Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

May 30, 2006
296 posts
12 upvotes
Does someone know what's the procedure for a car US plated and already in Canada...???

I know few Americans working on contract in Canada and they live in here...

If I want to buy a car from them...

1- Do I have to go trough RIV...I supposed yes...but not sure...
2- Do I have to go trough Canadian Customs...and pay GST ???? I'm not sure..
3- Do I have to go trough provincial inspection....I'm sure yes....

Someone knows for sure ??

thx
Oct 7, 2007
342 posts
25 upvotes
ziploc wrote:
Apr 26th, 2008 9:46 am
Does someone know what's the procedure for a car US plated and already in Canada...???

I know few Americans working on contract in Canada and they live in here...

If I want to buy a car from them...

1- Do I have to go trough RIV...I supposed yes...but not sure...
2- Do I have to go trough Canadian Customs...and pay GST ???? I'm not sure..
3- Do I have to go trough provincial inspection....I'm sure yes....

Someone knows for sure ??
If it has US plates, you have to go through the entire procedure, including driving it down to the border and properly export/import it. You must pay GST/import/inspection fees. There are no shortcuts.
Oct 7, 2007
342 posts
25 upvotes
Debonair wrote:
Apr 25th, 2008 3:42 pm
Has anyone imported a Civic from the states? They look to be a lot cheaper than here in Canada (13,644 for the base model!) and if anyone can answer any of my questions I would appreciate it greatly!

Is this vehicle imported or made in US/CA?
Does the warrently qualify?
Will I be able to get below invoice? How much?
When is the best time to buy? Fall/Summer?

Thank you!! :cheesygri
I imported 3 weeks ago. For starters, good luck finding the base model, they are just a draw to get people into dealerships. The lowest trim most dealers have is the LX.

I could not find a car below invoice. Civics are very hot right now, so Honda is not offering a lot of incentives on them. The best I could do was 17,700 out the door. You will pay close to 19000 after GST and fees.

Also, you must get a North America-made Civic or face the wrath of 6.1% duty at the border.

Not warranty in Canada, but hey, it's a Honda. Make sure you check the car out before you drop the cash, though. I saw a brand new car on the lot that had damage.

The best time to buy is generally February or March, or at the end of a model year, provided the car is not in demand. But with gas prices the way they are, I confidently doubt you will do more than a couple hundred dollars better than me.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
4616 posts
677 upvotes
SK
donjuancarlos wrote:
Apr 26th, 2008 11:17 am
I imported 3 weeks ago. For starters, good luck finding the base model, they are just a draw to get people into dealerships. The lowest trim most dealers have is the LX.

I could not find a car below invoice. Civics are very hot right now, so Honda is not offering a lot of incentives on them. The best I could do was 17,700 out the door. You will pay close to 19000 after GST and fees.

Also, you must get a North America-made Civic or face the wrath of 6.1% duty at the border.

Not warranty in Canada, but hey, it's a Honda. Make sure you check the car out before you drop the cash, though. I saw a brand new car on the lot that had damage.

The best time to buy is generally February or March, or at the end of a model year, provided the car is not in demand. But with gas prices the way they are, I confidently doubt you will do more than a couple hundred dollars better than me.
Aren't all Civics sold in North America either built in Ontario or Ohio?
shopper-X
Nov 16, 2007
185 posts
13 upvotes
Duncan
Swiguy wrote:
Apr 25th, 2008 11:23 am
I've done some searching in this thread but I can't find too much info on importing VWs into Canada. I'm interested in seeing if an 07 GTI is worth importing to Canada (from Michigan or NY). Anyone have any experience doing this? If so, any dealers I should get in touch with?
I, too, am interested in importing a VW, in my case the new TDI Sportswagen which is supposed to be available late summer or early fall. Here are the results of my initial research.

Comparing the vw.ca and vw.com sites, the existing base Jetta is $5000 cheaper in the States. The wagons are being produced in NA, so no 6.1% duty. No pricing on vw.com for the wagons, yet. However initial media reports suggest the same or bigger price spread, especially with the more optioned models. So VW Canada still has a way to go before they'll get my business.

There is a thread on importing a 2007 VW GTI at http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28928
According to that thread and confirmed by other websites, the warranty is transferable. However, VW does not want the American dealers to sell to Canadians so a USA address is required. If you don't have one of those, a workaround is find a dealer who will register it first and then sell it to you. That way it's classified as a used vehicle.
Banned
Jul 14, 2007
441 posts
409 upvotes
derslade wrote:
Apr 26th, 2008 1:15 pm
I, too, am interested in importing a VW, in my case the new TDI Sportswagen which is supposed to be available late summer or early fall.
Note that 2009 MY VWs from the States will not have a warranty here in Canada. So says apa.ca, anyhow.

