Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1347 posts
161 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
It looks like you might be on to something EricMat.

Those RFDers who don't live near the border might find that a great service.

If you can figure out a way to import, ship and do all the paperwork, you might be on to something.

Since I live near the border, buying a car from the US is presenting itself to be an adventure.

In my case, Subaru Canada never replied to my emails. I don't suspect they ever will reply to me.

There's a couple of my co-workers who were looking at buying but now are researching and considering a US purchase particularly after I told them how much they could save.
Sep 4, 2003
923 posts
284 upvotes
York
When you buy a new or used car from a US dealer, please pay extra caution. US dealers are more unethical, especially when they sell cars to we innocient, honest, pure, and naive Canadian customers. If you buy a car from them, make sure you can track the VIN from the date it was out of the factory. Many "new" cars were soaked in the water last summer at the dealerships in New Orlean. I heard some of these cars are discovered in Canada.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2004
2121 posts
30 upvotes
Calgary
Hey RFD's,

I'm looking at buying a Acura RSX. I don't want to buy anything with warranty because Honda doesn't value it in Canada.

1. Where is a good place to buy (I'm in Calgary)
2. I'm was hoping to buy something AROUND a 2003 model.

Anyone help me out on where to look.

How can I arrange a buy before I've even seen a car????
What If I take a trip down to the states and the car is sold that I'm looking at?????

Any advice???

Thanks,
kaddy
MY HEATWARE - Available upon request
MY EBAY - Available upon request
Banned
Mar 27, 2005
1068 posts
Calgary
contact wrote:When you buy a new or used car from a US dealer, please pay extra caution. US dealers are more unethical, especially when they sell cars to we innocient, honest, pure, and naive Canadian customers. If you buy a car from them, make sure you can track the VIN from the date it was out of the factory. Many "new" cars were soaked in the water last summer at the dealerships in New Orlean. I heard some of these cars are discovered in Canada.
agreed!
2006 Wins
Alphamals toys ($12.00)
WWE Wrestlemania Hat

st7860 wrote:the owner of HOFO is a MOFO

^^ ya i guess making a forum named after you qualifies you as a m0fugger!! lmfao!
Jun 2, 2003
208 posts
8 upvotes
Quebec
contact wrote:When you buy a new or used car from a US dealer, please pay extra caution. US dealers are more unethical, especially when they sell cars to we innocient, honest, pure, and naive Canadian customers. If you buy a car from them, make sure you can track the VIN from the date it was out of the factory. Many "new" cars were soaked in the water last summer at the dealerships in New Orlean. I heard some of these cars are discovered in Canada.
Excellent comment! I'll be extra cautious. Thanks Contact!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1347 posts
161 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
One of the first things I would check is the date of manufacture on the door panel.

From past buying experiences, I won't be buying any new US car that's over six months old.
Mar 11, 2006
441 posts
30 upvotes
I don't know about the ethics of US used car dealers. I would imagine they would be the same as Canadian used car dealers. How ethical are Canadian used car dealers who sell salvaged vehicles to unsuspecting customers?

Many salvaged vehicles are being brought into Canada. Be very careful when buying a used US vehicle in Canada. Use CarFax, Carproof, whatever and be sure of what you are buying.

My 2 cents. :)
Deal Addict
May 30, 2005
1689 posts
30 upvotes
rtsen wrote:I would also like to hear some more details. I thought all BMW were assembled in Germany.
Since you only had to pay GST, i'm guessing you live in Alberta, what BMW dealership did you go to in the States?
Not all Bimmers are made in Germany (e.g. X5's are not). You have to check the VIN.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
1645 posts
340 upvotes
Calgary
That's correct....X5's are made in good 'ol South Carolina .......so caution on build quality.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1347 posts
161 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I am off to Michigan next week to check out the Subarus close up.

One of the super dealers in Detroit's suburbs (they sell more than just Subarus) tells me that they've sold a dozen cars to Canadian residents in the last few months. He even offered me copies of the forms that need to be filled in.

No wonder they've sold cars to Canadians. A local dealer offered me a weather damaged 2006 Subaru Limited for $2000 off MSRP. I was also going to be charged a $199 fee and $299 windshield inscribing money grab. According to Consumer Reports, I can get the same inscribing kit with registration for under $25 US.

Check out what the Subarus are going for in Washington State:

http://www.cars101.com/subaru_prices.html#legacy

These prices don't even include $1500 - $2000 US dollar cash backs. I was told when the 2007s come out in the fall, the savings will be even better.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2005
1551 posts
163 upvotes
i was student in US and bought new civic and brought to canada all Canada honda deals have serve me warranty without a question. warranty is clearly mention valid in US and Canada. read the user manual.
30% Income Tax, 13% Sales Tax, 2% Health care Premium in Tax, 4% Property Tax, 2% unemployment Premium in Tax, 2% Canada pension Plan, 4% Company pension Plan, 4% RRSP, 2% Drug plan, 2% Insurance Premium, 10% Gas Expense, 3% vehicle insurance, 3% Utilities.Total 81% Mandatory Deductions i am left with 19% to spend at RFD, Beer and Grocery...Do i really Earn for my self? Time for Change, Yes we can and we will in next Election
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1218 upvotes
Sauga
daffod wrote:i was student in US and bought new civic and brought to canada all Canada honda deals have serve me warranty without a question. warranty is clearly mention valid in US and Canada. read the user manual.
Your situation was different because you were "living" in the US when you purchased the car. If a Canadian visitor to the US buys a Honda there, then the warranty is not valid in Canada. It was posted earlier in this thread.
Jun 2, 2003
208 posts
8 upvotes
Quebec
I have some new information for anyone interested in buying a Hyundai in the US (might be specific to Hyundai, I don't know):

If you want to have access to the dealer's incentives and other rebates, you'll need a US address (see this website if you need one : http://www.thelettercarrier.com/) and an American Social security number!!!

Now this is new info to me and it comes from a car dealer in Mass whom I thought was pretty honest so far!

Anyone had a similar experience, questions asked, for a Hyundai or another make?

Eric
Jun 13, 2003
165 posts
4 upvotes
Kitchener
Just a heads up to anyone in the market for a car in the states. I just picked one up today, a used 2005 Mazda 6, and know the process inside-out.
I've gone through it before with another car, as well as a ATV.
One thing to be congnisant of: You DO NOT pay state sales tax, at least in Michigan. The dealer will swear up and down you do (they dont know better), as will the Department of the Treasury (they are unaware of a perfectly legal loophole). The tax savings, 6%, can save you a fortune when buying a car. I just saved $1000 in tax today myself.

For anyone wanting details, PM me. Better yet, let me buy your car in the states for you. Sure, i'll charge a little fee, but it will save ya a fortune. :cheesygri