Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Nov 29, 2005
211 posts
Hannicho wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2007 6:11 pm
It's on terra firma and done. Very painless and a lot of worries over nothing. But it does take some research and reading and a lot of PATIENCE.

I had to take a lot of the posts here with a grain of salt since everyone's experience and process is slightly different. I pm'd a lot of people who specifically bought the Tribeca.

I got the 08, 7 seat, navi, dvd, tow package, puddle lit, heated seat, moonroof, leather interior diamond metallic grey tribeca - a couple of options shy of fully loaded.

A base Tribeca might go between the $28,000 to $30,000. But don't sell yourself short. Get some of the upgrades.

My Total Savings: roughly $15,000.

You can PM me if you have any questions.
Congrats!! Well done!! I will pm you if I need help (just planning, not yet sure). Thank you
Jan 20, 2006
673 posts
52 upvotes
Montreal
newlegacyowner wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2007 8:45 pm
Consider yourself lucky. The Canadian Tire in the West Island (kirkland) will only do the inspections between 2pm and 4pm weekdays. The Canadian Tire near sources will do it between 10am and 2pm, so i went there today.
seriously?? That's bad for montreal importers... :(

I went to the newly opened Canadian Tire near Dix 30, the guy told me they cannot perform the federal inspection for now since the "stamp" is still on the way to their garage... but if they receive it, they can do it as long as the garage is operated.

I am not sure if I can wait until they receive it or I might just show up at the another CT early Monday morning...
Jun 15, 2007
10 posts
newlegacyowner wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2007 9:06 pm
However, apparently, the SAAQ needs to "validate" your 2008 car by faxing papers to Quebec City and then you have to wait 2-3 hours before they "approve".
I registered a new car at the SAAQ in St Jean on Oct 29 without any approval steps that you mention. Which office did you go to? Unless it's a new policy, the staff at your SAAQ probably doesn't know the proper steps.

The SAAQ will keep your certificate.
Oct 14, 2007
212 posts
Barrie Ontario
I was talking to a guy today and he said that he would rather pay the extra $12,000 to get a Tribeca in Canada because of the warranty. How weak many Canadians are... There was a time - in fact it will probably come back again - when one year warranty was standard.
Oct 5, 2005
686 posts
19 upvotes
sounds like a dealer....extolling the virtues of a warranty

on a quality vehicle in the hands of a mature owner who services the car properly, how much warranty work do you think you will actuallly claim (will it ever add up to $8,000 or $18,000??)

moreover, honda is notorious for denying warranty claims when they feel they can (check out numerous forums for your proof)

wolves scaring the sheep :mad:
Oct 28, 2007
17 posts
Ontario
leta01 wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2007 8:31 pm
Sorry I have to ask a stupid question: If you put down a deposit for a car, the title is not on your name until it is fully paid. If you fax the title with the dealer is still the owner to Lewiston border, would they give you hassle when you show up with a different title for your car ?

Thanks
For a new car the title is not the real title but the Manufacturer Statement of Origin. Go and read Exporting Vehicles on Us Customs and Border Protection web site: look for section on untitled vehicles. In practice the dealer faxes the title without signing it over to you.

By the way, when I was waiting for my Canadian Importation process and t he border, the officer serving me was talking to an inquirer on the phone about teh process and told him they dont really care if the vehicle is properly exported from US or not. Except of course, if you ever drive back in the US you could have that vehicle impounded. But if you are not planning to you could just drive by the US customs and import it into canada. Even though, many years ago, I've done it myself, unknowingly (and actually moved back to states with the same vehicle 3y later with no problems), I would not recommend it. :)
Oct 20, 2002
48 posts
Burnaby, B.C.
OK, I'm kind of freaking out here--I made a deal yesterday with a dealership in Washington State for a 2008 Sienna, having checked the RIV list a few days ago to make sure I was good to go. I wired them the money this morning--and now I find out that the Sienna is inadmissible! If the car was manufactured after Sept 1, it seems like I'll be out of luck. Does anyone know anything else about this?
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2007
2403 posts
280 upvotes
North York
5136440 wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2007 3:53 pm
+1

Xan, relax Dude. Please do not underestimate the RFD's intelligence. There are always pros and cons we are facing and honestly, do we care how or where you get the cars from and how much your cost are? WE want a deal, so give us a fair deal and we'll find out, good or bad.