With a sustantially new engine, it might be a bit of a risk. However, with $5000 savings you could probably install a whole new engine in the worst case.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2002
1316 posts
61 upvotes
Ottawa
Well, add me to the list of successful vehicle importers. Brought over an '06 wrx limited last week, and got it plated yesterday. I would never have been able to afford this car here!!
Nov 16, 2007
185 posts
13 upvotes
Duncan
DrXenon wrote:
Apr 26th, 2008 1:53 pm
Note that 2009 MY VWs from the States will not have a warranty here in Canada. So says apa.ca, anyhow.

With a sustantially new engine, it might be a bit of a risk. However, with $5000 savings you could probably install a whole new engine in the worst case.
Hmm, do you have a link to that info? The TDI drivetrains are the same here and in the States according to what I've read.

You're right about the price difference paying for the worst case scenario. However, like most Canadians, I live a short distance from the US border, so a quick trip across for scheduled maintenance will also let me pick up great deals on other items that are cheaper in the States. A win-win for me and other Canadians willing to do a bit of research. When will the Canadian manufacturers wake-up and realize NAFTA can work for consumers as well?

Found the link at the apa.ca website. It is http://www.apa.ca/template.asp?DocID=253#VOLKSWAGEN
Nov 16, 2007
185 posts
13 upvotes
Duncan
derslade wrote:
Apr 26th, 2008 2:51 pm
Found the link at the apa.ca website. It is http://www.apa.ca/template.asp?DocID=253#VOLKSWAGEN
Found a possible reason for the policy change on the warranty. They've reduced the coverage to three years/36 000 miles, and added no charge scheduled maintenance. Sounds like another area where the Canadian manufacturer can't compete.

Details at http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showt ... ost1992841
Banned
Jul 14, 2007
441 posts
409 upvotes
derslade wrote:
Apr 26th, 2008 2:51 pm
Like most Canadians, I live a short distance from the US border, so a quick trip across will also let me pick up great deals on other items that are cheaper in the States.
Do you mean that you think if you return to an American dealer, you'll be able to get warranty service? I'd verify that with VW before buying. Let us know what you find out if you look into it further.
Jan 19, 2005
619 posts
London
So after doing some research into hatchbacks... I think I've finally made up my mind as to what I'm going to get.... I'm getting an Audi A3 for hopefully around $22-23k (06 or 07). Anyone have any luck buying used Audi's from any of the Michigan or NY dealers?
My Feedback
~~~~~~~~
eBay
RFD BST
Nov 16, 2007
185 posts
13 upvotes
Duncan
DrXenon wrote:
Apr 26th, 2008 4:32 pm
Do you mean that you think if you return to an American dealer, you'll be able to get warranty service? I'd verify that with VW before buying. Let us know what you find out if you look into it further.
Why wouldn't they provide warranty service?

You bought the vehicle from them with a Canadian address.

They'll also provide you service, if only to keep you coming back the next time -- not to mention the word of mouth sales they'll get from supporting you.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2007
1342 posts
14 upvotes
derslade wrote:
Apr 26th, 2008 10:09 pm
Why wouldn't they provide warranty service?

You bought the vehicle from them with a Canadian address.

They'll also provide you service, if only to keep you coming back the next time -- not to mention the word of mouth sales they'll get from supporting you.
I can't speak for VW but Subaru of America provides warranty coverage for US vehicles sold to Canadians. No idea how the original poster could come to any other conclusion.
Banned
Jul 14, 2007
441 posts
409 upvotes
nornet wrote:
Apr 27th, 2008 12:40 pm
I can't speak for VW but Subaru of America provides warranty coverage for US vehicles sold to Canadians. No idea how the original poster could come to any other conclusion.
Well. you could come to a different conclusion by, say, researching it on apa.ca. More than a few manufacturers, including VW (which is the manufacturer we were discussing) and Honda, will not pay for warranty service for cars registered in jurisdictions outside the USA. Subaru and Toyota are exceptions.
Dec 30, 2007
40 posts
DrXenon wrote:
Apr 27th, 2008 3:00 pm
Well. you could come to a different conclusion by, say, researching it on apa.ca. More than a few manufacturers, including VW (which is the manufacturer we were discussing) and Honda, will not pay for warranty service for cars registered in jurisdictions outside the USA. Subaru and Toyota are exceptions.
Most manufacturers are beginning to look at US made vehicles sold to Canadians as "gray market" cars and as a result will not honour the warranty in either country. Some claim to be able to return to the US dealership and have the work done, but I always recommend to my customers that you assume zero warranty on those vehicles. As the above noted, there are exceptions.

VW seems to be the latest to take this step. No surprise, but some disappointment.

Take care