Ongoing Deal Discussion

Always

WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Oct 15, 2007
120 posts
2 upvotes
wally_walrus wrote: I've read almost all 5000+ postings in this thread and I think it's an amazing way to educate ourselves and become aware of the gouging that's currently happening in Canada. I agree with previous posters that we should not expect miraculous results from finance minister next week's meeting with the retailers. The ONLY way to help align the prices is by putting pressure on the manufacturers / importes. I think right now the weakest link is Subaru Canada, and here is why:

- they don't have any manufacturing facility in Canada, so can't claim "higher cost of doing business up here"
- because of the above they can't even pressure SoA too much into restricting Canadians to import
- the savings are higher on Subarus than other cars

Here's the idea: everybody considering (even if not in the near future) to buy a new car, to write to Subaru Canada and ask why their prices are so much higher, and if there is anything they can do to align them to prices in the US. In case this won't happen let them know you'll buy your car in the US, and advice people you know do the same. I think if enough people do this they'll eventually give up. This is the crack in the system we're all expecting, I am sure if this happens all manufacturers will follow.

What you all guys think?
I like the targetted rolling blackout strategy.. I think the Subaru (the corp) is sacrificing the Canadian Distributorship as we speak, and have allowed the US Distributor to do what they are actually doing to put the pressure on Subaru Canada. My local dealer (whom I've made peace with for my US Purchase) pays about $9,000 more for the same vehicle than the US Distributor. The local dealer is in constant dialog with Subaru Canada, who seem to be running in circles with the pressure. Personally, I'm glad I bought in the US just for the Lemon Law Protection peace of mind. Miles ahead of Canada.

You have to crack one of the big ones. The Subaru (Corp) approach must be working for them as half the new units crossing are Subaru. They have to be getting good market share out of this. I would rather have Honda or Toyota (Canada) sit up and be forced to take notice, but that's just my personal take on things.
Oct 15, 2007
120 posts
2 upvotes
WantaCar wrote: I thought this was amusing.

In order to get a Canadian safety certificate for your new purchase, you'll need to ensure it has daytime running lights and a kilometre display on the speedometer. Neither is available on U.S.-made vehicles.

-- Source: CarCostCanada and Volvo Winnipeg

The full article is at

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/subscr ... 5052c.html
Ah... the ministry of confusion is gearing up.. And the typical wooden headed reporter sucks it up and spits it out, spinning the story for the Man.

It's good to see that kind of fear mongering popping up.. means "they" are running a bit scared, I'd say.. The speedometer is a non issue.. CT will actually give you free stickers to conform if you only have MPH.. they make it a big deal? lol.
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2007
2310 posts
1655 upvotes
45.467253°N, 75.5123…
Lost Horizon wrote: I like the targetted rolling blackout strategy.. I think the Subaru (the corp) is sacrificing the Canadian Distributorship as we speak, and have allowed the US Distributor to do what they are actually doing to put the pressure on Subaru Canada. My local dealer (whom I've made peace with for my US Purchase) pays about $9,000 more for the same vehicle than the US Distributor. The local dealer is in constant dialog with Subaru Canada, who seem to be running in circles with the pressure. Personally, I'm glad I bought in the US just for the Lemon Law Protection peace of mind. Miles ahead of Canada.

You have to crack one of the big ones. The Subaru (Corp) approach must be working for them as half the new units crossing are Subaru. They have to be getting good market share out of this. I would rather have Honda or Toyota (Canada) sit up and be forced to take notice, but that's just my personal take on things.

Agree about having to crack one of the big ones first, but since we can't cause a big crack in one hit, let's try a small one and keep hitting. They have deep pockets and won't crack easily. Having Subaru Canada align prices will put much higher pressure than we can.
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2001
4799 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
WantaCar wrote: I thought this was amusing.

In order to get a Canadian safety certificate for your new purchase, you'll need to ensure it has daytime running lights and a kilometre display on the speedometer. Neither is available on U.S.-made vehicles.

-- Source: CarCostCanada and Volvo Winnipeg

The full article is at

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/subscr ... 5052c.html
Are you sure about that?

Is that why you're being stop in the Expressway every time you drive pass 100?

I guess that little digit 160 at the bottom don't mean much! ;)
Mark77 wrote: That's not very nice....and you're missing out on a lot of valuable knowledge if you ignore me. Your loss.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2006
1001 posts
2 upvotes
whampoa wrote: Are you sure about that?
It aint amusing. It's true, you have to have a km display.

But then...all American cars have a km display. Right under the miles ;) .
Aug 2, 2006
156 posts
4 upvotes
Does anyone know the actual restrictions automakers have been placing on US dealerships (aside from Subaru)?

Are the restrictions based on all exports or is it specifically a Canadian thing? Would it make any difference if the buyer is a US citizen but being exported to Canada?

