Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Mar 23, 2004
38235 posts
4359 upvotes
Markham
i think we need to start a list of dealers who are willing to sell to canadians, that is like 50% of the road there. Can the op do that pls?
"Between a high, solid wall and an egg that breaks against it, I will always stand on the side of the egg.

Yes, no matter how right the wall may be and how wrong the egg is, I will stand with the egg."

#StandwithHK #5DemandsNot1Less
Nov 18, 2007
122 posts
3 upvotes
Windsor
michelb wrote:
Jun 19th, 2008 1:44 pm
I would assume that you have no warranty at all on a Honda (including returning to the US). If you export a US vehicle to Canada.
Correct. Honda/Acura cancels the warranty on both sides of the border when you export the vehicle. You are on your own. CR-V has excellent quality, so you are unlikely to experience significant expense, but it could happen. Honda/Acura sucks. Great cars, terrible company.
Jul 5, 2003
699 posts
71 upvotes
Mississauga
That is a great idea in principle. But the moment their names are published on a public forum like this, they will face penalties from the manufactures and will likely stop selling to Canadians.
angel_wing0 wrote:
Jun 19th, 2008 10:00 pm
i think we need to start a list of dealers who are willing to sell to canadians, that is like 50% of the road there. Can the op do that pls?
Nov 11, 2007
23 posts
Winnipeg
angel_wing0 wrote:
Jun 19th, 2008 9:35 pm
online petitions NEVER work.
Lie down and let the Federal Government have policies that continue to disadvantage us......is a typical Canadian attitude that results in our being in the mess we are in.

Even if you don't believe it, please add you support.

The regs need to be harmonized. Any other efforts are not going to result in a change that the manufacturers will not have the ability to exploit.

If you are a lobbyist for the auto manufacturers, I guess you are just doing your job screwing Canadian car buyers.
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
5095 posts
4589 upvotes
Montreal
zircon wrote:
Jun 19th, 2008 10:10 pm
Correct. Honda/Acura cancels the warranty on both sides of the border when you export the vehicle. You are on your own. CR-V has excellent quality, so you are unlikely to experience significant expense, but it could happen. Honda/Acura sucks. Great cars, terrible company.
I would be weary of buying any car with no warranty on either side of the border. I'm trying to pull the trigger on a new S2000 CR, but just can't proceed without a full warranty, especially with the very public 3rd gear problems on their 6 speed gearbox found in Civic Si's/Accords/S2000. Even with a warranty owners are being accused of "abusing" the transmission. Is it even legal to be able to sell a brand new car and void the warranty simply for taking it across the border?

Funny though, when the CDN dollars was in the 60 cent range 4 years ago, Honda was not voiding any warranty's when Amercian buyers were exporting Canadian cars. It's eating away at me and it bothers me to no end that within the next few months I'll be in the market for a new car and be so close to an S2000CR but yet so far.

And you're right about Honda. Good cars but customer service is awful. I've owned 3, and whenever I brought my car for ANY warranty work, I was literally put on trial by the service manager and once even by the regional manager. My LCD display on my 2003 Accord stopped working 1200km after my warranty expired and they refused to cover any of the almost 2000 dollar cost, telling me I was more then welcome to try my luck in court. Had to sell the car at a massive discount rather then fix it. Terrible awful sevice. Just be careful, anything can breakdown and repairs are not cheap.

ottofly
Mar 23, 2004
38235 posts
4359 upvotes
Markham
mdbuffy wrote:
Jun 19th, 2008 11:50 pm
Lie down and let the Federal Government have policies that continue to disadvantage us......is a typical Canadian attitude that results in our being in the mess we are in.

Even if you don't believe it, please add you support.

The regs need to be harmonized. Any other efforts are not going to result in a change that the manufacturers will not have the ability to exploit.

If you are a lobbyist for the auto manufacturers, I guess you are just doing your job screwing Canadian car buyers.
dont get me wrong, i support what u are doing, but the method of doing it is wrong. Online petitions NEVER work. Try something else...like putting posters around downtown, queens park or something.
"Between a high, solid wall and an egg that breaks against it, I will always stand on the side of the egg.

Yes, no matter how right the wall may be and how wrong the egg is, I will stand with the egg."

