Ongoing Deal Discussion

Always

WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2006
1794 posts
338 upvotes
Toronto
Has anyone else received a letter from the ministry of revenue after purchasing a US vehicle through private sale? I received my canadian certification from the riv yesterday. Today I received a letter from ministry of revenue asking for confirmation of purchase price, casual short form entry (not sure what this is), customs and excise declaration form, and duty and excise taxes.
If anyone knows what the excise tax and salual short form entry I'd appreciate some information.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2003
5265 posts
1623 upvotes
SK
jindogae wrote: Has anyone else received a letter from the ministry of revenue after purchasing a US vehicle through private sale? I received my canadian certification from the riv yesterday. Today I received a letter from ministry of revenue asking for confirmation of purchase price, casual short form entry (not sure what this is), customs and excise declaration form, and duty and excise taxes.
If anyone knows what the excise tax and salual short form entry I'd appreciate some information.
Probably got randomly selected to prove the price you declared is the price you actually paid. If you declared it too low at the border, move to a new country quick! kidding. Just fill out the forms and send it in.
shopper-X
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2002
1321 posts
68 upvotes
Ottawa
Is anyone aware of a Subaru dealership within reasonable driving distance of Ottawa (~8 hours) that still actively deals with Canadian customers?
Nov 18, 2007
122 posts
3 upvotes
Windsor
ziploc wrote: Thank You for the reply,

can you tell me how long did it took for the case 1 ??

From Your transfer to the dealer having money in his account ??

And how long did it took to open an account with them ??

Thx in advance for help...appreciated
First time, I bought 40K US. It took about 4-5 days to get my account set up and cleared to change that amount of money. Once the trade went through, the money was taken from my account ind placed into the US card dealer's in a short time (1 day?).

2nd time I traded more and the XE people made me fill out a series of forms, they contacted by bank to ensure I was who I said I was etc. I found this very frustrating, but they dconsider it due diligence and protective for all involved. Then my bank gave me an incorrect trading code and the payment to my account failed. It took about 3 days to straighten that mess out. I think they billed be $15 for the failed transfer, but I didn't pursue it. They are far more cautious with large amounts.
Dec 6, 2007
56 posts
Regina, SK
well my deal fell threw on the fx35 i was planning on buying. I gave my deposit but sold the car under me while i was waiting for my inspection..

does anyone know of any brokers that would ship the vehicle to saskatchewan, or is out of saskatchewan?
Dec 24, 2009
16 posts
1 upvote
I found a car near Chicago. 2010 Lexus RX 350 premium package $37000. Does anyone know if this is a OK deal?

I am also living in Toronto. I am wondering how people waited for RIV to send you inspection form? Can I get it right after I make RIV payment? I hope to finish import process before July 1st.

many thanks :-0
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2003
5265 posts
1623 upvotes
SK
Kaabik wrote: well my deal fell threw on the fx35 i was planning on buying. I gave my deposit but sold the car under me while i was waiting for my inspection..

does anyone know of any brokers that would ship the vehicle to saskatchewan, or is out of saskatchewan?
You can contact A&A Brokers as well as Canuck Towing in BC if the vehicle is coming from the West coast. I used both of them back in 2007 to have my vehicle shipped to SK from OR. The cost was reasonable ($1500 total for both) but if I were to do it again I would have the vehicle shipped to Minot or Portal ND and drive it across. Shipping is cheaper and no broker.

There are a few eBay sellers that include free shipping if shipped within the main 48 states.
Example: 2005 FX35
shopper-X
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2006
2467 posts
1082 upvotes
GTA
Fox2k wrote: Is anyone aware of a Subaru dealership within reasonable driving distance of Ottawa (~8 hours) that still actively deals with Canadian customers?
Van Bortel just south of Rochester NY

buildyourownsubaru . com
May 3, 2008
16 posts
Charlottetown, PE, C…
Fox2k wrote: Is anyone aware of a Subaru dealership within reasonable driving distance of Ottawa (~8 hours) that still actively deals with Canadian customers?
Subaru of Keene, New Hampshire

www.subaruofkeene.com

bought a tribeca there two years ago and they were great. See Mark Carey...
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1356 posts
220 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Lonewolf1 wrote: Subaru of Keene, New Hampshire

www.subaruofkeene.com

bought a tribeca there two years ago and they were great. See Mark Carey...

I've heard that Manchester Subaru in NH makes the trip worthwhile (though I've never purchased from them). Lots more as you get closer to Buffalo.
I've been on RFDs for over a decade. My award-winning thread from 2006 is still going strong and one of the most popular on this site!
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1356 posts
220 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
jindogae wrote: Has anyone else received a letter from the ministry of revenue after purchasing a US vehicle through private sale? I received my canadian certification from the riv yesterday. Today I received a letter from ministry of revenue asking for confirmation of purchase price, casual short form entry (not sure what this is), customs and excise declaration form, and duty and excise taxes.
It's no big deal. About 20% of all importers from Ontario get the notice.

I did. Simply photocopy the bill of sale and the GST and PST forms and you're all set. Since it happened to me early on, I called their office to ensure I was good. That's when I was given those details.

Apparently they can't audit any more since they are only in the office between 11 and 2. They also take Monday and Friday's off. Naturally I'm just kidding. They're all prepping for the HST.
I've been on RFDs for over a decade. My award-winning thread from 2006 is still going strong and one of the most popular on this site!
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2009
1352 posts
503 upvotes
Ontario
i bit the bullet and purchased my USD. Once it hit $0.965 I figured the time was right - and to avoid some news story about another Eurpean country in trouble, and again watch the loonie tumble to the $0.92 range. We ended up taking a $1050 hit on our purchase.

