Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Nov 21, 2006
149 posts
Kamloops wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2008 3:05 pm
Just recieved this reply from a Toyota Dealer in California, seems odd they would not be able to get the MSO, other Toyota dealers I have spoken with seem to not have a problem with it. Some just say they cant sell to Canadians but some do.

How would you respond to this

""For you to be able to register it in Canada, you will need an MSO (Manufactures Statement of Origin). This needs to be issued by Toyota. Toyota does not allow us to export cars. Therefore, I would not be able to obtain the MSO, and you would not be able to register it in Canada."
I would tell them that they are capitalist pigs and you do not want to buy their car if it was the last piece of metal on earth.

Seriously, tactics like this piss me right off.

I would honestly try another dealer though. Which dealer is this? Dealers closer to the border are saying all sorts of things to Canadians to get them to stop buying in the US.

Someone from work my just brought in a new Camry from a dealer in Jacksonville Florida. I could PM the information of the dealership to you if you would like.
Nov 21, 2006
149 posts
Sorry I just saw your location and that it was a California dealership.
Florida may be a little too far for you! :o
Mar 1, 2002
725 posts
146 upvotes
Kamloops wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2008 3:05 pm
How would you respond to this

""For you to be able to register it in Canada, you will need an MSO (Manufactures Statement of Origin). This needs to be issued by Toyota. Toyota does not allow us to export cars. Therefore, I would not be able to obtain the MSO, and you would not be able to register it in Canada."
I would call them on this and tell them that the Dealers receive the MSOs on ALL new vehicles whether imported or not. This is provided to every dealer because each new Toyota purchased MUST have an MSO prior to Titling and Licensing in the purchasers State. Thus if I was in Montana and decided to purchase from a California dealer, the dealer must provide me with the MSO for me to title and license the vehicle in Montana. The dealer wouldn't tell me to wait 2 days to complete the purchase while Toyota Corp Fedex's the MSO to the Dealer.

What this California dealer is spewing is crap. I obtained my MSO through the dealer no probs. Anyways, you've done enough importing to know it's crap.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2005
2059 posts
301 upvotes
pulsar wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2008 3:36 pm
I would call them on this and tell them that the Dealers receive the MSOs on ALL new vehicles whether imported or not. This is provided to every dealer because each new Toyota purchased MUST have an MSO prior to Titling and Licensing in the purchasers State. Thus if I was in Montana and decided to purchase from a California dealer, the dealer must provide me with the MSO for me to title and license the vehicle in Montana. The dealer wouldn't tell me to wait 2 days to complete the purchase while Toyota Corp Fedex's the MSO to the Dealer.

What this California dealer is spewing is crap. I obtained my MSO through the dealer no probs. Anyways, you've done enough importing to know it's crap.
I recently bought a new Yamaha FZ6, same thing some dealers said they would not be able to sell to me others were no problem , they had the MSO for me when I arrived. Here is the email reply I got.

Dealer is http://www.toyotaofhb.com/

For you to be able to register it in Canada, you will need an MSO (Manufactures Statement of Origin). This needs to be issued by Toyota. Toyota does not allow us to export cars. Therefore, I would not be able to obtain the MSO, and you would not be able to register it in Canada.

Any other questions, let me know.

Thank you,
Scott Marino
Fleet/Internet Director
Toyota of Huntington Beach
(714) 500-2020 Direct
(714) 321-6430 Cell
(714) 841-9857 FAX
smarino@mytoyota.net
Jul 17, 2007
98 posts
Toronto
Hi,

Could people successfully imported Lexus please PM me the dealer info? I am in Toronto and like to import new Lexus in these two months. Thanks so much.
Aug 26, 2003
472 posts
19 upvotes
letitbe1973 wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2008 4:22 pm
Hi,

Could people successfully imported Lexus please PM me the dealer info? I am in Toronto and like to import new Lexus in these two months. Thanks so much.
Lexus of Manhattan ....

easiest ever!!!
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2008
4261 posts
2457 upvotes
Montreal
fiercetiger wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2008 3:23 pm
I would tell them that they are capitalist pigs and you do not want to buy their car if it was the last piece of metal on earth.

