Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2004
4892 posts
985 upvotes
Ottawa
phlegm2 wrote:
Dec 21st, 2012 9:42 am
That said - and this is where I challenge you - how would they find that out? For example, if you are getting warranty work done at a Canadian dealership, and they ask about your US vehicle, would you respond with:

(a) "I imported this car from the US and saved $8000 over buying the car from you guys. I will never buy in Canada again as long as prices are so uneven. Now shut up, and get back to my warranty work!"

or

(b) "My work transferred me to Canada."

Just an example, but there is no way for the dealer/manufacturer to tell the reason behind the imported vehicle. I somehow doubt they'd screw an American citizen over who was transferred to Canada.

For B) this is valid for manufacturers that don't normally honor the warranty in Canada (e.g. Honda, Chrysler, etc) BUT the vehicle must have been registered in your name in the US prior to being imported in Canada and this only applies to the person it was registered to in the US (e.g. if you were working in the US, bought a Honda, got transfered to Canada, you still get warranty coverage in Canada but only you. If you sell the vehicle, the subsequent owner will not have any warranty coverage.
Oct 25, 2004
105 posts
12 upvotes
Actually there is another very important item that I forgot to include.

When negotiating, make sure you discuss shipping.
Either negotiate that you can use your own shipper of if you have to use the shipper provided (forced upon) by the dealer, make sure the shipping cost is within reasonable amount of 3rd party shipper.
I was told I could use a shipper of my choice then they kinda screwed me over by forcing me to use their shipper at a higher cost.
So one should deal with shipping up-front so they can't screw you over.

Phlegm2, I had to paid for my vehicle warranty letter from a 3rd party but again, this should have been in the condition of the sale which I did mention in my previous post.

I bought from a dealer, but not BMW dealer.

phlegm2 wrote:
Dec 21st, 2012 9:14 am
Thanks for sharing khaki - all these first-hand details are helpful to new importers.

I wanted to touch on the recall clearance letter bit, since you mentioned a snag in your case. Not sure if you noticed any of my older threads, but the RIV will also accept a printout from an authorized dealer service database, i.e. you don't necessarily need a letter from the manufacturer's head office.

In the case of Volvos, I get the dealer in the US to give me a printout against the VIN, and it shows that there is no outstanding work required. The actual form of this will obviously vary by manufacturer, but I've also used it successfully for a GMC Yukon import. This is especially nice in cases where the manufacturer will charge you for this letter, or force you to jump through hoops first.

Since you mentioned a used BMW, unsure if you bought from an actual BMW dealership or not. If so, the printout was an option.

Hope you didn't pay for the recall clearance letter.
Sep 19, 2009
796 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
Can anyone recommend a Subie dealer in Buffalo? or Is Detroit the place to go?
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
10878 posts
2212 upvotes
Kingston
gotridet wrote:
Dec 20th, 2012 2:58 am
Has anyone had any experience dealing with Subaru dealerships in the states? I'm located in Toronto.
runeash wrote:
Dec 20th, 2012 9:51 am
Has anyone had good savings experience buying Subaru Legacy here, any recommended dealers?
Bought my Subaru Outback from Romano Subaru in Syracuse. Worked with Ulas Uysal. They matched the Van Bortel price before adding back their $750 fee.
Sep 19, 2009
796 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone else in the market for a Subie? I'm definitely getting one regardless. We can probably get a deal with a dealer...
Sep 4, 2009
338 posts
111 upvotes
Can anyone recommend a good Subaru dealer in the Washington or Portland area?
Aug 12, 2007
528 posts
3 upvotes
Northtown? they are selling at invoice+$500+minor fees.they tell me they wont match VanBortel.
Van Bortel selling at invoice minus $500+$750 fees+minor fees ie invoice+$250
from what I find out.

does the Syracuse dealer add or not add the $750 Canadian fee ?????? after matching Vanbortel otherwise?
Jul 21, 2007
36 posts
khaki wrote:
Dec 21st, 2012 12:23 pm
Actually there is another very important item that I forgot to include.

When negotiating, make sure you discuss shipping.
Either negotiate that you can use your own shipper of if you have to use the shipper provided (forced upon) by the dealer, make sure the shipping cost is within reasonable amount of 3rd party shipper.
I was told I could use a shipper of my choice then they kinda screwed me over by forcing me to use their shipper at a higher cost.
So one should deal with shipping up-front so they can't screw you over.

Phlegm2, I had to paid for my vehicle warranty letter from a 3rd party but again, this should have been in the condition of the sale which I did mention in my previous post.

I bought from a dealer, but not BMW dealer.
I am assuming that you are not concerned about warranty?
Oct 25, 2004
105 posts
12 upvotes
There is US warranty, I haven't try Canadian warranty yet. Some people have luck that you can just bring it to Canadian dealer to do warranty work, others not.
ottawa_hull wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2012 3:41 pm
I am assuming that you are not concerned about warranty?
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2006
4598 posts
2234 upvotes
Northside
Hello all,

Im looking for 2010-2011 bmw m3's from the States...can you guys provide some tips as to where I can look? Much appreciated.
Sep 4, 2009
338 posts
111 upvotes
Has anyone had dealings with Joe Spitz from

CARS101.COM

He has a long time and very informative website on Subaru cars and is from the Seattle area.
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
10878 posts
2212 upvotes
Kingston
petaling108 wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2012 7:48 am
does the Syracuse dealer add or not add the $750 Canadian fee ?????? after matching Vanbortel otherwise?
I asked Romano Subaru to match the Van Bortel website price and they did. So they did not add the $750 fee to the Van Bortel price (I expect they aren't aware of it)