Ongoing Deal Discussion

Always

WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Aug 15, 2003
82 posts
If I buy a used car in the US will I have to pay their state tax even though I'm Canadian? For example the sales tax on cars in New Jersey is 6%, will I be required to pay that?
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1475 posts
181 upvotes
Mississauga
DrkMnX wrote:If I buy a used car in the US will I have to pay their state tax even though I'm Canadian? For example the sales tax on cars in New Jersey is 6%, will I be required to pay that?
No
Mar 16, 2005
31 posts
1 upvote
I would love to know which cars over the past few years that were manufactured in North America. This would give me a better idea of knowing if any of my favorite Honda's Toyota's etc were manufactured here to save the extra 6+%.
Anyone have a list or a weblink?
Mar 27, 2006
90 posts
1 upvote
Gymee wrote:I haven't read the whole post....no time. But to answer a few queries.

I bought my 2006 BMW 330i in the US. It was a few months old, and I saved over $10 000 CDN. BMW USA won't allow sellers to sell brand new BMWs to some one who will register it with a CDN address. You can however buy a "used" BMW with no restrictions. My car was "used" but only for a few months.

MSRP differences for brand new bimmers are close to $8000 difference. Well worth it.

It took me about a month to coordinate as I flew to the US to drive my car back over and getting a trip license required have the ownership and insurance on the car. This quite tedious to coordinate but if you're going to save big money, it's well worth it. I have no regrets.

Hope this helps...
Gymee

So did you pay the state tax? I believe you did have to pay 6% duty, right?
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1356 posts
220 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Contrary to what any US dealer might tell you (those who are not volume dealers) there is NO US TAX payable on a car that will be export to Canada.

The dealers I spoke to asked for proof of Canadian residency (valid Canadian drivers' license is all it takes) and they indicate this in the invoice.

There are plenty of websites that indicate where cars are assembled.

There are links in this post indicating where to find this information.

The a good place to find information for importing Subarus into Canada is www.cars101.com/canada.html.

The links within that site apply to many other manufacturers.
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2003
1361 posts
241 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone know if Nissan/Infiniti's warranty is transferrable to Canada?
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1356 posts
220 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Looks like the Canadian Subaru dealers have approached Subaru Canada to void the warranty on US purchased vehicles.

If Subaru Canada decides to do that am I don't want to travel to Buffalo for service, I know third-party warranty programs are available.

Does anyone have any links for information on those warranty programs?
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1326 upvotes
Sauga
Monsieurmaggot wrote:If Subaru Canada decides to do that am I don't want to travel to Buffalo for service, I know third-party warranty programs are available.

Third-party warranty programs like Warranty Direct and Warrantybynet typically don't cover "grey market" vehicles, which a Subaru import may qualify as. I don't know if there are any third-party programs that will completely replace a manufacturer's warranty.

But I wouldn't bother with one anyway. Chances are that you'll pay in to it more than you will get out. (That applies to all insurance/extended warranty programs, otherwise the companies that provide them would not be in business.)
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2006
2992 posts
1952 upvotes
I spent considerable time looking at warrenties offered in Canada as honda warrenties do not cross the border. Also you can not take the vehicle back to the states for warrenty work unless its regestired in the US. Each car manufacturer is different on this issue and this point has been well discussed previously in this thread. Do you need a warrenty? Often the savings on the vehicle are considerable and should cover any repairs. We did purchase a three year bumper to bumper warrenty leaving us with 3900 in savings on a new vehicle after taxes.
  • I looked at each company to see who the underwriter is.
  • Check the BBB for complaints.
  • Ensure they pay the repair centre direct for repairs.
  • No reputable US comapnies offer coverage in canada Yet. Soon http://www.warrantydirect.com/ will
I used http://www.securewarranty.ca for an aftermarket warrenty. Like many of the larger US warrenty companies they offer a money back guarentee if the warrenty is not used. They offer warrenties through dealers not direct. You can take the car anywhere for service.
Sep 17, 2001
375 posts
13 upvotes
Okay, here's my question...
Say I'm looking for an Infinity G35. I look at the Vehicle Admissibility PDF on the RIV website and I see that all 1991-2006 models are OK except for the ones in the "inadmissable" column (which it's not there...)

