Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Oct 14, 2007
109 posts
Pierrefonds, Quebec
diigii wrote:
Oct 30th, 2007 3:38 pm
CONGRATS to Cybermat, ymlccc, scrolllock! Enjoy your new cars!

Cybermat, you're welcome. I'm just doing my part and helping out because I was in the same situation as you guys before. I'm happy to return the favor. Monsieurmaggot deserves all the accolades. We should all get together soon.
I hope my input has helped to many of you. I wish I had know about this site and studied it prior to making my mistake with a 2008 Honda Civic. But I am going to keep on fighting and asking questions to Honda US and the RIV.

I know some of you are in the same boat as me and I know working together we might come up with a way to make Honda US file the right paperwork and let us get on with our lives. They have made certain that their dealerships no longer sell to Canadian re.. their memo of October 11th. The dealers are not taking back the cars.

Please pm me if you are in the same boat and want to discuss solutions. I have also created an email address inadmissibleautos@hotmail.com as well.

strength in numbers!
Standing Up for Consumers / Fair Automobile Pricing For Canadians
Please visit our site, sign our petition advocating Fair Pricing For Canadians, keep up with the latest import news, join our forum and team of members located all across Canada and 123 countries. All for free.
CarsWithoutBorders.com
http://www.carswithoutborders.com/CWBlogowithwords.jpg
Oct 5, 2005
699 posts
20 upvotes
propofol wrote:
Oct 30th, 2007 6:50 pm
Four questions:

1) Where do I get French air bag stickers that comply with the RIV guidelines?

2) Has anyone had any problems getting a Lexus-issued recall letters?

3) Does anyone know when Lexus will have its 2008 models on the RIV site?

4) I heard that the Lexus IS 250/ 350 need no modifications, except for the French stickers. Is this true?
Propofol, you must be an anaesthetist, because in your first and only post, you haven't written please or thanks. A resident wouldn't be that arrogant.
;)
Jul 26, 2007
82 posts
amherst, n.s.
jingyu wrote:
Oct 30th, 2007 1:00 pm
How did the border custom officer calculate your departure time? You can only buy up to $50 duty free stuff if you stay outside Canada more than 24 hrs. You have up tp 400 if more than 48 hrs. If you leave today pick up your car tomorrow and drive the car back then you have no duty free quota since you stay less than 24 hrs outside. Is my understanding wrong? Thanks.
We left Canada at 5:10pm Atlantic Time on Oct. 24, and returned to Canada at 5:30 pm Atlantic Time on Oct 27. Voila 72 hrs. 3 people @ $400 ea. =$1,200 tax friggin free dollar purchases in North Conway,New Hampshire. :D Ya, good thing we had 2 vehicles!We told the Border Customs Officer what date and time of day we entered the U.S. We had sales slips for munchies,pop,H2O newspapers, hotel accomodations, etc. etc.to prove our departure date. Besides, I have a very honest face!!!!! :twisted:
Jul 24, 2007
545 posts
1 upvote
I saw his report on CTV News at 6pm awhile ago. He detailed how much a used European car and a brand new North American-made SUV. In it, he calculated the 6.1% duty on the European car, A/C tax, taxes and RIV fee for both. But what sounded wrong and, misleading, is how he phrased the taxes as "costs" of importing. To a misinformed viewer, hearing what he said is indeed misleading! Those "costs" he highlighted are also paid for by a Canadian consumer buying a car here in Canada, with the taxes even higher than a car bought in the US.

You guys judge for yourselves. Watch the video on http://toronto.ctv.ca/
Oct 29, 2007
278 posts
17 upvotes
Is there anywhere to check whether there are people go by group to share the experience and expense?
Oct 15, 2007
120 posts
2 upvotes
diigii wrote:
Oct 30th, 2007 8:42 pm

Typical Reporter view.. mixing apples and oranges with comfortable confidence born out of broad based ignorance with an IQ near room temperature (in Celsius?) for anything remotely technical or financial ..

But look who the target viewer is.. the "average" Canadian Consumer... so maybe he's brilliant in insight.. and the rest of us are just nerds..
Oct 29, 2007
4 posts
Montreal
Hello all who have posted on this thread,

My appreciation to everyone, for all the information, insight and encouraging words. After reading almost all 500 pages of posts, I placed an order for a Lincoln MKZ this past Friday at a dealer in Vermont. Although they tried to maintain the MRSP on the deal, I negotiated what I believe was a fair deal versus the distance away from the border I was prepared to travel to get the right deal. I ordered the vehicle and will take delivery sometime in late Dec (although I will try to bring the car into Canada in the new year to take advantage of the reduced GST). I am also encouraged that the actual import process is not difficult and was pleased when I inquired with the Canadian border agent about where the office was for the transaction, she reminded me about the export requirements for the US border. BTW when I stopped at US customs to inquire about the submission of documents 72 hrs. inadvance, I was told they had to be delvered....by hand... no Fedex, UPS etc. Luckily its only an hour drive from Montreal.