Mar 23, 2004
38235 posts
4359 upvotes
Markham
Genia11 wrote:
Jun 19th, 2008 11:08 pm
That is a great idea in principle. But the moment their names are published on a public forum like this, they will face penalties from the manufactures and will likely stop selling to Canadians.
maybe we should make a list in irc or something...then they wont be able to see it :D

Oct 14, 2007
109 posts
Pierrefonds, Quebec
angel_wing0 wrote:
Jun 20th, 2008 8:44 am
dont get me wrong, i support what u are doing, but the method of doing it is wrong. Online petitions NEVER work. Try something else...like putting posters around downtown, queens park or something.
We support Mr. Buffy's petition, we have one of our own, that is quite similiar, it has been signed by over 3000 supporters all across Canada.

At http://www.carswithoutborders.com/about ... tact-list/
we also have a list key Govt contacts names,email addresses and phone numbers.

We would highly recommend the use of the internet to encourage change. Thousands of Canadians, calling Cannon's office or emailing him is very effective.

At this time we are pushing to have the bumper regulations passed, so that Canadian standards are Harmonized with Europe and the U.S. We need to encourage Canadians to email, write or call the Treasury Board members and Marc Gregoire - Transport Canada Deputy Minister in charge of the regulation change. 613-990-3838.

Transport Canada needs to change and be more receptive to the needs of normal hard working Canadians, rather than pandering to Car Companies...

Canadians need to speak up! We have all the tools you need to do so at www.carswithoutborders.com
Standing Up for Consumers / Fair Automobile Pricing For Canadians
Please visit our site, sign our petition advocating Fair Pricing For Canadians, keep up with the latest import news, join our forum and team of members located all across Canada and 123 countries. All for free.
CarsWithoutBorders.com
http://www.carswithoutborders.com/CWBlogowithwords.jpg
Jan 13, 2005
821 posts
70 upvotes
Montreal
I have heard that you can walk into a canadian honda or subaru dealer and ask for the same price as in the US. provided you pay cash.

This has been confirmed by 1 customer at one honda dealer in Quebec. Even if this is not entirely true IHMO it is worth the try. And if enough people try it, that just might put the idea in the dealers' ears.

Like any offer/supply system, if everybody ask for the same thing, dealers will HAVE to adjust their offers.

Good luck.
Apr 15, 2008
44 posts
1 upvote
I doubt very much that Honda Canada could even come close to matching what dealers in the US are offering.

Example: I could get a new 2008 Accord EX-L 4cyl auto for around $24,000 including destination. In Canada, the retail price is around $32,000 - dealer incentive right now is $2000 plue the markup is approx $1500. Subtracting all of that, the price is around $28500. Any lower and the dealer would start loosing money. Unless Honda offers the dealers some deep discount, its better to buy in the US.

Just my two cents.
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
5095 posts
4589 upvotes
Montreal
KAN wrote:
Jun 20th, 2008 11:26 am
I have heard that you can walk into a canadian honda or subaru dealer and ask for the same price as in the US. provided you pay cash.

This has been confirmed by 1 customer at one honda dealer in Quebec. Even if this is not entirely true IHMO it is worth the try. And if enough people try it, that just might put the idea in the dealers' ears.

Like any offer/supply system, if everybody ask for the same thing, dealers will HAVE to adjust their offers.

Good luck.

I offered 35,000 for a used 2007 S2000 with 5000km on it, a much higher price then a similar US car just to guage the reaction and my offer was promptly laughed at by the salesperson as "grossly inadequate", and that with summer just around the corner the car would "sell quickly". A quick glance on the web, the car is still sitting on the showroom floor.

I then went to another dealer for a 2008 Accord Coupe. Again, I got the "it doesnt work like that in Canada" lecture and was promptly shown a few recent bills of sale for 2008 Accord coupes, including one customer who financed an EX-L 6 speed fitted with 18 inch wheels and a body kit. Final price, 44,600. I almost fainted. He also showed me a couple of 2008 Civic LX with sunroofs that he sold for 25,800 tax incl. He says they got a "deal"

No doubt, with people paying these outrageous prices, we got a looooong way to go to ever get fair pricing here. The battle continues.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2008
4896 posts
811 upvotes
KAN wrote:
Jun 20th, 2008 11:26 am

Good luck.
If you walk into a Cdn Honda or Subaru dealer & ask for the same price as the US, & tell them you're paying cash, you'll get laughed at. Seriously, it's not going to happen.

