Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Mar 27, 2006
921 posts
167 upvotes
OK,

It seems that The car manufacturers are going to plug the import hole by making their cars inadmissable for import. They must be making suble changes to keep them off the import list and that is why we are seeing fewer 2008's on the list. It also explains the "Not admissable if made after Sept 07."

I mean take Toyota Matrix and Corolla....They are made in Canada but now they are inadmissable?!?!

Buggers!! :mad:
Sep 13, 2007
5 posts
toronto
just got back from the queenston bridge with my 2008 Saturn (pre Sep 1, 2007 build date) funny thing was there were at leat 10 people filling out their form 1 in the customs office. The US customs office had 3 people working flat out tring to serve everyone. Also two transports full of cars going north into Canada at the bridge. One last thing. The bridge toll was CD$3.50 or US$3.00. yes I typed that correctly. Unbelivable!
Oct 3, 2007
82 posts
Toronto
Shear1 wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2007 6:52 pm
just got back from the queenston bridge with my 2008 Saturn (pre Sep 1, 2007 build date) funny thing was there were at leat 10 people filling out their form 1 in the customs office. The US customs office had 3 people working flat out tring to serve everyone. Also two transports full of cars going north into Canada at the bridge. One last thing. The bridge toll was CD$3.50 or US$3.00. yes I typed that correctly. Unbelivable!
Congrats on your success ! I am a bit jealous (just kidding) as I found out today that post Sept 01 2008 Outlooks are not admissible (don
Nov 1, 2006
372 posts
197 upvotes
rafku wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2007 4:47 pm
Few pple asked this question and I got some PMs on this.

In my case I took a bank draft with me (make sure you declare it at the border). This is since Lewinston border crossing only requires a fax 72h in advance, so a dealer can fax the title without actually parting with this, and he can do it with a deposit only.

For those crossings that require an original, you may need to pay in advance or do a trip twice. Someone else who crossed at thousand islands (I think there they need original??) should elaborate
Sorry I have to ask a stupid question: If you put down a deposit for a car, the title is not on your name until it is fully paid. If you fax the title with the dealer is still the owner to Lewiston border, would they give you hassle when you show up with a different title for your car ?

Thanks
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
9498 posts
622 upvotes
Muskoka
[quote="J233" post_id="5868366" time="1194048740" user_id="119185"]Congrats on your success ! I am a bit jealous (just kidding) as I found out today that post Sept 01 2008 Outlooks are not admissible (don
Oct 21, 2007
24 posts
Montreal
Trexim wrote:
Nov 1st, 2007 1:14 pm
That makes sense, although somewhere in these thousands of posts spreading through 500+ pages, I got the impression that, some ports requires you to bring the original title in person to their office 72 hours prior to export day. That is awfully inconvenient as I live more than 2 hours away from the port.
That is exactly the case for the Lacolle border in Quebec, as well as the Rock Island border crossing.
Dec 27, 2004
190 posts
4 upvotes
Hello all....I would just like the opinion of those who have crossed at the Lewiston crossing. I plan on importing my vehicle this coming business week and was just wondering if someone can comment on the steps and if any other pointers are needed.

(Already faxed down for 72hrs and received confirmation of receipt from U.S. customs office)

When I arrive at the U.S. export office I will have in hand my

- Certificate of Title
- Lien Release Letter
- Bill of Sale
- Recall Letter

I just need to show the U.S. side my CoT and Lien Release letter. Then once I move on to the Canadian side I then produce the CoT that has been stamped and provide the Bill of sale, fill out form 1 and pay for the GST. I then plan on faxing the recall letter and paying the RIV online once I get home.

Just wondering if I'm missing something in there.....Also just wondering what people think is a good time to arrive at the export office...pretty hit and miss? I realize there is a rush going on now.

Anyways Thanks for any opinions and suggestions it is appreciated!

Thanks,
Oct 21, 2007
35 posts
Montreal
First time poster....

Email I sent to Fed Gov't:

ENOUGH! ENOUGH! ENOUGH!

Stop handcuffing the Canadian population. The government works for the people, and not big business. Why do we have to pay high prices, and high taxes? We live in a free and democratic country where the free-market system should work without manipulation. The govenrment and big business is acting against the consumer and I WILL HOLD IT AGAINST THE CONSERVATIVE PARTY DURING THE NEXT ELECTION!!!!

Eliminate the silly and bureaucratic rules at Transport Canada and RIV. Clearly send a message to the auto manufacturers to freely allow people to purchase where they want without roadblocks.

I AM FED UP WITH BEING FLEECED BY BOTH BIG BUSINESS AND MY OWN GOVERNMENT....GAS PRICES, CAR PRICES, EXCESSIVE TAXES THAT LEAD TO HUGE GOVERNMENT EXCESSES AND REDUCED SERVICES....AND DO NOT BRING UP THE 1% DROP IN GST AS THAT IS A DROP IN THE ATLANTIC OCEAN!!

