Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2001
1510 posts
45 upvotes
Maple
Has anyone found a US Toyota dealer willing to sell to Canadians recently? Looking for a Sienna...
Oct 25, 2004
105 posts
12 upvotes
I didn't purchased from a BMW dealer and I didn't, but should have, put the recall letter as a condition of the sale.

In the end, I didn't get a recall letter but a vehicle warranty statement which is as good as a recall letter. Nor did I get cluster change either.

phlegm2 wrote: Just wanted to reiterate a point on the recall letter, since you mentioned it was a problem, at least for BMW. You don't necessarily need to contact the manufacturer for a recall clearnace letter. In many cases they may even charge you for the letter, or in the case of Volvo, you have to do a phoney baloney "inspection" at a Volvo dealer before they'll give you the letter.

As mentioned on the RIV site, http://www.riv.ca/RecallClearance.aspx, you can also use a printout from a dealer's database. This is probably trickier if you didn't buy the vehicle from a dealer directly, but I suspect you could head to a BMW dealer later on, get an oil change (or something trivial) and ask for a dealer printout at that time. All you need is something showing the VIN, and that you're checking against warranty work. Easy.

The other thing I'll regurgitate is that the vehicle manufacturer doesn't make the import rules, the RIV does. That means that if the RIV says your car is admissable (and pretty much all modern road cars are), then you can import it. The trick that manufacturers play - to protect Canadian overpricing - is to sometimes make you go through extra hoops. In the case of BMW, I believe they make you change out the instrument cluster to metric (at significant cost) in order to obtain warranty coverage in Canada. (? - correct me if wrong - I'm not a BMW guy.) But, you can absolutely import a BMW without paying for the instrument cluster cash grab if you don't want/need the warranty. It depends on how much money you've saved.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2007
1845 posts
93 upvotes
Mississauga
Does anyone have a contact in GTA that can buy vehicle from iaai.com (Insurance Auto Auction)?
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
12333 posts
6193 upvotes
Toronto
cl3537 wrote: I'm looking for a NEW 2012 or 2013 Lexus RX350. Who do you suggest as an importer? or are there any US dealers who are willing to ship NEW cars to the border that you know of?
Anyone done what I am trying to do?
Following up on this one, I too may be interested in importing an RX350 from the US...preferably new.

How far south are we having to go to find a dealer who will sell to Canadians?
Sep 6, 2005
169 posts
29 upvotes
Guess we are all looking for the same SUV! Hope someone can suggest a dealer.
MS MSP wrote: Following up on this one, I too may be interested in importing an RX350 from the US...preferably new.

How far south are we having to go to find a dealer who will sell to Canadians?
Aug 28, 2002
47 posts
Is there anything different I need to do if I have my Amerifriend (WA resident) buy a new car from the dealer and sell it to me right afterwards? Is this even possible to do in the same day since it takes 3-4 weeks for the new-car purchaser to receive the actual title from the DMV? My plan is to purchase the vehicle in OR state so we don't have to pay double taxes.
Jan 11, 2009
32 posts
6 upvotes
Barrie
teddybear007 wrote: Having said and done it all, how much were you able to save roughly.
X2. Interested in a Pilot and willing to travel any where in the lower 48 to save a few thousand. Hopefully 10 at least
Sep 7, 2009
237 posts
34 upvotes
Rick wrote: Is there anything different I need to do if I have my Amerifriend (WA resident) buy a new car from the dealer and sell it to me right afterwards? Is this even possible to do in the same day since it takes 3-4 weeks for the new-car purchaser to receive the actual title from the DMV? My plan is to purchase the vehicle in OR state so we don't have to pay double taxes.
This question has come up a lot in this forum, but the benefits of having an American friend or relative purchase on your behalf are minimal. One advantage I know of, is when a given manufacturer will not sell a new vehicle to Canadians, i.e. GMC. So, in this case, your Amerifriend could buy the new car for you.

That seems to be the extent of the advantage though. In many states, Americans will have to pay taxes when they buy (and/or register), so you could end up paying taxes twice, as you suggest. There might even be a fee or tax assessment when your Amerifriend "sells" the car back to you.

