Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

  • Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer
 
112
33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper
 
149
44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!
 
61
18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same
 
6
2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!
 
7
2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 5, 2006
5922 posts
155 upvotes
Murica
really? the highlander is MIJ?

I thought after the new design of the RX, they are now made in CAmbridge. So is the Highlander. Maybe even Woodstock, On.
Sr. Member
Feb 12, 2006
668 posts
72 upvotes
Of all the ones I checked in States right from 2001 all the VINs start with "J" which means made in Japan. That's what the US dealers have been tellng me. I'm going to assume if the US onces are made in Japan the Canadian onces would be also. If they were made in North America that would be another $2200 of savings. As you can see from my previous post even after paying the 6.1% duty there is still a 10K differences after taxes.....
Jr. Member
Nov 6, 2002
103 posts
12 upvotes
Montreal
Hi

I just spoke with Subaru Canada and they released the Compliance Label to Transport Canada (RIV). RIV should have the updated information tomorrow (maybe not on their website, but on the phone, they should confirm).

My Outback 2007 is comming!!!!!
Member
User avatar
Mar 5, 2003
323 posts
5 upvotes
Ottawa
The argument that you won't save money is silly. Maybe there's that one or two models that don't work out, but it's by far the rare exception. From a July article:

Acura MDX
Price in U.S.: $37,740
Equiv. in Cdn.: $41,933
Price in Canada: $53,030

Chevrolet Corvette
Price in U.S.: $44,490
Equiv. in Cdn.: $49,433
Price in Canada: $67,805

Ford Freestyle AWD/SEL
Price in U.S.: $28,030
Equiv. in Cdn.: 31,144
Price in Canada: $39,099

Honda S2000
Price in U.S.: $34,600
Equiv. in Cdn.: $38,444
Price in Canada: $51,755

Mazda6 Sportwagon GT
Price in U.S.: $27,720
Equiv. in Cdn.: $30,800
Price in Canada: $34,570

Porsche 911 Carrera
Price in U.S.: $71,300
Equiv. in Cdn.: $79,222
Price in Canada: $104,300

Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX
Price in U.S.: $25,620
Equiv. in Cdn.: $28,466
Price in Canada: $36,990

Toyota Prius
Price in U.S.: $22,305
Equiv. in Cdn.: $24,783
Price in Canada: $32,520

Volvo XC70 AWD
Price in U.S.: $37,305
Equiv. in Cdn.: $41,450
Price in Canada: $49,010

VW Passat wagon 3.6
Price in U.S.: $33,955
Equiv. in Cdn.: $37,728
Price in Canada: $47,650

And my own situation, the US model was $11,189 cheaper, had more features, and way more options to choose from, to exactly fit what I wanted, instead of the "here it is, choose sparse base model or fully loaded" situation here.

Cost of aquisition was nothing, in fact the savings from the PST and GST alone due to the lower purchase price easily covered the air fare, the RIV fee, the price of gas to drive it back to Canada, etc.

The hardest part of the whole thing is actually finding a dealer to sell you a vehicle, since Toyota is leaning on them so hard and threatening them.

A helpful hint, tell the dealer you have a US mailing address (and have one). My dealership required it, so that they can essentially enter the sales as a US sale. If the customer takes the vehicle to Canada afterward it's not their problem, right? :)
Banned
May 5, 2003
4879 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Gromit wrote:
Oct 5th, 2006 1:11 pm
The argument that you won't save money is silly. Maybe there's that one or two models that don't work out, but it's by far the rare exception. From a July article:

Acura MDX
Price in U.S.: $37,740
Equiv. in Cdn.: $41,933
Price in Canada: $53,030

Chevrolet Corvette
Price in U.S.: $44,490
Equiv. in Cdn.: $49,433
Price in Canada: $67,805

Ford Freestyle AWD/SEL
Price in U.S.: $28,030
Equiv. in Cdn.: 31,144
Price in Canada: $39,099

Honda S2000
Price in U.S.: $34,600
Equiv. in Cdn.: $38,444
Price in Canada: $51,755

Mazda6 Sportwagon GT
Price in U.S.: $27,720
Equiv. in Cdn.: $30,800
Price in Canada: $34,570

Porsche 911 Carrera
Price in U.S.: $71,300
Equiv. in Cdn.: $79,222
Price in Canada: $104,300

Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX
Price in U.S.: $25,620
Equiv. in Cdn.: $28,466
Price in Canada: $36,990

Toyota Prius
Price in U.S.: $22,305
Equiv. in Cdn.: $24,783
Price in Canada: $32,520

Volvo XC70 AWD
Price in U.S.: $37,305
Equiv. in Cdn.: $41,450
Price in Canada: $49,010

VW Passat wagon 3.6
Price in U.S.: $33,955
Equiv. in Cdn.: $37,728
Price in Canada: $47,650

And my own situation, the US model was $11,189 cheaper, had more features, and way more options to choose from, to exactly fit what I wanted, instead of the "here it is, choose sparse base model or fully loaded" situation here.

