Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Aug 2, 2006
328 posts
43 upvotes
Hi Everyone,

Any idea why Alexandria, Champlain, and Johnstown/Ogdensberg all require original paperwork 72hrs in advanced? I can take 7hr detour through Lewiston which would accept documents ahead of time allowing me to complete the transaction in one day.
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
10812 posts
2155 upvotes
Kingston
thedead wrote:
Aug 6th, 2014 6:07 pm
Hi Everyone,

Any idea why Alexandria, Champlain, and Johnstown/Ogdensberg all require original paperwork 72hrs in advanced? I can take 7hr detour through Lewiston which would accept documents ahead of time allowing me to complete the transaction in one day.
Landsdowne also requires original paperwork. Lewiston used to require original paperwork. My guess would be that Lewiston had such a high volume that they changed their process to be more efficient, but the others have had to, or wanted to, change.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7382 posts
632 upvotes
Toronto
Lewiston is very easy. Just went through there this past week again. Not even 10 mins with the CBP and we were on our way to see Canada Customs.

Email the VIN and the header from the Carfax that has all the model/trim/engine info. That's all they need.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7382 posts
632 upvotes
Toronto
KiloPapa wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2014 9:25 pm
Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has had any luck finding a Toyota dealer that will sell new. There are lots of older posts saying the further south you go the better your chances - but I haven't been able to find anyone. At this point I don't even think I would save much money - it's only because the Tacoma I want isn't offered in Canada...

Anyways - if anyone has any suggestions for Toyota dealers in the west - please shoot me a pm.

Thanks!
Find a lightly used, dealer demo, etc etc....Tacoma is not a popular model anymore, so that in and of itself will be difficult, but new Toyota USA to Canada is 99.999% impossible.The 0.001% might come through a broker or someone with connections within the US, but that's going to be very difficult and costly.
Aug 2, 2014
2 posts
Calgary, Canada
Drew_W wrote:
Aug 10th, 2014 10:34 am
Find a lightly used, dealer demo, etc etc....Tacoma is not a popular model anymore, so that in and of itself will be difficult, but new Toyota USA to Canada is 99.999% impossible.The 0.001% might come through a broker or someone with connections within the US, but that's going to be very difficult and costly.
Awesome - thanks for the info. Might have to go the demo route. It's too bad - because it isn't even much of a savings anymore - it's more that I can't get the model I want up here. Anyways - thanks for the reply!
Sep 7, 2009
236 posts
34 upvotes
Drew_W wrote:
Aug 10th, 2014 10:30 am
Lewiston is very easy. Just went through there this past week again. Not even 10 mins with the CBP and we were on our way to see Canada Customs.

Email the VIN and the header from the Carfax that has all the model/trim/engine info. That's all they need.
Did you have to create an account with AESDirect to report electronically?
Aug 16, 2014
1 posts
1 upvote
Lancaster Park, AB
KiloPapa wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2014 9:25 pm
Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has had any luck finding a Toyota dealer that will sell new. There are lots of older posts saying the further south you go the better your chances - but I haven't been able to find anyone. At this point I don't even think I would save much money - it's only because the Tacoma I want isn't offered in Canada...

Anyways - if anyone has any suggestions for Toyota dealers in the west - please shoot me a pm.

Thanks!

I'm in the same situation, looking for a brand new Tacoma that isn't sold in Canada. Are you looking for a regular cab or are you looking at the pre-runner or the 4x2 dbl cab? I'm in Alberta and I've contacted all of the dealerships but two in the province. One quoted me $13k over MSRP and another least $5k over. All dealers in Montana would only sell used but I went to a dealership in the NW Washington area on my trip a few weeks ago and they were willing to sell me a new one only if I paid about $1500 over MSRP... they said it was extra paperwork so the manufacturer wouldn't know that it was being sold for export... Total price to get it all registered in AB would be just under $30k depending on exchange rate. Still trying to find a dealer who wouldn't sell above MSRP. I'm kinda in a rush because Toyota stopped making the regular cab for the 2015 lineup.

From reading the US brochure, it says that the regular cab doesn't come with an engine immobilizer which is required.... another hurdle for me... at least DRL is standard :)

How's your progress going? PM if you want,
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
6948 posts
3098 upvotes
Kootenays
NinjaMatt wrote:
Aug 17th, 2014 1:15 am

From reading the US brochure, it says that the regular cab doesn't come with an engine immobilizer which is required.... another hurdle for me... at least DRL is standard :)

How's your progress going? PM if you want,
If it's like most US Toyotas, there's a switch to disable the DRLs. A picky inspector will catch that and make you change it.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
6948 posts
3098 upvotes
Kootenays
Has anyone ever brought a dirt bike in? My son is looking at a CRF150R in the US. Is there only GST applicable, since it won't be registered?
Dec 30, 2007
655 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
Anybody aware of differences between 2015 Outback models in US and Canada. Last year, there were some differences such as TPMS,Rear Seat Vents and some other small ones.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
6948 posts
3098 upvotes
Kootenays
smacd wrote:
Aug 18th, 2014 3:28 pm
Has anyone ever brought a dirt bike in? My son is looking at a CRF150R in the US. Is there only GST applicable, since it won't be registered?
Never mind. Bought one semi-locally.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2004
4594 posts
756 upvotes
Ottawa
Drew_W wrote:
Aug 1st, 2014 10:56 am
Anyone had RIV accept Toyota "self service" printout from their recall system on their website?

http://www.toyota.com/owners/web/pages/ ... es/recalls

Dealer printout may not be required, since real time VIN lookup of recalls and service campaigns is available right on the Toyota site.
FYI, I imported a used Toyota in March 2014 and didn't even have to provide RIV with a recall clearance letter; they said they were able to get it from the website so I was good to go.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2004
4594 posts
756 upvotes
Ottawa
smacd wrote:
Aug 18th, 2014 3:26 pm
If it's like most US Toyotas, there's a switch to disable the DRLs. A picky inspector will catch that and make you change it.
I think this depends on the individual model / trim; I've imported a Toyota Sienna and a Toyota Highlander and both came with DRLs which can't be disabled.
Sep 7, 2009
236 posts
34 upvotes
Anonymouse wrote:
Aug 25th, 2014 6:57 pm
Can't you just keep going to different CT stores until you find a pimply faced kid who doesn't notice that you can disable the DRLs?
Hate to say it, but that's true. They just wont be familiar enough with a given vehicle to find some things. I had a tech almost fail me because he couldn't find km/h, when it is just a rotating knob on a Volvo.

So, odds are a different CT store wouldn't find a problem if the 1st one did.

That said, manufacturers don't want to make substantially different vehicles for Canada as it wouldn't be cost effective. So, for the DRL disable on the Toyota, I'd guess that there is a Canadian firmware update that disables it. That was the case with a GMC Yukon I imported 2 years ago. I just had the US dealer apply that firmware for free.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)