Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Apr 20, 2006
89 posts
16 upvotes
I do not know if this is B*****T the US dealers are dishing out or if it is really true.

I have heard from two dealers stating that if an individual tells them that they are taking the car to Canada, the new agreement states that they cannot sell a car to the individual.

This is crazy, I am looking to purchase a new or used Camry and I cannot find the right price.

Anyways, if anyone has purchased a Toyota within the last few months, may I please request that you PM me the dealership that will sell to Canadians.

If there is a class action lawsuit going on I have a large number of Emails that state specifically they will not sell to Canadians.

Bruce
Aug 23, 2008
7 posts
Edmonton
My Mazda deal collapsed due to rediculous pricing. Does anyone have either or Toyota or Mazda dealer close to Edmonton that is willing to treat Canadians fairly?
Mar 14, 2005
879 posts
77 upvotes
bruceferns wrote:
Sep 5th, 2008 2:35 pm
I do not know if this is B*****T the US dealers are dishing out or if it is really true.

I have heard from two dealers stating that if an individual tells them that they are taking the car to Canada, the new agreement states that they cannot sell a car to the individual.

This is crazy, I am looking to purchase a new or used Camry and I cannot find the right price.

Anyways, if anyone has purchased a Toyota within the last few months, may I please request that you PM me the dealership that will sell to Canadians.

If there is a class action lawsuit going on I have a large number of Emails that state specifically they will not sell to Canadians.

Bruce
http://www.toyotakeene.com/canadian.htm
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2004
3183 posts
30 upvotes
Is it a good choice to go for the certified used cars at honda.ca or acura.ca that come with 6 year pt warranty? instead of buying from a local dealer or pvt seller if the price diff is not significant...
HEATWARE 47+ : BST 27+ : EBAY 212+ (links on request)
Nov 28, 2007
173 posts
8 upvotes
Kelowna
LVC70 wrote:
Sep 5th, 2008 2:46 pm
My Mazda deal collapsed due to rediculous pricing. Does anyone have either or Toyota or Mazda dealer close to Edmonton that is willing to treat Canadians fairly?
I can supply dealer contacts for either Toyota or Mazda in Montana & Oregon. PM me if you want the information.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2004
2225 posts
281 upvotes
London
I was told GM does not allow US dealer sell new car to Canadian, is it ture? How about asking a US friend buy the new car first and trade with him as used?
No external links in signatures.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2008
7781 posts
200 upvotes
hardywang wrote:
Sep 5th, 2008 7:37 pm
I was told GM does not allow US dealer sell new car to Canadian, is it ture? How about asking a US friend buy the new car first and trade with him as used?
in-law had his nephew purchase it and then "sold" privately to him...taxes had to be paid.
Mar 14, 2005
879 posts
77 upvotes
hagbard wrote:
Sep 5th, 2008 4:38 pm
What am I missing, don't seem to be any savings there. Unless they are selling to us for less than the MLP on their site.
All I did was answer the OP question on a Toyota US dealer that will sell to Canadians - the rest is up to the OP.
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
30078 posts
1344 upvotes
Fernando Po
Is Van Bortel still the best place near Ontario (I'm near Windsor) to buy a Subaru Outback? This is what they're offering me:

"The base Outback 2.5i has a factory invoice price of $22,005 including freight and manual transmission. Automatic adds $912 bringing the invoice price to $22,917. The Outback 2.5i Special Edition manual transmission is $23,506 and the automatic is $24,418."

Other dealers?
Nov 18, 2007
9 posts
hardywang wrote:
Sep 5th, 2008 7:37 pm
You are correct that GM won't sell NEW to Canadians but will sell used.

If you plan on doing the friend buy one and re sell deal, check into it as it still could be a deal but you have to pay Taxes up front on MRSP price---not final sale price. So if the MRSP is 40,000.00 but rebates and such bring it down to 30,000.00 you pay state tax on 10,000.00 and if your in Seattle it's 9.3%. You also have to pay for registration also. In the end it's a lot of wasted $$$ for a deal especially when you come home and have to pay another 5% and whatever other provincal tax.
Nov 28, 2007
173 posts
8 upvotes
Kelowna
Slider0906 wrote:
Sep 6th, 2008 12:20 pm
You are correct that GM won't sell NEW to Canadians but will sell used.

If you plan on doing the friend buy one and re sell deal, check into it as it still could be a deal but you have to pay Taxes up front on MRSP price---not final sale price. So if the MRSP is 40,000.00 but rebates and such bring it down to 30,000.00 you pay state tax on 10,000.00 and if your in Seattle it's 9.3%. You also have to pay for registration also. In the end it's a lot of wasted $$$ for a deal especially when you come home and have to pay another 5% and whatever other provincal tax.
Just buy in a state with no taxes- Montana/Oregon/Alaska - in the west. I believe there are ones in the east as well.
Nov 18, 2007
9 posts
rjmbc wrote:
Sep 6th, 2008 12:30 pm
Just buy in a state with no taxes- Montana/Oregon/Alaska - in the west. I believe there are ones in the east as well.
good point, as long as you have friends and family in those states.
Nov 18, 2007
9 posts
Anyone recommend any Vehicle carriers out there besides uship.com?

Looking to ship from Alabama to Montana.

Thanks
Aug 9, 2006
182 posts
8 upvotes
Anyone who has imported lately? What is the best port to use in the Niagara area?

Please tell your experience on the doc needed (e.g., faxing the title 72hrs in advance, whether 2 physical copies of titles needed when crossing, ...) in exporting through the particular USA port office.

Thanks and appreciate the sharing.