The dealers actually do know they have a huge problem, but corporate won't listen. Dealers do not really set prices in the sense that they must pay corporate what corporate is asking for, per car. If corporate sells them a car for $45 K, they gotta sell it for more to make profit. Corporate sells that same car to a US dealer for $10 K less, the Cdn dealer just can't compete because their cost is still $45 K.

I'm not trying to paint Cdn dealers like the good guys, but that is the reality they face.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1347 posts
162 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I played that pricing game when I bought my Subaru.

I was paying cash and offered a Canadian dealer $5000 ABOVE my US price just to see if they would bite.

I then went to the Subaru/BMW auto importer there on the Hwy403 in Oakville Ontario (you know who you are) and offered them the same.

Both refused.

The two dealers offered to eat the PDI if I paid cash (total price with taxes would have been close to $60,000 Cdn).

I offered a dealer $51,000++ Cdn. for a similarly equipped Canadian Subaru. I got my car for $29,000++. Go figure.

The importer told me they're already selling the Subaru for $10,000 less than in Canada and couldn't keep them on the lot.

So the answer again: No. Too many idiots (maybe that's a bit harsh: I will say sheep instead) are still buying in Canada.
I've been on RFDs for over a decade. My award-winning thread from 2006 is still going strong and one of the most popular on this site!
Nov 18, 2007
122 posts
3 upvotes
Windsor
Monsieurmaggot wrote:
Jun 20th, 2008 7:17 pm
I played that pricing game when I bought my Subaru.

I was paying cash and offered a Canadian dealer $5000 ABOVE my US price just to see if they would bite.

I then went to the Subaru/BMW auto importer there on the Hwy403 in Oakville Ontario (you know who you are) and offered them the same.

Both refused.

The two dealers offered to eat the PDI if I paid cash (total price with taxes would have been close to $60,000 Cdn).

I offered a dealer $51,000++ Cdn. for a similarly equipped Canadian Subaru. I got my car for $29,000++. Go figure.

The importer told me they're already selling the Subaru for $10,000 less than in Canada and couldn't keep them on the lot.

So the answer again: No. Too many idiots (maybe that's a bit harsh: I will say sheep instead) are still buying in Canada.
I think you were more than fair to these guys. That was quite a US premium you were offering. My neighbour is a Honda dealer and he agrees we're getting screwed. He tells people to write corporate. Of course, it doers no good so long as morons are willing to dispense with 44K for a loaded accord coupe. Crazy. Nice car, but crazy. So, people in Alta, Sask, and BC, cut it out. Stop buying.

Update on a acura tsx I almost bought from a Honda dealer in MN. I asked him from the get go if the car had ever been damaged. Answer was always no. For 26,200 I was going to get a '08 with nav, auto, loaded, with 100 miles (>40K MSRP here). Well, when we were finalizing the deal he mentioned that there may have been a little shipping damage to the roof. I almost lost it as I had asked him 4-5 times the same question. I was pleasant but told him where to go. Twas not impressed he search continues. I have a 04 tsx now, love it, and did not like the many reviews of the redesigned 09 steering. However, I may now wait till the diesel version comes out.
Apr 12, 2008
7 posts
Montreal
Hello everyone,

Well it's been a long time coming but my 2008 Sienna Limited is supposed to arrive in Montreal this coming monday or tuesday, barring any issues with the transport company.

For anyone who had vehicles delivered on trucks (relatively long haul, open flat bed trucks - my van originated in Bethesda Maryland), any tips on what to look for when they drop off the vehicle?

Obviously seeing the vehicle in operation (coming off the truck), confirmation of the VIN# and careful visual inspection of the outside and inside of the vehicle are a given, including manuals / keys.

Anything else I should look for before signing off on the delivery?

Should I take pictures of the vehicle prior to signing anything?

Fingers crossed...

Thanks in advance,

Jeeps