If the buyer is a US citizen what would stop him/her from buying the vehicle at a US dealership for cash, financing or otherwise and simply driving it across the border (with all the correct paperwork, naturally)
Sep 9, 2007
1 posts
Has anyone crossed at the Eastport, Id crossing? If so could you provide any info you have for it?
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1326 upvotes
Sauga
trenton1776 wrote: Would it make any difference if the buyer is a US citizen but being exported to Canada?
No, the restrictions are based on residency rather than citizenship. In other words, a US citizen living in Canada would face the same restrictions as a Canadian citizen+resident. The dealerships aren't going to check your passport (for your citizenship)...but they might check your driver's license (for your residence).
May 2, 2007
44 posts
I noticed today that a Westminster Volkswagen is advertising their US Price Adjustment sale this weekend only. Their website shows this pricing on two models -- a 2008 Jetta and 2007 Passat.

2008 Jetta 2.5L
US Price: $23,632
Their Price: $21,732
Automatic/Air Conditioning/Keyless Entry/Heated Seats/Power Group/Comfortline Package/16" Alloy Wheels

2007 Passat 2.0T
US Price: $29,762
Their Price: $28,792
200HP/Power Group/Sunroof/Alloy Wheels/Climate Control/Keyless Entry/6 speed Automatic/A/C with climate control/Comfortline Package/Keyless Entry/16" Alloy Wheels/Heated Seats/Power Group/8 Air Bags

I also got a call from Open Road Lexus in Port Moody, BC. I had requested a brochure from them, and they called to ask if I was interested to come in for a test drive. When I told the salesman that I was going to buy a Lexus through a broker in the US, he told me to give him the price I'd pay through the broker, and he'd do his best to give me a deal. I'm not sure how good the deal would be, but I think it's encouraging that he would say that.

The dealerships are feeling the pressure. We need to flat out tell them that current Canadian pricing is not acceptable and that it needs to fall in line with US pricing, or we're not buying.
Sep 17, 2005
93 posts
ryandk wrote: I also got a call from Open Road Lexus in Port Moody, BC. I had requested a brochure from them, and they called to ask if I was interested to come in for a test drive. When I told the salesman that I was going to buy a Lexus through a broker in the US, he told me to give him the price I'd pay through the broker, and he'd do his best to give me a deal. I'm not sure how good the deal would be, but I think it's encouraging that he would say that.

The dealerships are feeling the pressure. We need to flat out tell them that current Canadian pricing is not acceptable and that it needs to fall in line with US pricing, or we're not buying.
Please do tell what happen with the Lexus dealership. Which model are you buying?
May 22, 2007
53 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver
Symcrapico wrote: Hey,

Ive been driving my 2008 Legacy 2.5GT for 2 weeks now and last wednesday, a 8" crack appeared in the windshield. I went to the winsheild repair shop, and the guy told me that the windshield was placed to tight in place. So I called SoA and the lady gently told me to go to a canadian Subaru dealer to get it fix and pay for the repair and then send the invoice to SoA.

So next tuesday, im going to my dealer to get my windshield replace "under waranty".

I'll keep you guys informed on how fast I get my money back from SoA.

In the mean time, Ive started looking for winter tires and ive realized that I cant just use regular wheels. They also need to have the TPMS. Anyone with the TPMS has changed his tires yet?

Cheers

Sympa
Hi Sympa

Wow, sounds like everything will work out. I've never heard of a windshield that's been put on too tight. Yes, definitely let us know how long it takes for SoA to reimburse you.

Thanks!
Oct 4, 2007
36 posts
Georgian wrote: A Canadian couple to fight US car dealership discrimination

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/s ... TopStories
I think there are now THREE laws in play:

1) The one that allows Companies to set up and
protect their territories

AND

2) Companies are not allowed to violate the Cdn
Competition Act (= Sherman Act in USA), with
CRIMINAL penalties and possible JAIL time
after a CONVICTION.

AND

3) Companies are NOT allowed to discriminate
against certain customers.

Remember , companies are expected to abide by ALL
the LAWS of the land, not just the one that best suits
them today !

I think the only Jobs currently at risk are the corporate
lawyers and PR hacks that have given these firms
such BAD advice ! They should be replaced with
Criminal Defense lawyers and "PR crisis management"
teams ASAP !

As always, my personal opinions are my own and do not necessarily represent those of any group,
company, etc. You should do your own research first before coming
to your own opinions and conclusions.
Aug 2, 2006
156 posts
4 upvotes
Rehan wrote: No, the restrictions are based on residency rather than citizenship. In other words, a US citizen living in Canada would face the same restrictions as a Canadian citizen+resident. The dealerships aren't going to check your passport (for your citizenship)...but they might check your driver's license (for your residence).
So if I really wanted to push this through I could obtain a US license from a state by showing residency (as easy as any bill with your name and address). Then buy the car as if a standard US buyer. I take it this would mean registering with the local DMV and acquiring standard local insurance. Definitely a hassle, but just might be worth it.

