Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Aug 12, 2007
528 posts
3 upvotes
nbabe1 wrote: Ill answer as much I can. I bought a van in florida. within 20 miles it caught on fire (yeah no kidding) I had bought it on ebay based on the cescrition and pics. Let me tell you that I wouldnt suggest you do like I did. before you pay make sure you saw it. Nowadays people are Scu*****. cant trust a picture no more.

Id ask for carfax and make sure they ahve a CLEAR title in hand. You might not be able to import it without it. You ll have to pay taxes (both) based on THEIR value (black book) so it might be more then what you actually pay.
Frankly unless its a steal I wouldnt do it again. So many things can go wrong...
did you ask and pay for a third party independent inspection service?prior to buying it sight unseen?
Aug 23, 2005
45 posts
2 upvotes
Oakville, ON
I imported my 2010 Lancer Evolution last year from the states and saved about $15,000

Will be looking for a Nissan GTR sometime next year in the US.

Until the dollar parity drops, I wont be buying any cars in Canada. Plus the importing process is so Easy.
Sep 7, 2009
237 posts
34 upvotes
bhujan wrote: Hello,
I would like to first of all thank everybody who has added and put information in this thread to help Canadians save money on their new/used car purchase. I wanted to go through the process and ask for any information that I might be missing.

So far these are the things I am trying to figure out:

1) Has anybody bought a used vehicle site unseen(just the pics on Autotrader) and how did it turn out, any recommendations on what to look out for?
2) Dealer will provide Brand History(is this the carfax report?), Recall Letter and Bill of Sale
- Is there any other documentation that I would need from the dealer for both US and Canadian Customs?
3) Is there specific things or items(checklist) beyond confirming the car histroy/features I should be asking the dealer before I make the purchase?
4) Is there a reasonable discount I should be expecting for doing a cash deal? If yes how much should I look to bargain?
5) I wanted to get names of recommended importers that people have used in the past and how much should I expect to pay to get the car from Chicago area to Toronto?
6) What are the costs in Canada to be able to register and drive the car?
7) Anyone had dealings with Naperville Toyota in IL? your feedback over PM would be appreciated.

Once again any help would be appreciated as it is my first time trying importing a car.

Please feel free to PM me with answers.

B

1) I would not buy privately from photos only. Even with a dealer, I always like to inspect the vehicle myself before finalizing the deal. I pay via bank draft, and don't pay until I see the vehicle. (There is much debate on bank drafts, and the legality of bringing them across the border - see the threads on the topic, and if in doubt consult a lawyer.)
2) Brand history (confirm not salvage/severely damaged) is not something you require for a vehicle sale for own use. Perhaps you need it to import a "junker", but wasn't needed for importation on my vehicles. Also note the dealer doesn't provide a "recall clearance letter", the manufacturer typically would via their head office. However, the RIV will accept a printout against the dealer's service database to confirm no recalls instead of a "recall clearance letter". In addition to the Bill of Sale you mention, you will also need the Certificate of Ownership, aka title/CO/MSO.
3) I would check to see if there are any Canadian-specific settings they can do for you at the US dealership. For example, GMC Yukons in the US can turn off daytime running lights. I had the US dealer update the firmware for free, to comply with Canadian standards.
4) Can't advise on that - you'll have to sort that yourself.
5) Try Mr. Mahew in this forum. While I didn't wind up using his services, his quote was reasonable, and he was very responsive. He can also likely get you a new car, even when US dealers won't sell new cars to Canadians.
6) RIV fee ($200). 6.1% duty, if vehicle not made/assembled according to NAFTA guidelines. GST at Canadian border. PST when you register the car. Cost of any modfications to meet Canadian compliance. Maybe, in Ontario, the cost of a safety inspection - some debate on whether you need this or not, but I've always been asked for it - even on 2 new vehicles.
7) N/A
Aug 28, 2010
110 posts
54 upvotes
Hi,
I recently imported a 2012 Subaru forester. After couple days of driving it, I started to hear a high frequency, pitched noise from the rear of the car. It is not loud but it is quit annoying. There was no this kind of noise on the first couple days of driving it.

This car is quite new and only have 300 miles on it. I would like take it to Canadian dealer to diagnosis the issue.

My question is if the noise is determined as normal by Canadian Subaru technician and I will be charged $100 for inspection fee, Will Subaru USA reimburse the inspection fee when I submit the receipt?

Thanks
Sep 7, 2009
237 posts
34 upvotes
clsl wrote: Hi,
I recently imported a 2012 Subaru forester. After couple days of driving it, I started to hear a high frequency, pitched noise from the rear of the car. It is not loud but it is quit annoying. There was no this kind of noise on the first couple days of driving it.

This car is quite new and only have 300 miles on it. I would like take it to Canadian dealer to diagnosis the issue.

My question is if the noise is determined as normal by Canadian Subaru technician and I will be charged $100 for inspection fee, Will Subaru USA reimburse the inspection fee when I submit the receipt?

