Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Jul 24, 2007
545 posts
1 upvote
As some of you old timers in this thread know, I bought my 2007 Altima in Maryland. My sister asked me to priced a 2009 Nissan Rogue for her as she sold her old car (2001 Sentra) today for $6,300. She and her husband are looking to buy in the next few weeks. So here is my expose on gouging that we are still getting from the Canadian headquarters of manufacturers.

The Canadian base price of the Rogue SL AWD is $29,598. If you add the AWD Premium Package and Leather Package ($4,600) and $1,500 freight/PDI (ripoff no matter what they Nissan Canada will claim as you will read below where the car is made and shipped from), the price goes up to $35, 698. Plus 13% sales, $100 excise tax and $75 gas tax. Add in the the calculated interest (according to Nissan Canada's website if you pay in 4 yrs) is $1588. Total on-the-road price is $42,102 for a frikkin' 4-cylinder car!!!!!!!!

Now, take a seat and prepare yourself for some heart-breaking insult when compared to the US pricing from the dealer I bought my car from. The internet price of the same car with the same equipment packages is $24110 (that already includes the freight/PDI; called destination in the US; a Maryland temporary tag and processing fee of $139). I converted the US price to today's rate of $1.062 and added the 6.1% duty since the car is made in Japan. I've added the 13% sales taxes, RIV fee, gas and excise taxes, and assuming the car loan interest they will get from their bank is around $1,400 since they have $6,300 proceeds from their old car, the car just cost CAD$ 30,885! The approximate savings will be $9,800!!!! A US$500 discount off the internet price might still be given as this was an internet transaction. I got that discount when I picked up my car.

Aren't we still being gouged, insulted and taken for idiots who don't know how to use the power of the Internet?!!!! It's been more than a year now that the CAD is a bed f#@&ing partner of the USD and the price discrepancy is still staggering! What lame excuses are we gonna get from Nissan Canada again? That it came from Japan and Canada's port of entry is a bit of a left turn and further from California's? That the battery for Canadian-spec cars is a heavier duty one??? PLEASE!!

My sister's passport is valid. So is mine. Off to Maryland!

Monsieurmaggot, what do you think?
Nov 18, 2007
122 posts
3 upvotes
Windsor
diigii wrote:
Aug 14th, 2008 7:08 pm
As some of you old timers in this thread know, I bought my 2007 Altima in Maryland. My sister asked me to priced a 2009 Nissan Rogue for her as she sold her old car (2001 Sentra) today for $6,300. She and her husband are looking to buy in the next few weeks. So here is my expose on gouging that we are still getting from the Canadian headquarters of manufacturers.

The Canadian base price of the Rogue SL AWD is $29,598. If you add the AWD Premium Package and Leather Package ($4,600) and $1,500 freight/PDI (ripoff no matter what they Nissan Canada will claim as you will read below where the car is made and shipped from), the price goes up to $35, 698. Plus 13% sales, $100 excise tax and $75 gas tax. Add in the the calculated interest (according to Nissan Canada's website if you pay in 4 yrs) is $1588. Total on-the-road price is $42,102 for a frikkin' 4-cylinder car!!!!!!!!

Now, take a seat and prepare yourself for some heart-breaking insult when compared to the US pricing from the dealer I bought my car from. The internet price of the same car with the same equipment packages is $24110 (that already includes the freight/PDI; called destination in the US; a Maryland temporary tag and processing fee of $139). I converted the US price to today's rate of $1.062 and added the 6.1% duty since the car is made in Japan. I've added the 13% sales taxes, RIV fee, gas and excise taxes, and assuming the car loan interest they will get from their bank is around $1,400 since they have $6,300 proceeds from their old car, the car just cost CAD$ 30,885! The approximate savings will be $9,800!!!! A US$500 discount off the internet price might still be given as this was an internet transaction. I got that discount when I picked up my car.

Aren't we still being gouged, insulted and taken for idiots who don't know how to use the power of the Internet?!!!! It's been more than a year now that the CAD is a bed f#@&ing partner of the USD and the price discrepancy is still staggering! What lame excuses are we gonna get from Nissan Canada again? That it came from Japan and Canada's port of entry is a bit of a left turn and further from California's? That the battery for Canadian-spec cars is a heavier duty one??? PLEASE!!

