Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Apr 26, 2004
614 posts
2 upvotes
HELP!!!!

I can't make up my mind.

I have 2 offers on the table.

Option #1:
2008 RAV4 4x4 V6 Limited in Blizzard Pearl.
Sunroof
JBL Stereo
Daytime running lights
Tint
Rear Bumper protector
Exclusive LIFETIMEwarranty direct from Toyota that is valid in Canada.
Yes, a lifetime warranty. First time i ever heard of it.

Total out the door cost: $28,900USD located in Florida.

Option #2
Same as above minus the lifetime warranty but it has:
Leather
Heated seats
Tow Prep package
floor mats

Total out the door cost: $28,600 + $400 for package prepared of all documents required at boarder and a 90 temp permit. Downside: Located in Arizona. Twice as far away.

Option #1 sounds the best I think???
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2006
2767 posts
425 upvotes
Things to consider:
1. Shipping from Arizona will cost even more than from Florida - probably almost double (~$900 from Fla. right?) or else you would have to drive it back.

2. How long do you plan on keeping the vehicle - lifetime powertrain warranty is not that big a deal if you're only keeping the car 5 yrs.

3. Have you ever had heated seats before? If not then no big deal - you can live without them - if you have had them then you'll probably want them especially with leather so that you don't freeze your butt off! :)

4. Do you plan to tow anything with it? If the car's not in inventory, why not ask for one without the tow package and save some $?

5. Did you mention the deal you're being offered in Fla to the Arizona dealer to see if he can better his deal? How does the sales tax issue play in both states?

irish80ca wrote:
Aug 12th, 2008 2:57 pm
HELP!!!!

I can't make up my mind.

Option #1:
Sunroof
JBL Stereo
Daytime running lights
Tint
Rear Bumper protector

Option #2
Leather
Heated seats
Tow Prep package
floor mats

Total out the door cost: $28,600 + $400 for package prepared of all documents required at boarder and a 90 temp permit. Downside: Located in Arizona. Twice as far away.

Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2004
4818 posts
922 upvotes
Ottawa
irish80ca wrote:
HELP!!!!

..Exclusive LIFETIMEwarranty direct from Toyota that is valid in Canada.

I'd find out more about this. Is this offered by Toyota or by the dealership? Who's telling you it's valid in Canada; is it the salesperson or customer service / claims? What does it cover? Is it transferable (probably not)? Assuming it's not transferable, how long do you plan on keeping the car (if you don't plan on keeping it for more than 4-5 years, it's probably not really a big deal)? How important are the other things (leather, tow package, etc)
Apr 26, 2004
614 posts
2 upvotes
mangoman wrote:
Aug 12th, 2008 3:15 pm
Things to consider:
1. Shipping from Arizona will cost even more than from Florida - probably almost double (~$900 from Fla. right?) or else you would have to drive it back.

2. How long do you plan on keeping the vehicle - lifetime powertrain warranty is not that big a deal if you're only keeping the car 5 yrs.

3. Have you ever had heated seats before? If not then no big deal - you can live without them - if you have had them then you'll probably want them especially with leather so that you don't freeze your butt off! :)

4. Do you plan to tow anything with it? If the car's not in inventory, why not ask for one without the tow package and save some $?

5. Did you mention the deal you're being offered in Fla to the Arizona dealer to see if he can better his deal? How does the sales tax issue play in both states?

Yep, this is what I'm stuck on, lol.

I've asked the Florida dealer for more warranty details and just waiting to hear back.

As for the taxes...here's what gets me:

The Florida dealer is charging me sales tax saying i have to register a new vehicle in the USA first before exporting to Canada.

The Arizona dealer is not and the Arizona dealer is also saying that I will not have to pay taxes either.

I have my dad's address in Florida but he tells me he only needs that address for Toyota's Internal use. Once he sells me the car, I simply drive it to Canada and register there. I do not have to register the vehicle in the USA, hence no Florida sales taxes.

Apparently he's been doing this for a few years now with Canadians and never had an issue.

Does this sound correct?

If I didn't have to register in the states I'd save $1700 off the Florida quote.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2004
4818 posts
922 upvotes
Ottawa
irish80ca wrote:
Aug 12th, 2008 3:34 pm
Yep, this is what I'm stuck on, lol.

I've asked the Florida dealer for more warranty details and just waiting to hear back.

As for the taxes...here's what gets me:

The Florida dealer is charging me sales tax saying i have to register a new vehicle in the USA first before exporting to Canada.

The Arizona dealer is not and the Arizona dealer is also saying that I will not have to pay taxes either.

I have my dad's address in Florida but he tells me he only needs that address for Toyota's Internal use. Once he sells me the car, I simply drive it to Canada and register there. I do not have to register the vehicle in the USA, hence no Florida sales taxes.

Apparently he's been doing this for a few years now with Canadians and never had an issue.

Does this sound correct?

If I didn't have to register in the states I'd save $1700 off the Florida quote.
The tax thing doesn't surprise me at all. In FL, the dealer must charge tax if you are a FL resident. In AZ, sounds like they don't have a tax agreement with Fl so the dealer does not charge you any tax if you give him a FL address. As far as actually registering it there, the AZ dealer doesn't know anything about that and doesn't care (he's not going to go with you to do it).

