Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2003
1104 posts
22 upvotes
darock_sayz wrote:
May 31st, 2007 3:52 pm
He,
Could anyone potentially detail the process to get your Toyota warranty registered in Canada ? I know they saw they will honour it, but not sure what steps or obsticles I might have to face.

Also, as per a few threads above, it seems Toyota has warned all its dealers against selling to Canadians recently again...I think there are still a few out there...wish me good luck (washington state area)!
There really isn't a "way" to have it warrantied. Either it is or isn't. The Toyota story has changed 50 times in the last year..yes, then no, then yes. then no. According to the drivingtv video toyota was the only one to respond and they said yes. So people have said no. I think your bigger worry should be if you can buy it or not instead of warranty. It seems as this is getting more popular that it's harder and harder to get any car right now. Warranty is a bonus but with the money you save you can put that into repairs in the next 3 years if needed anyway.
Feb 12, 2006
586 posts
29 upvotes
darock_sayz wrote:
May 31st, 2007 3:52 pm
He,
Could anyone potentially detail the process to get your Toyota warranty registered in Canada ? I know they saw they will honour it, but not sure what steps or obsticles I might have to face.

Also, as per a few threads above, it seems Toyota has warned all its dealers against selling to Canadians recently again...I think there are still a few out there...wish me good luck (washington state area)!
There is no process you need to go through to registered in Canada. Just take you vehicle in to a dealer in Canada to have the warranty work done on it. This I'm speaking from experience. I had to get minor work done my new Highlander and small town dealership knew exactly what they need to do.
Mar 15, 2007
20 posts
Monsieurmaggot wrote:
May 31st, 2007 12:02 pm
Hold on a second! They had you modify the odometer to import your car?

My Form 2 my US Subaru is that ALL stickers (everywhere including the airbag warnings, the engine compartment and door sill warning labels) are in both English and French.

All done .
I am now a official RFD !
Sienna has nothing to modify if DRL is enabled .( it is an option , but there is a way to enable it with just a fuse )
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
4463 posts
497 upvotes
SK
sonicDX wrote:
May 31st, 2007 4:31 pm
All done .
I am now a official RFD !
Sienna has nothing to modify if DRL is enabled .( it is an option , but there is a way to enable it with just a fuse )
ha ha ha....$100 option with a $0.50 part, gotta love the auto industry.
Dec 10, 2003
102 posts
15 upvotes
I've got a lot of Private Messages regarding where I bought my new 2007 Outback, so I'm going to post here to help all those considering a Subaru that are living in Alberta and BC.

I bought my car from Carter Subaru in Seattle. I dealt with the internet sales manager Joe Spitz, he has a website that is the most comprehensive Subaru information website that I know... www.cars101.com Here he provides all invoice prices, rebates etc... and all features and changes of each model, if you are considering a Subaru, definitely check that site out. Joe evens gives you a step by step guide on importing a vehicle to Canada. Joe was super easy to deal with and he is a straight shooter, you do not get any BS from him. Carter Subaru also have a one price no haggle policy. But believe me, their price is more than fair. When I call Joe to get a quote on my car, the price that I got beat my expectation by more than $700, this was without any negotiation or haggling. I did all my pricing research on www.edmunds.com and www.kbb.com. Joe Spitz and Carter Subaru definitely has lots of experiences in selling to Canadians so it was a zero hassle experience for me. It was definitely the easiest new car purchase I've ever made. The importation process is super easy as long as you follow the instructions and have all your paperwork ready when crossing the border.

For those living in Edmonton, I suggest you take your car to Freedom Ford to get the RIV inspection done. I tried Canadian Tire and gave up. Crappy Tires gave me the go around like 'our tech that does this is not available so you have to come back' and 'you have to leave your car here all day as we can only do it when we get around to it'. So I called Freedom Ford because they was also on the approved inpectors list that RIV provided. Freedom Ford have a Service advisor that specifically do this, just call and make sure that he's around. If he is, you're in and out with the inspection in less than 15 minutes. There was zero modification that needed to be done as Subaru has DRL, the french airbag stickers and the metric speedomter marking. After this was done, I went straight to a registry and had my car registered 15 minutes later.