However, there's probably no need for you to employ your American friend if tax avoidance in the US is your goal. I'm not an expert on WA, but when I purchased my vehicles in PA I simply showed that I was a Canadian citizen, and they did not have to collect sales tax. In other cases you have to fill out a form. See the first post in this thread by M. Maggot - his site has a state-by-state list of taxes.

So, unless you are trying to buy a new car that isn't typically sold to Canadians, you probably don't need an American helper.
Sep 7, 2009
237 posts
34 upvotes
Fivecoolcats wrote: X2. Interested in a Pilot and willing to travel any where in the lower 48 to save a few thousand. Hopefully 10 at least
Just be aware that Honda will not honour your warranty in Canada. That said, if you save $10K you may decide you don't care about warranty, or may decide to buy one from a 3rd party.
Aug 28, 2002
47 posts
Thanks for the reply. The main goal is to purchase a new Honda Accord which is not possible to do at the dealership level. I know there won't be a warranty but >$7K savings could easily justify that. The only thing I can think of now is to get another Amerifriend (one who resides in OR state) to purchase the car and title/register it. I believe the titling from the DMV would take a month to arrive in which time they would sell it to me as a used car and then I would drive it up to Vancouver. Am I missing anything here?
phlegm2 wrote: This question has come up a lot in this forum, but the benefits of having an American friend or relative purchase on your behalf are minimal. One advantage I know of, is when a given manufacturer will not sell a new vehicle to Canadians, i.e. GMC. So, in this case, your Amerifriend could buy the new car for you.

That seems to be the extent of the advantage though. In many states, Americans will have to pay taxes when they buy (and/or register), so you could end up paying taxes twice, as you suggest. There might even be a fee or tax assessment when your Amerifriend "sells" the car back to you.

However, there's probably no need for you to employ your American friend if tax avoidance in the US is your goal. I'm not an expert on WA, but when I purchased my vehicles in PA I simply showed that I was a Canadian citizen, and they did not have to collect sales tax. In other cases you have to fill out a form. See the first post in this thread by M. Maggot - his site has a state-by-state list of taxes.

So, unless you are trying to buy a new car that isn't typically sold to Canadians, you probably don't need an American helper.
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
10971 posts
2341 upvotes
Kingston
Rick wrote: Thanks for the reply. The main goal is to purchase a new Honda Accord which is not possible to do at the dealership level. I know there won't be a warranty but >$7K savings could easily justify that. The only thing I can think of now is to get another Amerifriend (one who resides in OR state) to purchase the car and title/register it. I believe the titling from the DMV would take a month to arrive in which time they would sell it to me as a used car and then I would drive it up to Vancouver. Am I missing anything here?
In Ontario you would have to get it safetied since it is used. Might be similar in BC.
Aug 16, 2010
346 posts
133 upvotes
Rick wrote: Thanks for the reply. The main goal is to purchase a new Honda Accord which is not possible to do at the dealership level. I know there won't be a warranty but >$7K savings could easily justify that. The only thing I can think of now is to get another Amerifriend (one who resides in OR state) to purchase the car and title/register it. I believe the titling from the DMV would take a month to arrive in which time they would sell it to me as a used car and then I would drive it up to Vancouver. Am I missing anything here?
In my case(Pilot) it was easier to just wait until I cam across a low mileage used vehicle. I realize some people want new new. To me buying a vehicle with less then 1000 miles was as good as new.
Mar 12, 2007
952 posts
191 upvotes
Kingston
Haps13 wrote: In my case(Pilot) it was easier to just wait until I cam across a low mileage used vehicle. I realize some people want new new. To me buying a vehicle with less then 1000 miles was as good as new.
Would you mind sharing the way to get used "Pilot" under 1000 miles? Thanks.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
7605 posts
3967 upvotes
Kootenays
JWL wrote: In Ontario you would have to get it safetied since it is used. Might be similar in BC.
In BC, even brand new vehicles bought out of province must have a safety inspection.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
7605 posts
3967 upvotes
Kootenays
atlantic_man wrote: Would you mind sharing the way to get used "Pilot" under 1000 miles? Thanks.
Find a dealer with a demo that has been registered to the dealership.