Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Jun 2, 2003
114 posts
1 upvote
methinks that the readers on this thread would appreciate this update:

It is no longer possible to get a 10-day trip permit in Ontario as of 28 July 2008.

They have now switched to a 10-day temporary validation sticker which goes onto your existing plates.

In other words, when buying a vehicle, you now need to register the vehicle into your name, pay the Retail Sales Tax, and attach either new or existing plates to your vehicle, to get a temporary validation sticker. If buying a used vehicle, you will still need your safety and emissions test to get your regular validation sticker.

Another change, you are only allowed two 10-day temporary validations per vehicle in a 365 day period.
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2003
3776 posts
165 upvotes
Parents just picked up a 2008 Chevrolet Equinox Sport AWD for $21,500USD with 10,000 mi. How does that price sound? New MSRP is $38,000 in Canada and I found similar used in Canada for around $29,000.

Can someone telll me how the warranty works here in Canada for Chevrolet vehicles? Also anyone know what it takes to get daytime running lights on this thing? Wondering if it is as simple as changing a setting in the computer since the vehicle was made in Canada. Also anyone know if it has an immobilizer?

Thanks
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2008
7761 posts
197 upvotes
Justin wrote:
Aug 1st, 2008 8:30 pm
Parents just picked up a 2008 Chevrolet Equinox Sport AWD for $21,500USD with 10,000 mi. How does that price sound? New MSRP is $38,000 in Canada and I found similar used in Canada for around $29,000.

Can someone telll me how the warranty works here in Canada for Chevrolet vehicles? Also anyone know what it takes to get daytime running lights on this thing? Wondering if it is as simple as changing a setting in the computer since the vehicle was made in Canada. Also anyone know if it has an immobilizer?

Thanks
Chevrolet = GM, so no warrant in the first 12,000 kms AND 6 months...but coverage thereafter...
as for the running lights, use the search function for this forum and you will find some suggested DIY...immobilizer??? check the list of options the car has, or build it the same online
Mar 1, 2002
751 posts
158 upvotes
Justin wrote:

Thanks
You can check the VIN at a local Chev dealer to see what options it has. OR just look at the key. If it has a large head on it relative to other Chev keys, it probably has a chip in it for an immobilizer.
May 13, 2007
34 posts
docfreud wrote:
Aug 1st, 2008 7:36 pm
methinks that the readers on this thread would appreciate this update:

It is no longer possible to get a 10-day trip permit in Ontario as of 28 July 2008.

They have now switched to a 10-day temporary validation sticker which goes onto your existing plates.

In other words, when buying a vehicle, you now need to register the vehicle into your name, pay the Retail Sales Tax, and attach either new or existing plates to your vehicle, to get a temporary validation sticker. If buying a used vehicle, you will still need your safety and emissions test to get your regular validation sticker.

Another change, you are only allowed two 10-day temporary validations per vehicle in a 365 day period.
after visting MTO website I found the following:
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/vehicle/temp.htm
I hope this will work to take temporary plates to drive a car in Ontario for up to 10 days.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2001
3604 posts
84 upvotes
pulsar wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2008 10:24 am
You can check the VIN at a local Chev dealer to see what options it has. OR just look at the key. If it has a large head on it relative to other Chev keys, it probably has a chip in it for an immobilizer.
Most GM US vin's don't show in Cdn systems - but if you ask for an RPO list from the US dealer, it will give you what you are looking for.
What the H E double hockey sticks have I done now?
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2006
2727 posts
404 upvotes
The new "special permit" that they mentioned may just work! For a new car you need the NVIS (which I believe is equal to the MSO in the US) which would show that it's a "fit" vehicle - if it's used you need an inspection to show that it is fit.