So when it's all said and done, aside from getting lunch on the way to VanBortel, the car rental (my wife can't get weekday time off or else we'd drive our current car down, and fuel costs) we will end up buying:

2011 Subaru Outback Limited - Green - 2.5i - automatic w/ rear bumper cover, splash guards, rear cargo net and all weather mats. Total cost in CDN: $32,097

It should hopefully arrive before the end of the month.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1356 posts
220 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Excellent!

Congratulations on the savings and welcome to RFD's SUPER SAVER CLUB
Jun 28, 2007
126 posts
13 upvotes
xiaoxiong0607 wrote: I found a car near Chicago. 2010 Lexus RX 350 premium package $37000. Does anyone know if this is a OK deal?

I am also living in Toronto. I am wondering how people waited for RIV to send you inspection form? Can I get it right after I make RIV payment? I hope to finish import process before July 1st.

many thanks :-0
You need to submit your Recall Clearance letter, showing no recalls on the vehicle. But when I imported my new WRX this past March, I did my RIV work on-line Thursday afternoon, faxed the recall clearance letter Friday (about 1pm), then checked my e-mail and they had already sent me the Inspection Form for CTC. Took me 24 hours from crossing the border to having Ontario plates on my car (some people do everything in a day).

Can't provide feedback on your deal. Edmunds is good for seeing what people are paying in the US.
May 23, 2004
433 posts
16 upvotes
Mississauga
rgc97 wrote: You need to submit your Recall Clearance letter, showing no recalls on the vehicle. But when I imported my new WRX this past March, I did my RIV work on-line Thursday afternoon, faxed the recall clearance letter Friday (about 1pm), then checked my e-mail and they had already sent me the Inspection Form for CTC. Took me 24 hours from crossing the border to having Ontario plates on my car (some people do everything in a day).

Can't provide feedback on your deal. Edmunds is good for seeing what people are paying in the US.
Can you take the vehicle to another inspection center? I hate CTC and don't trust them. Can you drive the car home or do you have to trailer it back?
They say technology was supposed to make life easier. Sure had me fooled.
www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=15706
May 30, 2006
296 posts
13 upvotes
zircon wrote: First time, I bought 40K US. It took about 4-5 days to get my account set up and cleared to change that amount of money. Once the trade went through, the money was taken from my account ind placed into the US card dealer's in a short time (1 day?).

2nd time I traded more and the XE people made me fill out a series of forms, they contacted by bank to ensure I was who I said I was etc. I found this very frustrating, but they dconsider it due diligence and protective for all involved. Then my bank gave me an incorrect trading code and the payment to my account failed. It took about 3 days to straighten that mess out. I think they billed be $15 for the failed transfer, but I didn't pursue it. They are far more cautious with large amounts.
Thx for reply...

me to they making me fill out all kind of forms....

it's taking forever......but i guess it's worthwhile.....
Jul 24, 2007
545 posts
1 upvote
Yes, you can take it to another inspection center aside from CTC, as long as it's an RIV-authorized inspection center. Looking up the riv.ca website, I saw there are two RIV-authorized inspection centers in Mississauga:

- Action Trailer Sales Inc.
- Britannia Trailer

Just look up their phone numbers using 411.ca .

You can drive the car home, as long as you have a temporary tag/plates from the state you bought the car.
BUGNUT wrote: Can you take the vehicle to another inspection center? I hate CTC and don't trust them. Can you drive the car home or do you have to trailer it back?
Dec 24, 2009
16 posts
1 upvote
rgc97 wrote: You need to submit your Recall Clearance letter, showing no recalls on the vehicle. But when I imported my new WRX this past March, I did my RIV work on-line Thursday afternoon, faxed the recall clearance letter Friday (about 1pm), then checked my e-mail and they had already sent me the Inspection Form for CTC. Took me 24 hours from crossing the border to having Ontario plates on my car (some people do everything in a day).

Thanks! Do you suggest to pay RIV online or in RIV office instead of to at border? Paying RIV fee at border will cause more delay, right? many thanks
Sep 21, 2008
655 posts
1019 upvotes
Let me begin by saying I'm so impressed with the diligence of some RFD'ers in obtaining accurate and up-to-date information regarding car imports. I'd love to know how many hundreds of thousands (or millions??) of dollars have been saved by canadians thanks in large part to this thread! Not enough ppl thank the creator of this thread and all the regular contributors, so I'll do it on their behalf!

Anyhow, that said, let me continue by saying I'm 100% overwhelmed by how much information is contained in this thread! As such, I'd love some insight on the following:

In a few months, I will be purchasing a used vehicle. I'd like to pay somewhere in the $15,000-$20000 range, and think it's best to buy a car that's 2-4 years old. (though perhaps even this conventional wisdom is incorrect?)

I don't really have any "brand loyalty" and simply want the best bang for my buck. To me, the only thing that really matters is getting the best deal with my hard-earned rupples (typical RFD'er, I suppose).

What makes/models do some of you learned and erudite folks think might suit my needs, *ALL* import issues considered. I hear a lot of talk about subarus in the thread...maybe that's my best bet?

P.S. I live a few hours north of toronto, if that plays a role in determining what/where to buy!

Thanks in advance for any insight!!!
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2009
1352 posts
503 upvotes
Ontario
subaru is brought up a lot, IMO, due to the fact they are a very good manufacturer which have cars made in the US (so no duty) that cost about 25% more to purchase in Canada. The dealers are pretty cool and easy to deal with (especially in Buffalo where you can see the invoice price on their site and pay the invoice price - no hassles).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)