Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
1614 posts
314 upvotes
Calgary
jfernandez1977 wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2012 4:14 am
you know you have to pay extra 6.1% duty when you bring a forester to Canada because it's made in Japan? Lots of people go with Outback or Tribeca because they're assembled in US, no duty.
Bahhhhh... Thanks for that little tidbit.

With a short supply of Outbacks I was considering a Forester..... but not now!
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
1614 posts
314 upvotes
Calgary
clsl wrote:
Jan 24th, 2012 2:03 am
Hi,
I am buying a Subaru Forester from Seattle and I would like to rent UHaul pickup and trailer to tow it back to Vancouver. I know if I drive the car itself back to Canada, I would need a temp driving permit. However, I am thinking of towing the car. Do I still need a temp driving permit? Or is there any other thing I should be aware of by towing a car in WA and crossing the boarder? Thank you for the help!

Dude...just drive it back. I have done that route twice already.

Beofre you go get your insurance lined up with the VIn and the temp permit can be lined up by the dealer or yourself at the DMV.
It's like $25 for 3 days or so and no big deal.

I didn't even bother on my first private purchase but the second the dealer sort of wanted me to have it.
Sep 7, 2009
233 posts
34 upvotes
wehfra wrote:
Jan 25th, 2012 11:29 pm
Hi Phlegm2
*wanted to know which dealer sold you the 2012 volvo - if tried to contact a few in Penn & Ohio, and nobody bothers to get back to me re: selling to a CDN
*were daytime running lights already active on yours? If I buy from FLA, and drive it over, I would have to get that fixed...
*hope to read you soon!
Sorry for the delay - I couldn't hit this site for a few days.

I'll PM you the dealer details.

Yes, daytime running lights are active on most new vehicles sold in the US. This was the case for my Volvos - no modifications were necessary to pass inspection.
Sep 7, 2009
233 posts
34 upvotes
petaling108 wrote:
Jan 30th, 2012 5:27 pm
Question to phlegm2: Can you bypass volvo canada dealer inspection like when buying a BMW or MB?
Yes you can "bypass" the Volvo Canada inspection. I didn't do it on either of my 2 imports (2009, 2012). Not sure how much they'd charge for the "inspection", but given that no modifications are necessary, it amounts to a cash grab by Volvo Canada.

Part of the confusion has to do with the RIV website, and the Transport Canada admissibility details they link to. This is not unique to Volvo, but in this case it states "...Volvo Canada informed Transport Canada that ALL modifications MUST be performed by an authorized Canadian Volvo dealership and must be completed before a recall clearance letter can be issued by Volvo Canada...."

So, Volvo Canada won't issue you a recall clearance letter until you pay for the unnecessary/imaginary inspection. Good news is that in addition to a recall clearance letter from Volvo Canada, the RIV will accept a service record from a Volvo dealer's database. So, when purchasing at the US dealer, simply have them run a check against the VIN, and print it out. (I also have them write on their dealership letterhead that "vehicle [X], with VIN [#####] has no outstanding recalls.) This was accepted by the RIV in both cases, and was enough for them to release the inspection form.

So, to sum it up: you do not have to pay for the recall clearance letter from Volvo Canada (via that fake inspection) and the car should pass the Canadian Tire inspection without any modifications. (Just ensure you have the digital display in the middle of the tachometer set to display "current speed" in km/h.)
Dec 6, 2005
356 posts
3 upvotes
I plan on bringing a used car / private sale up from North Carolina. I intend to drive it back through 2-3 states to Canada.
To my knowledge North Carolina doesn't provide temporary license plate permits.* well maybe to dealers?- won't work in my case. How do i go about "legally driving it to canada">?
can i get ontario TEMPORARY VEHICLE REGISTRATION OR SPECIAL PERMIT.?
Can I get it just by giving them name of current owner and VIN?

on the website it says:

