Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2011
2062 posts
442 upvotes
Vancouver
Magoomba wrote:
Oct 19th, 2015 10:20 pm
How sad is this. Now Americans are saving $ by buying their cars in Canada.
http://slickdeals.net/f/8171830-25-off- ... =1&src=pdw
This won't happen too often. The infiniti that the OP got was after doing a lot of work, and the car was not a high volume car.

Most Americans are not willing to do the leg work that this guy did.
Banned
May 24, 2008
647 posts
722 upvotes
I read in the Globe that over 40% of GMC pickups are the top-trim Denali models. So there must be lots of used ones for sale, right? But I wasn't seeing any on Auto Trader or kijiji. Today I found out why.

The local car dealers are calling all their former customers owning a pickup or SUV less than 3 years old. They are offering to buy the vehicles back and put the owners into new models at a great price.

The used vehicle goes straight onto a car carrier bound for the United States. The American dealer spends $800 changing the speedometer and sells the vehicle for the Canadian price, except in US dollars. The Canadian dealer collects the 35% currency exchange.

These are the same Canadian dealers who were crying about all the business they were losing to Canadians buying cars in the US. The ones who lobbied the government for the recall letters, and the manufacturers to cancel warranties.
I can help you delete your unwanted RFD posts. PM me.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2006
2561 posts
1052 upvotes
Anonymouse wrote:
Nov 20th, 2015 8:34 pm
I read in the Globe that over 40% of GMC pickups are the top-trim Denali models. So there must be lots of used ones for sale, right? But I wasn't seeing any on Auto Trader or kijiji. Today I found out why.

The local car dealers are calling all their former customers owning a pickup or SUV less than 3 years old. They are offering to buy the vehicles back and put the owners into new models at a great price.

The used vehicle goes straight onto a car carrier bound for the United States. The American dealer spends $800 changing the speedometer and sells the vehicle for the Canadian price, except in US dollars. The Canadian dealer collects the 35% currency exchange.

These are the same Canadian dealers who were crying about all the business they were losing to Canadians buying cars in the US. The ones who lobbied the government for the recall letters, and the manufacturers to cancel warranties.
MMMM wrote:
Jun 19th, 2015 4:14 pm
Interesting piece of info. While shopping for a used vehicle in Alberta this week I was told by two dealerships in Edm that they are selling more than a few trucks to US dealers. Will be interesting to see
if Cdn dealers scream foul. This was common practice in the early 2000's when the dollar sucked.
Being going on since last winter. The dealers are scum plain and simple.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
17456 posts
2229 upvotes
Langley
Anonymouse wrote:
Nov 20th, 2015 8:34 pm

Makes sense. I bought my 08 Sierra SLT w/duramax in 2012 for low 30s. I still see similar trucks on CL for about 30k. Theres no way that I'd find an equivalent deal now. I can't find a decent 4yo SLT duramax for the same price I paid, I'd be looking at least 40k. I couldn't figure out how these trucks retain value so well but that explains it. Only the worst deals stay in Canada, the reasonable ones are exported.
Aug 14, 2011
312 posts
73 upvotes
Calgary
colezy9 wrote:
Jul 1st, 2015 9:58 am
Question...I imported from the USA that has been plated in Saskatchewan for a couple years, what would be the process to sell the car on the USA market - any restrictions or things I should be aware of? I live near the border and I'd like to take advantage of selling it in USA while there dollar is much stronger than ours plus a USA car may be an easier sell in USA than Canada. Thanks in advance.
Did you ever get an answer to this???

I am looking to do the same with my US Jeep Grand Cherokee...might as well send it back and make some bucks!!
Sep 21, 2008
389 posts
298 upvotes
MMMM wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2015 6:25 pm
Being going on since last winter. The dealers are scum plain and simple.
I'm not sure this alone makes them scum. They are taking advantage of the market in pretty much the same way we all were when we could import cars for much cheaper than we could buy them locally.

Actually, you're right: they're scum....we're just scum too :D
Sep 7, 2009
233 posts
34 upvotes
buriboi wrote:
Jan 17th, 2016 3:35 am
I'm not sure this alone makes them scum. They are taking advantage of the market in pretty much the same way we all were when we could import cars for much cheaper than we could buy them locally.

Actually they're far more scummy than we are. I posted it many months ago in this thread, but when my father-in-law was contemplating importing a US car, he visited Canadian dealers first. One scum salesman lied to him saying that he'd have to replace his bumpers in order for a US GMC Yukon to meet airbag standards in Canada!

Oddly enough, I don't see the Canadian dealers swapping out their bumpers in order to export to the US.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2006
2561 posts
1052 upvotes
buriboi wrote:
Jan 17th, 2016 3:35 am

phlegm2 wrote:
Jan 17th, 2016 10:42 pm
Actually they're far more scummy than we are. I posted it many months ago in this thread, but when my father-in-law was contemplating importing a US car, he visited Canadian dealers first. One scum salesman lied to him saying that he'd have to replace his bumpers in order for a US GMC Yukon to meet airbag standards in Canada!

Oddly enough, I don't see the Canadian dealers swapping out their bumpers in order to export to the US.
There was the Toyota salesmen on national news talking about the differences in Rav 4s. Supposedly Cdn versions were winterized with a better windshield washer tank...huh! Same part number on both vehicles. Honda laughed at me for buying in the states. Happily serviced my vehicle for 9 years though! Bumper stories (audi), issues with speedos (all), no block heater, Child tether issues, incompatible wiring loom (true in my case), no warranty(some were true), the list is endless and yes they are all scum :D . I know harsh but the price difference really pissed me off. And now trucks are flying across the border the other way.
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
10737 posts
2089 upvotes
Kingston
(like me)

There was recently a successful class action lawsuit about vehicles having excessive oil consumption (we've had this in both our 2013 Outback and Legacy).

