Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Oct 31, 2007
467 posts
9 upvotes
Just had a chat with Kirkland Infiniti in Seattle, Washington. Basically wanted MSRP for an in-stock G35x w/ Premium and Navigation, which was US$39,475, plus 400 for daytime running lights, plus 500 "because we don't get advertising money from Infiniti for cars sold to Canadians". Whatever. On the road price = 40,375.

I mentioned GST was dropping in January, and that I would likley hold off till then, and the sales guy said he could compensate me for that if I was to take a car right then and there over the phone. Said there was a little bit of room to move on price but not much, since (fairly enough) Canadians don't go there for warranty or maintenance work, so overall profit is less. Still, he was working from MSRP, not invoice, which wasn't impressive.

I'm from Calgary and looking for the most painless way to get myself a G35.

Anyone out there have similar/better/worse experience regarding getting an Infiniti in Western Canada?
Oct 22, 2007
22 posts
2 upvotes
Ontario
It is absolutely BS that the carmakers themselves are allowed to say what cars will go on RIV's list or not! Why is this allowed to occur?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 19, 2005
8747 posts
387 upvotes
Toronto
tico 1948 wrote:
Nov 1st, 2007 5:51 pm
Here she is folks.

http://70.85.225.31/tico_front.jpg
http://70.85.225.31/tico_back.jpg Got her from Xan at Manchester Subaru. Thanks Xan for being there when I arrived, even though it was your day off!
Nice color!

Would anyone pls post some pictures of Newport Blue Tribeca??

Thanks !
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need below items in GTA:
- CT, HD, FS, BB, gas GCs

FS: Freedom Mobile credit
Oct 31, 2007
264 posts
17 upvotes
Vancouver
I heard Auto Manufacturers have told them dealerships not to sell cars to Canadians in States. They are now losing money in the Canadian Market...Has anyone heard about this?
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2003
1204 posts
55 upvotes
Vancouver
ac328 wrote:
Nov 1st, 2007 7:18 pm
Just had a chat with Kirkland Infiniti in Seattle, Washington. Basically wanted MSRP for an in-stock G35x w/ Premium and Navigation, which was US$39,475, plus 400 for daytime running lights, plus 500 "because we don't get advertising money from Infiniti for cars sold to Canadians". Whatever. On the road price = 40,375.

I mentioned GST was dropping in January, and that I would likley hold off till then, and the sales guy said he could compensate me for that if I was to take a car right then and there over the phone. Said there was a little bit of room to move on price but not much, since (fairly enough) Canadians don't go there for warranty or maintenance work, so overall profit is less. Still, he was working from MSRP, not invoice, which wasn't impressive.

Anyone out there have similar/better/worse experience regarding getting an Infiniti in Western Canada?
my friend just got an FX35. he originally looked in Washington state but they wouldn't budge on the price, so we went through a broker and got one shipped from california. price was a couple of thousand cheaper then Washington state. this included shipping and the fee from the brokerage. so this maybe a way to go for infinite. can't really say for other dealerships.
Oct 28, 2007
17 posts
Ontario
COngrats andlai on your Subaru. You beat me by a day at John's desk and by a couple of hours getting things done. Here was my day today (Thursday) just for comparison:

1) Got up at 6:30am (oouch!)
2) Left home at 6:50 for a subway
3) Got on a Greyhound to Buffalo at 8am. Bus left at 8:15.
4) Got to Buffalo at 11:20. 30min late. John Betley was already waiting to pick me up
5) Got to dealer's at 11:45. Paperwork, little test drive etc.
6) Left dealer's at 1:30.
7) Got to US customs at 2pm with minutes. Took 4mins total.
8) Took about 20min at CAN customs. Left around 2:45.
9) Got to RIV just after 4pm. Was the last one they did today! Left RIV 4:40pm
10) Got to CT on Queensway just after 5pm.
11) Got home 5:50 with everything except the plates (that tomorrow). So 11 hours door-to-door.

Thanks everyone on this thread: Thanks to you guys I knew what I was doing so it was easy. And thanks to John Betley: I totally recomend him. He sau they had like 24 Canadians yesterday.

