Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2001
1178 posts
384 upvotes
Not sure about the 2007 Sonata, but the 2006 4cyl was made in Korea.
Mar 30, 2007
427 posts
15 upvotes
Saskatchewan
just did a little comparison to see how much money i would save.

2007 Honda Element SC 2wd - $29,990 base price on honda.ca
2007 Honda Element SC 2wd - $22,265 USD (=$25,001cdn) base price on honda.com

so i'd save about $5000, which isn't bad. obviously there would be some other work involved, and you would have to pay tax.

i bet our higher original sale price has ALOT to do with the inflated values that used cars seem to carry in this country. however, this still goes against my #1 rule which is don't buy a new car. good savings for people who were gonna shell out the money anyways.
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2007
1965 posts
937 upvotes
Ottawa
Hey everyone, been busy enjoying the new car.
But just wanted to confirm to everyone that i smoothly completed the entire import, registration and licensing process in a single day. Wired cash for the vehicle on monday, dealer faxed title to customs, I personally called SOA to request recall letter to be faxed to the dealer, and arranged for pickup on Thursday. Also arranged for a insurance binder from my insurance agent and sent this to dealer.

Left Toronto at 7:30AM arrived in Buffalo 10:45AM.

The longest part of the process was signing the paperwork at the dealership and going over the maintenance plans that i didnt want.

US Export took 2 minutes
Canadian Import took 5 minutes
RIV office took 15 minutes (10 minutes to find the damn place its on the 5th floor).
Canadian tire took 15 minutes (but the first Ctire's federal inspector was off that day :S). The stupid guys at Ctire tried to convince me i needed a provincial emissions and safety test done for an additional $130 but i refused flat out knowing better.

MTO asked for all my paperwork, i paid PST, and $94 for plates/registration.
I was out of the MTO by 6pm and they dont close till 9 :-).

Plenty of time to spare. Just a heads up for anyone whose impatient and does not like dealing. Ended up paying $38,500 CDN on the road (RBC purchase rate). The same vehicles MSRP in Canada is about $56,000.

Big Savings!

Thanks Guys Add me to the RFD Super Savings CLUB. :D
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
4617 posts
678 upvotes
SK
fruzmatik wrote:
May 7th, 2007 11:53 pm

Plenty of time to spare. Just a heads up for anyone whose impatient and does not like dealing. Ended up paying $38,500 CDN on the road (RBC purchase rate). The same vehicles MSRP in Canada is about $56,000.

Big Savings!

Thanks Guys Add me to the RFD Super Savings CLUB. :D
Thats a great deal.
Did RBC give you a car loan to purchase from a US Dealer? or is it a Line of Credit?
shopper-X
Mar 21, 2007
19 posts
windsorguy2007 wrote:
May 7th, 2007 4:36 pm
Has anyone bought a toyota camry from the US...Michigan dealers charge the canadian customers with the michigan sales tax. This is true for both new and used vehicles. I was wondering if other states had the same policies? Can anyone share their experience and post the dealership they bought their vehicle from. Anyone imported a Nissan lately?
anyone?????
Jul 23, 2003
829 posts
4 upvotes
Lindsay
My advice is find another state, as most do not have to collect tax unless you reside in the state...
Mar 21, 2007
19 posts
i am a canadian resident and live close to michigan....wondering if anyone has bought a camry from US...if yes, which state without paying state taxes.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2003
1116 posts
24 upvotes
windsorguy2007 wrote:
May 8th, 2007 10:58 am
i am a canadian resident and live close to michigan....wondering if anyone has bought a camry from US...if yes, which state without paying state taxes.
As far as I know after reading about 1000 posts in this thread, if your not a resident of a state you don't pay the tax. If they are trying to make you pay tell the government on them as they are trying to pocket some cash.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2004
1227 posts
72 upvotes
I hate to be one of those people who may be asking a question that was already answered, but after skimming through 50 pages of this thread (whew! it's a long one!)... there's some contradicting posts regarding Honda. Some say Honda dealers in Canada WILL honour the warranty (under certain conditions), or will not honour it at all.

