Ongoing Deal Discussion

Always

WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Banned
Oct 24, 2004
589 posts
14 upvotes
Can I import new car under my and my wife's name together? I want title to say my name, my wife name. But my wife will not be present at the border. Anyone done that?
Jul 13, 2007
164 posts
73 upvotes
I noticed a couple of ads in this week's "Auto" section. One for $2,000 worth of accessories or gas with the purchase of a Subaru Outback, which sounded unsually generous and another ad from a Florida based used luxury dealer,http://www.chariotsofpb.com. Their ad includes "...experts in the exportation of vehicules from the U.S. to Canada". A quick look at their site yields a range of BMW, Porche, MB and more exotic makes. I'm picking up my Subie next week otherwise I'd be very tempted by one of their listings, an '06 Volvo S60 R with less than 5,000 miles for $32,000; this was the 300hp beauty that was around $60,000 new in Canada.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1356 posts
220 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
eastsidesubaru wrote: More than that, I think you need an FAQ....
I'm trying to think what questions I see getting asked here over and over.
I would say Insurance, Warranty and Border crossing/Recall clearance letter/MSO stuff, as well as Which dealers will sell what brands and to whom...
Make sure that goes in the wiki/FAQ...
I like your thinking.

Personally I would avoid a WIKI since it's open to everyone and you know the dealers will be adding their mis-information.

If the RFD moderators wants to set up a locked FAQ area within this site, I would be happy to contribute. Perhaps we can split the task among a few of us.

Give me access and I'll start the process...

Folks can contribute what models come across easily, what dealers sell to who, what we know about warranties.

We can add the names of the Super Saver members so if anyone had particular questions about importing a specific model, the reader would know who to PM.

We can start by including the FAQ on page 1 that was compiled by Michelb and myself.
I've been on RFDs for over a decade. My award-winning thread from 2006 is still going strong and one of the most popular on this site!
Jul 23, 2003
829 posts
4 upvotes
Lindsay
I just got an email from Chev dealer advertising new corvette coupes at $7,000 off!! That would make a base C6 38,075......wow..I am rethinking my thoughts on buying a 350Z......list in Canada on a base vette is $68,495.......... :cheesygri :cheesygri
RFD importer of 2007 Nissan Maxima..savings of 14k
Oct 20, 2004
241 posts
28 upvotes
Kitchener
Rehan wrote: Just as a reminder... Although you may be saving $10k-ish on the purchase of the new vehicle, some of those savings will be wiped out when it comes time to sell the car -- US model cars typically sell for less in Canada than their Canadian counterparts. I was browsing Toyota Siennas on trader.ca, and there's a 2006 Sienna LE listed for several thousand less than other '06 Sienna LE's and even less than some CE's.

(There's a thread here about the reasons why US cars sell for less...)
So in about 12+ years when the wrecking yard comes to tow away my Sienna i'm only going to get $190 instead of $200. Wow I guess I should have bought in Canada. Oh wait the interest that I got on the $10000 I saved is just going to be a bit more than the $10 less the wrecking yard will give me.
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2002
4954 posts
67 upvotes
Long shot question..... Has anyone been able to get a "do not sell to Canadians" dealer to sell to them if they have a US work visa (ie. L1B)?
Oct 20, 2004
241 posts
28 upvotes
Kitchener
Kwik-E-Mart wrote: Somebody needs to know the background to this DesRosiers person.

Who did he work for in the past?

Where are the sources of contribution coming from towards his research?
He is a lap dog of the Canadian automobile manufacturers. Whatever his masters tell him to say he says. The only thing that you're going to get out of his mouth is verbal diarrhea.
Jul 23, 2003
829 posts
4 upvotes
Lindsay
I am looking for the name of a Chevrolet dealer who will sell to canada...Please advise!
RFD importer of 2007 Nissan Maxima..savings of 14k
Oct 20, 2004
241 posts
28 upvotes
Kitchener
warpdryv wrote:
DesRosiers Automotive Consultants Inc
Dennis DesRosiers
President
dennis@desrosiers.ca
80 Fulton Way Suite 101
Richmond Hill, Ontario
L4B 1J5
tel: 1-905-881-0400 - 13
fax: 1-905-881-7456
mobile: 1-416-543-8611
www.desrosiers.ca
Since he has so generously provided his cell number I think that everyone should give him a call and tell him what they think of his BS.
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2004
1301 posts
357 upvotes
Montreal
HighFlyer wrote: Long shot question..... Has anyone been able to get a "do not sell to Canadians" dealer to sell to them if they have a US work visa (ie. L1B)?
The rule is not "do not sell to Canadians" but rather "do not sell for export to Canada". If you are a Canadian with a US address, they can sell to you. It`s not based on nationality.
Feb 22, 2006
234 posts
7 upvotes
The story is abount a lag in prices in Canada and U.S. but for some reason when they did an example of a vehicle they selected two used Toyota's and arrived at a lower prices for them in Canada then in the U.S.