Look at Zach(BTW where is Zach recently ), try to answer some questions here and help out first. You will get business.
Guys

first we had to deal with the Canadian dealers who tried to fleece us with their prices.

now we are dealing with US dealers near the border - who think we have no alternative

Solution - try dealers a bit south. I did - and I saved another $1000-$1200 from a dealer in MD - and excellent service too. Interested? try calling Gus at 1-888-670-4800 both he and his manager took the trouble to understand what was required - and they delivered. Best price - great service - sounds like an advertisement - heck why not, when people know the clout of RFD - they will deliver - or we move our business and $ elsewhere.

GL - btw if you see a harvest gold legacy with Fitzmall.com licence plates in Toronto - honk - lots of $$$$ saved!!!

Thanks to all in this thread who contributed their knowledge and experience. Couldn't have done it without you!!!
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2006
1047 posts
30 upvotes
Thornhill
dotcalamitie wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2007 10:22 pm
I was talking to a guy today and he said that he would rather pay the extra $12,000 to get a Tribeca in Canada because of the warranty. How weak many Canadians are... There was a time - in fact it will probably come back again - when one year warranty was standard.
$12,000 just for the warranty? I'll probably start a business by selling the warranties here...

By the way, just heard over the 680 news that Ford is cutting the prices here. Can't remember the details, but something like $4,000 savings on the Focus and $5,000 savings on Fushion.
Oct 1, 2007
31 posts
Toronto
MightyMike wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2007 11:26 pm
OK, I'm kind of freaking out here--I made a deal yesterday with a dealership in Washington State for a 2008 Sienna, having checked the RIV list a few days ago to make sure I was good to go. I wired them the money this morning--and now I find out that the Sienna is inadmissible! If the car was manufactured after Sept 1, it seems like I'll be out of luck. Does anyone know anything else about this?
I picked up my 2008 Sienna XLE yesterday, stayed overnight in southern MI and brought it across the Detroit / Windsor border today without any problems. It was quite a wait on the US site to get the title stamped for export. Import at Canada Customs was quick and efficient. On my way home I stopped at the RIF office. It was very busy there but I got Form 2 in about 30 minutes. Nobody mentioned anything about immobilizers. Went to CT got the inspection done by 5PM. By then the MTO offices where closing. If I would not have had to wait that long at the US side of the border and got delayed with construction in Windsor I could have completed the process today. I will get my plates tomorrow or Monday.
Aug 12, 2003
353 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
[QUOTE]U.S. deals still a waiting game

Mark Richardson

Nov 02, 2007

After publishing last weekend's story about buying cars in the U.S., we received a dozen or so letters from readers telling us that we were obviously in league with the auto manufacturers and/or dealers.

We get such accusatory letters just about every week, whatever we publish, but in this case the letter writers scolded journalist John LeBlanc and myself for making the process of buying a car in the United States sound harder than it really is.

We were discouraging the public from crossing the border for bargains by mentioning the pitfalls of cross-border shopping when we should have been leaning on the manufacturers or dealers to drop their Canadian prices on par with U.S. prices, we were told.

The fact is, we don't need to lean on anyone. Manufacturers and dealers are thick-skinned, but the real way to make change is to hit them on the bottom line
Nov 2, 2007
1 posts
Toronto
I'm looking for Toyota camry. I call a lot of toyota dealer in New York city. They all told me that they sold out 2007 toyota camry. But they have 2008 Camry.

I'm just wondering if anyone has successfully imported it from U.S Already? If you did, please also tell me which dealer, and Price.

