Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Oct 14, 2007
109 posts
Pierrefonds, Quebec
vim wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2007 6:02 pm
OK, now I see updated RIV list. That is just a nonsense. OK, I agree that Sienna CE would not be admissable, as it does not have imobilizer, but LE, common, that is just funny.
Actually around end of September before my first unsuccessfull attempt to import Sienna I got e-mail from RIV telling me that "Sienna 2008 appears to be addmissible".
O well, there is no way I'll buy my new van for canadian price. No way. I have time to wait and other brands (Hyunday) to consider.
I thought the immobilizer rule only applied to passenger cars of a certain weight?
Standing Up for Consumers / Fair Automobile Pricing For Canadians
Please visit our site, sign our petition advocating Fair Pricing For Canadians, keep up with the latest import news, join our forum and team of members located all across Canada and 123 countries. All for free.
CarsWithoutBorders.com
http://www.carswithoutborders.com/CWBlogowithwords.jpg
Oct 14, 2007
109 posts
Pierrefonds, Quebec
newlegacyowner wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2007 9:06 pm
If only it was as smooth as all the rest. Crossing borders? ?No problem. Canadian Customs , no problem

Quebec SAAQ, big problem. (SAAQ is where you register the car in Quebec)

I completed my Canadian tire inspection today at 10:45, and drove over to the local SAAQ and had ALL the papers filled out and ready. However, apparently, the SAAQ needs to "validate" your 2008 car by faxing papers to Quebec City and then you have to wait 2-3 hours before they "approve".

I mentioned to the woman that this wasn't documented anywhere and I don't think there is such a policy, but that was futile. I wasn't able to do anything but wait. After a few hours they phoned back to say that they forgot to fax 1 paper to them, could I come back and provide a copy and then they could send that for "authorization". So I went and then had to wait a few more hours, and then the call came that it was "approved".

Got all the paperwork done, but I wasn't prepared for the fact that the SAAQ takes your title away from you. Yup, its gone to be stored in some file cabinet somewhere, without a clear picture that I can ever get it back.

So whereas the entire car purchase took 12 hours (driving from Montreal to Xan and crossing the border etc etc etc), today took 8 hours all locally. Very frustrating.

Thanks for the post. It really looks like our bumbling government bureaucrats are not prepared to handle the tremendous amount of paper work coming at them! no wonder our employment rate is the lowest in 50 years.. The govenment is busy hiring all sorts of people to bog down a simple process, that existing departments can't handle now!

Each imported car probably cost the Canadian Tax payer $5000.00 in Government salaries. What a bunch of bunglers... the whole process sucks!...
and Transport Canada is calling the shots on all this! Sad...sad....Sad
Standing Up for Consumers / Fair Automobile Pricing For Canadians
Please visit our site, sign our petition advocating Fair Pricing For Canadians, keep up with the latest import news, join our forum and team of members located all across Canada and 123 countries. All for free.
CarsWithoutBorders.com
http://www.carswithoutborders.com/CWBlogowithwords.jpg
Oct 21, 2007
100 posts
2 upvotes
I would not blame the bureaucrats they follow orders from their political masters. The industry is hurting and is now playing the "maitre chez nous" card. The industry made its political contributions and fully expects to be protected by the Quebec Govt.. The Quebec Govt. is responding by implementing another barrier to trade. What about "les citoyens" ? Mario, Jean and Pauline Marois are quite happy to let them eat Kia or any low budget auto. The field of "free trade" is littered with the bodies of non tariff barriers. Plus ca change plus ca meme chose.
Carry on comparison shopping don't let the forces of evil triumph. Its your money protect it.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2001
1412 posts
142 upvotes
GTA
Have a look at the number of USA Dealer ads in the Toronto Star Wheels section. Things are heating up!
Oct 21, 2007
100 posts
2 upvotes
The gloves are off, it will now be a bare knuckle fight to the finish. There are two possible outcomes now 1) Price capitulation or 2) Govt. of Canada and Provinces implement a raft of non tariff barriers.
Keep your members of federal and provincial parliaments informed of your views.
Oct 21, 2007
24 posts
georgetoy wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2007 10:19 pm
I registered a new car at the SAAQ in St Jean on Oct 29 without any approval steps that you mention. Which office did you go to? Unless it's a new policy, the staff at your SAAQ probably doesn't know the proper steps.

The SAAQ will keep your certificate.
The SAAQ office on St-Johns in the West Island, sharing space with the CAA office north of the 40.
Oct 9, 2007
71 posts
Montrea;
scrolllock wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2007 7:29 am
I thought the immobilizer rule only applied to passenger cars of a certain weight?
When I read the new RIV comments they acknowledge that one can have a third party install an acceptable immobilizer system. My questiion is whether this will make an inadmissible Sienna admissible?
Jul 26, 2007
82 posts
P5Pimpin wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2007 9:11 pm
all 2008's

For me the MDX Elite, Cargo Cover, Body Side Moulding & Sport Running Board

MDX upto 9,000 off
TL-S is up to 4,500 off

Right now the price gap for me is only 7,000.00. I'll be purchasing here.
Just to get the warranty I can deal with that.
Geez is wish I had your money. I don't mean to be offensive but why are you posting on this thread? Why don't you start another thread for those who like to get reamed?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1347 posts
162 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
bigbug wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2007 3:21 pm
The common sense is: when you buy cars in Canada for higher price, the fed/provincial pocket more tax money. So they would never say a word about the auto industry ripoff.
That's a HUGE misconception.

