Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

May 3, 2008
16 posts
Charlottetown, PE, C…
Has anyone filled out one of these forms when taking more than 10k into the US? I am wondering if its just a formality. Its required by US Customs and I will need to do it when I pick up my new Tribeca from Keene Subaru in New Hampshire later this month. I will be paying with a bank draft.

http://help.cbp.gov/cgi-bin/customs.cfg ... _topview=1
Feb 14, 2005
825 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
hotgo wrote: If you are buying from a dealer, it will depend on the dealer. In my case, I bought an Outback from VanBortel. In that case I did not hand over a penny (not even a deposit) until I went to pick up the car at which point I paid in full. They had already submitted the paperwork to the border 3 days before I handed anything over.

In the second case, the dealer that I bought my Audi from wanted everything upfront from me... and needless to say I was more than a little worried about paying for the car in full before even seeing it, meeting the dealer, or anything. But I did go through with it and it worked out fine in the end.

Bottom-line is that it will depend entirely on your unique situation.
Thank you!
So, did that dealer send the actual title signed to your name or just a faxed copy plus a bill of sale?
Jul 8, 2008
15 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver
Hi Gents,

Been following the thread diligently for 6 months, and just want to give everyone a quick report of the process and timelines I went through in terms of importing my Subaru Forester 2009.

I spent a few month on the qualifying round in terms of choosing the right vehicle, time may vary for everyone obviously. However, I had a pleasant experience going through various test drive session with all the Canadian car dealers here. My wife and I eventually settled on a 2009 Subaru Forester.

Day 0: Decision on purchase made on Victoria Day (I am based in BC), May 19, 2009.
1. I called a few locations in Seattle for car purchase, the gentlemen at cars101.com, Joe, told me that as of 48 before, he no longer sells to Canadian, as we are a cheap and difficult bunch, always looking for the best deals and try to haggle (Gents, keep in mind and don
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2007
1329 posts
296 upvotes
GVRD
vinko wrote: Hi Gents,

Been following the thread diligently for 6 months, and just want to give everyone a quick report of the process and timelines I went through in terms of importing my Subaru Forester 2009.

I spent a few month on the qualifying round in terms of choosing the right vehicle, time may vary for everyone obviously. However, I had a pleasant experience going through various test drive session with all the Canadian car dealers here. My wife and I eventually settled on a 2009 Subaru Forester.

Day 42 (June 30, 2008)
1. dealer receive funds
2. dealer fax front and back MSO, work order, purchase order to US customs at Pacific crossing
3. obtain 10 day binder for insurance specific to pick up vehicle (Need Vin)
4. lost drivers license at insurance broker

Day 52 (July 9, 20008)
1. go to insurance broker, got temp plate for the 10 day binder (it’s insurance, but not plate)
2. 10 minute inspection, federal inspection is free, but paid for provincial inspection
3. go back to broker, pay PST + ICBC cost (show custom receipt for GST)
4. obtain plate
5. drink beer

Done, cost to me is (Subaru Dealer invoice (25,331$) + Dealer take (750$) + 3 day trip permit WA (33$) + dealer documentation fee ($50) + AC(100$) )x exchange as of July 3(1.0129) x (GST ( 1406.45$)+ PST (1969.11$) + 6.1% custom fees(1611.46) ) + RIV (204.75$) + Provincial Inspection (100$) + gas = 32,019.29$ << 38,166.84$ (all inclusive Canada), total saving is 6,147.55$ or 16%. Thanks to this thread + carburner.com in detailed instructions.

Good luck everyone! With the money I saved, I will contribute it back to the Canadian economy, either towards to wacky Vancouver real estate market (now wackier with the removal of 40 year mortgages), reducing inflation, by forcing car manufacturers in reducing prices, or spending it on oil from the Alberta oil sands. Who says buying American aren&#8217;t patriotic?

Cheers,
Why did you have 2 Insurance Binders?

Once the car is in BC, and if your previous ICBC Insurance Binder and WA license fees had expired, your broker should have provided you with a 1 day Temporary Operating permit (License fee exempt).
Jul 8, 2008
15 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver
chenwaa123 wrote: Why did you have 2 Insurance Binders?

Once the car is in BC, and if your previous ICBC Insurance Binder and WA license fees had expired, your broker should have provided you with a 1 day Temporary Operating permit (License fee exempt).

hi, sorry, for clarification, only 1 binder, but i had to go back for temp plate as you've outlined.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2008
7814 posts
217 upvotes
Lonewolf1 wrote: Has anyone filled out one of these forms when taking more than 10k into the US? I am wondering if its just a formality. Its required by US Customs and I will need to do it when I pick up my new Tribeca from Keene Subaru in New Hampshire later this month. I will be paying with a bank draft.

http://help.cbp.gov/cgi-bin/customs.cfg ... _topview=1
sorry...no forms were filled out by me...just advised had a bank draft as was going to buy a Sienna...he asked to look at it and make sure it was made out to the actually dealership, and not cash
Oct 20, 2003
366 posts
3 upvotes
Waterloo
eljay wrote: Thank you!
So, did that dealer send the actual title signed to your name or just a faxed copy plus a bill of sale?
The dealer actually couriered copies of the paperwork to me, and then I faxed it to the border crossing. The dealer was quite unaware of the export procedure, so we basically agreed that I would take care of all things related to the export.
Jul 16, 2005
305 posts
2 upvotes
Oshawa
HP_John wrote: Just to be fair to Cdn dealers, freight & PDI are fixed costs they must pay, they do not profit off that. It is the manufacturer who decides it. There is no markup from the dealer on freight & PDI.

