Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Oct 5, 2005
686 posts
19 upvotes
vim wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2007 2:34 pm
I know this is not confirmed, but I heared from the good source that Honda and Acura might announce price adjustments as early as this weekend.

Hopefully this is true.
Heard this, but more in terms of option/accessories/incentives, as opposed to actual price reductions.

LOL

Not good enough.
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2001
4791 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
Tender wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2007 3:04 pm
How did Karl from VB do it? He doesn't require you to wire money in advance.
No he doesn't, but you still have to pay in full, either certified cheque, cashier cheque ( or whatever they called it this day) or USD cash.

Make certain you declare the amount of the cheque or cash to the US border guard, or else Mr. Hurt is waiting for you in that little room.
Mark77 wrote:
Nov 16th, 2011 9:37 pm
That's not very nice....and you're missing out on a lot of valuable knowledge if you ignore me. Your loss.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2005
3412 posts
353 upvotes
This thread is going to get 1 MILLION views soon!
Jul 24, 2007
545 posts
1 upvote
Tender wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2007 3:04 pm
How did Karl from VB do it? He doesn't require you to wire money in advance.
He accepts US bank drafts, though he posted that wire transfers are convenient for both parties since the money is in their bank account and you get to leave his dealership so you make it in time to the Lewiston US Customs. With the bank draft, he will have to make sure the money is clear and that takes time.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2005
1695 posts
47 upvotes
whampoa wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2007 3:15 pm
No he doesn't, but you still have to pay in full, either certified cheque, cashier cheque ( or whatever they called it this day) or USD cash.

Make certain you declare the amount of the cheque or cash to the US border guard, or else Mr. Hurt is waiting for you in that little room.
I think the question being asked is: do you pay in full while picking up the car, or do you have to pay few days in advance, i.e. is full payment required for the title to be faxed to the border.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2004
1451 posts
118 upvotes
scrolllock wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2007 12:26 pm
TC says that it is up to the Manufacturer to determine if the car meets or beat the Canadian Standard. The RIV simply executes their rules. Someone in Transportation Canada needs to use some common sense!
The common sense is: when you buy cars in Canada for higher price, the fed/provincial pocket more tax money. So they would never say a word about the auto industry ripoff.
Sep 10, 2006
178 posts
6 upvotes
I think it's good because not alot of dealer willing to sell you the Toyota right now , also for 2008, you can get max 1000$ --> 2000$ rebate for Sienna,Camry, Corolla .. if anybody knew any dealer in EASTERN canada can do this let's me know. I will buy from that
longdong wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2007 3:00 pm
The dealer is right, the dealer can not get the rebate from manufacture if you didn't give them the customer name and address (registration)... but you can negotiate from MSRP price - few hundred dollars ... but for thousands dollars rebate from manufacture you couldn't get it.
Sep 10, 2006
178 posts
6 upvotes
I think it's good because not alot of dealer willing to sell you the Toyota right now , also for 2008, you can get max 1000$ --> 2000$ rebate for Sienna,Camry, Corolla .. if anybody knew any dealer in EASTERN canada can do this let's me know. I will buy from that dealer
longdong wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2007 3:00 pm
The dealer is right, the dealer can not get the rebate from manufacture if you didn't give them the customer name and address (registration)... but you can negotiate from MSRP price - few hundred dollars ... but for thousands dollars rebate from manufacture you couldn't get it.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2006
1047 posts
30 upvotes
Thornhill
whampoa wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2007 3:15 pm

diigii wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2007 3:18 pm
He accepts US bank drafts, though he posted that wire transfers are convenient for both parties since the money is in their bank account and you get to leave his dealership so you make it in time to the Lewiston US Customs. With the bank draft, he will have to make sure the money is clear and that takes time.
Oh just to clarify, my question was how did Karl provide the title 72 hours before he was paid (if the dealer insist on full payment before providing the title)? Apparently he accepts payment when you pick up the car, but doesn't he provide the title to/for you before that to make sure your car gets clearance from the U.S. border?
Oct 20, 2003
366 posts
3 upvotes
Waterloo
Tender wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2007 3:37 pm
Oh just to clarify, my question was how did Karl provide the title 72 hours before he was paid (if the dealer insist on full payment before providing the title)? Apparently he accepts payment when you pick up the car, but doesn't he provide the title to/for you before that to make sure your car gets clearance from the U.S. border?
+1 I would like clarification as well.
Jul 24, 2007
545 posts
1 upvote
Tender wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2007 3:37 pm
I've read from Van Bortel buyers here that you sign the purchase agreement which he sends in advance to you. The way he deals with you is with a lot of trust that you will keep your word with him. In turn, he makes your buying experience worthwhile by doing the paperwork and faxing to US Customs so that when you come to pick up the car, you can drive back to Canada on the same day. He sends you on your way by 11:30am so that you have enough time to make it for the US Customs inspection well before the 4pm deadline.
Jul 24, 2007
545 posts
1 upvote
LoveRFD wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2007 3:17 pm
This thread is going to get 1 MILLION views soon!
I've heard that Monsiuermaggot will donate a free Subaru 3.0R LL Bean for the 1-millionth post. :lol:
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2006
1047 posts
30 upvotes
Thornhill
diigii wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2007 3:43 pm
I've read from Van Bortel buyers here that you sign the purchase agreement which he sends in advance to you. The way he deals with you is with a lot of trust that you will keep your word with him. In turn, he makes your buying worthwhile by doing the paperwork and faxing to US Customs.
That's good to know. Thanks diigii and whampoa. You've both been very helpful in this thread.
Aug 6, 2007
45 posts
Markham
icu_nxtime wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2007 9:03 am
It's never a good idea from a sales point of view to openly bash a competitor makes you look desperate !!!
Let people get their quotes and make their decision based on price, referrals, good business sense AND trust in the salesrep\dealership.

My 2 Cents
+1

Xan, relax Dude. Please do not underestimate the RFD's intelligence. There are always pros and cons we are facing and honestly, do we care how or where you get the cars from and how much your cost are? WE want a deal, so give us a fair deal and we'll find out, good or bad.

Look at Zach(BTW where is Zach recently ), try to answer some questions here and help out first. You will get business.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2002
2619 posts
567 upvotes
GTA
How does everyone here feel about extended warranty ?

According to Van Bortel, paradoxically when a 2008 Subaru enters "extended" warranty the Canadian dealers will repair without pre-payment...