Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Oct 21, 2007
100 posts
2 upvotes
[quote="the Bez" post_id="5953958" time="1195506835" user_id="124420"]Thanks to Matty for the original format. I just did some wordsmithing and changed a few things but here is my letter sent to my MP and Minister Cannon:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Mr. Lake & Minister Cannon,

I reside in the constituency of Edmonton-Millwoods-Beaumont, and I want to express my feelings of outrage at automobile manufacturers, regarding the price discrepancy between cars in Canada and those in the US. You know how much this has been in the news recently, and it won
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1347 posts
160 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
jrvic wrote:
Nov 19th, 2007 5:54 pm
I know this topic has been discussed before, but I can't seem to find it. The question is would Canada custom process my US car import without US export documentation?
Maybe those already sucessfully imported their car can answer this. Did Canada custom officers ask to see export document stamped by US counter part?

Thanks in advance for your input
I was asked to show my Export documentation.

But then again, I imported my car months ago when no one knew about this and the agents were thorough.

Now they're so busy, I doubt they have time to check.

Remember that your vehicle hasn't been properly exported from the US and a simple audit could get you into trouble.
I've been on RFDs for over a decade. My award-winning thread from 2006 is still going strong and one of the most popular on this site!
Dec 8, 2002
969 posts
219 upvotes
I just got home from Manchester after picking up my 2008 Tribeca 5 Seat Limited from Jack @ Manchester Subaru! I'll post pics later tonight with Jack and I

Thanks Monsieurmaggot for starting this thread and everyone on RFD that's contributed to it! The import process so far has been easier than I thought it would have been!

Off to RIV, CT & MTO tomorrow!
Dec 24, 2002
26 posts
2 upvotes
jrvic wrote:
I know this topic has been discussed before, but I can't seem to find it. The question is would Canada custom process my US car import without US export documentation?
Maybe those already sucessfully imported their car can answer this. Did Canada custom officers ask to see export document stamped by US counter part?

Thanks in advance for your input
Interestingly enough I didn't even have the original title (6 month old 2007 Outback LTD) as the dealership was selling it on behalf of Hertz. All I had was a fax copy that you couldn't even read the VIN when I entered US customs and all the guy said was "that should be enough for me to find it" ... and he went out back to get the copies of the couriered documents the dealer had couriered 5 days earlier. We went outside ... he looked at the VIN on the vehicle, and handed me all the copies he had ... already with a stamp on it.

When I got to Canada Customs I pointed out I didn't have the original title document however US Customs stamped the copy ... I'm not sure the Canadian guys even looked at it. In looking at my RIV Form 1 now and there isn't anything to check off to say they saw any export stamp. I know I didn't answer your questions 100% ... but just passing on my experience :lol:

Had a great experience at the dealership and expecting the original title via courier any day now.
Oct 20, 2007
6 posts
Luds wrote:
Nov 19th, 2007 12:43 pm
Here's my letter to my MP (for members with French speaking MPs)

Merci Luds.
That is a well written letter and I'd be interested in hearing if you ever get a response.
Nov 7, 2007
23 posts
Edmonton
Dreyfus wrote:
Nov 19th, 2007 6:03 pm
Very good points in your letter. I would have one tiny quibble and that is that CMVSS114 must be rewritten to accept FMVSS114 (US) as a conforming standard. Prior to Sept. 01 2007 CMVSS114 did accept FMVSS114 as a conforming standard. The Liberals blundered in 2003-2004 when they wrote a standard that did not accept FMVSS114 as conforming, Today the opposition parties (Dion, Duceppe, Laycock) are keeping a low profile on this issue so that they have something to hit the Conservatives over the head with in the coming election campaign. Lawrence Cannon is inexperienced and does not know how to direct the bureaucrats in TC. What he has to do is issue a directive to his Deputy Minister instructing him to rewrite CMVSS114 so that FMVSS114 becomes a conforming standard. With the rewrite in hand he takes it with supporting documentation to Privy Council so that they can issue an "order in council" putting the newly amended CMVSS114 into effect. Publish it in the Canada Gazette and we are off to the races. Transport handed $3,000 to $40,000 per car to the mfrs on a silver platter surrounded by cherry tomatoes and parsley on Sept. 01 2007. Time to take the platter back any person of normal intelligence in the Minister's chair should have no difficulties. The mfrs are simply enjoying a gift from TC.
I haven't done much research into the differences between the 2 specs but I thought that the immobilizers that are installed on both US and Canadian cars (at least prior to Sept 1, 2007) were generally built in accordance with FMVSS 114 even though the immobilizers are not a requirement in the US. I thought that with Canada now going with CMVSS 114 that this revised standard is MORE stringent than the FMVSS one. Is this not correct?

