Ongoing Deal Discussion

Always

WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2005
2185 posts
363 upvotes
Canada
If its a DAIMLER CHRYSLER product no recall letter needed , just make sure there are no outstanding recalls. You can go to there website and run the vin to see.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2005
3247 posts
1807 upvotes
Kamloops wrote: If its a DAIMLER CHRYSLER product no recall letter needed , just make sure there are no outstanding recalls. You can go to there website and run the vin to see.

It clearly states that a Recall Letter is necessary for them to release the Inspection Form. Why would Daimler Chrysler be any different from any other car manufacturer in obtaining a Recall Letter?

From the RIV:

Special Attention: The Registrar of Imported Vehicles makes every effort to assist the importer with importation process. Recall clearance however is the responsibility of the importer. As a result we are unable to release the Inspection Form until such time as we receive a confirmation that there are no Outstanding recalls for your vehicle.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2005
2185 posts
363 upvotes
Canada
yyz2hkg wrote: It clearly states that a Recall Letter is necessary for them to release the Inspection Form. Why would Daimler Chrysler be any different from any other car manufacturer in obtaining a Recall Letter?

From the RIV:

Special Attention: The Registrar of Imported Vehicles makes every effort to assist the importer with importation process. Recall clearance however is the responsibility of the importer. As a result we are unable to release the Inspection Form until such time as we receive a confirmation that there are no Outstanding recalls for your vehicle.
Because Daimler Chrysler has made the information avail on the website. Call RIV if you dont believe. You cant even get a recall letter from them. RIV just runs the VIN on Daimler Chrysler's website.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2005
3247 posts
1807 upvotes
Kamloops wrote: Because Daimler Chrysler has made the information avail on the website. Call RIV if you dont believe. You cant even get a recall letter from them. RIV just runs the VIN on Daimler Chrysler's website.
Don't get me wrong...I'm not doubting you, it just seems that the RIV stresses so much on the Recall Letter that it contradicts what they state on their website. While others are calling all over the place to find corporate HQ regarding Recall letters with Company Logos/letterheads, Daimler Chrysler's recall letter is just a click away.
Aug 4, 2007
8 posts
Which car (any make + model) provides the greatest savings when importing to Canada, while giving full warranty coverage?

Thanks.
-v
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2003
6818 posts
567 upvotes
v452 wrote: Which car (any make + model) provides the greatest savings when importing to Canada, while giving full warranty coverage?

Thanks.
-v
Dollar wise I believe it would be Porsche
Dec 10, 2003
102 posts
15 upvotes
v452 wrote: Which car (any make + model) provides the greatest savings when importing to Canada, while giving full warranty coverage?

Thanks.
-v
Any Subaru Outback and Tribeca
Deal Fanatic
Dec 31, 2001
8234 posts
627 upvotes
Toronto
Nice summary for those who do not want to read the 3445+ posts here.
Thanks.
Shaun091382 wrote: The process would be much easier I assume when dealing with a dealer as they would have a better idea the process to sell to a Canadian for export. But if you buy from a private seller do they simply mark down your canadian address on their bill of sale or ownership piece?

The way I have the information lined up right now is the following if someone see's a flaw in these steps could someone please give me opinion on the steps.

Let's say for example I want to import a vehicle from the U.S to Canada and it is say located in the state of Illinois, Ohio, or Pennsylvania from a private seller these are the steps to follow:

1. Pay the seller the funds for purchase

2. Obtain recall letter from vehicle manufacturer dealership.

3. Obtain Temp plates from state of purchase

4. Call your insurance company to put vehicle on insurance policy

4. Make sure paperwork i.e. bill of sale, ownership, recall letter are received at U.S. customs office 72 hrs prior to showing up with vehicle

5. Arrive at Canada Customs office and show supporting paperwork to complete form 1

6. Pay RIV (and A/C excise tax) fees and 6% GST tax

7. Contact RIV and have form 2 sent electronically (to conserve time)

8. Take vehicle to Canadian Tire to complete inspection to have modifications made for form 2 completion, also complete inspection for Canadian Safety certificate (and emissions testing if applicable to area)

9. Take form1, form2, proof of insurance, ownership, bill of sale and canadian safety certificate to local licensing office and pay 8% PST tax.