Excellent example of one of the most outrageous price discrepancies out there. In fact, it is worse than stated since this was a brand new model and there were no preexisting prices to contend with, Nissan had the opportunity to address the price differential. Instead, they rip Canadian off and fools here still buy their product. Expect this to continue so long as people act like sheep. The only way to address this is by using your head and buying in the states. good luck.
Jul 24, 2007
545 posts
1 upvote
I've done it before with my '07 Altima and the process should be a breeze. The only difference in this 2008/09 Rogue is adding the 6.1% duty calculation. I would do it again for my sister, when she finally decides to go with it. Well, she kinda did decided on it when she asked me to contact my salesperson. I'm even willing to go with them to Maryland again just so I can visit and would want to see the bitchy US Customs female officer again. :cheesygri
zircon wrote:
Aug 14th, 2008 11:30 pm
Excellent example of one of the most outrageous price discrepancies out there. In fact, it is worse than stated since this was a brand new model and there were no preexisting prices to contend with, Nissan had the opportunity to address the price differential. Instead, they rip Canadian off and fools here still buy their product. Expect this to continue so long as people act like sheep. The only way to address this is by using your head and buying in the states. good luck.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2001
1505 posts
43 upvotes
Maple
Hey guys, for those of you who got Subie's with GPS, have you been able to get any updated DVD's for it? It seems the v.2 DVD that came with the cars is a bit outdated.
Jul 23, 2003
829 posts
4 upvotes
Lindsay
diigii wrote:
Aug 14th, 2008 7:08 pm

Nice deals but I am afraid that if you call the dealer you will discover that you cannot get that price unless you register it in the US..It includes rebates which Nissan dealers ACCROSS THE US can only give to someone inthe lower 48. I have tried to get a 2008 Quest at prices as low as 15,900 (vs 31k here) and no dealers can give the 10k+ in rebates...GOOD LUCK, though..
RFD importer of 2007 Nissan Maxima..savings of 14k
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2004
4892 posts
985 upvotes
Ottawa
Anonymouse wrote:
Aug 13th, 2008 9:22 pm

The only question I have at this point is whether the V70s sold in Florida are the same as the ones sold in Northern states wrt heated seats/rear defrost. I'd guess they're all the same, but it would be nice to know for sure.
Unfortunately, most of the Volvos sold in Florida do not have the 'cold weather pkg' (heated seats + headlight wipers and traction control on some models (might be other stuff too)) (you do get a rear defroster though). When you look at pics, it's pretty easy to tell if it has it or not; front pics you will (or won't) see the wipers for the headlights and interior pics will have 2 buttons with pics for the heated seats below the rear/mirror defrosters (left side of climate control) (if you don't have the heated seats, they are just black 'dummy' buttons).
Deal Fanatic
Jun 2, 2006
6079 posts
859 upvotes
Mississauga
I have a relative in Boston who I plan to ask to buy a Toyota for me (since the dealership is so reluctant to sell to a Canadian) and I will then purchase it from them and drive it back. My question is, will this lead to any problems to my relative later on? Will they have to report it to the IRS and be taxed? Not sure how it works on their end and I don't want the purchase to be a hassle for them later on.
Banned
May 24, 2008
647 posts
722 upvotes
I wondered the same thing. I think the money you pay your relative for the car would be considered taxable income for him/her. Maybe call the IRS and report back. I'm sure there are a lot of people who are interested in this, so any solid information you can provide would be appreciated.

Perhaps if you wire the money directly to the dealer, the IRS would not count it as income, but this is pure speculation on my part.