At the end of the day, it's still not clear to me why the immobilizers suddenly make the cars inadmissable when the DRL, bumpers and child safety restraints can be remedied during the 45 day window after importation. Who makes this call? Is it written within CMVSS 114?
Nov 13, 2007
4 posts
Victoria
jrvic wrote:
I exported/imported a vehicle in 2006 and no one in Canada seemed interested in whether or not the vehicle had been exported from the US.

I'm in the process of bringing another vehicle up and thought about not exporting it, but aside from the hassle of the 72 hour wait, there is absolutely no problem with exporting from the US.

I would advise doing everything by the letter. Dot all your i's and cross all your t's and you won't have any problems.
Oct 3, 2007
82 posts
Toronto
eastsidesubaru wrote:
Nov 18th, 2007 11:31 pm
Actually that is nice and easy on the engine. Just do not LOCK IN your speed. But start/stop, stop and go, onramp acceleration, etc is what is hardest on the engine.
Rules for Subaru break in = super easy.
1. keep it under 4000rpm for the first 1000 miles
2. don't go the same speed for more than 15 minutes... in other words, don't use cruise on 75 for the whole trip. cruise at 65, then 70, then 75, then 65, then 70, etc changing it every 15 minutes if you have to use cruise, otherwise, you should naturally vary the speed enough just driving normal.
Thank you eastsidesubaru and others for the info.
Dec 8, 2002
969 posts
219 upvotes
fulrach wrote:
Nov 19th, 2007 6:27 pm
I just got home from Manchester after picking up my 2008 Tribeca 5 Seat Limited from Jack @ Manchester Subaru! I'll post pics later tonight with Jack and I

Thanks Monsieurmaggot for starting this thread and everyone on RFD that's contributed to it! The import process so far has been easier than I thought it would have been!

Off to RIV, CT & MTO tomorrow!

Here's the pics! - Diamond Black Pearl

[IMG]http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/2079/dscf7946gk4.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/9445/dscf7949rx2.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/1472/dscf7958tj4.jpg[/IMG]

3 - Canadians who picked up Tribeca's from Jack @ Manchester Subaru on Sunday (Jack is 2nd from left in blue jacket)
Nov 16, 2007
24 posts
Lake Country, BC
Thanks very much Matty. Your updates sound great!

Merci beaucoup to Luds aussi!
Nov 11, 2007
123 posts
27 upvotes
Hi everyone,

I want to start saying that this thread is unique in the sense that it took me months to finally post for the first time. Not due to the lack of interest but because the first buyers were the pioneers that started this movement and we were just absorbing the info. Now I am ready to buy in the US and become part of the wave of change. Although i haven't posted before I have told all my friends and since buying in the US is not for everybody they all listened and a friend in TO is about to buy an outback ( he has a legacy now)

I am ready to join the Subaru club and I am looking to buy either an Outback 2.5i because of the manual Transmission or the 2.5i Limited with VDC

I am calling for the help of Subaru outback buyers in the GTA.
Where are the best prices: in Buffalo or Manchester, is it worth the extra distance?
Northwest, Van Bortel, Manchester?
Could you send me the contact names?
I hear about names like XAN and Ken etc. etc. but after so many posts everything is blurry.
Could you send me some contact names to start getting quotes?
All those who did your own homework. can you tell me where are the best deals?
I am trying to get it before Dec 03 which is when the latest cash rebates expire.