Here is the webpage about it: http://www.girardgibbs.com/subaru-oil-c ... n-lawsuit/

These are the affected vehicles:

Automatic / CVT Transmission:
2011-14 Forester (below VIN *529004)
2012-13 Impreza 4-Door (below VIN *033336)
2012-13 Impreza 5-Door Wagon (below VIN *886714)
2013 Crosstrek (below VIN *856139)
2013 Legacy (below VIN *048086)
2013 Outback (below VIN *321435)

Manual Transmission:
2011-15 Forester (below VIN *543650 )
2012-15 Impreza (below VIN *270253)
2013-15 Crosstrek (below VIN *270284)
2013-14 Legacy (all)
2013-14 Outback (all)

What Does the Settlement Provide?

Full details about the settlement will be provided in the class notice, which will be sent out by mail and also posted here once it is finalized. Among other things, the settlement provides:
  • Warranty extension – Repairs by an authorized Subaru retailer needed to correct excessive oil consumption will now fall within warranty for 8 years and 100,000 miles (whichever comes first).
  • Cash reimbursements – Payments will be made to those who paid for (1) costs associated with an oil consumption test, and (2) oil consumption repairs set out in Subaru’s service bulletins.
  • Reimbursement for Engine Oil – Payments will be made for those who presented their vehicle to an authorized Subaru retailer and complained of excessive oil consumption – limit of six quarts.
  • Reimbursement for Rental Vehicles and Towing – In certain circumstances, rental and towing costs may be reimbursed.
I'm working on finding out more. Apparently notices will be sent out in the next few weeks so make sure your contact info with Subaru of America is up to date. Call 1-800-SUBARU-3.

Will keep the thread posted as I learn more.

Not sure how or if Canadian purchased Subarus are affected (obviously made in the same factories so they'd have he same issue but at this point Subaru of Canada hasn't been sued so who knows what they'll do).
Mar 20, 2016
2 posts
Looking for information regarding private used car sales and the importation process.

I am from Toronto looking to fly down to Florida for a week for vacation and perhaps purchase a car and drive it home.

I understand the importation process for the most part however I have seen very little information or details regarding title transfer within the states from a US citizen to Canada. Most information online is regarding dealer purchases but I was wondering how the title transfer paperwork is handled with private sales.

I had a few questions, is the title transfer for a private sale in the states (Florida in my case) as it would be in Ontario? Seller signs registration (title) buyer signs, odometer reading, bill of sale then off to ministry to get new registration?

1. Do I need an American address? or will the Florida DMV do the title transfer and recognize my Canadian address?
2. Does the Florida DMV give me the new title in my name on the spot like the Ontario Ministry? or is there a wait period or gets mailed to me (VERY important as I only plan to spend a week in Florida)
3. After title transfer would I be able to get a temporary in-transit permit if I prepurchased insurance?

If anyone has any information it would be highly appreciated. Thanks!
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2007
1768 posts
87 upvotes
Mississauga
Based solely on my own experience:
1. Do I need an American address? or will the Florida DMV do the title transfer and recognize my Canadian address?
You do not need an American address to purchase a vehicle for export.
2. Does the Florida DMV give me the new title in my name on the spot like the Ontario Ministry? or is there a wait period or gets mailed to me (VERY important as I only plan to spend a week in Florida)
DMV will provide a title with your name on it. Seller has to be present during this process.
3. After title transfer would I be able to get a temporary in-transit permit if I prepurchased insurance?
You do not require an insurance to get temporary plates in USA.
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
10737 posts
2089 upvotes
Kingston
koleso wrote:
Mar 21st, 2016 11:42 am
Pringlesprangles wrote:
Mar 21st, 2016 11:01 pm
^Thanks alot koleso

Looks like that part of the export/import process is pretty straight forward.

But do want to have insurance as you drive back from Florida whether the law requires it or not.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2004
4404 posts
637 upvotes
Ottawa
koleso wrote:
Mar 21st, 2016 11:42 am
Based solely on my own experience:

You do not need an American address to purchase a vehicle for export.
DMV will provide a title with your name on it. Seller has to be present during this process.

Just wanted to elaborate a bit on the answers provided but it's important to realize that when dealing with DMV, many states set their own rules so you need to confirm with the DMV in the state you are buying.

For Florida, if you are buying for export you do not need an american address.

Florida DMV will not supply you with a title with your name on it unless you are registering the vehicle in Florida - you would simply get the title the vendor is transferring to your name (much like in most provinces in Canada). You use this title when importing and registering in your home province. If you are registering in Florida, you need a FL address AND you need FL issued insurance and then you will get a title on the spot.

Unless I'm mistaken, to get a temporary plate in Florida, you need to pay FL state (and possibly county) tax. To get out of paying the tax, you need to have the vehicle shipped outside Florida. If you do get it shipped outside FL, I'm not sure if you would be able to get a temporary permit from another state (most states typically only issue temp permits if you are buying in that state or registering in that state).
Oct 21, 2003
808 posts
63 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone have any experience in importing a BMW from the USA? Are there any broker services that help you handle the entire import procedure?

Thanks in advance.