EDIT: It seems I was wrong about this - I found this on the IRS website: [QUOTE]
Sale of personal items. If you sold an item you owned for personal use, such as a car, refrigerator, furniture, stereo, jewelry, or silverware, your gain is taxable as a capital gain. Report it on Schedule D (Form 1040). You cannot deduct a loss.
[/QUOTE]

It seems that if what the IRS calls the "basis" equals the selling price, there is no tax payable, although your relative would have to report it on Form 1040.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2008
7782 posts
200 upvotes
Longobongo wrote:
Aug 15th, 2008 11:43 am
I have a relative in Boston who I plan to ask to buy a Toyota for me (since the dealership is so reluctant to sell to a Canadian) and I will then purchase it from them and drive it back. My question is, will this lead to any problems to my relative later on? Will they have to report it to the IRS and be taxed? Not sure how it works on their end and I don't want the purchase to be a hassle for them later on.
not sure why they would be taxed...it's not like they'll make any $$ from the transaction..my inlaws had his nephew buy an Enclave in Michigan and then bought it from him.

i guess it would be prudent to keep on documents to prove that no income was made though.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2008
7782 posts
200 upvotes
johnsa wrote:
Aug 15th, 2008 8:48 am
Nice deals but I am afraid that if you call the dealer you will discover that you cannot get that price unless you register it in the US..It includes rebates which Nissan dealers ACCROSS THE US can only give to someone inthe lower 48. I have tried to get a 2008 Quest at prices as low as 15,900 (vs 31k here) and no dealers can give the 10k+ in rebates...GOOD LUCK, though..
yes, but the work around maybe to buy from a dealer in a different state that you use to "register" the vehicle. ie: buy from NY state, but say you're from Michigan and will register it there once you get it ... this is also a work around from some to avoid paying state taxes if i'm not mistaken.
Jul 23, 2003
829 posts
4 upvotes
Lindsay
sienna owner wrote:
Aug 15th, 2008 12:20 pm
yes, but the work around maybe to buy from a dealer in a different state that you use to "register" the vehicle. ie: buy from NY state, but say you're from Michigan and will register it there once you get it ... this is also a work around from some to avoid paying state taxes if i'm not mistaken.
Good luck with that..several dealers have told me they need a state DRL and proof of ins for the state you are living in....
RFD importer of 2007 Nissan Maxima..savings of 14k
Deal Fanatic
Jun 2, 2006
6079 posts
859 upvotes
Mississauga
It looks like you only have to report it if the sale was a captial gain. This sounds like a reasonable alternative.
Anonymouse wrote:
Aug 15th, 2008 11:52 am
I wondered the same thing. I think the money you pay your relative for the car would be considered taxable income for him/her. Maybe call the IRS and report back. I'm sure there are a lot of people who are interested in this, so any solid information you can provide would be appreciated.

Perhaps if you wire the money directly to the dealer, the IRS would not count it as income, but this is pure speculation on my part.

EDIT: It seems I was wrong about this - I found this on the IRS website:

It seems that if what the IRS calls the "basis" equals the selling price, there is no tax payable, although your relative would have to report it on Form 1040.
Oct 9, 2007
14 posts
I am looking to import a Nissan Pathfinder either used or new. Is it hard to find a niisan dealer to sell you a new one. I imported a Highlander last year and had to settle for one that was 3 months old (10k) - still saved 10 000 easy. Oh - does Nissan honor their warranties in Canada?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2008
7782 posts
200 upvotes
johnsa wrote:
Aug 15th, 2008 12:54 pm
Good luck with that..several dealers have told me they need a state DRL and proof of ins for the state you are living in....
depends on the dealer requirements....got a Sienna using only a relative's address...did not have to use anything else that was US...DRL, SIN, insurance, American Bank Draft, etc....unlike my inlaw that had to provide all that for Buick Enclave.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2008
7782 posts
200 upvotes
ggobble wrote:
Aug 15th, 2008 2:24 pm
I am looking to import a Nissan Pathfinder either used or new. Is it hard to find a niisan dealer to sell you a new one. I imported a Highlander last year and had to settle for one that was 3 months old (10k) - still saved 10 000 easy. Oh - does Nissan honor their warranties in Canada?
there a lot of post on here already about Nissan's warranties, however because of the complicity of it, you may be better off calling Nissan Canada....variables: if you register it in the states and then in CAN within 6 months, etc etc...