It is interesting that they selected used and Toyota. I recently purchased new Toyota Sienna with conservative savings of about $8,000. Why they chose a used Toyota from one dealer when they did not choose used products for any other example of prices in Canada and U.S.. I wonder if there was some corporate (Toyota) input into this story.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2003
5265 posts
1623 upvotes
SK
HotDeal wrote: The story is abount a lag in prices in Canada and U.S. but for some reason when they did an example of a vehicle they selected two used Toyota's and arrived at a lower prices for them in Canada then in the U.S.

It is interesting that they selected used and Toyota. I recently purchased new Toyota Sienna with conservative savings of about $8,000. Why they chose a used Toyota from one dealer when they did not choose used products for any other example of prices in Canada and U.S.. I wonder if there was some corporate (Toyota) input into this story.
All for-profit news outlets are biased. It's all about advertising dollars. Newspapers layout the advertising first then fill in the leftover space, called "News Holes" with articles.

They need the ad dollars to generate revenues and will resort to articles like these to keep their advertisers happy, not their customers.

If you think/know you can save X thousands of dollars, do it. We did and even though it's not here yet, I'm sure will be happier that we can enjoy a better quality vehicle for a lot less money.
shopper-X
Jul 26, 2007
82 posts
In case anyone finds this helpful, I am dealing with Manchester Subaru in Manchester, New Hampshire. Alexander(He goes by the abbreviation "Xan" pronounced San) Peterson has given me what I feel is a super deal.I didn't even try to beat him down.He just came up with something I felt to be very fair. :) If there are any Eastern (Maritime) Canadian prospective buyers of U.S. vehicles out there you may want to Google their website. They have a very good inventory, lots of selection both new & used.They have given me the best price, including accessories of any that I have seen on RFD as well as any that I rec'd from other dealers.One thing that some Maine dealers wanted to charge is a $249.00 Documentation Fee along with saying I "may" be responsible for state taxes as well. That kinda raised a warning sign right there. If anyone wants to know the final deal, you can pm me.
Sep 21, 2007
16 posts
Montreal
Hi,

I am looking to import a Meercedes 2008 ML320 CDI from the USA.

The question I have for the RFD experts is the following:

Since it is not considered as a passenger vehicle, is it posible to import a Mercedes ML SUV? Will I keep the warranty?

Thanks for your help.
Sep 10, 2006
181 posts
6 upvotes
hugedrive wrote: Hi,

I am looking to import a Meercedes 2008 ML320 CDI from the USA.

The question I have for the RFD experts is the following:

Since it is not considered as a passenger vehicle, is it posible to import a Mercedes ML SUV? Will I keep the warranty?

Thanks for your help.
Forget the Mercedes SUV man, it 's inadmissible. You need to export this SUV back to US.

Check section 5 of :
http://www.riv.ca/english/US_vehicle_admissibility.pdf

All others SUV but Mercedes-Benz.
Nov 26, 2003
162 posts
32 upvotes
Actually, both you guys need to read section 5 more carefully :)

1) it does indeed apply to SUV's/minivans/etc.
2) Despite it having Mercedes under the admissible column, the explanations are that you need to contact Mercedes Canada directly to determine if its admissible or not..
hskhan wrote: Wrong. Section 5 is for motor homes and modified vehicles (van campers etc). Section 2 (General) is the appropriate section for a Mercedes ML.
Oct 20, 2004
241 posts
28 upvotes
Kitchener
Everyone that has imported from the US tell your friends about the savings and how easy it is to do. Don't let the biased news media spread their propaganda without being challenged.

Although I have only imported one car/van myself I know that I am directly responsible for two other people importing trucks because I did it. These are friends that I know did it because of myself and my experiences. Total savings on the three vehicles is at least $45000. I know that there are probably others that I have indirectly helped because of postings and PMs that I have received.

SPREAD THE WORD AND HELP A FRIEND SAVE A TON OF MONEY.
Sep 4, 2006
48 posts
2 upvotes
What about buying a vehicle to resell in canada? Is the warranty transferable to the next person? Or does it stop there as it is then used?
I work in the states so would have opportunity to do this about 4 times per year...
S.

Thread Information

There are currently 4 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 4 guests)