Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
5055 posts
1112 upvotes
Ottawa
pJohannson wrote: Makes sense, thanks. Will search further, never been great at RFD searching.
On the NY - from what I can see typically dealers would give the temp plates or ex-owners help with that (there's form to obtain transit pemits, but it doesn't say anything about out of country case)
I am on hold with NY DMV for second hour already, already got some help here faster :-D
Let us know if you what you found out about NY State temp / in-transit permit.

In case anyone is interested, I did confirm that to get a FL temp permit, you MUST pay FL tax.
Apr 5, 2018
31 posts
4 upvotes
michelb wrote: Let us know if you what you found out about NY State temp / in-transit permit.

In case anyone is interested, I did confirm that to get a FL temp permit, you MUST pay FL tax.
So far I've found that MI dealer will give temp plate without issues ( also considering MI due to proximity)
For NY - another dealer in Buffalo area said they will give me temp plates and surely no sales tax, but both were phone conversations. I may go there next week, but there's good chance that I'll buy the car in Canada :)
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2005
1413 posts
744 upvotes
Interesting thread

A temporary plate can be obtained to drive vehicle for limited time

ON rules state 10 days while waiting checks ($15)
https://www.ontario.ca/page/temporary-l ... te-sticker

NY allows 30 days for temporary permit to leave NY state (interstate permit) ($12.50) <- since valid 30 days I think better deal than the ON one
https://dmv.ny.gov/registration/how-get ... istrations

But in either case I would assume most dealers are willing to do this at time of sale (unless you bought a used car private)

You then need temporary insurance, notify US border 72 hours before leaving, Recall Clearance (from manufacturer to RIV), Canada border vehicle import form (plus our lovely taxes of course), complete modifications (odo, DRLs are most common) within 45 days and the RIV Inspection Form to get licensed
Koodo $40 Canada Wide + 8GB + 1000 Intl LD
Public $120 Province Wide + 12GB - $6 Autopay - $12 Loyalty - $45 Refer = $19 per Month
Freedom $35 ($37-BTS) North America Wide + 8GB + 1GB Roaming
May 29, 2017
167 posts
46 upvotes
Canada
New to the thread, I thought that we can only buy used or marked as used vehicles from USA...to import into Canada....as dealers are not willing to sell to Canadians due to restrictions imposed by the manufacturers.....

What vehicles are cheaper today given the 30% exchange rate difference?
Catch me on my Discord Channel, we discuss all the phones and plans!: p7KUUmd