To apply for a Special Permit take the following items to any ServiceOntario Driver and Vehicle Licence Issuing Office:

A completed Application for Special Permit
The original fit vehicle permit/or NVIS;
If the permit is not registered in your name ensure that the back of the permit is completed and signed by the previous owner (a Bill of Sale can be used for supporting documentation from the person named on the permit); and
Name of your insurance company and policy number for the vehicle must be included on the application form.
If the vehicle is being imported from outside of Canada, then a Registrar of Imported Vehicles (RIV) Form 1 with both stamps must be provided. This ensures that the vehicle meets the Federal inspection requirements. ??
For out-of-province and out-of-country clients, acceptable identification documents must be presented, for example: a Canadian or US passport; or a Canadian/US birth certificate in combination with a Canadian/US driver’s licence or identity card.

Doesn't look like it allows you to get that permit without the vehicle being physically in canada..
Does any one have an experience with that kind of a situation.?
:arrow: KODAK digital camera Winner.
:arrow: ......................................
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1347 posts
160 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Ghost_Rider wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2012 10:32 pm
I plan on bringing a used car / private sale up from North Carolina. I intend to drive it back through 2-3 states to Canada.
To my knowledge North Carolina doesn't provide temporary license plate permits.* well maybe to dealers?- won't work in my case. How do i go about "legally driving it to canada">?
can i get ontario TEMPORARY VEHICLE REGISTRATION OR SPECIAL PERMIT.?
Can I get it just by giving them name of current owner and VIN?

on the website it says:

To apply for a Special Permit take the following items to any ServiceOntario Driver and Vehicle Licence Issuing Office:

A completed Application for Special Permit
The original fit vehicle permit/or NVIS;
If the permit is not registered in your name ensure that the back of the permit is completed and signed by the previous owner (a Bill of Sale can be used for supporting documentation from the person named on the permit); and
Name of your insurance company and policy number for the vehicle must be included on the application form.
If the vehicle is being imported from outside of Canada, then a Registrar of Imported Vehicles (RIV) Form 1 with both stamps must be provided. This ensures that the vehicle meets the Federal inspection requirements. ??
For out-of-province and out-of-country clients, acceptable identification documents must be presented, for example: a Canadian or US passport; or a Canadian/US birth certificate in combination with a Canadian/US driver’s licence or identity card.

Doesn't look like it allows you to get that permit without the vehicle being physically in canada..
Does any one have an experience with that kind of a situation.?
It really varies from MTO office to office. If you walk in and tell them you bought a new car and need a transit permit, usually they'll just ask for the VIN or bill of sale and proof of insurance. I certainly didn't have to provide any RIV forms until I was ready to license the vehicle.

Remember once you pass the federal inspection, you don't need to register the vehicle - not that you'd do that but theoretically, you can have it sit in your driveway forever.
I've been on RFDs for over a decade. My award-winning thread from 2006 is still going strong and one of the most popular on this site!
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2004
4363 posts
599 upvotes
Ottawa
Monsieurmaggot wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2012 11:30 am
It really varies from MTO office to office. If you walk in and tell them you bought a new car and need a transit permit, usually they'll just ask for the VIN or bill of sale and proof of insurance. I certainly didn't have to provide any RIV forms until I was ready to license the vehicle.

Remember once you pass the federal inspection, you don't need to register the vehicle - not that you'd do that but theoretically, you can have it sit in your driveway forever.
If anyone else has any recent experience please let us know but I was under the impression that you couldn't get an Ontario temp permit until the vehicle was in Canada (because you need a Form1 stamped by CT before they'll give it to you - this was stated very explicitely by my local MoT office but other offices might be more lax). I was also under the impression that you could only get a temporary permit AFTER you register the vehicle in your name (but I didn't confirm this) - if that's the case, this would also prevent you from getting temp permit until it's in Ontario.

--- Update ---

According to info I found here http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/ ... temp.shtml, the vehicle does have to be registered before they'll issue a temp permit.

