Ongoing Deal Discussion

Always

WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2003
1564 posts
146 upvotes
I bough my car new in Ontario and imported it us and surrendering Ontario permit to get state title. Since it is canadian car would move back to Canada process be any different?
May 31, 2017
20 posts
2 upvotes
When exporting a used car from the US and importing it into Canada, does the title need to be in the purchaser's name? Or would a bill of sale showing the purchaser's name along with the original signed title in the previous owner's name suffice?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7429 posts
4675 upvotes
Ottawa
kennneth wrote: When exporting a used car from the US and importing it into Canada, does the title need to be in the purchaser's name? Or would a bill of sale showing the purchaser's name along with the original signed title in the previous owner's name suffice?
It's just like buying a car in Canada, until you register it in your name in your province, you'll just have a signed registration from the seller. At the border and then at the provincial Ministry of Transport, you'll bring the US title that has been signed in your name. Some States do allow non-residents to register a vehicle so technically it's possible to have the title in your name but in most cases, you wouldn't want that as it will mean paying taxes twice (really the only exception would be Canadians that are living in the US and register a vehicle there and eventually return to Canada).
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2019
1127 posts
799 upvotes
ONTARIO
michelb wrote: I've imported 5 motorhomes over the past 15 years. Less to check than passenger vehicles but you have to make sure you can get recall clearance letter (which was more of an issue about 5-10 years ago when many manufacturers who used custom chassis (e.g. Country Cross, Alpine, Wanderlodge, original Monaco / HR (they still exist but under a different company and it sounds like the new company would not issue clearance letters for the old one), etc) went under and you couldn't get recall letters for them. Now they are pretty much all 15 years or older so are exempt from RIV). Trailers are very easy I believe but I've never imported one (The obvious issue with a trailer is that you have to drive to pick it up and then drive back but if you buy from a Northern State, that's not as big of an issue.
Did you finance it in the states.
I heard down there you can finance it like a mortgage for 25 years.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7429 posts
4675 upvotes
Ottawa
Wildwestbob wrote: Did you finance it in the states.
I heard down there you can finance it like a mortgage for 25 years.
You can't export a vehicle from the US if it's financed so it's a dead end. You have to buy cash (maybe use a Canadian line of credit).

Even if you could, I would strongly recommend not to finance a car (that likely has a 10-15 years lifespan) over 25 years.
May 31, 2017
20 posts
2 upvotes
michelb wrote: It's just like buying a car in Canada, until you register it in your name in your province, you'll just have a signed registration from the seller. At the border and then at the provincial Ministry of Transport, you'll bring the US title that has been signed in your name. Some States do allow non-residents to register a vehicle so technically it's possible to have the title in your name but in most cases, you wouldn't want that as it will mean paying taxes twice (really the only exception would be Canadians that are living in the US and register a vehicle there and eventually return to Canada).
Thank you for the information! No problems with the CBP either with a title under a different name?

Would ICBC insure a car registered in a different name for the drive north before importing and registering it in BC?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2003
5265 posts
1623 upvotes
SK
kennneth wrote: Thank you for the information! No problems with the CBP either with a title under a different name?

Would ICBC insure a car registered in a different name for the drive north before importing and registering it in BC?
Since you mentioned BC, I found this from Google.

Import a vehicle into B.C.
ICBC wrote: Driving a vehicle from the U.S.

To drive a vehicle home from the U.S., you'll need to:
  • Buy temporary insurance from ICBC called a "Binder for Owner's Interim Certificate of Insurance" from your Autoplan broker. If you're outside of B.C., call 1-800-328-4484, Monday to Friday, 8:15 - 4:30 PST.
  • Buy an in-transit permit from the state in which you buy your vehicle. Please note, most U.S. states will not issue this permit without proof of insurance.
  • If you cancel the binder of insurance before its effective date, the full premium will be refunded. There are no refunds on binders of insurance once the policy is in effect.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2007
1354 posts
15 upvotes
Has anyone purchased a new or used Class B RV for cash recently? Can you tell me which dealers you used and how accommodating they were to cross border shoppers?

Canadian dealers have no idea that the gravy train left the station last year and prices are good in the US with availability immediate.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7429 posts
4675 upvotes
Ottawa
nornet wrote: Has anyone purchased a new or used Class B RV for cash recently? Can you tell me which dealers you used and how accommodating they were to cross border shoppers?

Canadian dealers have no idea that the gravy train left the station last year and prices are good in the US with availability immediate.
I don't think new RV dealers stop Canadians from buying (unlike cars where a lot of new dealers won't do it). As you probably know, with Class Bs you have be more careful about making sure they are admissible. But I suspect most will have no idea what's involved in exporting to Canada so you'll have to do your homework.
Jun 9, 2012
114 posts
41 upvotes
michelb wrote: Imports do not qualify for tax exemptions on gifts so are fully taxable. CBSA will not accept a $1 sale. Your only option really is to get it appraised but they might not even accept that. From my experience, if you don't have credible support of market value, they'll search AutoTrader for comparables and use that as an estimate for market value and tax you on that amount.
If you declare for only $1, officers will seize the car based on black book values. Declare the vehicle based on those values

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)