Most people on RFDs are getting much more vehicle in the US for the money they would be paying here.

I had a "budget" to buy a car.

In Canada I could have purchased a base Yaris for the same money I spent on a loaded Outback (okay perhaps a small exaggeration but you get my point!). The government got the same tax dollars from me.
I've been on RFDs for over a decade. My award-winning thread from 2006 is still going strong and one of the most popular on this site!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1347 posts
162 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
diigii wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2007 3:45 pm
I've heard that Monsiuermaggot will donate a free Subaru 3.0R LL Bean for the 1-millionth post. :lol:
Actually Van Bortel, Northtown, Manchester, Carter, West Herr and Dexter are working on that exact prize.

The 1,000,000 reader will be offered the opportunity to buy a Subaru in the US for thousands of dollars less than in Canada.

His/her choice of dealer will also assist them with the importation process.
I've been on RFDs for over a decade. My award-winning thread from 2006 is still going strong and one of the most popular on this site!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1347 posts
162 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
longdong wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2007 4:19 pm
maybe he needs to get another car because 1 loonie = 1.07 US poor dollar right now. So on a car of 30000 US = 28000 Canadian .... alot cheaper now
That's so true.

Back then, I bought my car with a .90 US dollar (average).

I also didn't have the luxury of threads like this.

Sadly, that's the price you pay to be a pioneer.

I don't regret buying my car last March one bit. I got EXACTLY what I wanted and still drive it in disbelief.

I learned a lot during the process, I'm sure I referred hundreds of successful converts, (Still haven't received a penny in referrals!) I even managed to make in on national television.

I'm approaching 7700 trouble-free miles. I am a stickler for quality and finish and admittedly have yet to find any flaws in my Subaru.

If I didn't love my Subie, I would surely do it again. Too bad they are no longer available in Green.
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2004
1171 posts
167 upvotes
Montreal
newlegacyowner wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2007 9:06 pm
If only it was as smooth as all the rest. Crossing borders? ?No problem. Canadian Customs , no problem

Quebec SAAQ, big problem. (SAAQ is where you register the car in Quebec)

I completed my Canadian tire inspection today at 10:45, and drove over to the local SAAQ and had ALL the papers filled out and ready. However, apparently, the SAAQ needs to "validate" your 2008 car by faxing papers to Quebec City and then you have to wait 2-3 hours before they "approve".

I mentioned to the woman that this wasn't documented anywhere and I don't think there is such a policy, but that was futile. I wasn't able to do anything but wait. After a few hours they phoned back to say that they forgot to fax 1 paper to them, could I come back and provide a copy and then they could send that for "authorization". So I went and then had to wait a few more hours, and then the call came that it was "approved".

Got all the paperwork done, but I wasn't prepared for the fact that the SAAQ takes your title away from you. Yup, its gone to be stored in some file cabinet somewhere, without a clear picture that I can ever get it back.

So whereas the entire car purchase took 12 hours (driving from Montreal to Xan and crossing the border etc etc etc), today took 8 hours all locally. Very frustrating.

The same had happened to me at the SAAQ in Laval. In my case, it wasn't such a big deal since I had forgotten my cheques to pay the QST so I had to go back home to get them. When I got back it was accepted. I think they check the VIN in some database somewhere. The insurance copmany did the same thing. It took them 2 days to approve.

But you are right that this is not documented anywhere.

There's a reason why bureaucracy is a french word!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1347 posts
162 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
eastsidesubaru wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2007 4:05 am
I might as well get as many up the border as I can while it lasts, eh?
Is it true?

Zach said EH?
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2004
1171 posts
167 upvotes
Montreal
dotcalamitie wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2007 10:22 pm
I was talking to a guy today and he said that he would rather pay the extra $12,000 to get a Tribeca in Canada because of the warranty. How weak many Canadians are... There was a time - in fact it will probably come back again - when one year warranty was standard.
Did you tell him that the US Tribeca HAS a warranty? He gets a refund for warranty work.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1347 posts
162 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Snocow wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2007 8:28 am
Have a look at the number of USA Dealer ads in the Toronto Star Wheels section. Things are heating up!
It's a matter of time before the Canadian manufacturers complain to the paper and threaten to pull their advertising bucks.

Wait, that would be a good thing.

Only US advertisers would be included in the paper so EVERYONE will buy in the US.

Forget I said anything...

Based on the October Canadian sales results, it never ceases to amaze me the number of sheep that still insist on buying in Canada. I'm not sure those numbers are accurate anyway. Some consumers actually believe they're supporting the local economy!

I noticed that Chrysler is saying they've dropped prices to reflect the strong Canadian dollar. Sadly they're comparing US MSRP with Canadian MSRP. They also neglected to include the 4% price differential.

I guess it's how you present the numbers.

If I have time, I will do my own comparison on the "300" that was featured in the news.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

BloomCounty