However looking at that site, they do list a 'special permit' which might be available for vehicles in the US. I've never actually heard of this permit before but it sounds like it might work.

--- Update 2 ---

Never mind the 'special permit', says right there that for vehicles imported into Canada, a Form1 with both stamps must be provided (which means the vehicle has to already have been imported into Canada).
Dec 6, 2005
356 posts
3 upvotes
I think best bet would be to walk in and give it a try at the MTO office...
Have to work out the deal with the car first...
btw.
I know for a fact that in Manitoba, they allow you to get Manitoba temp license plate sticker to bring a car back to canada.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1347 posts
160 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Ghost_Rider wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2012 3:31 pm
I think best bet would be to walk in and give it a try at the MTO office...
Have to work out the deal with the car first...
btw.
I know for a fact that in Manitoba, they allow you to get Manitoba temp license plate sticker to bring a car back to canada.
Alternately you can simply bypass getting an Ontario Temporary Transit permit.

Lots of folks are using the American transit permits and have had no issues whatsoever.

The MTO wants to make it harder, they just lose out that way.
I've been on RFDs for over a decade. My award-winning thread from 2006 is still going strong and one of the most popular on this site!
Dec 6, 2005
356 posts
3 upvotes
Monsieurmaggot wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2012 4:28 pm
Alternately you can simply bypass getting an Ontario Temporary Transit permit.

Lots of folks are using the American transit permits and have had no issues whatsoever.

The MTO wants to make it harder, they just lose out that way.

can a non-us citizen get an American transit permit? where would i go about getting it, DMV?
Feb 21, 2007
109 posts
5 upvotes
Has anyone checked out recently difference between Subaru Outback 2012 in USA & Canada?

I'm thinking of getting one in Great Falls or Billings, Montana.

Has anyone used Bennets (Great Falls) or Rimrock (Billings)?

Interestingly, Bennets states on their dealer website that they cannot sell new vehicles to Canadians, but Rimrock says they can. Comments?

Any further thoughts appreciated.

As well, any issues with warranty work when bringing back to Canada (Calgary, in my case)?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1347 posts
160 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Ghost_Rider wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2012 4:42 pm
can a non-us citizen get an American transit permit? where would i go about getting it, DMV?
In NY state, the dealer won't let you leave the lot without one.

It's part of a $75 DMV transit and State sales registering requirement.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1347 posts
160 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
chris_iginla wrote:
Feb 5th, 2012 1:29 pm
Has anyone checked out recently difference between Subaru Outback 2012 in USA & Canada?

I'm thinking of getting one in Great Falls or Billings, Montana.

Has anyone used Bennets (Great Falls) or Rimrock (Billings)?

Interestingly, Bennets states on their dealer website that they cannot sell new vehicles to Canadians, but Rimrock says they can. Comments?

Any further thoughts appreciated.

As well, any issues with warranty work when bringing back to Canada (Calgary, in my case)?

Depending on the options, you're still going to save about $8000 buying in the US.

If Bennets chooses not to sell to Canadians, that's their prerogative. It's certainly not a corporate decision. FUJI Heavy Industries (Subaru's parent company) has no issues with US Subarus being sold to Canadians. The US dealership only loses their internal incentives credit (but still make a profit). Some dealers are adding $250 - $750 surcharges to Canadian sales.

Warranties are completely covered on Subarus. You simply pay for the repair and submit the receipt to the US home office. In many cases, somr Canadian dealerships will do it for you.
Aug 10, 2005
498 posts
15 upvotes
Chatham
Starting to research and contact dealers but I am stuck. Found a new car at a Toyota dealer in NC, but they will not sell unless it can be registered - and require a US address. What are my options?
Feb 5, 2012
1 posts
1 upvote
VANCOUVER
I am planning to get a 2012 Sienna from US, anyone here knows any dealers that willing to sell to Canadian? please send me a pm, thanks for the help.