Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Nov 26, 2006
46 posts
15 upvotes
Forgive me if this has been asked before, I couldnt find the answer to this. What are the options for
a) Payment to dealers / private sellers in the U.S.
b) For driving back to Canada. How do you get U.S. temp. plates/insurance.
Nov 26, 2006
46 posts
15 upvotes
Haps13 wrote:
Jun 5th, 2012 7:45 am
Import Report:

Bought a 2012 Honda Pilot in New Mexico. It had 1000 miles on it. I had no success arranging shipping to Sault Ste Marie, MI. So I decided to fly down and pick it up. We had already fedexed paperwork back and forth so the dealership picked me up at the airport. I dropped the guy off. They gave me a temporary New Mexico plate and off I went.

I had faxed my title and bill of sale to the US customs about 9 days in advance. I pulled up to the bridge toll and asked the attendant for US customs. She told me to pull over under the balcony(where they do vehicle searches). I pulled up and their were 2 border agents there. I told them I needed to export a vehicle. The one guy took me inside while the other gave the vehicle a quick once over and checked the VIN.

Inside at the counter I said I was exporting the vehicle and I had faxed in the paperwork last week. I handed over the title and bill of sale and 5 minutes later I had a stamped title and was off to the Canadian Customs.

I pulled up to the booth and told the attendant I was importing the vehicle. She asked how much I paid and wrote it down on a yellow slip and gave it to me and told me to pull under the vehicle inspection canopies.

I went inside and handed the slip to the guy at the counter. He wanted to see bill of sale, title, ID. He started fillling out RIV's Form 1 and collected their fee. He converted sale price and calculated tax and sent me to cashier to pay the 5% tax portion. Then he sent me on my way.

I got home and scanned title front and back and recall clearance and emailed it to RIV at around 7:20AM. 8:20AM I got an email back with FORM 2 from them. I printed it and headed down to Canadian Tire. They did the RIV inspection but I also had to pay $75 for a safety certificate because it was a used vehicle.

An hour later I was standing in the MTO office. Handed her the title, bill of sale, form1, form2, the safety, and the reciept from paying the tax at border. Paid the provincial portion of the taxes and had a green ownership slip in my hand 10mins later.

All in all a very simple process. I remember how daunting it seemed at first and in all my research everyone who has done it says it's easy. I'm one of them now. It really is easy.
Having said and done it all, how much were you able to save roughly.
Sep 17, 2003
702 posts
13 upvotes
teddybear007 wrote:
Dec 27th, 2012 9:52 am
Forgive me if this has been asked before, I couldnt find the answer to this. What are the options for
a) Payment to dealers / private sellers in the U.S.
b) For driving back to Canada. How do you get U.S. temp. plates/insurance.
a. Certified cheque, direct deposit via wiring money

b. The dealers should be able help you get the temp plates if you are allowed to drive the car out of the state that you purchased from. Some states have strict rules regarding getting temp plates so best to check if it is possible. Insurance -- ask your current car insurer to give you insurance for driving your new vehicle in the US.
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2006
4398 posts
123 upvotes
Toronto
hi everyone,

typically speaking with Mercedes and BMW/Mini when they say changes need to be made by an authorized dealer how much could that potentially cost in terms of making the changes for a 2013 X3...hypothetically?
I die every Monday at 7am and reborn Friday at 4pm
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2007
1777 posts
89 upvotes
Mississauga
Wanted to get everyone's opinion.
I pretty much decided what I want but i cant seem to rationalize what sort of buying power I have.
Say I found a 2 year old vehicle I like priced at 20K in SC. If I show up and start negotiating with cash payment is it realistic to pay 17k? Just trying to understand how low the dealers are willing to go in states if you show up with cash on hand.
Thanks.
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2003
6562 posts
244 upvotes
Chasem wrote:
Dec 24th, 2012 1:00 am
Has anyone had dealings with Joe Spitz
Yup I bought my tribeca from him before Subaru stopped selling new cars to Canadians. Joe is a very straightforward no BS guy. You have to know exactly what you want and he'll get it for you. He doesn't waste time trying to sell you junk, you have to tell him what you want. Model/Colour/Options. When I went to pick up my car, I was in and out of the dealership in less than an hour, and at least half that time was him showing me how stuff worked on the car. He sold quite a few cars to Canadians before (there is a secontion on cars101 about it) so he should know the procedure.
Sep 19, 2009
796 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
For those that have gone through the process of buying down south, do dealers down there have wiggle room away from the invoice price? $500? $1000?
From what I read, the invoice price is typically closer to the real value of the car
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2007
1777 posts
89 upvotes
Mississauga
gotridet wrote:
Dec 28th, 2012 9:15 pm
For those that have gone through the process of buying down south, do dealers down there have wiggle room away from the invoice price? $500? $1000?
From what I read, the invoice price is typically closer to the real value of the car
Just out of curiosity, are you referring to invoice price as the price tag on the vehicle or a price that dealer pays for the car?
Sep 7, 2009
236 posts
34 upvotes
koleso wrote:
Dec 28th, 2012 3:54 pm
Wanted to get everyone's opinion.
I pretty much decided what I want but i cant seem to rationalize what sort of buying power I have.
Say I found a 2 year old vehicle I like priced at 20K in SC. If I show up and start negotiating with cash payment is it realistic to pay 17k? Just trying to understand how low the dealers are willing to go in states if you show up with cash on hand.
Thanks.
You probably have this sorted, but thought I'd mention the "large amount of cash across the border" thingy for others that are opting for this method. As you've likely seen in US customs forms at the airport, you have to declare amounts of cash > $10K. You can actually bring along any amount of cash you wish as long as the proper form is filled out beforehand, but it is a separate form. I think I posted the form details in this thread a long time ago - a search should find it.

