Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
6712 posts
624 upvotes
TO
Yep Vanbortel the popular dealership for Suby was discussed so many times here. Wow its been that long.
Achieva Financial /KOHO / STACK (0% FX Fee) /Tangerine / EQ Bank member / I use Plastiq for paying bills with my CC ;)

"You can’t soar with the eagles if you’re hanging with the turkeys.”Gary Kent
Sep 7, 2009
236 posts
34 upvotes
can2000 wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2019 7:56 am
About 10 years ago, almost everyone in this thread talked about importing Subaru (outback and Tribeca) from the States. I myself imported one as well.
Any car is importable, so long as it meets the requirements spelled out by RIV. I have imported 2 Volvos and a GMC Yukon in the last decade.

So long as legal requirements are met (which most cars do), the determining factor for consumers was the warranty. Volvo had no limitations (a factor a time of purchase), so I could make a warranty claim immediately. My father-in-law had to wait 20K for a fabricated (non-Canadian) warranty term on his GMC. Some manufacturers purposely block cross-border warranties. I cannot speak to Subaru.

Summary is that any vehicle from any manufacturer is admissible as long as they meet legal requirements. Whether or not the manufacturer wants to block/void/delay warranty is their call.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2004
4818 posts
922 upvotes
Ottawa
phlegm2 wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2019 7:48 am

Any car that meets Canadian safety standards is importable to Canada, which was always the case. Given they are manufactured to North American standards, there is typically little to no modification required.

I do not believe this statement is correct. IMO, it's more accurate to say that any car that the manufacturer tells RIV that it meets Canadian safety standards (or any car that is 15 years or older) is admissible.

E.g. other than original Roadsters, no US Tesla's are admissible into Canada. I strongly believe that the cars already met or can be made to meet Canadian safety standards with minimal changes (after all, they do sell them in Canada and I do not believe they need significant modifications) but Tesla has chosen to have them listed as inadmissible (I believe if you look back at older RIV lists, the Model S was briefly listed as admissible and then was removed).

Another example is that years ago (it might have changed since), the only way to import a US Lotus Elise was to go though a specific Montreal dealer (I forget the name - Spinellas or something like that). Was that a super qualified dealership with magical abilities and that no other mechanic in Canada was able to do what they could? I think it's more likely that they convinced Lotus that they would have exclusive rights in Canada so Lotus told RIV that imports had to go through them.
Sep 7, 2009
236 posts
34 upvotes
michelb wrote:
Apr 26th, 2019 7:50 am
I do not believe this statement is correct. IMO, it's more accurate to say that any car that the manufacturer tells RIV that it meets Canadian safety standards (or any car that is 15 years or older) is admissible.

E.g. other than original Roadsters, no US Tesla's are admissible into Canada. I strongly believe that the cars already met or can be made to meet Canadian safety standards with minimal changes (after all, they do sell them in Canada and I do not believe they need significant modifications) but Tesla has chosen to have them listed as inadmissible (I believe if you look back at older RIV lists, the Model S was briefly listed as admissible and then was removed).

Another example is that years ago (it might have changed since), the only way to import a US Lotus Elise was to go though a specific Montreal dealer (I forget the name - Spinellas or something like that). Was that a super qualified dealership with magical abilities and that no other mechanic in Canada was able to do what they could? I think it's more likely that they convinced Lotus that they would have exclusive rights in Canada so Lotus told RIV that imports had to go through them.
Not sure I take your points. You're saying that:

(1) RIV, and or manufacturers are conspiring at the core legal level to prevent US-CA imports (especially in a CA exchange deficit era, like now)
(2) A particular dealer has a "connection", bypassing a federally-endorsed agency