Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Jan 18, 2012
3 posts
HAMILTON
I have a friend who bought a Land Rover in Florida in 2010. He put Ontario plates on it but never "imported" it officially. Now he wants to bring it to the US to sell it. Can he just bring it down or does he have to import it into the US?
Sep 4, 2009
333 posts
106 upvotes
I've decided to take the plunge into buying a 2012 Subaru Forester from the States.

I need exchange $28000 Cdn or so into $US and was wondering what FOREX site people like to use that gives the best exchange rates/lowest fees.

Ideally I'd like to:

Send $28000 Cdn -> Forex Site -> convert to $US -> send back to my $US bank account.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2005
2416 posts
394 upvotes
Toronto
Chasem wrote:
Feb 1st, 2012 1:49 am
I've decided to take the plunge into buying a 2012 Subaru Forester from the States.

I need exchange $28000 Cdn or so into $US and was wondering what FOREX site people like to use that gives the best exchange rates/lowest fees.

Ideally I'd like to:

Send $28000 Cdn -> Forex Site -> convert to $US -> send back to my $US bank account.

I used canadianforex, no wire or conversion costs.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2004
5721 posts
563 upvotes
FooCanada wrote:
Jan 31st, 2012 4:21 pm
I have a friend who bought a Land Rover in Florida in 2010. He put Ontario plates on it but never "imported" it officially. Now he wants to bring it to the US to sell it. Can he just bring it down or does he have to import it into the US?

Can your friend even get insurance without officially import it?
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2004
4404 posts
638 upvotes
Ottawa
FooCanada wrote:
Jan 31st, 2012 4:21 pm

Your statement doesn't really make any sense; what do you mean by 'he put Ontario plates on it but never "imported" it officially'. Do you mean that he just used plates from another car? If that's the case, than yes, nothing would stop him from selling it in the US - it's still registered / titled there. If he actually got plates / registration from Ontario then he either imported it or the person on the MoT really screwed up when they let him register it like that. In either case, he's probably need to export it from Canada (whatever that process is) and then re-import in the US (unless he never actually exported it, in which case, the old title is still valid).

You need to elaborate if you want a useful response.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2008
1229 posts
230 upvotes
Chasem wrote:

Ideally I'd like to:

If you trade stock, here's an idea. I've never tried it but if you read the comments, others have had success.
May 3, 2011
7 posts
ANCASTER
Has anyone imported a Challenger into Canada?....I know I will be outa luck for warranty, but still see some pretty good price gaps for a Used 2011/2012 RT/SRT.

Also..need some info on taxes....I know about RIV/HST, but......is there a gas guzzler tax for a used RT/SRT when I bring it over.

Any info would be great.

Thanks
Dec 15, 2007
51 posts
1 upvote
KW
Chasem wrote:

Ideally I'd like to:

I'm working for a US company and get paid in US$. I live in KW. I'm looking to exchange to Canadian $ within a month. I can do the exchange with you. We can use the exchange rate of xe.com of that day so it's fair for everybody and nobody loses any commission to greedy banks. I've done that with people many times before, but to a smaller amount. The problem is if you see a rate you like and want to do the exchange, I might want to wait, or vice varsas. When do you need it? Send me PM with your contact if you're interested.

you know you have to pay extra 6.1% duty when you bring a forester to Canada because it's made in Japan? Lots of people go with Outback or Tribeca because they're assembled in US, no duty.
Dec 15, 2007
51 posts
1 upvote
KW
xxmmx wrote:
Jan 24th, 2012 9:52 pm
phlegm2, thanks a lot for your reply.

As Monsieurmaggot mentioned, the thinking was to just buy a new vehicle, which otherwise would not be sold to Canadians directly (e.g. Toyota). It's not for faking a low sale value etc.

Called up a Toyota dealer and he said the sales (done by my American contact) document would prohibit exporting a new vehicle within a year. I am not 100% sure of what he's talking about, so I cannot say whether or not he's simply BS.

