Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Mar 19, 2017
3 posts
I ended up going with clearit.ca for the ITN#. There were some problems identifying the Title# (some states don't have a clearly defined one), and brokers were telling me I needed it while the DMV was saying it doesn't exist. A lot seemed confused by the process themselves and contradicted stuff I learned or read here. I got fed up with it and went with clearit. It's 150 so significantly more expensive but they handle everything and helped with choosing a port of entry with the different rules and hours for vehicle exports. I did all my research beforehand so I knew most of it but it was nice to have confirmation and for someone looking for a simpler process it's pretty smooth with them so far. Will update once I get my ITN.
Oct 7, 2008
790 posts
100 upvotes
I searched the thread and looked at the apa link for warranty info but didn't get a full answer. If I import a NEW GM/Chevrolet vehicle:

1. Does it need to be registered in the USA (besides the dealer) first? I read some say yes and some no.

2. I have to wait 6 months and 12k from registering it for the first time ever in Canada(this is assuming point one is a no) to exercise the warranty? Apa website appears to indicate this point, just want to confirm.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2004
3707 posts
330 upvotes
Ottawa
I RFD wrote:
Aug 7th, 2017 10:48 pm
I searched the thread and looked at the apa link for warranty info but didn't get a full answer. If I import a NEW GM/Chevrolet vehicle:

1. Does it need to be registered in the USA (besides the dealer) first? I read some say yes and some no.

2. I have to wait 6 months and 12k from registering it for the first time ever in Canada(this is assuming point one is a no) to exercise the warranty? Apa website appears to indicate this point, just want to confirm.
I'm not sure how up to date the information on APA's website is so I would suggest checking with GM USA and asking. They do mention getting the recall clearance letter from GM Vintage which I believe is GM's proper process but I believe when I imported a GM vehicle (used) a few years ago, I was able to just use a print out from the GM system saying no outstanding recalls.
Oct 7, 2008
790 posts
100 upvotes
I called GM Canada and they said you don't need to register the NEW car in the USA first. Warranty will delayed 6 moths or 12K km (the person didn't seem sure if it was either or both) as suggested by the APA website.

I'm having issues actually finding a GM dealership that will sell to me with the factory incentives. All the ones that have gotten back to me (north east USA) so far either say they cant sell a new car to Canadians or wont offer the factory incentives. Some of the dealerships refusing to sell are not bordering states or anywhere you'd consider close to the Canadian border, they've probably not ever even seen a potential canadian customer lol.

Are USA GM dealerships allowed to give factory incentives if the car will be imported to Canada?