Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Jan 4, 2005
881 posts
1 upvote
great thread, too bad I'm not in the market for a car right now.

warranty is not really a big issue... I mean cars these days don't really have problems until after the warranty period anyway... at least that's what I find...

saving 5K+ ... that's awesome.
Nov 23, 2003
224 posts
91 upvotes
Brampton
Back in February I imported a 2001 SVT Vert Triple Black from Linwood Michigan to Toronto
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2001
3785 posts
269 upvotes
Kitchener
chlorine wrote:great thread, too bad I'm not in the market for a car right now.

warranty is not really a big issue... I mean cars these days don't really have problems until after the warranty period anyway... at least that's what I find...
QUOTE]
I think this is the worst way think when buying a new car.
There are so many things to go wrong that eventually something will.

It is not worth getting irritated, it is not worth it.... Wish everyone happiness, and you yourself will be happy.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2001
3785 posts
269 upvotes
Kitchener
Brian2k1 wrote:Listen here jack, I armed you with information you take it as you will, thats the point since you obviously are not intelligent enough to figure out the position.
Read my post jack, your "economic analysis" have all the depth of a Readers Digest article anyway.
Economy is a way too complicated business to be explained in two paragraphs like you tried .

It is not worth getting irritated, it is not worth it.... Wish everyone happiness, and you yourself will be happy.
Apr 2, 2004
677 posts
67 upvotes
Monsieurmaggot wrote:From previous posts, the newer Mitsubishi EVOs are not importable into Canada. It looks like those manufactured before 1991 might be importable. You could be in luck. The RIV sites indicates this.

For one, I read the bumper does not conform to Transport Canada standards.

It's trial and error about finding a dealer who will sell to Canadians.

Many close to the border dealers can't be bothered. I found this information interesting to read: www.naata.org.
Yes, I'm aware that RIV doesn't allow the newer EVO to be imported because of the bumper issue. That's why I'm waiting for the 15years to past...then I can import them as antiques. That's also why just now a few months ago, people are importing right handed skyline R32 to Canada legally.

FYI, it's quite sad, but the first production evo was 1991...but then again...it wasn't till 1996 with the EVO IV that they starts to look good.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1343 posts
148 upvotes
Toronto
Found a few more articles in the press about this.

It seems more and more are carrying this story.

Seems things are picking up...

http://agonist.org/20060622/seeking_a_c ... the_border

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/s ... e=&no_ads=

http://cfra.com/headlines/index.asp?cat=3&nid=40314

http://www.auto123.com/en/info/news/new ... 64525&pg=1

THIS IS GREAT!
Sep 17, 2001
370 posts
12 upvotes
Very Cool OP. Thanks for starting this thread, and for eveyone who's contrubuted. It seems obvious that this is the way to go to import used cars for sure!
Jun 16, 2003
128 posts
Vancouver
Does anyone know any brokers who can help to bring new vehicles to CAnada? I rather pay someone with such experience
Jun 3, 2006
855 posts
90 upvotes
Mississauga
is there any indication of when (if ever) the pricing will be more equal or are we stuck w/ how things are right now?

realistically i'll probably be in the market in the winter time and might use something like apa.ca (??) to help with buying. i mean, it would nice to enjoy the new car instead of going :mad: whenever you think of how much of a "better deal" it would have been getting it over the boarder.

would also love some referrals of people who can do the leg work of importing a car.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
1826 posts
31 upvotes
brian wrote:Does anyone know any brokers who can help to bring new vehicles to CAnada? I rather pay someone with such experience
i had my used car shipped from florida to toronto with searail. they did all the work @ the border for me.. i had to fill in some documents and fax it to them ... but they give you a list of stuff they will need and it gets into canada "in bond" and u go to your closest bond shed. fill out some paper work, pay the fees and off u go.
Jun 16, 2003
128 posts
Vancouver
ElvaSoShexai wrote:i had my used car shipped from florida to toronto with searail. they did all the work @ the border for me.. i had to fill in some documents and fax it to them ... but they give you a list of stuff they will need and it gets into canada "in bond" and u go to your closest bond shed. fill out some paper work, pay the fees and off u go.
Can they ship new cars? Is there a contact #? thanks
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
1826 posts
31 upvotes
brian wrote:Can they ship new cars? Is there a contact #? thanks
*shrugz* you could ask if they ship new cars...
www.searail.ca

if you ship the car you'd lose a lot of the saving from buying down south though...
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2006
2064 posts
635 upvotes
Seems to be a lot of confusion. Not to sure why, all of the information to import a vehicle is in this thread.

Purchasing a new car from a dealer is straightforward.
Purchasing a used vehicle wouyld be buyer beware. You would want to do the same checks you would practice when purchaing a vehicle in Canada.

Insurance is a matter of suppling a vin# to the agent.

and for those of you still confused: (copied from http://www.riv.ca/english/html/how_to_import.html)

What to do
before you import

Make sure your vehicle is admissible and can be modified to meet Canadian requirements by checking Transport Canada's List of Vehicles Admissible from the United States. The Registrar of Imported Vehicles program regulates only vehicles originally manufactured for the U.S. market. The program regulates passenger cars, trucks, vans, jeeps, chassis cabs, trailers, motorcycles and snowmobiles less than 15 years old; off-road vehicles manufactured after May 1, 1988 and buses manufactured after January 1, 1971.
For information on the importation of vehicles into Canada from countries other than the United States, go to Transport Canada's web site.
Check the list on this web site for typical modification requirements, or you can contact us at info@riv.ca or 1-888-848-8240.
Contact the original equipment manufacturer or authorized dealer of your vehicle to obtain a recall clearance letter. You must have this document in order to pass the federal inspection.
Obtain information from the manufacturer or authorized dealer on costs and availability of parts for the required modifications. Some manufacturers require an authorized dealer perform the modifications. Remember that the costs of the mocifications are your responsibility.
Determine additional costs, such as duty and taxes. Canada Border Services Agency, responsible for assessing and collecting duties and taxes, can be reached at 1-800-461-9999 (in Canada) or (506) 636-5064 (outside Canada).
Make sure you have the required documentation: title documents, registration, sales receipts, statement of compliance label and manufacturer's recall clearance letter.
Find out about any additional provincial or territorial requirements, such as safety inspections and emissions tests.
Arrange for insurance on your vehicle.
U.S. Customs requires notification of all self-propelled vehicles being permanently exported from the United States. Their regulations state that at land border points:
1. The required documentation must be submitted to U.S. Customs at least 72 hours prior to export; and
2. The vehicle must be presented to U.S. Customs at the time of export.
U.S. Customs recommends that you contact the port of crossing directly to determine exact documentation requirements and hours of operation.
If you are importing a trailer, you may call RIV to have your Vehicle Identification Number verified ahead of time.

What to do
at the border

Produce your title documents, registration and sales receipts.
Complete Vehicle Import Form
Jun 2, 2003
204 posts
3 upvotes
Quebec
brian wrote:Does anyone know any brokers who can help to bring new vehicles to CAnada? I rather pay someone with such experience
I plan on offering this particular service in Quebec somewhere in the next few months. I just ordered 3 vehicules in Plattsburgh, NY and if everything goes as planned, I'll offer an AutoImport service on the net. To be continued... ;)

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)