Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Mar 23, 2013
28 posts
10 upvotes
Hi

Has anyone imported a car since the new USA export rules came into effect?

I'm wanting to import a 2014 Cadillac at the Queenston/Lewiston bridge myself and the system has changed....here's a link https://www.riv.ca/ImportantNotices.aspx ........ https://aesdirect.census.gov/ we as Canadians cannot use this new systems from what I can see.

Anyone have any info about this, that may help me out.

Thanks
Chris
Sep 7, 2009
237 posts
34 upvotes
nasmac wrote: Hi

Has anyone imported a car since the new USA export rules came into effect?

I'm wanting to import a 2014 Cadillac at the Queenston/Lewiston bridge myself and the system has changed....here's a link https://www.riv.ca/ImportantNotices.aspx ........ https://aesdirect.census.gov/ we as Canadians cannot use this new systems from what I can see.

Anyone have any info about this, that may help me out.

Thanks
Chris
I'm also waiting for someone to chime in on that. Also, the wording indicates "used" vehicles, so curious if new vehicles avoid this.

To your comment, what suggests that we can't use this as Canadians?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2005
5420 posts
1018 upvotes
phlegm2 wrote: If they continue to decline, explain that:
-it is the same concept as picking up a new car at the dealership in Canada
-you will fully own the vehicle

...and ask them how you are typically covered in the US, or are they saying you aren't allowed to drive there? :)
it's not the same at all though truthfully - it's a grey area you take a risk when buying (albeit minor)

to have valid insurance your car must be Ontario plated (it says this in your policy)

when you buy a car here locally it will be Ontario plated.
when you buy it from the States it won't.
Sep 7, 2009
237 posts
34 upvotes
ssainani wrote: it's not the same at all though truthfully - it's a grey area you take a risk when buying (albeit minor)

to have valid insurance your car must be Ontario plated (it says this in your policy)

when you buy a car here locally it will be Ontario plated.
when you buy it from the States it won't.
That's not strictly true. There is facility for temporary plates from other jurisdictions.

As mentioned, I've made it very clear to the insurance firms that I'd be picking up the vehicle in the US (gave them the dealer address), and it was not an issue with the binder of insurance on several occasions.

I suppose the main point of my response was that it shouldn't be a big deal to get the binder.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2005
5420 posts
1018 upvotes
phlegm2 wrote: I suppose the main point of my response was that it shouldn't be a big deal to get the binder.
of course -- getting the binder is not a big deal at all.

BUT -- getting them to pay out on a claim which contradicts policy wording will be for sure.
Mar 23, 2013
28 posts
10 upvotes
I have tried to use the system...you have to enter where you live, and Canada is not one of there options lol. I talked with Lewiston bridge....I only need to email them vin, make and model...no attachment. the new system go's into full effect Oct 2014. I will ask some more question when I'm there...for now I'll just make it through on the old system.
Oct 20, 2010
304 posts
34 upvotes
I bought off ebay. I generally noticed that prices at Ohio, Cleveland dealers (on ebay) tends to be lower than Texas based dealers. Possible explanation is very good economy in Texas over last few years. After my Ohio import my friend imported from Texas. Texas dealer will ship car to Buffalo where car will be held for you to go and pick up. You don't need to ship it to Hotel.
Anonymouse wrote: Has anyone here bought a car from eBay Motors? Was thinking of buying a car based on pictures from a high volume dealer in Texas. I could have the car shipped to a hotel in New York state - shipping is $800, which seems quite reasonable.
Oct 20, 2010
304 posts
34 upvotes
Ask dealer if they will accept bank draft (I carried bank draft with me) if yes carry 95% value bank draft, if no, all dealers will accept wire transfers. In case when you are there and price is below 95%, they can write you a check for the difference.
dj026 wrote: How do you actually pay for a US car?
I was told by a dealer that I need to wait a week in case I bring a Canadian certified cheque.
Also I was told that I can't put an outstanding balance on my Canadian credit card in case my ceritified cheque doesn't cover the whole price.
I may not know an exact price in advance, so I may have a situation when my ceritified cheque covers 95% of the price and I need to pay a few thousand dollars extra.
Oct 20, 2010
304 posts
34 upvotes
If you visited dealers during month-end they are likely to not ask $1,500 premium and more willing to close deal as their monthly incentives/targets have to be met. During beginning of the month they can/may play difficult.
NinjaMatt wrote: I'm in the same situation, looking for a brand new Tacoma that isn't sold in Canada. Are you looking for a regular cab or are you looking at the pre-runner or the 4x2 dbl cab? I'm in Alberta and I've contacted all of the dealerships but two in the province. One quoted me $13k over MSRP and another least $5k over. All dealers in Montana would only sell used but I went to a dealership in the NW Washington area on my trip a few weeks ago and they were willing to sell me a new one only if I paid about $1500 over MSRP... they said it was extra paperwork so the manufacturer wouldn't know that it was being sold for export... Total price to get it all registered in AB would be just under $30k depending on exchange rate. Still trying to find a dealer who wouldn't sell above MSRP. I'm kinda in a rush because Toyota stopped making the regular cab for the 2015 lineup.

From reading the US brochure, it says that the regular cab doesn't come with an engine immobilizer which is required.... another hurdle for me... at least DRL is standard :)

How's your progress going? PM if you want,
Mar 23, 2013
28 posts
10 upvotes
Went to The USA to day to close the deal on a used 2014 Cadillac XTS. After a number of emails/photos and 3 phone calls to make sure this car had original paint, NEVER TRUST ANYONE. Car has been hit, what a waste of time...lucky I had a digital paint thickness gauge. O well...win some loose some.

If the cars vin is googled , hope they read this thread. Vin# 2G61M5S39E9216426
Sep 7, 2009
237 posts
34 upvotes
vipuls wrote: Ask dealer if they will accept bank draft (I carried bank draft with me) if yes carry 95% value bank draft, if no, all dealers will accept wire transfers. In case when you are there and price is below 95%, they can write you a check for the difference.
Curious why you wouldn't negotiate a final price before heading to the US. (?)
Oct 20, 2010
304 posts
34 upvotes
On ebay dealer listings, you bid and agree on price (which is usually "buy it now" price) and there is no more room for negotiation. In my situation he couldn't provide no recall letter from manufacturer so he agreed to refund $100 for same for which he wrote me a check.
phlegm2 wrote: Curious why you wouldn't negotiate a final price before heading to the US. (?)
Sep 7, 2009
237 posts
34 upvotes
vipuls wrote: On ebay dealer listings, you bid and agree on price (which is usually "buy it now" price) and there is no more room for negotiation. In my situation he couldn't provide no recall letter from manufacturer so he agreed to refund $100 for same for which he wrote me a check.
Well, good for you to get an extra $100 off the price, but you should never have to pay for a recall letter anyway. (Obviously the dealer didn't know that.)
Oct 20, 2010
304 posts
34 upvotes
No i was fair to him. Merc Benz USA charges $350 for recall letter and if no recall letter, VMI print out from any dealership works which he could not arrange. It cost me $100 to arrange for VMI print out which he paid for.
phlegm2 wrote: Well, good for you to get an extra $100 off the price, but you should never have to pay for a recall letter anyway. (Obviously the dealer didn't know that.)
Mar 23, 2013
28 posts
10 upvotes
phlegm2 wrote: Curious why you wouldn't negotiate a final price before heading to the US. (?)
For me....

I always have negotiated the price before going to see the car. I would not purchased the car at full price. Just to far to travel for an un-agreed price, This way, if the car checks out...I buy...and maybe if its not just as stated in ad...I may offer less.