Finally: what is the best way to pay.
bank wire- and send the money before pick up? sound risky to me.
Certified cheque: and declare at the border, any cons?

Thank you all in advance, for the great job.

as my name implies:
The NAFTA will provide, it's the law!

If we break the law, we go to Jail; if Honda Toyota et al break the law they make money on Canadians???
Oct 21, 2007
100 posts
2 upvotes
the Bez wrote:
Nov 19th, 2007 7:18 pm
I haven't done much research into the differences between the 2 specs but I thought that the immobilizers that are installed on both US and Canadian cars (at least prior to Sept 1, 2007) were generally built in accordance with FMVSS 114 even though the immobilizers are not a requirement in the US. I thought that with Canada now going with CMVSS 114 that this revised standard is MORE stringent than the FMVSS one. Is this not correct?

At the end of the day, it's still not clear to me why the immobilizers suddenly make the cars inadmissable when the DRL, bumpers and child safety restraints can be remedied during the 45 day window after importation. Who makes this call? Is it written within CMVSS 114?
In broad terms CMVSS114 and FMVSS114 were equivalent standards prior to Sept. 1 2007. The implementation could be quite different in that one could cut off the fuel pump, another one could cut the ignition and so on. The end result was immobilization. The tamper aspect was similar one could hide it under a panel attached to the firewall another could put it in a frame member. The new amended CMVSS114 replaced both the old CMVSS114 and FMVSS114 with a United Nations standard that bears little resemblance to the old Canadian/US standard. The theory was that there is a "world market" for cars produced in Canada and the US would recognize this and adopt UN standard and we would be compatible. In the first place NAFTA cars have no appeal outside of NAFTA, in the second as far as the US is concerned they rule the world and everybody else should conform. Since the US represents 90% of the auto market in NAFTA it makes no sense for the 10% player (Canada) to have incompatible standards. All three standards immobilize and are 'tamper proof". In the studies done in 2003 and since, thefts have been reduced by 50% on "theft deterrent" equipped cars, the recovery rate dropped dramatically because the skilled thieves were chopping for parts or sending containers overseas. Only the amateurs were deterred. We have a well developed theft education system 1) Detention centres
2) Provincial jails 3) Federal penitentiaries 4) With doctorates being won at the highest levels near Kingston. A single standard will make the learning process easier, hence IBC wanting home grown after market solutions that can react to the changing circumstances. The cost to implement the new CMVSS114 was estimated to be $32 per car. We are now paying $3k to $40k per car because of the amateurish way the Liberals handled this during the public consultation period 2003-2004 and the Conservatives having been out of power for over a decade either don't care or don't know how to rectify the problem.
Nov 7, 2007
27 posts
Gatineau, QC
eipod wrote:
Nov 19th, 2007 7:09 pm
Merci Luds.
That is a well written letter and I'd be interested in hearing if you ever get a response.
davehender wrote:
Nov 19th, 2007 8:23 pm
Thanks very much Matty. Your updates sound great!

Merci beaucoup to Luds also!
Forgot a few typos in there and a few words are missing :confused:
Nov 7, 2007
27 posts
Gatineau, QC
All right folks, I've been negociating for a while with a few dealers, I was wondering what kind of price I should expect to pay.

The MSRP for the fully loaded 3.5 Premium SE Altima Coupe with Nav package is $31,755.

How much should I expect to pay?
Sep 10, 2006
178 posts
6 upvotes
Amazing vehicle ...

Subie rocks ...
fulrach wrote:
Nov 19th, 2007 7:46 pm
Here's the pics! - Diamond Black Pearl

[IMG]http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/2079/dscf7946gk4.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/9445/dscf7949rx2.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/1472/dscf7958tj4.jpg[/IMG]

3 - Canadians who picked up Tribeca's from Jack @ Manchester Subaru on Sunday (Jack is 2nd from left in blue jacket)