Thanks
I've seen this before. Your wife is probably in the back seat. Sadly, Subaru will not reimburse you for this issue.
Aug 12, 2007
528 posts
3 upvotes
:d
phlegm2 wrote: i've seen this before. Your wife is probably in the back seat. Sadly, subaru will not reimburse you for this issue.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2004
1627 posts
54 upvotes
phlegm2 wrote: I've seen this before. Your wife is probably in the back seat. Sadly, Subaru will not reimburse you for this issue.
I have the same problem too, just tell your wife / baby to keep quiet, then the problem is solved. I checked with subaru, the Warranty doesn't cover this issue but you can contact BBB to see if they can help you to get reimbursement thru Subaru USA
Jun 4, 2008
50 posts
21 upvotes
Does anyone have experience with getting an amerifriend to purchase the car and "selling" it to you so you can import it to Canada? Can my amerifriend lease/finance the car and immediately switch the ownership to me? Or are there legal issues that prevent someone from doing that or the RIV not allowing a car like that to be imported? Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
7605 posts
3971 upvotes
Kootenays
Anday3 wrote: Does anyone have experience with getting an amerifriend to purchase the car and "selling" it to you so you can import it to Canada? Can my amerifriend lease/finance the car and immediately switch the ownership to me? Or are there legal issues that prevent someone from doing that or the RIV not allowing a car like that to be imported? Thanks!
Your friend can buy and sell it to you immediately, however, some manufacturers will either void or delay warranty coverage if the car doesn't spend 6 months in the US. If the car is bought & sold in a tax state (vs tax-free) you may have to pay sales tax twice in the US as well as when you get it home. Leasing/financing will likely be out of the question.
Jun 4, 2008
50 posts
21 upvotes
smacd wrote: Your friend can buy and sell it to you immediately, however, some manufacturers will either void or delay warranty coverage if the car doesn't spend 6 months in the US. If the car is bought & sold in a tax state (vs tax-free) you may have to pay sales tax twice in the US as well as when you get it home. Leasing/financing will likely be out of the question.

Hm, thanks smacd, I will most likely be going down to Oregon to purchase the car (no sales tax). Since you said leasing/financing prob won't work.. then I probably won't buy a car down there then. Theres no way I can pay for the whole car with cash up front. I was hoping my amerifriend can lease/finance it for me and I'll just pay her back every month for the amount. Any other suggestions?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
7605 posts
3971 upvotes
Kootenays
That's quite a friend!! Canadian banks will finance an American bought car, but bank rates are much higher than dealer rates.
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
10972 posts
2341 upvotes
Kingston
Anday3 wrote: Hm, thanks smacd, I will most likely be going down to Oregon to purchase the car (no sales tax). Since you said leasing/financing prob won't work.. then I probably won't buy a car down there then. Theres no way I can pay for the whole car with cash up front. I was hoping my amerifriend can lease/finance it for me and I'll just pay her back every month for the amount. Any other suggestions?

I don't think you'll be able to export the car if it has a lease/loan against it in the US.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1352 posts
172 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
JWL wrote: I don't think you'll be able to export the car if it has a lease/loan against it in the US.
That's right. When a lien it placed on the car, it won't clear US Customs; but then again, you can import the car to Canada and bypass US Customs entirely. You might be able to register the vehicle in Canada and save yourself thousands of dollars more since you won't be required to make any more car payments. The lien-holder won't be able to collect payment or repossess the vehicle when it's in Canada.

You can stop making payments and simply saddle your American friend with them. If they don't make the payments, they're the ones who will suffer the credit damage. You can save a ton of cash and with all that cash you can get more friends!

Of course I'm just kidding <or am I?>
I've been on RFDs for over a decade. My award-winning thread from 2006 is still going strong and one of the most popular on this site!
Nov 30, 2009
300 posts
21 upvotes
Ottawa
Anday3 wrote: Hm, thanks smacd, I will most likely be going down to Oregon to purchase the car (no sales tax). Since you said leasing/financing prob won't work.. then I probably won't buy a car down there then. Theres no way I can pay for the whole car with cash up front. I was hoping my amerifriend can lease/finance it for me and I'll just pay her back every month for the amount. Any other suggestions?

If you need to lease or finance a US car, this is possible. Send me a PM.
Aug 28, 2010
110 posts
54 upvotes
dealcatcher wrote: I have the same problem too, just tell your wife / baby to keep quiet, then the problem is solved. I checked with subaru, the Warranty doesn't cover this issue but you can contact BBB to see if they can help you to get reimbursement thru Subaru USA

The problem is that I am single. It must be ghost or something unknown. A little bird told me that it was a graveyard where the dealer is now.

Actually, I got an email from Subaru USA and it stated that Subaru USA will reimburse the diagnosis cost. However, before I got this email, I phoned Subaru USA and I got no reimbursement on the diagnosis cost.

I guess they don't have a firm policy. I will take my car to Canadian dealer and get the cost reimbursed since I have a written proof.