Ongoing Deal Discussion

Always

WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2007
1033 posts
134 upvotes
I am buying a car out of New Jersey and having it shipped out of state. It's a used car (2009).
Do I pay NJ state sales tax? Or can I get an exemption? Is there even NJ state on a USED car? Do you pay it upon purchase, or upon registration ?

Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7430 posts
4677 upvotes
Ottawa
jontfl wrote: I just imported a 2010 5 Series 2 weeks ago, got on a business trip after that. Spent a Saturday on the remaining procedure and finished everything in one day. I used a guy ( just do a search on internet with BMW & unityauto ) to get the clearance letter. I bought my car with a US dealer, and I tried to call several US dealers including BMW US , none of them was willing to give me the Vehicle Warranty Inquiry which RIV also accepts. But the guy at unity auto provided the canadian clearance letter for $375.

My car has DRL configurable, 0 modification needed to pass RIV inspection. Even if it's not configurable, the dealer said he would do it for me without any charge. You can get DRL done for $100 here in Toronto with a reputable garage.

DRL is simply an ON/OFF option in 2010. I suspect it must be the same in 2008 models. Just make sure you configure it as ON for your profile before going to CT for the RIV inspection.
The only issue is that I believe if you don't have BMW Canada do all the work, they will not honor the warranty. (also technically you shouldn't have passed the RIV inspection if DRL is configurable but they don't really know any better so that's no biggie).
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1356 posts
220 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I'm told that some US Lexus dealers are now emailing Canadian consumers who were originally denied a new vehicle purchase.

They are "motivated" to sell.

Interesting change of heart.

Curious to see if it's a pitch to sell used or demo. units.

If anyone can confirm, please post a confirmation. Please don't say who they are. PM me if you want to tell me.

Be weary of anyone will less than a dozen posts or that have recently joined.

A few RFDers inadvertently provided the dealer details to corporate moles.
I've been on RFDs for over a decade. My award-winning thread from 2006 is still going strong and one of the most popular on this site!
Dec 6, 2007
56 posts
Regina, SK
Well I have started my process.

I just put a deposit down on a 2008 infiniti fx35 from minneapolis.

I also just got a inspection ordered, so hopefully things will go well.

Thanks to everyone on this forum for being very helpful.

I will post updates as they happen with regards to the process.
Aug 31, 2007
3 posts
Toronto
Albertan wrote: I am buying a car out of New Jersey and having it shipped out of state. It's a used car (2009).
Do I pay NJ state sales tax? Or can I get an exemption? Is there even NJ state on a USED car? Do you pay it upon purchase, or upon registration ?

Thanks!
I know many states won't charge you the state tax if you are exporting. The dealer will be able to tell you that. In cases that I know, none of them was charged state tax in the bill of sale.
Nov 6, 2006
217 posts
32 upvotes
Kaabik wrote: Well I have started my process.

I just put a deposit down on a 2008 infiniti fx35 from minneapolis.

I also just got a inspection ordered, so hopefully things will go well.

Thanks to everyone on this forum for being very helpful.

I will post updates as they happen with regards to the process.
nice, what price did you end up paying for it?
May 30, 2006
296 posts
13 upvotes
I tried to search but the keyword is to short..

who did use XE.com for their payment..??

How did it worked ??

What did You used; wire transfer, something else ??

What was the fees, etc ??

An answer would be appreciated as my bank charged 3% more than actual rate and have a +/- 200$ fee....

Thanks in advance
Jun 28, 2007
126 posts
13 upvotes
ziploc wrote: I tried to search but the keyword is to short..

How did it worked ??

An answer would be appreciated as my bank charged 3% more than actual rate and have a +/- 200$ fee....

Thanks in advance
I took a bank draft, both times. Latest was with VanBortel earlier this year, and they prefer a draft (no deposit, just take the draft when you go to pick up the car). Previous was with a Toyota dealer further south, and they were slow in getting banking info to me for a wire transfer, so I went down with a draft. Took them awhile to understand that a Canadian draft is safe -- they phoned my bank, who immedaitely faxed them a letter stating the Bank guarantees the draft and the $$ was already out of my a/c.

A draft costs me $5.

It's the FX fee that hurts. Best if you have a US $ a/c, and can monitor rates before making the switch. For a new car, you should be able to get less than 1% FX fee from your bank (and better with XE or others). I've been under 1% both times with my bank (for >25K). I remember someone on RedFlag talking about getting about a 0.5% fee (his firm did big FX exchanges, so he was able to get a special deal).
May 30, 2006
296 posts
13 upvotes
rgc97 wrote: I took a bank draft, both times. Latest was with VanBortel earlier this year, and they prefer a draft (no deposit, just take the draft when you go to pick up the car). Previous was with a Toyota dealer further south, and they were slow in getting banking info to me for a wire transfer, so I went down with a draft. Took them awhile to understand that a Canadian draft is safe -- they phoned my bank, who immedaitely faxed them a letter stating the Bank guarantees the draft and the $$ was already out of my a/c.