I'm looking at the Honda Odyssey Touring which is $40KUS but almost $50K CDN. For $10K I'm willing to inconvenience myself.
Feb 26, 2003
632 posts
79 upvotes
[quote="Lost Horizon" post_id="5799544" time="1192935994" user_id="120910"]Dear Minister Flaherty

You might be interested to know, as an unsolicited bonus in taking that short drive across the line, the State of Washington really has my interest at heart, and have generously included ME (!)under their very effective Lemon Law for consumer protection, just as any other citizen of WA, something we don
Oct 4, 2007
36 posts
Georgian wrote: A Canadian couple to fight US car dealership discrimination

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/s ... TopStories
For those readers not fully aware, here is a direct quote from Section 15 of the Canadian Constitution:

" (1) Every individual is equal before and under the law and has the right to the equal protection and equal benefit of the law without discrimination and, in particular, without discrimination based on race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, sex, age or mental or physical disability."

So, in Canada, an American should be able to
walk into ANY store and be served as if he were
a Canadian. He may be required to use Cdn dollars
and the customer can't ask to buy a "baseball bat
so that he can go home and beat up his wife, etc",
but that is about it folks ....

*cough* I do believe that the US Constitution has
a similar section *cough*
(History buffs will remember that the Americans
fought a CIVIL WAR to achieve this AND I believe
the "Good Guys" won ! )

As always, my personal opinions are my own and do not necessarily represent those of any group,
Oct 20, 2007
1 posts
Whats a statement of compliance label? And where do you get one?
I have been talking with a dealer in Ohio and they have never heard of a statement of compliance label.

RIV.ca says I need one before import. Any ideas?
Jan 6, 2005
294 posts
254 upvotes
A quick question.

What is the advantage of going to the RIV office at Etobicoke in person?

I thought we pay RIV fee and GST at the border and then Canadian Customs will fax the FORM1 to RIV. I then will receive FORM2 by calling them a few days later after the import and they will email me the form or receive FORM2 via snailmail? So i don't understand why one will go to RIV office in person?

Hope someone can confirm my understanding is correct. Thx.

currently anxiously waiting my subaru to arrive....
Oct 4, 2007
36 posts
Rehan wrote: No, the restrictions are based on residency rather than citizenship. In other words, a US citizen living in Canada would face the same restrictions as a Canadian citizen+resident. The dealerships aren't going to check your passport (for your citizenship)...but they might check your driver's license (for your residence).
According to Car Company rules, the above could be true.

BUT,

According to the Canadian Constitution, I feel ALL forms
of discrimination are banned - there should be no advantage
to distinguishing between Cdn Citizenship and Cdn
Residence !

In the case of a conflict between Car Company
rules and our Constitution, which will
ultimately prevail ?

In the USA, the quote above may also be true,
at least according to Car company rules, but there
is now a Lawsuit in Maine which will clarify this issue.

Moral of this story - Just because the Car Company
rules say "XYZ" don't be lulled into the impression
that it is a valid and "Gospel" position !

Also, all you Cdns out there who have just bought
a US car should keep your records and receipts -
you may be able to join in the Maine Lawsuit once
in gets certified as "Class Action" !

In addition, all you Cdns who still want to buy in
Canada, at least contact a US dealer and obtain a
"Rejection letter" so that you too can join in a
future class action lawsuit in Maine. Your damage
claim may be the amount you COULD have saved
if you were able to buy a new US car !

Jan 21, 2007
44 posts
2 upvotes
GTA
ian46 wrote: For those readers not fully aware, here is a direct quote from Section 15 of the Canadian Constitution:

" (1) Every individual is equal before and under the law and has the right to the equal protection and equal benefit of the law without discrimination and, in particular, without discrimination based on race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, sex, age or mental or physical disability."

So, in Canada, an American should be able to
walk into ANY store and be served as if he were
a Canadian. He may be required to use Cdn dollars
and the customer can't ask to buy a "baseball bat
so that he can go home and beat up his wife, etc",
but that is about it folks ....

*cough* I do believe that the US Constitution has
a similar section *cough*
(History buffs will remember that the Americans
fought a CIVIL WAR to achieve this AND I believe
the "Good Guys" won ! )
Just to settle this, where you reside (i.e. your address) does not make you part of a protected group. Your national origin does.

National origin refers to where you born or where you came from, not your current address. In the US, retailers cannot refuse to service to US-residents of Canadian origin. However they are within their rights to discriminate based on your address and to deny service to any non-residents, including US citizens who are not currently living in the country (e.g. an American living in Canada).