How the manufacturer determines freight/PDI is they estimate how many of each model they'll sell, & how much it costs to transport them. Then they avg it out, with a markup of course, & charge the same for each model even though some models are built much closer than others. Say model A on avg costs $100 & model B on avg costs $1000 to transport (both models from the same manufacturer). We'll all pay $500 even if we get model A. We are charged frighteningly high freight & PDI costs compared to the US. It does seem unfair.
Not true - Canadian dealers have a hefty markup on pdi. Their $12/hr guy spends 3 hrs on your car, and you spend $800 for this.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2007
1012 posts
19 upvotes
Calgary
Hey guys,

Need some help. My buddy is going to buy a new car in NY state, but the car dealer (subaru) is saying they need to charge state tax on the sale. However, other people's actual experiences seem to indicate he doesn't need to pay this. Who's right? I also looked at that form DTF-803. Does that have to be filled out?

Form here:

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/forms/dtf803_01.pdf

Thanks!!

EDIT: Ok never mind I guess the sales manager knows what he's doing and will make sure there are no taxes. Problem solved.
Aug 11, 2006
9 posts
Hi guys

I'm in the process of getting the car across the border, but having a bit of trouble getting it home.

Bought the car from Massachussets and acording to the dealer they don't have temp plates there, so they delivered for me close to the border.

I went to the MTO to get a temp plate but after a couple of trips back and forth, they say they can't give me a trip permit because the car is not registered with the RIV yet and the comp sytem won't let them issue the permit without that.

The question is this: Can I register the car with RIV before actually crossing the border?

On their website's payment form you need the Form 1 number and a few other bith of info you won't get till you hit customs.

Thanks in advance, I am hoping to bring the car across tomorrow, but would like to avoid having to tow it from the border.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
5336 posts
1102 upvotes
warpdryv wrote: Not true - Canadian dealers have a hefty markup on pdi. Their $12/hr guy spends 3 hrs on your car, and you spend $800 for this.
I must've made a mistake. When I saw invoice costs on Edmunds.com for US cars (I imported), destination invoice was the same as msrp (no markup). Do US customers usually pay for PDI or is it included in destination? (I only got charged destination).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1352 posts
172 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
amovilea wrote: I went to the MTO to get a temp plate but after a couple of trips back and forth, they say they can't give me a trip permit because the car is not registered with the RIV yet and the comp sytem won't let them issue the permit without that.

Seems like the MTO has their share of idiots. I'm guessing that many of the people they hire clearly have no idea of the rules. While I can't say for sure, I'm told most of the MTO offices are actually franchises which explains a lot. I bet most offices hire people at minimum wage.

In any event, I actually called the main MTO number prior to buying my US vehicle and was told that as long as I provide the VIN and proof of ownership, I would be granted one for the 10-day period.

My insurance company also insisted I get one even though I also had one from NY State. Many RFDers have used the US temporary plates exclusively with no problem.

In any event, when I arrived at the MTO the person told me I couldn't get a transit permit for a car that wasn't yet registered to me!

Her supervisor quickly corrected her.

According to the MTO website:

To apply for a permit, take the following items to any ServiceOntario Driver and Vehicle Licence Issuing Office:

a Bill of Sale from the person named on the permit to you;

name of your insurance company and policy number.

Note: The vehicle to which the trip permit will be attached must be insured at the time when the trip permit is issued.

I told the MTO person at their main office I was buying my car in the US and they said the same rules apply.

If in doubt, have the clerk call the MTO "800" support number set up for the licensing office people. That usually resolves the problem fairly quickly.
I've been on RFDs for over a decade. My award-winning thread from 2006 is still going strong and one of the most popular on this site!
Aug 11, 2006
9 posts
Monsieurmaggot wrote: ...

According to the MTO website:

To apply for a permit, take the following items to any ServiceOntario Driver and Vehicle Licence Issuing Office:

a Bill of Sale from the person named on the permit to you;

name of your insurance company and policy number.

Note: The vehicle to which the trip permit will be attached must be insured at the time when the trip permit is issued.

I told the MTO person at their main office I was buying my car in the US and they said the same rules apply.

If in doubt, have the clerk call the MTO "800" support number set up for the licensing office people. That usually resolves the problem fairly quickly.
I showed them the same printout from their website rules. The lady there was really nice and willing to help, but she showed me that when she entered the VIN number she was getting an error in the system, I guess the were trying to cross reference with the RIV and since the VIN is not in there she couldn't proceed any further.

I will try another office tomorrow morning and see if I get the same result.

Problem is I have a bill of Sale with one date and the title with another date (took a few days for the bank wire to clear) and they took issue with the bill of sale being outside the 6 days window, so I'm sure the second office will be just as anal about it.

Don't have american temp plates, the Mass dealer delivered car near border and then took off with the dealer plates, muttered something like MA doesn't allow them to release temp plates for out of state sales.
May 10, 2008
26 posts
montreal
sienna owner wrote: sorry...no forms were filled out by me...just advised had a bank draft as was going to buy a Sienna...he asked to look at it and make sure it was made out to the actually dealership, and not cash
I was told by a New York dealer that he would only accept a cheque from a US bank. Has anyone else had this problem? I dont understand why that would be an issue? I really dont feel like setting up an account at a US bank just to buy a car.

Also what is a standard deposit to make on a car? Is it 500 dollars or 1000?
May 10, 2008
26 posts
montreal
I keep reading posts here talking about insurance binders? Is this really necessary. I understood that once you buy the car then you just tell your insurance company the VIN and they will start insuring you from that point on. So why would you need temporary insurance first and then permanent insurance after..I am confused about this.

If I tell my insurance company that I bought the car in the USA are they going to be bothered by this or do I just tell them the VIN and the type of car and thats it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)