Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2004
4572 posts
739 upvotes
Ottawa
I'm just wondering if anyone has tried or knows if you can bring the car into Canada with the temp permit without actually importing at that time and go import it a few days later. We're picking up an RV in Arizona and will be driving back to Canada but we're doing a road trip at the same time so are thinking of entering of Canada in BC but I would prefer not having to do the actual import at that time (first, I'd rather not have to spend the time dealing with the import during the trip but second, if anything is wrong and we can't import immediately, we'd rather have that happen closer to home (Ottawa)).
Jan 1, 2007
82 posts
I am interested in some theories about reselling vehicles. I've done a few quick calculations and it seems it may be quite difficult, the main problem being that once you factor in the smaller fees plus let's say 15-18% extra exchange rate, plus in many cases (desirable vehicles) NAFTA fee plus another 13% in tax (for BC anyway) you often end up with a number fairly close to what you'd pay here for the same thing once you get a deal at a dealer or private sale.

From reading all 97 pages or so it seems you are all purchasing vehicles for your own use and saving some money, which is great. I personally don't even think this is bad for our economy like one guy was bitching about, fact is if you SAVE a lot of money that means you can spend it elsewhere, most likely within canada!

One thing is if you re-sell privately you can entice a buyer by letting them know they will save the GST on a private sale which they won't at a dealer Lot. On a 50k car that's 3k so not bad.

The other thing is, can you import a car get all the paper work done, pay the GST, NAFTA etc but NOT insure it hence not paying any PST on it. Then selling the car. That 7% difference will surely be important in a private re-sell.

What do you think?
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2004
1160 posts
39 upvotes
joeags wrote:
Jul 1st, 2006 2:35 am
Sorry for being off-topic. He quoted simple macroeconomics, and in a simplified format:

Vehicle made in Canada --> You buy --> Workers get paid --> They spend their money in Canada --> More workers get paid --> They spend the money in Canada --> helps the economy

Vehicle made in US or Japan or anywhere else --> You buy --> Workers get paid --> They spend their money in US or Japan --> Money exits the Canadian economy, which is bad for Canada

Extend that to many other portions of the buying process... dealers, contractors, stock owners, etc, and that's why people want you to buy locally. But you are out of the money that you could have saved. Tons of other social and economic aspects, but this is just a simple view of his rationale.

Who said I'd never use economics out of class. (Oh, me.) Now back on the subject of the deal itself!!!
I can't believe I'm replying to such an old quote. How's this scenario:

1) Buy domestic only -> domestic company stays afloat with your money even though it's not competitive in the world market -> exports fall -> less money comes into North America -> the terrorists win

Ok, the last part is a slight exaggeration.

I'm a firm believer that the cheapest and best product (highest overall value) should be the one consumer's purchase (assuming that it doesn't take advantage of child labour, environmental laws, etc) as it's the best option for promoting healthy competition and.. 'advancing society' (or at least technology and innovation).
Mar 30, 2007
268 posts
13 upvotes
michelb wrote:
Apr 2nd, 2007 11:09 pm
I'm just wondering if anyone has tried or knows if you can bring the car into Canada with the temp permit without actually importing at that time and go import it a few days later. We're picking up an RV in Arizona and will be driving back to Canada but we're doing a road trip at the same time so are thinking of entering of Canada in BC but I would prefer not having to do the actual import at that time (first, I'd rather not have to spend the time dealing with the import during the trip but second, if anything is wrong and we can't import immediately, we'd rather have that happen closer to home (Ottawa)).
nope - It's Illegal (in 99% of cases) for a Canadian to drive an American vehicle in Canada. You're gonna have to do the import the first time around. Shouldn't be much of a hassle just make sure you have all the right paperwork. You can then wait until you get home to Ottawa to do the federal inspection and deal with any modifications it might need, as long as you dont wait longer than 45 days from the initial import.
∙ Quarter Chicken Dinner ∙ White Meat ∙ Fries ∙ Extra Sauce
Feb 14, 2005
825 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
I have a quick question about temp registration for US vehicle.

Do I need to get registration from the DMV of the U.S. state where I'm buying the car?
OR can I just bring my current provincial plate, slap it onto the car and cross with it?
OR would my local provincial DMV need to issue me a temp registration to cross and import?

Thanks!
Jan 10, 2007
527 posts
129 upvotes
Montreal
It is even simpler than that. You get a temporary plate for x number of days from the dealer which allows you to drive with the vehicle until your paperwork is settled. You cannot register a vehicle without a title and new cars come with a certificate of origin which is a document sufficient to cross the border and obtain registration in your province.

I know from others, that in Ontario the insurance companies do ask you to use a temp plate form Ontario until you get your Ontario plates but I do not know why. You cannot just slap plates on a car you have not done the paperwork yet and paid taxes, that is illegal.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1347 posts
161 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
eljay wrote:
Apr 4th, 2007 7:12 am
I have a quick question about temp registration for US vehicle.

