Ongoing Deal Discussion

Always

WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2007
11213 posts
10058 upvotes
Kootenays
No. That site should give the MSRP (listing price) and Invoice price (the price the dealer pays). What they don't often include, is dealer incentives that manufacturers pay to dealers.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2007
1033 posts
134 upvotes
Hi guys,

Has anyone imported a car to Canada without the title? I am talking about disregarding the US customs export process and simply showing up to CDN customs with your bill of sale? Is there anything you'd need the title for? IE registration in your home province, etc?

Debating what to do as a last resort if the dealer I am working with gets wind that the deal is Canadian after shipping me the car (within the US to a border state) and withholds the MCO (Certificate of Origin)...
Sep 7, 2009
241 posts
34 upvotes
Albertan wrote: Hi guys,

Has anyone imported a car to Canada without the title? I am talking about disregarding the US customs export process and simply showing up to CDN customs with your bill of sale? Is there anything you'd need the title for? IE registration in your home province, etc?

Debating what to do as a last resort if the dealer I am working with gets wind that the deal is Canadian after shipping me the car (within the US to a border state) and withholds the MCO (Certificate of Origin)...
I don't believe Canadian customs has a systems connection to the US. In addition, we know of at least one case (in this forum) where someone did not head to US customs at all before heading to Canada (they did so in error), and Canadian customs processed the vehicle without issue. So, could you get your vehicle into Canada and use it? Yes.

That said, avoiding US export process is a potentially serious issue, and while nothing is likely to happen in Canada, I would be concerned about taking that vehicle back to the States.

I have some ideas, some of which you may have already thought of, but I'll list them anyway:
- Try to obtain the CO via the head office, however if the dealer has a "no Canadians" policy, the head office probably imposed it.
- Kill the deal and get full money back.
- Find a US relative, friend to register the vehicle. There may be sales tax implications though, but may be worth it to solve things.
- Consult a lawyer - there may be other remedies available to you, including challenges using NAFTA, i
e. can a US entity actually NOT sell to a NAFTA member citizen?

Please keep us informed.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2007
1033 posts
134 upvotes
I have imported many cars before, so I am aware of the legal issues. I am just wondering what the process would be liek if you didn't, hypothetically, have the title. I would obviously not then export it from the US properly, but can the car be registered in Canada with out the title?
phlegm2 wrote: I don't believe Canadian customs has a systems connection to the US. In addition, we know of at least one case (in this forum) where someone did not head to US customs at all before heading to Canada (they did so in error), and Canadian customs processed the vehicle without issue. So, could you get your vehicle into Canada and use it? Yes.

That said, avoiding US export process is a potentially serious issue, and while nothing is likely to happen in Canada, I would be concerned about taking that vehicle back to the States.

I have some ideas, some of which you may have already thought of, but I'll list them anyway:
- Try to obtain the CO via the head office, however if the dealer has a "no Canadians" policy, the head office probably imposed it.
- Kill the deal and get full money back.
- Find a US relative, friend to register the vehicle. There may be sales tax implications though, but may be worth it to solve things.
- Consult a lawyer - there may be other remedies available to you, including challenges using NAFTA, i
e. can a US entity actually NOT sell to a NAFTA member citizen?

Please keep us informed.
Sep 7, 2009
241 posts
34 upvotes
Albertan wrote: I have imported many cars before, so I am aware of the legal issues. I am just wondering what the process would be liek if you didn't, hypothetically, have the title. I would obviously not then export it from the US properly, but can the car be registered in Canada with out the title?
Just to confirm, you've withheld or misrepresented your status to the dealer? What exactly is your concern about him "getting wind" of things upon delivery?
I can't even figure out how you're doing this without a reference to Canada at some point, i. e. drivers license, Canadian bank ID on your funds transfer, Canadian bank name on a certified payment instrument.
Jul 21, 2007
36 posts
so no one imported a VW ever!...
ottawa_hull wrote: Hi
I am trying to get one or more individuals to confirm that it is possible to drive back to the US a car bought from there to get warranty work done after registering the car in Canada. I am looking for people who actually have done it versus opinions.
Thanks
Penalty Box
Apr 15, 2011
5156 posts
1887 upvotes
Scarborough
so let me get this straight. I wnt to buy a car, a 2011 mustang. The cheapest prices in the US have it going for $17K but is selling in Canada for $20K. If I tried getting it from the US, id have to pay a US sales tax, then all the BS importing fees and then again HST once its back here in ontario. The price then climbs up to around $20k for the US car. I would save about $1k after all is done but the process is a huge pain in the arse.
Dec 31, 2009
221 posts
24 upvotes
Markham
you have to buy a car with 5000-10000$ diff between US/CAnadian sales price to make it worthwhile in most cases
you dont have to pay State sales tax in most states if exporting or you have to choose those States
Sep 7, 2009
241 posts
34 upvotes
blaznazn22 wrote: so let me get this straight. I wnt to buy a car, a 2011 mustang. The cheapest prices in the US have it going for $17K but is selling in Canada for $20K. If I tried getting it from the US, id have to pay a US sales tax, then all the BS importing fees and then again HST once its back here in ontario. The price then climbs up to around $20k for the US car. I would save about $1k after all is done but the process is a huge pain in the arse.
You shouldn't have to pay sales tax, and the importing fee is only $200, and you'd have to pay HST regardless. (You'd have to pay a 6.1% duty if the vehicle is manufactured outside of North America, but I think you're good on the Mustang.)