Cost of aquisition was nothing, in fact the savings from the PST and GST alone due to the lower purchase price easily covered the air fare, the RIV fee, the price of gas to drive it back to Canada, etc.

The hardest part of the whole thing is actually finding a dealer to sell you a vehicle, since Toyota is leaning on them so hard and threatening them.

A helpful hint, tell the dealer you have a US mailing address (and have one). My dealership required it, so that they can essentially enter the sales as a US sale. If the customer takes the vehicle to Canada afterward it's not their problem, right? :)
I'm looking to buy a van - Honda Odyssey... where do I start? Should I look for a dealer close to T.O?
Member
Jun 27, 2006
478 posts
108 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
joe friday wrote:
Oct 4th, 2006 9:43 pm
(although I once purchased a Volare station wagon imported from Florida that turned out to be one helluva bargain....but that's another story!).
Great car. I had one too.
Member
User avatar
Mar 5, 2003
323 posts
5 upvotes
Ottawa
Shaf wrote:
Oct 5th, 2006 2:00 pm
I'm looking to buy a van - Honda Odyssey... where do I start? Should I look for a dealer close to T.O?
In general, you have to find a dealer quite far away from the border. Pennsylvania, Washington DC, etc.

If you're not too hung up on Honda, the Toyota Sienna is a bit better model to import, as it already has daytime running lights (or a 10 cent fuse to enable them), the warranty issues are clearer, etc.
Jr. Member
Aug 20, 2004
143 posts
bbb0bbb wrote:
Oct 5th, 2006 11:56 am
Hi

I just spoke with Subaru Canada and they released the Compliance Label to Transport Canada (RIV). RIV should have the updated information tomorrow (maybe not on their website, but on the phone, they should confirm).

My Outback 2007 is comming!!!!!

Excellent. I much appreciate that update.

Dave
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2005
2109 posts
248 upvotes
North Vancouver
that's not true, USA people is not silly, who will pay $3000 more than MSRP for a Hybrid, I saw in Edmunds Forum lots of people get $500 below invoice.
Rehan wrote:
Oct 4th, 2006 8:05 pm
US$25900 is the MSRP for the base model, but according to Edmunds.com what others are paying is about $28k.
http://www.edmunds.com/new/2007/toyota/ ... l?action=2

(Unlike in Canada, dealers in the US are allowed to sell above MSRP.)
Member
User avatar
Mar 4, 2004
212 posts
5 upvotes
Kingston, Ontario
joe friday wrote:
Oct 4th, 2006 9:43 pm
...although I once purchased a Volare station wagon imported from Florida that turned out to be one helluva bargain....but that's another story!
CanAm wrote:
Oct 5th, 2006 2:01 pm
Great car. I had one too.
Ahhh, the memories! Gotta luv that Mactac fake woodgrain siding too!

The thing was a tank, ran forever and took nothing to maintain. The only thing that could stop it in the end was the habit it developed of stalling at every red light and stop sign if it was damp out...my wife REALLY enjoyed that...

I'd still be driving it today except the seat springs eventually gave way and my a** was almost dragging on the road....
Jr. Member
Dec 12, 2005
101 posts
14 upvotes
Here is my experience with purchasing a Toyota from the USA.

In Canada all Toyota's are distributed by Toyota Canada owned by Toyota Japan. Not the same system in the USA.

In the USA they have at least three distrubutors that I am aware of. The main one is Toyota USA owned by Toyota Japan.

The second is a private distributor for the Gulf States, Texas etc. and the third is a private distributor for the South East States that includes Georgia, South Carolina etc.

I could not get a dealer that was supplied inventory from Toyota USA to sell me a new vehicle that they thought was going to be exported to Canada.

Dealers supplied from the Gulf State distributor would sell me but I could not get a good enough discount.

Moving to dealers supplied by the South East States distributor I found an additional $2500.00 discount from the my best price I could find in Texas.

I am reluctant to disclose what dealer I purchased from in case someone from Toyota Canada is monitoring this site and might cause a problem but with the information I have given you it's not hard to find a dealer thru the internet.

Also my advise is to pick a large dealer in a major city as they seemed to offer the best discounts thru their internet sales departments.

I purchased a 2006 Toyota Land Cruiser that Toyota Canada for some reason does not import into Canada and ended up paying $3800.00 under dealer invoice. Yes $3800.00 under dealer invoice not under MSRP. As it was a 2006 past model year the distributor gives the dealer additional cash back incentives to get rid of 2006 product.