I hope that answers a lot your questions. This was definitely the easiest $13-14K that I saved. Definitely easier than doing a PM at Staples or Futureshop.
May 23, 2006
38 posts
6 upvotes
After reading all this I got excited and now I am picking up a 2007 White Subaru STi. Im going down Tuesday to get it. After flying, taxes (including duty) I am still saving over $10,000. A couple questions though...

1) Should I take my alberta plate down with me?
2) Can I get the temporary insurance before hand?
3) Is that all I need is a plate and insurance to drive it back?

Its going to be a FUN drive throught the rockies from Seattle to Edmonton :) ...Ill see what this car is REALLY made of!
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1301 posts
43 upvotes
Mississauga
Liquidium wrote:
May 31st, 2007 10:18 pm
After reading all this I got excited and now I am picking up a 2007 White Subaru STi. Im going down Tuesday to get it. After flying, taxes (including duty) I am still saving over $10,000. A couple questions though...

1) Should I take my alberta plate down with me?
2) Can I get the temporary insurance before hand?
3) Is that all I need is a plate and insurance to drive it back?

Its going to be a FUN drive throught the rockies from Seattle to Edmonton :) ...Ill see what this car is REALLY made of!
Congratulations for your new Subaru!
You dont need any plate, as your dealer would provide you with temp. permit, which is good for 21 days.
Dont know about Alberta, but here in ontario, the existing insurance covers for new vehicle for 30 days.
EDIT: Just checked the Ontario Insurance Policy section 2.2.1. New vehicle is automatically insured for 14 days, NOT 30 days as I previously stated.
Oct 16, 2005
578 posts
1 upvote
Has anyone in the GTA or neighbouring cities had success in importing a Lexus RX 400h? Can you provide any info wrt the dealer, process, taxes paid, etc...? Thanks... if not, anybody want to start thinking about a group buy for any Lexus cars?
Oct 2, 2002
42 posts
3 upvotes
Calgary
Luckster wrote:
May 31st, 2007 5:40 pm
I've got a lot of Private Messages regarding where I bought my new 2007 Outback, so I'm going to post here to help all those considering a Subaru that are living in Alberta and BC.

I bought my car from Carter Subaru in Seattle. I dealt with the internet sales manager Joe Spitz, he has a website that is the most comprehensive Subaru information website that I know... www.cars101.com Here he provides all invoice prices, rebates etc... and all features and changes of each model, if you are considering a Subaru, definitely check that site out. Joe evens gives you a step by step guide on importing a vehicle to Canada. Joe was super easy to deal with and he is a straight shooter, you do not get any BS from him. Carter Subaru also have a one price no haggle policy. But believe me, their price is more than fair. When I call Joe to get a quote on my car, the price that I got beat my expectation by more than $700, this was without any negotiation or haggling. I did all my pricing research on www.edmunds.com and www.kbb.com. Joe Spitz and Carter Subaru definitely has lots of experiences in selling to Canadians so it was a zero hassle experience for me. It was definitely the easiest new car purchase I've ever made. The importation process is super easy as long as you follow the instructions and have all your paperwork ready when crossing the border.

For those living in Edmonton, I suggest you take your car to Freedom Ford to get the RIV inspection done. I tried Canadian Tire and gave up. Crappy Tires gave me the go around like 'our tech that does this is not available so you have to come back' and 'you have to leave your car here all day as we can only do it when we get around to it'. So I called Freedom Ford because they was also on the approved inpectors list that RIV provided. Freedom Ford have a Service advisor that specifically do this, just call and make sure that he's around. If he is, you're in and out with the inspection in less than 15 minutes. There was zero modification that needed to be done as Subaru has DRL, the french airbag stickers and the metric speedomter marking. After this was done, I went straight to a registry and had my car registered 15 minutes later.