Again, Thanks to all

PS I suggested to the dealer that they might become a "local" dealer for the Montreal area for those who wish to escape the non-competive practises here i.e. no Saturday opening, no online posting of inventories etc
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2007
2079 posts
545 upvotes
Edmonton
flaming homer wrote:
Oct 30th, 2007 1:45 pm
and the salesman claims they sell Chevy to Canadians too.
New one's? :?: What was salesman's name? thanks
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2005
2244 posts
6 upvotes
Not sure if anyone else had this idea in mind or even it was posted. Why don't we have a RFD meet in honour of this thread?? This will be extremely beneficial to the "TO BE BUYERS" and the "NEWLY BOUGHTS" can share their experience. It sounds more fun than having to read through 500 pages of info. Whos up for it?
Jul 24, 2007
545 posts
1 upvote
diigii wrote:
Oct 30th, 2007 8:42 pm
I saw his report on CTV News at 6pm awhile ago. He detailed how much a used European car and a brand new North American-made SUV. In it, he calculated the 6.1% duty on the European car, A/C tax, taxes and RIV fee for both. But what sounded wrong and, misleading, is how he phrased the taxes as "costs" of importing. To a misinformed viewer, hearing what he said is indeed misleading! Those "costs" he highlighted are also paid for by a Canadian consumer buying a car here in Canada, with the taxes even higher than a car bought in the US.

It will be re-aired again shortly on CTV News. Channel 8 in the GTA region.
Mar 6, 2007
27 posts
cyber007 wrote:
Oct 30th, 2007 3:22 pm
Thanks for all the informations here. I successfully imported a 2007 Audi Q7 from New Jersey. The vehicle is slightly used with 5,000 miles but the savings are more that 20K :) .

Just want to share my experience regarding the recall clearance letter. Visited the RIV office yesterday morning when I drove the vehicle back with the dealer provided recall clearance letter following exactly the instruction posted on the RIV website how to prepare the dealer recall letter. But the clerk at RIV just said the letter is not acceptable and refuse to listen to my explanation. I had to call Audi USA head office and got my recall letter from them in two hours and faxed over to RIV. When called RIV office later, they said it will take at least 72 hours for them to put my recall letter into their system since the fax volume is extremely high.

Lesson learned, if possible, always get your recall clearance letter from the manufacturer instead of dealership. Do not trust what RIV website and the customer service people said on the phone (I called them three times before I head down to US and they said dealer recall letter is okay but was plainly rejected by the clerk in the office without properly explanation :( ).
Same story here. I have a dealer issued recall clearance letter with manufacturer logo that is rejected last Friday!!

I've got my manufacturer issued recall clearance letter this morning and received my inspection form emailed to me this afternoon. Went to CT after work and got my federal inspection done!

All I need now is the Drive Clean and Safety. :)
Mar 6, 2007
27 posts
propofol wrote:
Four questions:

4) I heard that the Lexus IS 250/ 350 need no modifications, except for the French stickers. Is this true?
My car has passed with English-only label. I am not sure about others, but my inspection form says French label is required "if it is equipped with an airbag that requires periodic maintenance". I don't think my car's airbag needs "periodic maintenance". :confused:

I have printed a picture of bilingual label and planned to tape it onto the car if needed, but it turns out I don't need to do anything.
Mar 6, 2007
27 posts
propofol wrote:
Four questions:

BTW, I briefly chatted with 2 guys who were importing Lexus SUV while I was waiting at the RIV office to pick up inspection form last Friday. They told me the Lexus SUV already comes with bilingual stickers all over the car. I am not sure if it is the same for IS. So, chances are you may not need to worry about anything.
Aug 23, 2005
46 posts
2 upvotes
OK, I got the time to post again finally.

As you all know, 2008 Acuras were added to the RIV admissability list. :D

I found out on Monday (29.10) @14.00pm, run out of house, got to the RIV office at 3.25pm, they had some kind of a computer system trouble, but just as I got there it was fixed so I got my Form2 and was at Queensway CT 3.45pm. The guy just checked DRL`s and was more interested @the price I paid for the car. So the inspection took about 5mins.
Was at the Licensing office (Kipling/Queensway) 4:00pm and had plates on my car at 4.20pm. :cheesygri :cheesygri :lol:

Final review:
1. It took almost 2 month of driving on 1 NY temp. permit (30 days) & 3 Ontario temporary permits to get the car plates (Bought the car 07.Sept.2007 and waited for RIV)
2. Made all the calculations finally and my savings on my 2008 Acura TL (Navi-Black Pearl) is $15,400. ( I also accounted in 3 temp permits for $45)

Houraaaay, NO MORE POLICE STOPS WHY I DON`T HAVE PLATES. (had 6 of them :evil: )