Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Aug 9, 2006
190 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
GreenLotus wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2008 9:37 pm
the 2009 RAV4 Base 4WD. Without discount this car cost $32,030 on the road. The salesperson said at most they can take $2,200 off the total.
This is a Canadian Toyota Dealer?? They quoted you $29830 ON THE ROAD??! This price seems amazing, 'cuz I checked Toyota US's site, and the price on the road for zip 14201 would be US$23,765, which at 18% exch. is C$28042 out the door (no state sales tax for Cdns at NY dealers).

Then add G/PST and 6.1% duty and your price for the US RAV4 is C$33621 'in your driveway'.

That means that the Canadian RAV4 is about $3800 cheaper than the US one! Can anyone verify this? Forgive my overuse of punctuation, I'm just floored...
Jan 8, 2008
704 posts
34 upvotes
Calgary
jed wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2008 2:54 am
Hope that the dealership will do mine too! Get a copy of the warranty work order for your records to make sure it doesn't come back to bite you in the way of charging you.
Turns out I misunderstood :o

It was something the dealership had to do on their end. Nothing was done to my Outlook
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2006
2559 posts
1049 upvotes
[QUOTE]Originally Posted by GreenLotus
the 2009 RAV4 Base 4WD. Without discount this car cost $32,030 on the road. The salesperson said at most they can take $2,200 off the total.[/QUOTE]

I show an average of $21000.00 (rough) all in to buy from the states. Add the riv fee/GST/ Duty (are these things made in Canada yet??)/exchange and I get 28663.00. (alberta numbers so no PST)

In alberta the all in price for a base model on the website is $29619.00. You should be able to get it for cheaper.

invoice + freight in the states is 20633.00.
Oct 5, 2007
142 posts
2 upvotes
MMMM wrote:
Dec 24th, 2008 11:26 pm
I show an average of $21000.00 (rough) all in to buy from the states. Add the riv fee/GST/ Duty (are these things made in Canada yet??)/exchange and I get 28663.00. (alberta numbers so no PST)

In alberta the all in price for a base model on the website is $29619.00. You should be able to get it for cheaper.

invoice + freight in the states is 20633.00.
Thank you for sharing the information. I am going to put in an offer on Boxing day. Hopefully, things go well.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
1468 posts
18 upvotes
Have you taken a look at a Subaru Forester? It might be worth looking into if you have not considered it yet.
www.subaru.ca
Jul 30, 2007
54 posts
Edmonton, Alberta
Disada wrote:
Dec 25th, 2008 2:43 am
Have you taken a look at a Subaru Forester? It might be worth looking into if you have not considered it yet.
www.subaru.ca
I also recommend looking at a Forester. The only thing that I don't like about it is the 4-speed automatic tranny.

Hey Subaru! 1996 called and it wants it's transmissions back!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1347 posts
160 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
cinqhoda wrote:
Dec 29th, 2008 10:44 pm
I also recommend looking at a Forester. The only thing that I don't like about it is the 4-speed automatic tranny.

Hey Subaru! 1996 called and it wants it's transmissions back!
He He. That's a good one.

So speaking of pricing, the stone chips I suffered on my windshield last winter driving on the "why the hell do I pay taxes when the 401 is falling apart" now have gone the extra step.

A few days ago after the endless freeze/thaw cycle in Toronto, I was driving along the highway when I heard on the radio that the road up ahead was falling apart and ashphalt debris was flying everywhere. Unfortunately a truck in front of me launched a loonie sized piece of asphalt into my windshield. The damn thing finally gave up and cracked.

Since I drive a Subaru with a heated windshield, I decided to price around a replacement. The average cost for an original replacement in Toronto is about $1000. A third-party windshield costs about $600.

In the US I can get a factory windshield for $400US. and a third-party one for about $275US.

No one's making any money up here. Nope.
I've been on RFDs for over a decade. My award-winning thread from 2006 is still going strong and one of the most popular on this site!
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
3348 posts
600 upvotes
Monsieurmaggot wrote:
Dec 30th, 2008 1:25 pm
He He. That's a good one.

So speaking of pricing, the stone chips I suffered on my windshield last winter driving on the "why the hell do I pay taxes when the 401 is falling apart" now have gone the extra step.

A few days ago after the endless freeze/thaw cycle in Toronto, I was driving along the highway when I heard on the radio that the road up ahead was falling apart and ashphalt debris was flying everywhere. Unfortunately a truck in front of me launched a loonie sized piece of asphalt into my windshield. The damn thing finally gave up and cracked.

