Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Aug 22, 2011
12 posts
Hey all,

Not sure if anyone is looking at this thread but I have a question: I purchased a car and imported a number of years ago 2008 FX35 great but now its getting old. I got access to Manhiem and noticed that on the dealer market prices are still fairly low compared to CAN. looking at 2015 C300 or equivalent BMW, Lexus or Audi. C300 4matic as an example is under $30k USD for up to 1 year old. Looking on KIJIJI or Auto trader I see them in the $40-$50 range. Worst its a few k cheaper at best I am thinking it will be about 10k cheaper. Reading some threads now it looks like things have changed Warranty is not always honored and Audi, BMW, MERC all require you to change the ODO to get a recall letter. That would add another $3k to the price. Has anyone recently purchased these models and thoughts or issues with getting the recall letter? Should I stick to a Lexus to minimize issues but I read on some posts in RFD that Toyota does not honor warranty either. Should I stick to buying in Ontario.
Sep 7, 2009
231 posts
34 upvotes
jag0001 wrote:
Jun 21st, 2016 8:51 pm
Hey all,

Not sure if anyone is looking at this thread but I have a question: I purchased a car and imported a number of years ago 2008 FX35 great but now its getting old. I got access to Manhiem and noticed that on the dealer market prices are still fairly low compared to CAN. looking at 2015 C300 or equivalent BMW, Lexus or Audi. C300 4matic as an example is under $30k USD for up to 1 year old. Looking on KIJIJI or Auto trader I see them in the $40-$50 range. Worst its a few k cheaper at best I am thinking it will be about 10k cheaper. Reading some threads now it looks like things have changed Warranty is not always honored and Audi, BMW, MERC all require you to change the ODO to get a recall letter. That would add another $3k to the price. Has anyone recently purchased these models and thoughts or issues with getting the recall letter? Should I stick to a Lexus to minimize issues but I read on some posts in RFD that Toyota does not honor warranty either. Should I stick to buying in Ontario.
One benefit we should get soon, regardless of CAD : USD is the gradual phasing out of European duties as a result of a free trade agreement a couple of years back. This likely means $1-2K saved on the BMW, Merc, or Audi you are looking at.

The only problem is that I don't know exactly when that 6.1% duty will be gone.
Aug 22, 2011
12 posts
phlegm2 wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2016 9:04 pm
One benefit we should get soon, regardless of CAD : USD is the gradual phasing out of European duties as a result of a free trade agreement a couple of years back. This likely means $1-2K saved on the BMW, Merc, or Audi you are looking at.

The only problem is that I don't know exactly when that 6.1% duty will be gone.
That's true I was excited when I heard about the free trade agreement with Europe. Sucks it did not get implemented faster. Let's see what happens. I am just frustrated with all the changes that seem to have occurred in the last few years with importing. Last time I imported it was a breeze no issues, no complaints saved about 15k. Now I feel the dealers are just trying to screw every penny out of you.. man.
Aug 8, 2005
434 posts
73 upvotes
Toronto
jag0001 wrote:
Jun 21st, 2016 8:51 pm
Hey all,

You probably aren't going to save much money to make it worth the hassle.

30K USD @ $1.30 = $39k CAD
Plus $2400 duty (6.1%) = $41,400

Then you still have to have it inspected remotely, have it shipped, go through all of the paperwork and RIV inspection hassles, get it safetied & drive clean, etc.

If a local dealer wants 45-48k I'd jump at it and just buy the car locally. It will probably end up costing you that to import the car from the US.
Mar 2, 2014
236 posts
63 upvotes
Hello experts, I need to import a gifted car from my mother in law, from New york to Ontario. I am not able to find out how to get plates to import it to Canada.
We live here and she lives in NY and have not signed the title for ownership transfer yet. Can a canadian get NY DMV In-transit vehicle permit, which is valid for 30 days, to import the car to canada?
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2004
3516 posts
236 upvotes
Ottawa
I'm considering importing a US Nissan but does anyone have any recent experience with warranty on an imported used USA Nissan?

I called Nissan North America (Nissan USA) and the person I was speaking to said that the warranty was void if the vehicle was exported but he really didn't sound like he knew what he was talking about ... Calls to Nissan Canada refer to Nissan North America ...