Is it reasonable to ask someone who's followed most or all of this thread from inception to provide a consensus of opinion on:

1) Is there a cost advantage to buying a Honda (say a 2007 CRV EX-L) from the US? (Has someone here done this? What is the expected savings versus buying in Canada?)

2) If you bring it into Canada (and are not a resident or on business in the US), will Honda canada - dealers honour the warranty service?

I'm a bit confused with the Nafta car list and if certain VIN #'s qualify while others do not... any help would really be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
:idea:
"Our doubts are traitors, And make us lose the good we oft might win By fearing to attempt."
William Shakespeare Measure for Measure

"You have to go in with a winning attitude. It doesn't mean you'll win, but you'll lose a lot less" - Brad Lamb ("Toronto's Condo King")
Nov 9, 2005
138 posts
6 upvotes
Richmond
evozero wrote:
May 7th, 2007 10:07 pm
just did a little comparison to see how much money i would save.

2007 Honda Element SC 2wd - $29,990 base price on honda.ca
2007 Honda Element SC 2wd - $22,265 USD (=$25,001cdn) base price on honda.com

so i'd save about $5000, which isn't bad. obviously there would be some other work involved, and you would have to pay tax.

i bet our higher original sale price has ALOT to do with the inflated values that used cars seem to carry in this country. however, this still goes against my #1 rule which is don't buy a new car. good savings for people who were gonna shell out the money anyways.
I am checking the Toyota 4 runner now.

Buy in Canada :2007 4Runner SR5 V6 $46,877CAD (based on toyota.ca)

Buy in US: 2007 4Runner SR5 V6 $35,000CAD(based on invoice price from Costco auto programm, plus 6.1% duty, exchange rate 1.1)

Huge savings, just now too sure about the difference between the 2 versions,
and also what modifications need to be done (like daylight running light).
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2004
4921 posts
1014 upvotes
Ottawa
develop wrote:
May 8th, 2007 12:57 pm
I am checking the Toyota 4 runner now.

Buy in Canada :2007 4Runner SR5 V6 $46,877CAD (based on toyota.ca)

Buy in US: 2007 4Runner SR5 V6 $35,000CAD(based on invoice price from Costco auto programm, plus 6.1% duty, exchange rate 1.1)

Huge savings, just now too sure about the difference between the 2 versions,
and also what modifications need to be done (like daylight running light).
Make sure you're comparing the same prices though; the price from Toyota.ca problably includes PST & GST + AC tax - Costco price probably doesn't (let us know if you included that). Add the taxes to the Costco price and you're about at $40k (still very good savings but not $12k).

As far as the changes, if it's like other Toyotas, you might not really have to do anything (e.g. Siennas require no mods; DRL is already there and just needs to be activated).
Nov 9, 2005
138 posts
6 upvotes
Richmond
michelb wrote:
May 8th, 2007 1:22 pm
Make sure you're comparing the same prices though; the price from Toyota.ca problably includes PST & GST + AC tax - Costco price probably doesn't (let us know if you included that). Add the taxes to the Costco price and you're about at $40k (still very good savings but not $12k).

As far as the changes, if it's like other Toyotas, you might not really have to do anything (e.g. Siennas require no mods; DRL is already there and just needs to be activated).

These are the numbers buying 2007 4Runner sr5 in US:
$27,400 us dollors (Costco invoice) *1.061*1.1*1.13(taxes)=$34,560 CAD

Add RIV and other small fees, so it is be around $35,000CAD.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2004
4921 posts
1014 upvotes
Ottawa
develop wrote:
May 8th, 2007 2:21 pm
These are the numbers buying 2007 4Runner sr5 in US:
$27,400 us dollors (Costco invoice) *1.061*1.1*1.13(taxes)=$34,560 CAD

Add RIV and other small fees, so it is be around $35,000CAD.
Thanks for the update - that's a great price! (from the Toyota.com site, it came up to about $40k CND after duty, exchange and taxes).

That's certainly one of the other great benefits of buying in this US; buyers seem to have a lot more negotiating power (as opposed to Toyota dealerships in Canada which don't seem to move off MSRP).