Since I drive a Subaru with a heated windshield, I decided to price around a replacement. The average cost for an original replacement in Toronto is about $1000. A third-party windshield costs about $600.

In the US I can get a factory windshield for $400US. and a third-party one for about $275US.

No one's making any money up here. Nope.
Why don't you claim it thorough the insurance company ? Similar thing happened to me and they fixed it without it counting as a claim.
Heatware 3-0
Homer Simpson - Marge, don't discourage the boy! Weaseling out of things is what separates us from animals - except for the weasel.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
4582 posts
604 upvotes
SK
tkl wrote:
Dec 30th, 2008 4:21 pm
Why don't you claim it thorough the insurance company ? Similar thing happened to me and they fixed it without it counting as a claim.
+1
My cousin did a claim with the Ministry of Transportation of Ontario and they paid for the windshield repairs.

I'll dig/seach my email when I get home and post it tonight.
shopper-X
------------
mbk.2k3's PlayBook Tips Thread
[shortened link removed]
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1347 posts
160 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
My deductible is higher than the claim (depending on who I go with).

It's not worth the hassle if the pricing comes in the same.

I'm waiting to hear back from some local shops since they're all telling me that it's a special order from Carlex (the exclusive supplier of Subaru heated windshields). There are some third-party units around but the installers can't guarantee the heater will work or even if the connectors will match.

If I buy it from my local Subaru dealer, they call in the folks from Speedy or Apple to do the changeover.
I've been on RFDs for over a decade. My award-winning thread from 2006 is still going strong and one of the most popular on this site!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1347 posts
160 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
shopper-X wrote:
Dec 30th, 2008 4:31 pm
+1
My cousin did a claim with the Ministry of Transportation of Ontario and they paid for the windshield repairs.

That would be fantastic if you can find the link I along with other Ontario RFDers would greatly appreciate it.
Dec 5, 2007
278 posts
46 upvotes
Toronto
shopper-X wrote:
Dec 30th, 2008 4:31 pm
+1

+1 Let me know of the info.

I have a windshield that is 40 days new. It's all pitted and has one long crack already courtesy of the 401.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
4582 posts
604 upvotes
SK
Monsieurmaggot wrote:
Dec 30th, 2008 4:36 pm
That would be fantastic if you can find the link I along with other Ontario RFDers would greatly appreciate it.
Okay, Gmail is blocked at work but not on my cell phone, I found the details:

Ontario Ministry of Transportation is responsible for the damage.
Start here:
http://www.mississauga.ca/portal/reside ... =faqAnswer
*Vehicle Damage - I have damaged my vehicle on one of the following highways:
HWY 403, HWY 401, HWY 410 or QEW or an on-ramp or off-ramp to one of these
highways. What should I do?*

*Answer* These highways are under the
jurisdiction of the Ontario Ministry of Transportation, not the City. Be
sure to see a licensed vehicle mechanic to determine the extent of damage.
Contact your automobile insurance company as you may have coverage for this
type of loss. Alternatively, submit your claim in writing to:

*Ontario Ministry of Transportation Management Board & Secretariat
Risk Management and Insurance Services
6 - 700 University Ave.
Toronto ON M7A 2S4

Or telephone them at (416) 314-3440.*
shopper-X
------------
mbk.2k3's PlayBook Tips Thread
[shortened link removed]
Oct 31, 2007
12 posts
ON, Canada
PrimeBane wrote:
Dec 18th, 2008 1:07 pm
Well, I took my Saturn in today for an oil change, etc and they told me they have to change out the cluster... thankfully it's not costing me a cent to have it done.

Talking to the lady in the service bay, some GM dealerships in Canada have taken heck from corporate about providing warranty service without the cluster being changed out.

So what is the deal with the cluster? Is it the responsibility of the owner to change it out or is this something GM should be doing for it's customers? If GM is charging, is this just another cash grab and deterrent to get Canadians to buy local much like what BMW is doing?
I've been taking my imported GMC truck to a local GMC dealer for warranty work for 12 months without any issues. This past summer I took it to the other GMC dealer in my area, only to be told I needed the cluster swapped out before they could do any work. My cluster was MPH only, and it would not switch to KPH. They wanted me to pay for the cluster and the labour. I told her where she could stick her cluster, and I went back to my normal dealer. He had no problem doing the work. I called up GM Canada to complain about that dealer, but they didn't care.