Do I need to get registration from the DMV of the U.S. state where I'm buying the car?
OR can I just bring my current provincial plate, slap it onto the car and cross with it?
OR would my local provincial DMV need to issue me a temp registration to cross and import?

Thanks!
According to my insurance company you need a temporary plate for every province or state you drive through. While you might get away saving a couple of bucks by not going down that route, if you had an accident, it would be an excellent reason to be denied coverage. This was confirmed with their underwriter who insisted on this.

If you try to go across the border with incorrectly tagged plates, you run the risk of getting your car impounded. There's no reason to do that. It is illegal to put plates on a car that isn't properly registered. Good luck trying to explain that to Customs while they rip the car apart looking for contraband.

All you need to get a temporary transit permit is the VIN number of the vehicle. In Ontario it's only $15.
Nov 5, 2003
373 posts
2 upvotes
Monsieurmaggot wrote:
Apr 4th, 2007 2:59 pm
According to my insurance company you need a temporary plate for every province or state you drive through. While you might get away saving a couple of bucks by not going down that route, if you had an accident, it would be an excellent reason to be denied coverage. This was confirmed with their underwriter who insisted on this.

If you try to go across the border with incorrectly tagged plates, you run the risk of getting your car impounded. There's no reason to do that. It is illegal to put plates on a car that isn't properly registered. Good luck trying to explain that to Customs while they rip the car apart looking for contraband.

All you need to get a temporary transit permit is the VIN number of the vehicle. In Ontario it's only $15.
Congrats on the Subie, Monsieurmaggot! In regards to the above post Saskatchewan just requires a temporary insurance card that is valid for 7 days from the date and time that you specify. I had temporary plates from
Washington state,BC and Alberta didn't require permits to travel through.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1347 posts
161 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Mongo wrote:
Apr 4th, 2007 3:20 pm
Congrats on the Subie, Monsieurmaggot! In regards to the above post Saskatchewan just requires a temporary insurance card that is valid for 7 days from the date and time that you specify. I had temporary plates from
Washington state,BC and Alberta didn't require permits to travel through.
That's good to know.

It's obvious that anyone reading these posts should confirm requirements from any jurisdiction they're planning on travelling through (as well as any requirement their insurer might want).

At the end of the day, there's very little cost to do this.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2004
6566 posts
164 upvotes
Vancouver
Just to recap, importing a 2007/2008 Ford will result in the warranty being fully transferrable? Now Ford USA has the 5 yr/60,000 mile powertrain warranty.
Feb 14, 2005
825 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
Monsieurmaggot wrote:
Apr 4th, 2007 2:59 pm

I was just checking Nova Scotia's policy on this and you can actually take off a plate from an old car (car I sold) and put it on a new one. Then you have 30 days to transfer the plate properly. See here:

After selling a vehicle, you can take your licence plates, and attach them to another vehicle you own (for example, another car you just bought), and drive it. You have up to 30 days to contact the Registry of Motor Vehicles to transfer your licence plate to your new vehicle and to get a new Vehicle Permit.
Source: http://www.gov.ns.ca/snsmr/paal/rmv/paal271.asp

Now, the question is, can I just put my NS plate on a car in say New Jersey and import it without a problem or do I need NJ temp permit to cross the border?
I actually plan to pick up a car on Saturday and drive it across on Sunday, so I won't have an option to visit DMV to get temp registration sticker.
Mar 7, 2007
6 posts
Thanks for all the info on importing. I just imported a 2004 Nissan Quest into Saskatchewan. No Problems At All. I would however like to change the speedometer over to km's. Does anyone have suggestions how to do this. :)
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
4593 posts
643 upvotes
SK
darrylgoossen wrote:
Apr 6th, 2007 1:01 am
Thanks for all the info on importing. I just imported a 2004 Nissan Quest into Saskatchewan. No Problems At All. I would however like to change the speedometer over to km's. Does anyone have suggestions how to do this. :)
As I mentioned to Mongo, I just moved to Regina and am wondering where the closest place to find Import cars in the US. All I can find listed are domestics in the bordering cities.
Where did you get yours from?
shopper-X
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2005
2074 posts
238 upvotes
North Vancouver
I went to Vancouver Autoshow today and check every car, most of them are
'baked' into the visor material. :mad: I believe the US Version Vehicle just have English and Spanish :razz: Does anybody know where I can buy one and how much will be?

michelb wrote:
Mar 30th, 2007 11:44 am
With some cars you can do that but on some models at least, the sticker is 'baked' into the visor material and you can't peal it off. As someone else mentioned, if your car doesn't have them, it's probably easier to buy them from a manufacturer that will sell just the sticker (I'm know even on our Chrysler, it's baked on to the visor so if you want the 'real' bilingual ones, you'd have to buy new visors).