One thing to confirm as that they don't require you to have a DL at your dad's address in FL (I spoke to a dealership about doing the same thing with a friends US address and was about to sign when they mentioned that I had to have a DL at that address).
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2005
1133 posts
52 upvotes
Mississauga
Anyone who has recently imported a Toyota Sienna from around the Niagara Falls Area wouldn't mind PM me the dealership?

thanks for your help.....
Apr 26, 2004
614 posts
2 upvotes
michelb wrote:
Aug 12th, 2008 4:40 pm
The tax thing doesn't surprise me at all. In FL, the dealer must charge tax if you are a FL resident. In AZ, sounds like they don't have a tax agreement with Fl so the dealer does not charge you any tax if you give him a FL address. As far as actually registering it there, the AZ dealer doesn't know anything about that and doesn't care (he's not going to go with you to do it).

One thing to confirm as that they don't require you to have a DL at your dad's address in FL (I spoke to a dealership about doing the same thing with a friends US address and was about to sign when they mentioned that I had to have a DL at that address).
So I'm wondering, am I legally supposed to register the vehicle in Florida before importing to Canada?

If not, I had a few dealers in New York that would sell me a new vehicle and provide me with a temp permit to drive the vehicle until I have it registered in Florida.

What's to stop me from saying "sure" and then just drive from the lot to the boarder???
Banned
May 24, 2008
647 posts
722 upvotes
Someone in the business was telling me that about 60% of the used car market on the Niagara peninsula is cars imported from the US. Not sure I believe that, but that's what he said. People down there cross the border all the time and are used to getting better prices.
Nov 30, 2006
204 posts
41 upvotes
Edmonton
I recently purchased a 07 Tacoma from a Honda dealership in Miami.
They Fedexed 2 forms that required me to have signed and notarized and Fedexed back to them. This was regarding the out of state purchase and exempted the dealer from collecting the tax. Might apply to a new vehicle purchase also.
Nov 18, 2007
122 posts
3 upvotes
Windsor
Anonymouse wrote:
Aug 12th, 2008 1:02 pm
Thanks- I was not aware that the 6 year 100000 mile warranty was a CPO warranty. The ad for the car I'm interested in says "extended 6 year 100000 mile warranty" and also mentions that it's a CPO car, so they must be talking about CPO.
CPO = certified pre-owned. It extends from 4 yrs to 6 yrs or 50,000 to 100,000 miles the original warranty. Not sure of its value in Canada, I assume about 2K for the certifiied warranty. I would not buy a German car without an extended warranty. Good luck if you buy. Note that the market is cooling in the states for luxury cars, and you should be able to negotiate. Best of luck.
Jun 24, 2007
138 posts
rjmbc wrote:
Aug 11th, 2008 11:21 am
Just had a dealer in Oregon tell me he could not sell to Canadians (last week) so we used a "work around". Other dealers (in Washington) appear to be advertising to the Canadian consumers but are quoting higher prices but still discounting off of MSRP. Seems to be a mixed message.
Pressure I don't know about. I do know of a few other dealers here who have stopped selling to Canadians, but I haven't heard anything -- I can still sell to canadians, and discount off MSRP, although it's sadly not what it used to be. (Ahh, the good old days of below invoice..). And of course there are work arounds for everything, but the game has still changed drastically from what it once was-I don't sell 30 cars a month to Canada anymore :cheesygri
Oct 14, 2007
109 posts
Pierrefonds, Quebec
Stew Low, the Director of Communications of GM Canada, today replied to one of the articles in the Gazette dated August 6th.

2008-08-13gm.pdf

Open Letter to Mr. Low,

Mr. Low, in your letter to the editor of August 13th, you indicate that the Gazette article of August 6th unfairly criticized GM and that the writer
Standing Up for Consumers / Fair Automobile Pricing For Canadians
Please visit our site, sign our petition advocating Fair Pricing For Canadians, keep up with the latest import news, join our forum and team of members located all across Canada and 123 countries. All for free.
CarsWithoutBorders.com
http://www.carswithoutborders.com/CWBlogowithwords.jpg
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2008
4895 posts
811 upvotes
Anonymouse wrote:
Aug 12th, 2008 1:02 pm
Thanks- I was not aware that the 6 year 100000 mile warranty was a CPO warranty. The ad for the car I'm interested in says "extended 6 year 100000 mile warranty" and also mentions that it's a CPO car, so they must be talking about CPO.
Many CPO warranties are NOT valid in Canada. Some brands where the CPO warranty isn't valid in Canada that come to mind, if I remember correctly, are: M-B, BMW, Lexus, & Acura. I looked at those brands before importing, I didn't look at all brands obviously, so please confirm with the Cdn subsidiary to ensure before buying that the CPO is valid. Make a low-ball offer & say that you can't pay anymore because the CPO isn't valid in Canada.
Banned
May 24, 2008
647 posts
722 upvotes
Thanks for the very useful negotiating strategy - I will definitely use that. You should see all the brand new V70s still in their plastic wrapping rusting on the local dealer's lot. They practically came running when I pulled in.

They wanted the same price for their 2005 V70 with 60k as the Toronto dealers want for their 2006s with 40k, which is in turn about $4k above the currency-adjusted American price.

The only question I have at this point is whether the V70s sold in Florida are the same as the ones sold in Northern states wrt heated seats/rear defrost. I'd guess they're all the same, but it would be nice to know for sure.
Sep 20, 2007
13 posts
Saskatoon
I'd travel for the heated seats, I'm in Canada :) and my experience is you want these things for a speedy resale. So many asked me if it had leather and heated seats. ... good luck

irish80ca wrote:
HELP!!!!

I can't make up my mind.

Option #1:
Sunroof
JBL Stereo
Daytime running lights
Tint
Rear Bumper protector

Option #2
Leather
Heated seats
Tow Prep package
floor mats