" Service Locations

Temporary Vehicle Registration allows vehicles to be driven to licensing offices, garages (eg. to satisfy Safety Standards Certificate and/or Drive Clean requirements) and for other necessary short-term transportation purposes. Temporary Vehicle Registration is a
Feb 26, 2008
3 posts
Burnaby
Tuppin wrote:
Jul 30th, 2008 11:09 pm
After importing our Tribeca over 2 years ago, we just imported a 2008 VW eos hardtop convertible. Very happy having saved all that money. Now we have a great winter vehicle and a great summer vehicle. My father is thinking of importing his second vehicle as well.
Tuppin:

Would you mind giving me some details on your import experience for the VW Eos? I.e. where did you buy the Eos, how difficult was it to find a Canadian friendly VW dealership etc? There are not too many posts here about importing VW's.
I am potentially looking to import a 2008 Jetta. Well, I would actually prefer to get the new Jetta Wagon (Diesel), but unfortunately Volkswagen Canada will not honour anymore the US warranty for 2009 models.

PM me if you prefer. Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2008
7761 posts
197 upvotes
TiFo wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2008 12:35 am
Tuppin:

Would you mind giving me some details on your import experience for the VW Eos? I.e. where did you buy the Eos, how difficult was it to find a Canadian friendly VW dealership etc? There are not too many posts here about importing VW's.
I am potentially looking to import a 2008 Jetta. Well, I would actually prefer to get the new Jetta Wagon (Diesel), but unfortunately Volkswagen Canada will not honour anymore the US warranty for 2009 models.

PM me if you prefer. Thanks!
if VW canada doesn't honour the warranty...have you thought about 3rd party warranties??
Apr 26, 2004
614 posts
2 upvotes
Is it possible to purchase a vehicle in Florida, register it to my dad's place in Florida, get insurance for a year down there and then just drive it up here in Ontario? The car will spend 99% of the time in Ontario, not Florida.

Will this cause issues for me if I ever have an accident in Canada? I would assume it's just the same as me having insurance up here and driving down there.

If so, can I do this for a year or two and then "sell" the car to my wife or other family member for say $20000 instead of the original $30000 and save myself $1300 in taxes?
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2007
1581 posts
470 upvotes
Ottawa
Does anyone have any idea if an Exported Bentley would have a valid warranty in Canada?

I've looked everywhere, but came up empty. :confused:

Thanks!!
Nov 18, 2007
122 posts
3 upvotes
Windsor
irish80ca wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2008 11:06 am
Is it possible to purchase a vehicle in Florida, register it to my dad's place in Florida, get insurance for a year down there and then just drive it up here in Ontario? The car will spend 99% of the time in Ontario, not Florida.

Will this cause issues for me if I ever have an accident in Canada? I would assume it's just the same as me having insurance up here and driving down there.

If so, can I do this for a year or two and then "sell" the car to my wife or other family member for say $20000 instead of the original $30000 and save myself $1300 in taxes?
Don't even think of doing this. You will have both your provincial revenue agency and revenue Canada come after you. I think they will view ity as evasion. Since you don't live in the states, they will consider it avoidance.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2004
4397 posts
634 upvotes
Ottawa
irish80ca wrote:

zircon wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2008 7:56 pm
Don't even think of doing this. You will have both your provincial revenue agency and revenue Canada come after you. I think they will view ity as evasion. Since you don't live in the states, they will consider it avoidance.
Even if you the government doesn't come after you, you'll still come out behind. If you buy and register in FL, you'll pay state tax (6% to 7.5% depending on county) and then you sell to wife or family member, they'll pay PST & GST when they import.

i.e.

Buy in FL at $30k -> $31800 after tax (assuming 6%)
Sell to wife and she imports at $20k -> $22600
Total tax paid $4400

If you buy at $30K and import in Canada, you'll pay $3900 tax ...

Also note that most dealers in FL appear to charge tax unless you have the vehicle shipped ...
Dec 22, 2006
135 posts
10 upvotes
Calgary
Justin wrote:

Thanks
I thought all GM's in North America comes with DRL as standard equipment?
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2005
2123 posts
325 upvotes
Canada
It is agaist the law for a Canadian to drive a USA plated car in Canada, unless it is in the import process and taxes paid at the border

irish80ca wrote: