Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Sep 10, 2006
178 posts
6 upvotes
diigii wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2007 3:45 pm
I've heard that Monsiuermaggot will donate a free Subaru 3.0R LL Bean for the 1-millionth post. :lol:
maybe he needs to get another car because 1 loonie = 1.07 US poor dollar right now. So on a car of 30000 US = 28000 Canadian .... alot cheaper now
Sep 10, 2006
178 posts
6 upvotes
with today rate the Tribeca limited 2008 costs around 27k Canadian .. what's a deal . and www.multiline.ca is still asking 33k (US import model) ... man a big saving from US.. a real deal with saving of 17k from Canadian model.
Jan 12, 2004
4 posts
Waterloo
NEWS FLASH

My local dealer just contacted me about the latest news that has come thru the wire at Honda/Acura
He has stated that he is able to get me $9000.00 Cash back. The is for only a short time until inventory levels come down if we pay cash? The other offer that they have is 0.9% finance but you do not get the cash back. Just wanted to let everyone know...
Mar 5, 2003
323 posts
5 upvotes
Ottawa
Wow, the 2008 Sienna isn't admissable. Very surprising.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
9498 posts
622 upvotes
Muskoka
flaming homer wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2007 4:04 pm
How does everyone here feel about extended warranty ?

According to Van Bortel, paradoxically when a 2008 Subaru enters "extended" warranty the Canadian dealers will repair without pre-payment...
I skipped it. I figured if they are going to sell me an extended warranty for that many more years/miles for $1000, it's because the odds of the vehicle needing more warranty repairs within that time frame is very low. They sell these to make money, not lose it.

As per the latest consumer Reports reliability study, Subaru has pulled ahead of Toyota into the top 2 with Honda. They are obviously making very well built vehicles, and they are confident about them.
Banned
Oct 24, 2004
589 posts
14 upvotes
Gromit wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2007 4:30 pm
Where did you find this? I know some people from this forum already imported and registered Sienna 2008.
Oct 28, 2007
17 posts
Ontario
Few pple asked this question and I got some PMs on this.

In my case I took a bank draft with me (make sure you declare it at the border). This is since Lewinston border crossing only requires a fax 72h in advance, so a dealer can fax the title without actually parting with this, and he can do it with a deposit only.

For those crossings that require an original, you may need to pay in advance or do a trip twice. Someone else who crossed at thousand islands (I think there they need original??) should elaborate
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2004
4404 posts
638 upvotes
Ottawa
Gromit wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2007 4:30 pm
vim wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2007 4:42 pm
Where did you find this? I know some people from this forum already imported and registered Sienna 2008.
Yup, check the RIV list. Sienna's manufactured after Sept 2007 are INADMISSABLE - which is kind of odd since the RIV / TC websites seem to suggest that for cars without the immobilizer, you can just add an aftermarket but this clearly says INADMISSABLE not ADMISSIBLE WITH MODIFICATION.
Oct 8, 2007
127 posts
5 upvotes
Thanks. I plan to buy with Xan on Monday & I was just getting a little nervous about the whole thing. I plan to give him a deposite, he will then fax the purchase agreement which I will sign. I will then wire tansfer the money to him knowing that I have a copy of the purchase agreement in hand. He will then overnight the title of the vehicle to me. I can then send it to the border crossing of choice...Queenston/Lewiston.

The next question. Do I need to ensure it from the date I receive the MSO or just when I pick it up? Xan says their insured however State Farm says insure it from the date you own it. Which would mean when I receive the MSO, wouldn't it???
diigii wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2007 3:43 pm
I've read from Van Bortel buyers here that you sign the purchase agreement which he sends in advance to you. The way he deals with you is with a lot of trust that you will keep your word with him. In turn, he makes your buying experience worthwhile by doing the paperwork and faxing to US Customs so that when you come to pick up the car, you can drive back to Canada on the same day. He sends you on your way by 11:30am so that you have enough time to make it for the US Customs inspection well before the 4pm deadline.
Oct 3, 2007
82 posts
Toronto
michelb wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2007 4:51 pm
Yup, check the RIV list. Sienna's manufactured after Sept 2007 are INADMISSABLE - which is kind of odd since the RIV / TC websites seem to suggest that for cars without the immobilizer, you can just add an aftermarket but this clearly says INADMISSABLE not ADMISSIBLE WITH MODIFICATION.
Correct. And for GM vans/suvs just a short line that none of pre Sept 01 2008 models are admissable. So I called GM and asked for explanation but they didn't comment. I asked then about post Sept 01 2008 admissiblity, as per RIV's note (check with the OEM) but they told me to call RIV. So I called RIV and asked about post Sept 01 2008 SUV and was told that it is not admissable.

I am not emotional about this mess anymore....there is no logic in this rather than a serious attempt to prevent importation and maintain high prices in Canada. I just think that somebody, maybe a good lawyer :) should take a good look at this Nov 01 list and that massive inadmissiblity nonsens under Toyota, Honda and GM products.....
Banned
Oct 24, 2004
589 posts
14 upvotes
J233 wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2007 5:47 pm
Correct. And for GM vans/suvs just a short line that none of pre Sept 01 2008 models are admissable. So I called GM and asked for explanation but they didn't comment. I asked then about post Sept 01 2008 admissiblity, as per RIV's note (check with the OEM) but they told me to call RIV. So I called RIV and asked about post Sept 01 2008 SUV and was told that it is not admissable.

I am not emotional about this mess anymore....there is no logic in this rather than a serious attempt to prevent importation and maintain high prices in Canada. I just think that somebody, maybe a good lawyer :) should take a good look at this Nov 01 list and that massive inadmissiblity nonsens under Toyota, Honda and GM products.....
OK, now I see updated RIV list. That is just a nonsense. OK, I agree that Sienna CE would not be admissable, as it does not have imobilizer, but LE, common, that is just funny.
Actually around end of September before my first unsuccessfull attempt to import Sienna I got e-mail from RIV telling me that "Sienna 2008 appears to be addmissible".
O well, there is no way I'll buy my new van for canadian price. No way. I have time to wait and other brands (Hyunday) to consider.
Oct 31, 2007
22 posts
Has anybody been forced to registered a car in US before bringing it back to Canada?
Jan 1, 2007
11 posts
P5Pimpin wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2007 4:26 pm
NEWS FLASH

My local dealer just contacted me about the latest news that has come thru the wire at Honda/Acura ... He has stated that he is able to get me $9000.00 Cash back.
Interesting! On what vehicle?
Sep 23, 2007
18 posts
Calgary
It's on terra firma and done. Very painless and a lot of worries over nothing. But it does take some research and reading and a lot of PATIENCE.

I had to take a lot of the posts here with a grain of salt since everyone's experience and process is slightly different. I pm'd a lot of people who specifically bought the Tribeca.

I got the 08, 7 seat, navi, dvd, tow package, puddle lit, heated seat, moonroof, leather interior diamond metallic grey tribeca - a couple of options shy of fully loaded.

A base Tribeca might go between the $28,000 to $30,000. But don't sell yourself short. Get some of the upgrades.

My Total Savings: roughly $15,000.

You can PM me if you have any questions.
Oct 11, 2007
64 posts
4 upvotes
Manitoba
[QUOTE]NEWS FLASH

My local dealer just contacted me about the latest news that has come thru the wire at Honda/Acura
He has stated that he is able to get me $9000.00 Cash back. The is for only a short time until inventory levels come down if we pay cash? The other offer that they have is 0.9% finance but you do not get the cash back. Just wanted to let everyone know...[/QUOTE]

yes me too - make, model, year, trim, etc ???