I think he's BS. I've purchased a pre-owned 2011 vehicle in US in the year of 2011 from a dealer. I have no issue importing it to Canada. When you purchase it from your US friend, it's considering a used vehicle. I think your friend needs to purchase it, has it registered under his name in his state before he can sells it to you. I have no such experience, but I think it helps if you can find friend in the states of NH, DE, MT, OR or even AK as those states do not have sales tax.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1347 posts
160 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
bomberman447 wrote:
Jan 31st, 2012 2:03 pm
I noticed in the one thread on importing a car 'How to Buy Your Next Vehicle from the US - and Save Thousands! '
There was a wiki back then listing the states in which they charge state sales tax on vehicles bought by out of state residents. (Carburner.com)
The website no longer works so I was wondering if anyone has a link where I could find such a list as I am hoping to buy a vehicle through a dealer in the spring.
Thanks
I used to provide all the information on carburner.com but the site wasn't mine. It was hosted and owned by someone else. The site went dark.

I have since taken all my documents and posted them on a site I now own and manage (www.monsieurmaggot.com).

All the information that I posted at Carburner.com was moved and updated on monsieurmaggot.com.

Please feel free to let me know if anything needs to be updated.
I've been on RFDs for over a decade. My award-winning thread from 2006 is still going strong and one of the most popular on this site!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1347 posts
160 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
mtlrabbit wrote:
Jan 30th, 2012 11:45 pm
I am importing a subaru outback into Canada, US dealer insist that cash incentive($1000) is not qulify for Canadian importer, anybody can verify if this is true. Thanks.
That is completely true.

Late in 2007, Subaru Canada had some real issues justifying why Canadians were paying upwards of $15,000 more for the exact car in Canada. Thanks partly to me, they were getting bad press about this here in Canada. I appeared on national news outlets in Canada (CTV National news, CP24, CTV News Channel, Globe & Mail) pointing out this disparity and how I saved $18,000 in 2007 buying in the US.

From what I understand, they tried to stop cross-border sales but Fuji (the parent company) was happy to sell Subarus so didn't stop the sales. Instead, they took away the incentives to the US dealers who sold particular vehicles to Canadians. Essentially, the US dealership made a profit on the sale but the sale did not apply towards their internal sales initiatives.

I have a copy of a letter sent by Subaru America's Chairman Tomohiko Ikeda dated December 3, 2007 and sent to all their retailers in the US outlining the new rules.

Price disparity in Canada gradually got closer but you can still get most loaded Subarus in the US for about $10k less.
I've been on RFDs for over a decade. My award-winning thread from 2006 is still going strong and one of the most popular on this site!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1347 posts
160 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Chasem wrote:

Ideally I'd like to:

I used an XEtrade Forex account.

Essentially I set up a US account with my favourite bank then I log into my XEtrade account and transfer cash from my Canadian account right into my US account.

There is NO charge to do that. XEtrade and other Forex companies make their cash on collecting minor spread differences.

My spread is $45 for every $10,000 transferred and your exact spread can vary based on a number of factors but in the end, the spread is WAY WAY WAY lower than any bank or other institution.

Most of my friends and family quickly realized this and set up their own Forex accounts.

I was also able to electronically send a chunk of the cash to the dealer - at no charge.

Chartered banks are charging you around 1.5 - 3% or more spreads. They also decide what the current exchange rate is based on whatever provides more cash. If the dollar closed low yesterday, they'll use that as a guage. If it closed high and dropped in the morning, they'll use the newer rate. My bank wouldn't commit on a spread until I committed the cash! Nice eh?

If my math is correct, using a chartered bank equates to $150 - $300 per $10k plus they will charge you to transfer the cash.
Nov 24, 2007
460 posts
35 upvotes
I'm considering buying an Audi from the US, but am under the impression that most dealers will not sell to Canadians. I was wondering if I could avoid the issue by having the car shipped to my US address with an in-transit permit on the car. That way the US dealer can say they shipped the car within the US. Does anyone know if I would have any issues importing at the border if the bill of sale was under my name, but had a US address on it?

Thanks