Then I look over at the "Notes" column, and I see the following: "Vehicles equipped with passive restraints do not meet CMVSS 210, seat belt anchorage location requirements. Passive restraints are identified as either a motorized upper torso restraint or door mounted 3-point restraint."

Well, how do I figure this out?
Also - while I know it was already posted somewhere waaay back there, can someone advise how to figure out where a vehicle was built? (to see if you have to pay the duty?)

Thanks!
Sep 22, 2005
957 posts
310 upvotes
BC
Monsieurmaggot wrote:Looks like the Canadian Subaru dealers have approached Subaru Canada to void the warranty on US purchased vehicles.

If Subaru Canada decides to do that am I don't want to travel to Buffalo for service, I know third-party warranty programs are available.

I am kind of worried about warranties.
Jul 9, 2006
3 posts
My brother is down in Boston visiting and wants to bring a new 2007 Toyota Camry from down there. I have been reading this post since the beginning but I still don't know how to get temporary permit/plates for him. Can I get temp permit from Ontario and use it to bring a new car from US? One of the requirements for getting a temp permit from Ontario is an original permit which we do not have. Also my brother said that one dealer in Bostom said that Massachussetts does not have temporary permits. I saw in earlier posts that Washington State had 3 day temp permit which you can use to bring the car to Canada but I don't know how to do this from Massachussetts.
Mar 6, 2002
212 posts
1 upvote
and yet another variable... if a U.S car (U.S plated) is brought across the border by the owner (for a visit, not an import), what would be the process to buy it and get it registered in Ontario?
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2005
4081 posts
1967 upvotes
Toronto
ruvz wrote:and yet another variable... if a U.S car (U.S plated) is brought across the border by the owner (for a visit, not an import), what would be the process to buy it and get it registered in Ontario?
One would presume the sales transaction would have to go thru the state licencing office where the vehicle is currently registered and then there would need to be a disclosure that the vehicle is being sold to someone outside the US in order to not incur state taxes. Then all the regular Canadian stuff as mentioned earlier.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7429 posts
4676 upvotes
Ottawa
ruvz wrote:and yet another variable... if a U.S car (U.S plated) is brought across the border by the owner (for a visit, not an import), what would be the process to buy it and get it registered in Ontario?
Before it's imported in Canada, it has to be exported from the States so you'd have to return to the US, go to customs there, bring them the title and other required paperwork 72hours prior to actual export and then follow all the procedures described above.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2001
3288 posts
1606 upvotes
Toronto
How do you get insurance for your vehicle so you can drive it back across the border? Do you have to plan on being there for a few days while you figure out what particular model you are purchasing (so you can get the VIN #) and give the insurance company enough time to get it set up? I've assumed that I'm going down to Buffalo for a particular model, but I don't know which specific car I'm going to buy thus I can't provide any information beforehand.

I haven't purchased a vehicle in over 10 years so I forget how long it takes to get insurance...
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1475 posts
181 upvotes
Mississauga
cannon_fodder wrote:How do you get insurance for your vehicle so you can drive it back across the border? Do you have to plan on being there for a few days while you figure out what particular model you are purchasing (so you can get the VIN #) and give the insurance company enough time to get it set up? I've assumed that I'm going down to Buffalo for a particular model, but I don't know which specific car I'm going to buy thus I can't provide any information beforehand.

I haven't purchased a vehicle in over 10 years so I forget how long it takes to get insurance...
Your existing ontario policy should cover any additional vehicle you buy for 14 days. The coverage remains same as of your existing vehicle.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2004
1065 posts
64 upvotes
Quebec
eXpedite wrote: Also - while I know it was already posted somewhere waaay back there, can someone advise how to figure out where a vehicle was built? (to see if you have to pay the duty?)

Thanks!
From wikipedia

1, 4, 5 = United States
2 = Canada
3 = Mexico
J = Japan
SN-ST, W = Germany
Jan 6, 2006
77 posts
Monsieurmaggot wrote:Looks like the Canadian Subaru dealers have approached Subaru Canada to void the warranty on US purchased vehicles.

Where did you hear this? Do you have a link?