General consensus seems to be that as long as it's registered at least 6 months in the USA, the warranty will be valid in Canada but the wording in the Warranty Manual is a bit unclear
APPLICABILITY
- This warranty is provided to the original and subsequent owner(s) of a Nissan vehicle originally distributed by Nissan which is originally sold by a Nissan authorized Nissan dealership in the United States, and which is registered in the U.S. and normally operated in the United States (including Alaska and Hawaii) and Canada.
- This warranty is generally transferable from the original ‘owner other than a Nissan dealer’ (OWNER) to subsequent owners of the vehicle at any time ownership of the vehicle is transferred, without any action on your part; except that this warranty is not transferable but is instead void if during the first six months after delivery to the original OWNER: (1) ownership of the vehicle is transferred from the original OWNER, and (2) the vehicle is registered outside of the United States.
The first part states that, for the warranty to be provided, the vehicle MUST be registered in the US but the second part states that if the vehicle is registered outside of the US after first being registered for 6 months in the US, the warranty isn't voided and is transferable, which would imply that it's still valid even if the vehicle is registered outside the US ...

Any recent, first-hand experience?
May 1, 2008
100 posts
7 upvotes
Even with the bad exchange rate used cars are still thousands cheaper in the US than in Canada. Likely due to a bigger market and more supply. Not so sure about new cars
Jan 2, 2017
2 posts
Hey has anyone bought a used car from california. If i buy from calif., fly down and drive back to BC with temp licence, do i have to pay calif. sales tax? Or do i not pay calif sales tax since im from canada and transporting car and registering it in BC.
Jan 2, 2017
2 posts
Would i pay Califoria sales tax if i buy a car there and drive it back to BC with a temp licence?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
5088 posts
1280 upvotes
Kootenays
Indybob wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2017 11:58 pm
Would i pay Califoria sales tax if i buy a car there and drive it back to BC with a temp licence?
AFAIK, the only way to avoid California sales tax would be to ship it out of state.
Mar 19, 2017
3 posts
I'm about to buy a car from a private seller in the US, for around 15k. Since I'm not about to bring that amount of cash in my pockets, what do people generally use to pay for their cars? He's understandably not too keen on a certified cheque (because they take a couple days to clear), any other "instant" way of paying?

Also, I'm not sure I totally understand the 72h thing with the U.S. Border. This means I have to fly there 3 days in advance, transfer the title with the seller in person, mail it to the border crossing along with the rest of the paperwork (the one I'm planning to cross needs the original), then I can drive there 3 days later? How are people proceeding to buy cars "remotely"? Do you mail the original title back and forth between buyer and seller?

Thanks!
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2004
3516 posts
236 upvotes
Ottawa
lapoune wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 9:43 am
I'm about to buy a car from a private seller in the US, for around 15k. Since I'm not about to bring that amount of cash in my pockets, what do people generally use to pay for their cars? He's understandably not too keen on a certified cheque (because they take a couple days to clear), any other "instant" way of paying?

Also, I'm not sure I totally understand the 72h thing with the U.S. Border. This means I have to fly there 3 days in advance, transfer the title with the seller in person, mail it to the border crossing along with the rest of the paperwork (the one I'm planning to cross needs the original), then I can drive there 3 days later? How are people proceeding to buy cars "remotely"? Do you mail the original title back and forth between buyer and seller?

Thanks!
Unfortunately, unless you want to make multiple trips or spend some time in the US, you'll have to trust your seller. To pay for most of the cars I purchased, I paid by wire. Mailing the title back and forth probably won't work simply because most sellers probably won't sign over and send you the title without having the receiving the payment.

The process to export the vehicle from the US has changed a bit since this thread was started (good and bad). The good news is that I don't think any of the ports need the actual title 3 business days (weekends don't count) before the export and now you can just fax or email a copy (which the seller can easily do for you). The bad news is that now, all vehicle exports have to be submitted online through AES. I don't know if it's possible to get an account if you don't have a US tax id or something like that. Probably the easiest thing to do, especially if you're only going to do this once, is to hire someone to do it. This company (http://simplifiedtradesolutions.com/get ... o-canada/ ) does it for $35US. You might also be able to find a forum member that will do it for you. If you want to do it yourself, this thread has good information (http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigr ... 713.0.html).

You also need to confirm the hours of operation for export at the US POE you will be crossing (the one I go through only does vehicle exports Mon-Fri 8:30am-4:30pm).

Good luck,
Mike
Mar 19, 2017
3 posts
Thanks for the help, I ended up wiring the money, and he will send me a scan of the filled title. I will try the site you mentioned for AES, found a couple but it's good to know that this one works. Imported a car before but never from a private seller it's a bit more complicated.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2004
3516 posts
236 upvotes
Ottawa
lapoune wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 10:37 pm
Thanks for the help, I ended up wiring the money, and he will send me a scan of the filled title. I will try the site you mentioned for AES, found a couple but it's good to know that this one works. Imported a car before but never from a private seller it's a bit more complicated.
Just so there's no misunderstanding, I've never used the link I posted for AES; it's just the cheapest I found and I saw it recommended somewhere else ... (I've worked in the US and have a US mailing address so I have everything I needed to register for AES myself (I'm not sure exactly what you need; I did it many years ago...))