10. Your ready to drive

I'm hoping someone can shed more light through their own personal experience of paying state taxes. There are soo many state taxes and rules per state it's hard to decipher IF a Canadian has to pay upfront or at the border state tax...I'm using the Michigan rule for example stating you have to pay their's.

More input would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Shaun
Dec 27, 2004
190 posts
4 upvotes
No problem consumer PI. Did I miss anything or anything incorrect? I am curious to know if you imported a vehicle and had to deal with U.S. state tax? anything to watch out for?
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2001
4799 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
yyz2hkg wrote: We should hold a RFD SUCCESSFULLY IMPORTED VEHICLE MEET... :lol: ...that includes motorhomes too.
I'm in, where should we meet. Preferably somewhere in the GTA.

Please PM your request to yyz2hkg, so we can avoid letting all the CAD dealers know where we will meet.
Mark77 wrote: That's not very nice....and you're missing out on a lot of valuable knowledge if you ignore me. Your loss.
Aug 4, 2007
8 posts
On top of the MSRP price, what taxes apply to Canadians importing a vehicle in the United States?

Thanks again.
-v
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1475 posts
181 upvotes
Mississauga
whampoa wrote: I'm in, where should we meet. Preferably somewhere in the GTA.

Please PM your request to yyz2hkg, so we can avoid letting all the CAD dealers know where we will meet.
I think Cad dealers would be too embarassed to attend, even if we invite them. :cheesygri
Aug 4, 2007
8 posts
If a Subaru is purchased in the United States, is the warranty coverage recognized in Canada?

Thanks.
-v
Jul 19, 2007
35 posts
v452 wrote: If a Subaru is purchased in the United States, is the warranty coverage recognized in Canada?

Thanks.
-v
2007 and older Subaru's purchased in the US by Canadian buyers and immediately exported to Canada have full, normal, warranty coverage. 2008 and newer models will require you to do one of two things. You can either pay for the repairs and submit a claim to Subaru of America or you can bring your car to a US dealer.

And, if anyone is up for a meet near the WNY or TO area, count me in! Would be great to see some of my customers again.
Karl Lindemuth
Internet Sales Manager
Van Bortel Subaru
http://www.buildyourownsubaru.com
800.724.8872 toll free
585.415.8785 cell
Jul 26, 2007
2 posts
In your experience buying from a dealer, where was the original title kept : at the dealership, dealer's bank or local DMV?

Thank you in advance.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2006
2992 posts
1952 upvotes
W[QUOTE]as thinking of importing a used 2007 Acura TL, but neither Acura US or Canada will provide a warranty. I tried calling one extended warranty company but they won't warranty a car not under the manufactures initial warranty period.

Has anyone looked into extended warranty companies that will provide warranties to Canadians on new/used cars that are relatively new, but no longer under the manufactures warranty?

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Try the following:

http://www.securewarranty.ca/drive.html (call and ask for a dealer in your area)

warrentydirect.com was dealing in Canada but has stopped.

[QUOTE]Due to credit card processing issues, we have temporarily suspended sales in Canada. We appreciate your patience as we wade through this process and thank you for your interest in Warranty Direct. [/QUOTE]
Nov 25, 2002
308 posts
104 upvotes
Vancouver
Just curious, is it worth the trouble for econ-cars like Civics, Corollas and Yaris's?

I know it pays to go through the hassle for higher end cars but how about budget low end base models.
Jun 28, 2007
126 posts
13 upvotes
ExcitedCanuck wrote: In your experience buying from a dealer, where was the original title kept : at the dealership, dealer's bank or local DMV?

Thank you in advance.

The dealer has the Certificate of Origin. It comes with the vehicle, from the factory. It's a double-sided 8 1/2 x 11 inch page.

When I bought my Sienna, they had a notary public in their office, and the Certificate was signed over to me. Had to get it stamped for the US export process. MTO took it when I registered the van in Ontario. In return, I got the Ontario ownership slip (they also charged me a few dollars -- PST, license, etc.). ;)
Jan 10, 2007
152 posts
28 upvotes
If the timing works for me - count me in too. GTA would be best - why not somewhere in the city, how about High Park?

PM sent to yy2hkg.
whampoa wrote: I'm in, where should we meet. Preferably somewhere in the GTA.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)