Using your numbers, and applying Ontario rates for taxes:
Canada - $22,600
US - $19,410

Rough savings is $3200 - not bad - I'd take it. Depends how much your time is worth. There are some irritations, but it's not too difficult to import a vehicle.

That said, fountainpen makes a good point - the real deal is when you are looking at some higher end vehicles.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1356 posts
220 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Albertan wrote: I have imported many cars before, so I am aware of the legal issues. I am just wondering what the process would be liek if you didn't, hypothetically, have the title. I would obviously not then export it from the US properly, but can the car be registered in Canada with out the title?
I can't say what the rules are in Alberta but in Ontario you need to surrender the MCO in order to get the Ontario registration processed. I can't imagine they'd be much different for you. Perhaps there's someone on this thread from Alberta who actually successfully did this. The title is really proof of ownership. How could you prove you own the vehicle otherwise?

As Phlegm2 pointed out, not properly exporting the vehicle from the US could cause you problems in the future.
fountainpen wrote: you have to buy a car with 5000-10000$ diff between US/CAnadian sales price to make it worthwhile in most cases
you dont have to pay State sales tax in most states if exporting or you have to choose those States
There is a fine line where it doesn't make it worth the effort. Ford and GM know this and market their vehicles on average about $3k more in Canada. That action keeps me away from them! A lot of folks forget to factor in the tax load on the higher cost and the typical higher PDI in Canada.
I've been on RFDs for over a decade. My award-winning thread from 2006 is still going strong and one of the most popular on this site!
May 28, 2007
719 posts
46 upvotes
GTA
ottawa_hull wrote: Hi
I am trying to get one or more individuals to confirm that it is possible to drive back to the US a car bought from there to get warranty work done after registering the car in Canada. I am looking for people who actually have done it versus opinions.
Thanks
I am also looking to purchase a vw.. if you have some information, can you share?
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2003
1564 posts
146 upvotes
Quick question. Once the dealers faxes the info to US border 72 hours before. Can then just go to US border with title and bill of sale within business hours or do I need schedule an appointment or call/email them ahead of time for my arrival. I am assume it in their system so they pull up the information needed on their computer rather than digging through paperwork. Also how long staying in US would help exept some amount tax for staying out.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7430 posts
4677 upvotes
Ottawa

In Ontario and Quebec (I tried both) you MUST have the title / MCO to import (technically, they don't care if you export it from the US or not although depending on the agent, they may give you a hard time about it). I wanted to import a vehicle that was registered in my name in the US but didn't have the title yet and was not allowed to (and also couldn't simply drive it into Canada even temporarily without importing it). I was waiting for the title but had some repairs to do to the vehicle so I wanted to bring it in just to do the repairs while I was waiting and they told me very clearly that until I had the title and could import, there was no way I could bring the vehicle into Canada.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2007
11213 posts
10058 upvotes
Kootenays
runeash wrote: Quick question. Once the dealers faxes the info to US border 72 hours before. Can then just go to US border with title and bill of sale within business hours or do I need schedule an appointment or call/email them ahead of time for my arrival. I am assume it in their system so they pull up the information needed on their computer rather than digging through paperwork. Also how long staying in US would help exept some amount tax for staying out.
You just have to show up and they will pull you up in their system. For each person travelling, 24 hours out allows $200 tax and duty free. 48 hours gives you $800 tax and duty free. I don't know if they will deduct said ammounts off of a car, but they did allow mine against separate tires/wheels.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2006
2451 posts
873 upvotes
I didn't have the nerve to buy used cars in the U.S. for the past few years despite following this thread.

Yet I have found a few used/new dirt bikes I am interested in WA state. What are the requirements to pass the border with such a purchase (from B.C.)?

Thank you in advance.
Jun 28, 2007
126 posts
13 upvotes
smacd wrote: You just have to show up and they will pull you up in their system. For each person travelling, 24 hours out allows $200 tax and duty free. 48 hours gives you $800 tax and duty free. I don't know if they will deduct said ammounts off of a car, but they did allow mine against separate tires/wheels.
They take the allowance off what you declare. So that's the car plus any other US purchases. In Ontario, that means another 13% x 800 = $104 savings. :)
Dec 23, 2007
399 posts
70 upvotes
smacd wrote: You just have to show up and they will pull you up in their system. For each person travelling, 24 hours out allows $200 tax and duty free. 48 hours gives you $800 tax and duty free. I don't know if they will deduct said ammounts off of a car, but they did allow mine against separate tires/wheels.
Little known fact, that if you are only out 24 hours and go over 200, you lose the exemption.... FWIW.
Feb 1, 2010
124 posts
25 upvotes
Bolton
I was trying to find this information on the forum but was not able to:

My wife is a US citizen and Canadian Permanent Resident with both a US and Canadian address. I believe that there is a clause where we could purchase a vehicle in the US as a US citizen, leave it for a period (I believe it is 6 months) and then import it to Canada as an "Owned" vehicle without paying tax. Can anyone comment on that?

When she moved here and imported her 3 year old Mazda 3 we were not charged taxes, but I was not at all familiar with the process then, we just followed instructions so I'm not sure.

Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2005
6795 posts
2504 upvotes
YEG

No, it can't be done. The US CBP needs to see and stamp the title. Then, you go to CBSA who fills out some forms and gives you a case number for RIV form 1.

No MCO means no export.

I crossed at Osoyoos before driving back to AB.
⬆⬆⬇⬇⬅➡⬅➡BA