Talking with some guys at RIV, I must say Subaru must be the easiest to import. They took my dealer printout (no recall letter from Subaru necessary), no trouble with dealership, nothing to do re: mods, no warranty problems - just one great Outback. Pure joy!

andlai wrote:
Nov 1st, 2007 11:44 am
A quick recap of yesterday:

(1) Left home (Markham, ON) at 6:30 AM
(2) Arrived Northtown Subaru in Buffalo at 9:10
(3) Left the dealership at 11
(4) Stayed 2 minutes in US custom to obatin the stamp on the MSO
(5) Stayed about 25 minutes in Canadian custom for the FORM 1 and paid duty and GST.
(6) Waited for 40 minutes and obatined Form 2 from RIV at around 3 PM
(7) Finised the Canadian Tire (Scarborough) inspection at 4PM
(8) Paid PST and obatin my Ontario licence plate just before 5.

It was a long day but everything was smoothed. Thanks for John Betley at Northtown Subaru. He made the whole process much easier for me. There were 10 Canadian cutomers picking up their new cars yesterday in John's dealership. :D :D :D

Thanks for all the insights and suggestions from this site. Without all the infomation from here, I may not have the courage to go though the whole process. In the end, I saved more than $15K for my Forester 2.5XS Premium. My wife just in love with the car that we can't afford to pay in Canada.
Sep 13, 2007
5 posts
toronto
OK there is a new update of admissable vehicles. Here is what it says under the column of admissable vheicles.

"2008 : Only 2008 models listed in the admissible column and all 2008 models manufactured before September 1st, 2007 are admissible for importation, except those listed in the inadmissible column."

I am interpreting this to say that all 2008s, except the ones listed in the inadmissable column, built before Sept 1, 2007 are OK. Anyone else have an opinion. Thanks in advance
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1213 upvotes
Sauga
Shear1 wrote:
Nov 1st, 2007 8:52 pm
I am interpreting this to say that all 2008s, except the ones listed in the inadmissable column, built before Sept 1, 2007 are OK. Anyone else have an opinion.
That's exactly how I understood that, too -- "all 2008 models manufactured before September 1st, 2007 are admissible for importation, except those listed in the inadmissible column."
Oct 3, 2007
82 posts
Toronto
Shear1 wrote:
Nov 1st, 2007 8:52 pm
OK there is a new update of admissable vehicles. Here is what it says under the column of admissable vheicles.

"2008 : Only 2008 models listed in the admissible column and all 2008 models manufactured before September 1st, 2007 are admissible for importation, except those listed in the inadmissible column."

I am interpreting this to say that all 2008s, except the ones listed in the inadmissable column, built before Sept 1, 2007 are OK. Anyone else have an opinion. Thanks in advance
Yeah. I've been reading this over and over again for an hr and I think your interpretation is correct.
On the other hand, looks like ALL 2008 GM minivans and SUVs manufactured before Sept 01 are inadmissible. For 2008 models manufactured after Setp 01 pls call OEM (a call to RIV just confirmed that 2 minutes ago - meaning that I will have to pay GM extra $$ to get a letter of compliance, if the vehicle is admissible).
Oct 31, 2007
467 posts
9 upvotes
Ryu69 wrote:
Nov 1st, 2007 8:31 pm
my friend just got an FX35. he originally looked in Washington state but they wouldn't budge on the price, so we went through a broker and got one shipped from california. price was a couple of thousand cheaper then Washington state. this included shipping and the fee from the brokerage. so this maybe a way to go for infinite. can't really say for other dealerships.
Could you tell me which broker/dealer you went through? More details would be much appreciated. Also, did you have the US dealer do the daytime running lights? Thanks!
Jan 20, 2006
673 posts
52 upvotes
Montreal
confused?!?

Guys, I called few of the Canadian Tire regarding to the RIV inspection and they told me the only time they will do it is Monday to Friday 8:00am to 5:00pm...

Is it true? Did they misunderstood me or this is the rule?

Any Canadian Tire will perform the Form 2 inspection in Montreal during the weekend or after 6:00pm weekday?

Thanks!
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2002
1614 posts
Vancouver
ac328 wrote:
Nov 1st, 2007 7:18 pm

I've had some dealings with Kirkland Infiniti. I too am looking for a Super clean 2006-2007 G35, or an new FX35.

Did they mention to you the Documentation fee for exporting to Canada for $1200? Total cash grab IMHO

I got the same song and dance about "Canadians don't go there for warranty or maintenance work, so overall profit is less" Meh, whatever.

I would deal with Beaverton Infiniti in Oregon. They seem much more receptive to Canadian Business.
Dec 25, 2006
423 posts
8 upvotes
I''d really appreciate if someone can answer my question(second time asking with no replies)

Can a used vehicle with "salvage" title be imported into Canada?Is the procedure any different?