Re your specific question about cash deals, I can only assume that an immediate cash sale is an equally attractive thing for both US and Canadian dealers. That said, I've always negotiated in advance of heading down to the US.

I can think of a few "gotchas" though about this - feel free to tell me if you disagree:
1. If you show up without a deal already set, there's a chance you may return home empty-handed if you don't get the price you want. There's a cost associated with that.
2. If the salesperson suspects you are visiting from Canada, and are down to do a cash deal, I wonder if this actually puts you (the buyer) in a worse postion? In theory, you don't to waste the trip to the US, so there could be more pressure on you to cave in on price. (?)
3. There are several things that take time: (1) obtaining the ownership documents, (2) plates, (3) faxing/emailing details to the US border 3 days in advance. If you show up and make a deal on the spot in cash, you'd have to wait a minimum of 3 days in the US before you could drive back.

While immediate cash deals probably help you locally, I wonder if they help at all on imports.
Mar 12, 2007
905 posts
169 upvotes
Kingston
Anyone has recently purchased "Subaru Tribeca" down from South? Please do share (dealer/deal/etc.). Many thanks!
Feb 11, 2003
630 posts
72 upvotes
Rocketo wrote:
Dec 27th, 2012 3:21 pm
hi everyone,

typically speaking with Mercedes and BMW/Mini when they say changes need to be made by an authorized dealer how much could that potentially cost in terms of making the changes for a 2013 X3...hypothetically?
I imported a 2011 X3...no changes neccessary...but if u want to have the 4 yr/50 mi scheduled maintenance done in Canada you'll probably need to spend upwards of $2000 to get the dash changed over...thats just a guess on my part though
Dec 31, 2012
2 posts
SCARBOROUGH
I'm looking to buy either a new 2012 Honda Odyssey EXL or 2013 Toyota Sienna XLE FWD. Does anyone know of any dealers in the states willing to sell to a Canadian? Has anyone recently imported any of the above vehicles successfully? I also have family in Florida that may be able to make the purchase for me, just wondering how that would work if he were do to that for me and "sell" it to me, would he be charged the state taxes? Can he buy from a dealer remotely (say in New hampshire) and I can pick it up for him?
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2005
1395 posts
341 upvotes
Calgary
newkid wrote:
Jan 1st, 2013 12:58 am
I imported a 2011 X3...no changes neccessary...but if u want to have the 4 yr/50 mi scheduled maintenance done in Canada you'll probably need to spend upwards of $2000 to get the dash changed over...thats just a guess on my part though
Did that change recently? I had thought it had been to keep the warranty it required modifications (Cluster) to be done.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1347 posts
162 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
JWL wrote:
Dec 30th, 2012 1:10 pm
When did this happen? I bought mine just a couple of months ago.
Joe sent me an email some time ago explaining that some Canadians were beating him up for a couple of hundred bucks. His pricing was amazing and I guess people weren't satisfied saving $5000-8000 or more on a loaded Subaru, they wanted to save an extra $100 so they could have bragging rights on getting the best deal. Joe simply shut those folks down by simply opting not to sell to Canadians.

A busy sales rep. knows his bottom line (and has his dealerships full approval) and will sell based on volume.

I learned a lot about US vs. Canadian sales tactics over the years and stealers up here in Canada still have a lot to learn.

A rule of thumb I have been repeatedly been told by US sales reps: get a price on a fully loaded vehicle and work backwards to what you want. NEVER EVER work up. With this tactic, you can quickly determine the ballpark price on options. The Internet also is full of true invoice prices of specific options. With some digging, you can find out what "factory to dealer" incentives are in place. I will always remember when my moonroof was a free-to-dealer incentive and the Canadian stealer told me it was a $3000 option that he would let me have for $2000! Those tactics are the reason I've kept pushing for US car purchases. All my friends and family now compare pricing in the US before they consider a Canadian option. Many of them simply buy in the US as the deals and selection are much greater.
I've been on RFDs for over a decade. My award-winning thread from 2006 is still going strong and one of the most popular on this site!

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)