A draft costs me $5.

It's the FX fee that hurts. Best if you have a US $ a/c, and can monitor rates before making the switch. For a new car, you should be able to get less than 1% FX fee from your bank (and better with XE or others). I've been under 1% both times with my bank (for >25K). I remember someone on RedFlag talking about getting about a 0.5% fee (his firm did big FX exchanges, so he was able to get a special deal).
Thx for reply, it's appreciated even I'm some how familiar with the procedure

I already purchased 2 cars in US...and used a wire transfer...FX fees and bank fees as I stated...

I though about bank draft but the car is in Florida..and it will be shipped out..
maybe I can fedex it...will see...
for me the simplest way would be the wire transfer...but here again the fees...
that's why I might use XE.com...

I wanted some feedback from people who did use it....to understand how it works and what was the fees...
Nov 18, 2007
122 posts
3 upvotes
Windsor
ziploc wrote: I tried to search but the keyword is to short..

How did it worked ??

Thanks in advance
I have used them 2x. Their fee depends on how $ you transfer, but it will probably be around 0.75 cents above the trading value on the market. They revise market rates every 20 seconds or so, basically real time. It is much cheaper than any bank. There is no fee beyond the amount added to the actual exchange rate. I wired them money and they wired it to a US car dealer in case 1 and back into another of my bank accounts in case 2. It takes time to set up an acount so do not leave it to the last day.
May 30, 2006
296 posts
13 upvotes
zircon wrote: I have used them 2x. Their fee depends on how $ you transfer, but it will probably be around 0.75 cents above the trading value on the market. They revise market rates every 20 seconds or so, basically real time. It is much cheaper than any bank. There is no fee beyond the amount added to the actual exchange rate. I wired them money and they wired it to a US car dealer in case 1 and back into another of my bank accounts in case 2. It takes time to set up an acount so do not leave it to the last day.
Thank You for the reply,

can you tell me how long did it took for the case 1 ??

From Your transfer to the dealer having money in his account ??

And how long did it took to open an account with them ??

Thx in advance for help...appreciated
Dec 6, 2007
56 posts
Regina, SK
Deadlock91 wrote: nice, what price did you end up paying for it?
The price i have at the moment is 27,900 for a 08 fx35 with sport/tech/touring/blue tooth.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 22, 2007
9452 posts
11810 upvotes
Calgary
nice price. Too bad them audi q5's cost so much even in the US.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2007
1033 posts
134 upvotes
Hi everyone,

I am buying a car i found on ebay from a dealer with 100% feedback, but i got him to agree to a lower price, off ebay. I believe they want a bank draft or wire - is there any way to protect myself using this method? I am reasonably certain it's all above board, as they have 329+ feedback on ebay and 100% feedback, but still...
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1356 posts
220 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Albertan wrote: Hi everyone,

I am buying a car i found on ebay from a dealer with 100% feedback, but i got him to agree to a lower price, off ebay. I believe they want a bank draft or wire - is there any way to protect myself using this method? I am reasonably certain it's all above board, as they have 329+ feedback on ebay and 100% feedback, but still...
i've received emails from people who've used third party (legitimate) companies that offer eBay escrow services.

For any eBay purchase over $5000 it makes sense to use this service.
I've been on RFDs for over a decade. My award-winning thread from 2006 is still going strong and one of the most popular on this site!
Sep 10, 2002
349 posts
37 upvotes
Vancouver
If there's a motorcycle I'd like to purchase in California, does it need to be shipped across the border with a broker to qualify for state tax exemption (even for private sales)?

Since the owner lives in Cali, I can't just have it shipped to Washington State and expect to get out of paying the Cali taxes, correct?

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/wow-new- ... ost7015277
Nov 28, 2007
173 posts
8 upvotes
Kelowna
KillaB wrote: If there's a motorcycle I'd like to purchase in California, does it need to be shipped across the border with a broker to qualify for state tax exemption (even for private sales)?

Since the owner lives in Cali, I can't just have it shipped to Washington State and expect to get out of paying the Cali taxes, correct?

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/wow-new- ... ost7015277
To legally avoid paying California sales tax, you must take delivery of the vehicle outside California. - i.e. Nevada or Oregon are the closest states. There is no need to have a broker involved. Have the vendor either drive it or ship it to the Nevada or Oregon border where you can take delivery.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7430 posts
4677 upvotes
Ottawa
KillaB wrote: If there's a motorcycle I'd like to purchase in California, does it need to be shipped across the border with a broker to qualify for state tax exemption (even for private sales)?
I believe that for private sale it's a non-issue (the vendor isn't going to collect the tax). The only issue is that I suspect you would not be able to get a temp permit unless you go to the DMV and pay the taxes.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)