Thank you in Advance.
Nov 2, 2007
290 posts
39 upvotes
I have been following this thread since the beginning and have kept up to date. This is my first post here (although I've posted a few angry messages on Globeauto.com). I would appreciate any help the collective wisdom of this list can provide (note, I have searched the thread extensively and as previously mentioned, I have read every post).

1. We are looking at purchasing a 2008 Tribeca in Montana (we live in Calgary). We are not interested in driving any further than we need to (i.e. Washington etc.) I did not see any posts indicating they purchased a Tribeca in Montana - If anyone here has, can you please provide any advise you think is worth passing on?

2. Kalispell and Great Falls seem to be the closest drives from Calgary. Google Maps is telling me that Great Falls is further in distance than Kallispell but shorter in time (5 hours 16 mins versus 5 hours 24 mins). (Is that right? Is it because of the tour through Glacier Park?) As we want to do some additional shopping, we would prefer to go to Great Falls, however there appears to be exactly ONE Subaru dealer in each location (Kalispell: Jim Dowen Nissan, Mazda & Subaru Great Falls: Bennett Motors). Any feedback on either dealership?

3. Any pricing experience would be appreciated. We are thinking we will go with the 7 passenger LTD BUT might opt for the Nav and DVD Package if we can keep the price of the vehicle below MSRP and get a discount on the option package ($4200 is STEEP).

4. A kind soul had previously provided a link to the export information site for the Coutts crossing: That site says they accept faxes, but I know many folks here have indicated their borders are no longer accepting faxes. Any first had experience with Coutts recently?

Any other tips would be appreciated!

As an aside, we were also looking at an MDX and after seeing the updates on this form indicating that Honda/Acura was offering cash discounts, I called my sales guy @ Silverhill Acura and he indicated that they are offering $7,000 on base MDX and $8,000 on Tech Package. I figure if you got them to waive the Freight of $1,855, take your 7K cash back and then ask for another $1500 to split the profit with them, you're probably looking at around $44K which is only about $4k above the US price which isn't unbearable since you get warranty, roadside assistance, a vehicle in KMs etc. I don't think they will go to parity as the Canadian dollar appreciation to above par might be a temporary aberation. That being said, I hope they keep monitoring the situation AND keep the cash back there even if the rate pulls back. We shouldn't be paying at a 1.3 rate since the dollar hasn't been there since 2004. Regardless, I think we've decided to save the $10,000 and get the Tribeca over the MDX as the Tribeca seems to have all of the same features (albeit with less power and rear legroom) and $10,000 is nothing to sneeze at.

Thanks for all of the great information on this thread!!!
Jun 24, 2007
138 posts
Zach @ Eastside Suba…
sheriffabc wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2007 11:30 pm
Guys

first we had to deal with the Canadian dealers who tried to fleece us with their prices.

now we are dealing with US dealers near the border - who think we have no alternative

LOL.. My favorite part is the border dealerships who have no idea what they are doing... I get to hear all these horror stories. :) Luckily I already made most of my mistakes the hard way... :cheesygri

CalgaryJeremyK - the Montana dealerships charge more. That's why. They have to, to survive - a typical Subaru dealer there just does not have the volume we get over here.

As to the guy who asked "Where is Zach"... well... I deal with local customers as well plus I already have 11 canadian deals in process for November... so I only hit up RFD in my free time, which is lacking lately, but hey, this can't last forever... I might as well get as many up the border as I can while it lasts, eh?
Jun 24, 2007
138 posts
Zach @ Eastside Suba…
diigii wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2007 3:43 pm
I've read from Van Bortel buyers here that you sign the purchase agreement which he sends in advance to you. The way he deals with you is with a lot of trust that you will keep your word with him. In turn, he makes your buying experience worthwhile by doing the paperwork and faxing to US Customs so that when you come to pick up the car, you can drive back to Canada on the same day. He sends you on your way by 11:30am so that you have enough time to make it for the US Customs inspection well before the 4pm deadline.
In Washington there's another nice little trick... I can't give up all my secrets now can I though? :cheesygri