Get off your butt and do what you were elected to do and honor the oath you took!!

Email ID's
---------
Harper.S@parl.gc.ca
Cannon.L@parl.gc.ca
Emerson.D@parl.gc.ca
Flaherty.J@parl.gc.ca

Cabinent Ministers
------------------
http://webinfo.parl.gc.ca/MembersOfParl ... Language=E

Parliament
----------
http://webinfo.parl.gc.ca/MembersOfParl ... Language=E

Rise up and be heard!!!!!!!!!!
Oct 21, 2007
24 posts
Montreal
ymlccc wrote:
Nov 1st, 2007 9:46 pm
confused?!?

Guys, I called few of the Canadian Tire regarding to the RIV inspection and they told me the only time they will do it is Monday to Friday 8:00am to 5:00pm...

Is it true? Did they misunderstood me or this is the rule?

Any Canadian Tire will perform the Form 2 inspection in Montreal during the weekend or after 6:00pm weekday?

Thanks!
Consider yourself lucky. The Canadian Tire in the West Island (kirkland) will only do the inspections between 2pm and 4pm weekdays. The Canadian Tire near sources will do it between 10am and 2pm, so i went there today.
Dec 7, 2001
80 posts
Victoria
LoveRFD wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2007 3:17 pm
This thread is going to get 1 MILLION views soon!
Thanks again Monsieurmaggot
:idea:
Another happy RFD importer! 2008 Subaru 3.0R LL Bean :cheesygri
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2007
4010 posts
2276 upvotes
Calgary
tuzzi wrote:
Nov 1st, 2007 9:49 pm
I've had some dealings with Kirkland Infiniti. I too am looking for a Super clean 2006-2007 G35, or an new FX35.

Did they mention to you the Documentation fee for exporting to Canada for $1200? Total cash grab IMHO

I got the same song and dance about "Canadians don't go there for warranty or maintenance work, so overall profit is less" Meh, whatever.

I would deal with Beaverton Infiniti in Oregon. They seem much more receptive to Canadian Business.
I have been looking at Infiniti, a couple midwest ones told me Infiniti won't let them sell new to canada. The best bet might be california.
Oct 21, 2007
24 posts
Montreal
If only it was as smooth as all the rest. Crossing borders? ?No problem. Canadian Customs , no problem

Quebec SAAQ, big problem. (SAAQ is where you register the car in Quebec)

I completed my Canadian tire inspection today at 10:45, and drove over to the local SAAQ and had ALL the papers filled out and ready. However, apparently, the SAAQ needs to "validate" your 2008 car by faxing papers to Quebec City and then you have to wait 2-3 hours before they "approve".

I mentioned to the woman that this wasn't documented anywhere and I don't think there is such a policy, but that was futile. I wasn't able to do anything but wait. After a few hours they phoned back to say that they forgot to fax 1 paper to them, could I come back and provide a copy and then they could send that for "authorization". So I went and then had to wait a few more hours, and then the call came that it was "approved".

Got all the paperwork done, but I wasn't prepared for the fact that the SAAQ takes your title away from you. Yup, its gone to be stored in some file cabinet somewhere, without a clear picture that I can ever get it back.

So whereas the entire car purchase took 12 hours (driving from Montreal to Xan and crossing the border etc etc etc), today took 8 hours all locally. Very frustrating.
Jan 14, 2003
388 posts
54 upvotes
Finally drove home my new 08 Tribeca today from Van Bortel (my earlier deal with another dealership didn't competed due to some timing issue) Karl was busy with Canadian today, beside me, there are two more canadian customers picking up car from him, one was coming all the way from Ottawa.

I couldn't get to RIV in time today as my driver side mirrow was not completely flat and I need them to replace one on the spot. The border crossing was very smooth for me, spent about 15 mins on the US and about 10 on the Canadian side. Total saving with tax should be about 15,000...
Jan 12, 2004
4 posts
Waterloo
all 2008's

For me the MDX Elite, Cargo Cover, Body Side Moulding & Sport Running Board

MDX upto 9,000 off
TL-S is up to 4,500 off

Right now the price gap for me is only 7,000.00. I'll be purchasing here.
Just to get the warranty I can deal with that.

jwstewart wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2007 6:16 pm
yes me too - make, model, year, trim, etc ???
Jul 18, 2007
62 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
P5Pimpin wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2007 9:11 pm
all 2008's

Right now the price gap for me is only 7,000.00. I'll be purchasing here.
Just to get the warranty I can deal with that.
And that is exactly why car prices are as high as they are in Canada.