Seriously, tactics like this piss me right off.

Yeah, thats a piss off. So is GM, who has essentially slammed the door shut for anyone wishing to import a 2008 Corvette now that the bumper rules no longer apply. One would think, with GM facing massive headwinds, I would say bankruptcy but I doubt it, you'd think they would stop turning buyers, any buyers away.

This from EVS Corvette in Wisconsin after an enquiry.

Thanks Mr. xxxxxxxx...don't be baffled...it's not that we are turning down business....please read my entire response...WE CAN'T do business out of the country on 2008 Corvettes.....I can loose my franchise...GM just had meetings about this.....it is much deeper than you think, but not our call....selling cars at losses now as it is and then risk loosing it all..I can't risk that; in addition...if I don't I also hurt the customer because GM can and has BLOCKED warranties on vehicles that are not sold properly for certain area's.

You need to talk with the big guys in downtown Detroit...we are simply doing as we are told.

Rick"Corvette"Conti
National Corvette Director
EVS Chevrolet~Random Lake
www.corvetteconti.com
1-800-657-0749
May 3, 2008
16 posts
Charlottetown, PE, C…
If it looks 'too good to be true' it usually is.

Matty wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2008 2:18 am
Did you guys see these prices?! Lease a brand new 2008 Pathfinder for $99/mon?? Rogue $89?! Sentra $69?! Are other US dealers doing this too? That's less than my cell bill.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2001
3561 posts
68 upvotes
Theres a Ford dealer in YEG that does this - its usually for a limited term, like 6 mos and then goes to normal rates.
What the H E double hockey sticks have I done now?
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2006
2431 posts
240 upvotes
If you can read the smudgy find print, the deals require $3995 cash down on top of the first payment, and some other $395 or $595 bank fee) - still decent prices though!
Matty wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2008 2:18 am
Did you guys see these prices?! Lease a brand new 2008 Pathfinder for $99/mon?? Rogue $89?! Sentra $69?! Are other US dealers doing this too? That's less than my cell bill.
Aug 12, 2007
528 posts
3 upvotes
mangoman wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2008 10:40 am
If you can read the smudgy find print, the deals require $3995 cash down on top of the first payment, and some other $395 or $595 bank fee) - still decent prices though!
Dealers near Philadelphia are notorious for counting down payment,military discount(if you are serving Uncle Sam armed forces),new military college grad discount etc and putting
$10,000 for a "Ferrari" on Highway billboard
May 10, 2008
26 posts
montreal
I am just wondering how the check is done at CT to see if you have an engine immobilizer on the car. Do you need to show them some sort of invoice or document that says the car has one or can they tell right away? For instance the Sienna LE comes with an engine immobilizer as standard.
Oct 14, 2007
109 posts
Pierrefonds, Quebec
Be prepared with all your documentation to prove that the car comes with a factory installed imobilizer. Don't take any chances.
Standing Up for Consumers / Fair Automobile Pricing For Canadians
Please visit our site, sign our petition advocating Fair Pricing For Canadians, keep up with the latest import news, join our forum and team of members located all across Canada and 123 countries. All for free.
CarsWithoutBorders.com
http://www.carswithoutborders.com/CWBlogowithwords.jpg
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2008
7605 posts
157 upvotes
kergoz wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2008 9:49 pm
I am just wondering how the check is done at CT to see if you have an engine immobilizer on the car. Do you need to show them some sort of invoice or document that says the car has one or can they tell right away? For instance the Sienna LE comes with an engine immobilizer as standard.
normally they will have a tiny clear sticker on the driver side window indicating there is one there....plus, you probably have a warning light that flashes on the dash indicating it has one...but your dealer's info package will also have confimation that it comes standard on it, and that will be enough