It makes me wonder how much the distributor really pays Toyota Japan for these vehicles because at the end of the sale everyone up the food chain still has to make a profit.
Jr. Member
User avatar
Feb 20, 2005
126 posts
GTA & Surroundin…
First of all, you need to read my post. I did not say people won't save money. I already stated it may impact or benefit some but not all.
Second, if you do not agree what people say. You should not call then silly or stupid. It is not polite.

I stated the facts in my real case and that is. I have the invoice to show it is better off for 4 years of ownership (again that is my case). All those numbers in your posts are MSRP. If you do search in Redflagdeals forum, you will find a lot of people actually using APA member price. Usually, all the models I interested in have around 8-15% off MSRP already. Don't just look at the MSRP, features in US model SOMETHING are different than Canadian. You need to compare apple to apple.

Of course I do not have interest about Corvette so I cannot speak about that.
But you are right, Toyota Prius is better deal in US. And that is why smart Canadian will get a 2007 Camry instead. Beside, the MSRP for Prius and Camry Hybrid are pretty close. But TCH have more feature than Prius. Again that was part of my homework before purchased the TCH.






Gromit wrote:
Oct 5th, 2006 1:11 pm
The argument that you won't save money is silly. Maybe there's that one or two models that don't work out, but it's by far the rare exception. From a July article:

Acura MDX
Price in U.S.: $37,740
Equiv. in Cdn.: $41,933
Price in Canada: $53,030

Chevrolet Corvette
Price in U.S.: $44,490
Equiv. in Cdn.: $49,433
Price in Canada: $67,805

Ford Freestyle AWD/SEL
Price in U.S.: $28,030
Equiv. in Cdn.: 31,144
Price in Canada: $39,099

Honda S2000
Price in U.S.: $34,600
Equiv. in Cdn.: $38,444
Price in Canada: $51,755

Mazda6 Sportwagon GT
Price in U.S.: $27,720
Equiv. in Cdn.: $30,800
Price in Canada: $34,570

Porsche 911 Carrera
Price in U.S.: $71,300
Equiv. in Cdn.: $79,222
Price in Canada: $104,300

Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX
Price in U.S.: $25,620
Equiv. in Cdn.: $28,466
Price in Canada: $36,990

Toyota Prius
Price in U.S.: $22,305
Equiv. in Cdn.: $24,783
Price in Canada: $32,520
Banned
User avatar
Dec 24, 2004
10708 posts
151 upvotes
regrus wrote:
Oct 6th, 2006 1:04 am

I purchased a 2006 Toyota Land Cruiser that Toyota Canada for some reason does not import into Canada and ended up paying $3800.00 under dealer invoice. Yes $3800.00 under dealer invoice not under MSRP. As it was a 2006 past model year the distributor gives the dealer additional cash back incentives to get rid of 2006 product.

It makes me wonder how much the distributor really pays Toyota Japan for these vehicles because at the end of the sale everyone up the food chain still has to make a profit.
Exactly. not only for that model, but many other models are cheaper in the USA. in many cases its even worth an air ticket and a few days stay in a hotel to arrange the purchase to buy a car from the US then bringing it back to Canada. its Silly to ignore that.
Member
User avatar
Mar 5, 2003
323 posts
5 upvotes
Ottawa
lexus wrote:
Oct 6th, 2006 11:34 am
I stated the facts in my real case and that is. I have the invoice to show it is better off for 4 years of ownership (again that is my case). All those numbers in your posts are MSRP. If you do search in Redflagdeals forum, you will find a lot of people actually using APA member price. Usually, all the models I interested in have around 8-15% off MSRP already. Don't just look at the MSRP, features in US model SOMETHING are different than Canadian. You need to compare apple to apple.
I already dealt with the different feature sets, in a great many cases you get more features and more choice for less money. Individual circumstances will vary of course. For example, you can get stability and traction control on the cheaper US Sienna minivan models, whereas in Canada you have to move up to the most expensive model. If there's a "must have" feature on your list, then this can save you thousands more.

Yes, the numbers are MSRP. On *both* sides of the border. Which actually makes the Canada side look better than it is, since that doesn't show things like Toyota Canada's Access Pricing, aka "sorry, non-negotiable, we only sell at MSRP in Canada". You make it sound like only Canadians can find deals under MSRP.

Surely you see how special your case is. You bought a hybrid, which is already rare. Plus, it's a brand new 07 that's barely in production, so inventories are extremely low. The dealership I bought my vehicle at has 1000s of Siennas, Camrys, Highlanders etc at multiple dealerships. They have *one* Camry Hybrid between them.

Further, your equation charges duty, which won't be the case soon, as it will be built in Kentucky. http://www.toyota.com/about/news/manufa ... llion.html

If all you wanted to say was "Be careful, not every US car is cheaper, check your situation carefully", then fine, I absolutely agree. But your post came across as scaremongering, don't do it it's not cheaper, what about the resale value, it's far better to buy in Canada.

Top