I hope that answers a lot your questions. This was definitely the easiest $13-14K that I saved. Definitely easier than doing a PM at Staples or Futureshop.
I also bought a 2006 XT Outback from Joe. It was a pleasure dealing with Joe. Straight shooter, no BS. I know where I"ll be buying my next Subaru!!!
May 23, 2007
31 posts
edmonton
safe, easy, trackable... no problem IMO. it's what I did and it'll be two weeks before I pick mine up.
Mar 15, 2007
20 posts
Monsieurmaggot wrote:
May 31st, 2007 12:02 pm
Hold on a second! They had you modify the odometer to import your car?
French.
It took me 2 days to finish everything , bought from Northtown .

day 1 :
8:15 Greyhound to Buffalo , with refundable round-trip ticket .
10:30 Reach Peace bridge Lake Erie custom. The custom office asked a few simple questions . I told them I have a draft with me . They looked at it and said it's not endoresed at the back so it's not counted as currency , but they appreciate I showed it to them .
11:30 some delay , then out of custom.
11:45 reach bus station .
1:00 dealer picked me up , I waited for an hour .
1:20 reach dealer office .
2:20 finished all paper work and checked vehicle .
2:30 going across Grand Island on I-190 , paid $0.75 bridge toll.

3:00 reach custom . DO NOT GO ON BRIDGE ! Do not pass the Tim Hortons . The custom office and gate is on the other side of the road . There is a left turn in the middle of the road which is very easy to miss . You can park at the Tim Hortons and check around first. Across the road , there is some buildings , and the Vehicle export office door is facing the road . It's a very small red door , with 6-7 steps stairs outside the building . It's the only red trimed building and the only small red door there .
Just park out side the red door and find the office . There is notes on the doors to lead the way . I went upstairs and got pointed back to the first floor . Follow the instructions , I reached a small room . Only one lady officer there and no one else . She took my certificate of title and found the fax in a cabinet , checked computer , stamp the title ( bill of sale is not required ), I am out of the door . 3 minutes max . No one went outside to check the vehicle .
http://maps.google.ca/?ie=UTF8&t=h&om=1 ... 04989&z=18
Check this link , the lower building is the export office , the upper left building is Tim Hortons.
You have to cross the CA->US traffic to reach the export building .

3:15 heading on the bridge , and reach Canadian custom gate . They asked a few simple questions , price , purpose , gave a yellow slip and pointed me to the custom . The custom is in the middle of HWY .
3:20 find the custom vehicle import counter , they filled form1 and pointed me to the cashier counter which is in the same room . I told the cashier that I want to pay the $206.7 in the RIV office at the 405 West Mall . They are ok . I paid the GST only with credit card . Collect all the paper and leave . No one went outside to check the vehicle again ! 10 minutes max .

3:20 reach another gate , paid USD$3.00 or CAD$3.50 , I am on the way home . No time to go to RIV today .

Day 2:
11:00 at RIV 405 West Mall , parked in the under ground parking , went down all the way to P7 to find a space . The RIV office is on the fifth floor , follow the signs to get there . Again , a small room for customers , no one is waiting . I handed in form1,recall-letter,etc and waited 20 minutes . They process the document and gave me form 2 .

12:30 at Canadian tire , I was told I need to do emission test and safety-check , $136 in total.
2:45 everything clear , no extra charge , I am going to MTO .
3:30 no problem in MTO , pay registration and tax , I got my plates !

It's a fun experince , like a lady shopping in the mall , one excitement after an other .
Thanks you all , especially Monsieurmaggot ! :razz:

Now I understand why rising dollar hurts Canadian export . :razz:
Jan 10, 2007
522 posts
129 upvotes
Montreal
Someone on acurazine.com imported an RDX and saved about 8000 dollars. He has step by step instructions and even includes the dealer name and sales rep !

So, if anyone is interested in an Acura RDX I guess you can do it and save some serious money: 8000 to 10000 dollars !
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2005
1850 posts
204 upvotes
North Vancouver
darock_sayz wrote:
Jun 1st, 2007 1:01 pm
In regards to my Toyota I am purchasing from Washington
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2005
1850 posts
204 upvotes
North Vancouver
perfchris wrote:
Jun 1st, 2007 2:48 pm
Someone on acurazine.com imported an RDX and saved about 8000 dollars. He has step by step instructions and even includes the dealer name and sales rep !

So, if anyone is interested in an Acura RDX I guess you can do it and save some serious money: 8000 to 10000 dollars !

http://rdx.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1410

MDX maybe more :cheesygri

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)