Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Mar 19, 2017
3 posts
I ended up going with clearit.ca for the ITN#. There were some problems identifying the Title# (some states don't have a clearly defined one), and brokers were telling me I needed it while the DMV was saying it doesn't exist. A lot seemed confused by the process themselves and contradicted stuff I learned or read here. I got fed up with it and went with clearit. It's 150 so significantly more expensive but they handle everything and helped with choosing a port of entry with the different rules and hours for vehicle exports. I did all my research beforehand so I knew most of it but it was nice to have confirmation and for someone looking for a simpler process it's pretty smooth with them so far. Will update once I get my ITN.
Oct 7, 2008
949 posts
163 upvotes
I searched the thread and looked at the apa link for warranty info but didn't get a full answer. If I import a NEW GM/Chevrolet vehicle:

1. Does it need to be registered in the USA (besides the dealer) first? I read some say yes and some no.

2. I have to wait 6 months and 12k from registering it for the first time ever in Canada(this is assuming point one is a no) to exercise the warranty? Apa website appears to indicate this point, just want to confirm.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2004
4004 posts
419 upvotes
Ottawa
I RFD wrote:
Aug 7th, 2017 10:48 pm
I searched the thread and looked at the apa link for warranty info but didn't get a full answer. If I import a NEW GM/Chevrolet vehicle:

1. Does it need to be registered in the USA (besides the dealer) first? I read some say yes and some no.

2. I have to wait 6 months and 12k from registering it for the first time ever in Canada(this is assuming point one is a no) to exercise the warranty? Apa website appears to indicate this point, just want to confirm.
I'm not sure how up to date the information on APA's website is so I would suggest checking with GM USA and asking. They do mention getting the recall clearance letter from GM Vintage which I believe is GM's proper process but I believe when I imported a GM vehicle (used) a few years ago, I was able to just use a print out from the GM system saying no outstanding recalls.
Oct 7, 2008
949 posts
163 upvotes
I called GM Canada and they said you don't need to register the NEW car in the USA first. Warranty will delayed 6 moths or 12K km (the person didn't seem sure if it was either or both) as suggested by the APA website.

I'm having issues actually finding a GM dealership that will sell to me with the factory incentives. All the ones that have gotten back to me (north east USA) so far either say they cant sell a new car to Canadians or wont offer the factory incentives. Some of the dealerships refusing to sell are not bordering states or anywhere you'd consider close to the Canadian border, they've probably not ever even seen a potential canadian customer lol.

Are USA GM dealerships allowed to give factory incentives if the car will be imported to Canada?
Jul 5, 2016
11 posts
1 upvote
In case somebody's still reading this :)

How would exemption work if I purchase new car in California (shipping out surely) to Buffalo and then drive myself from Buffalo?
I mean this should work, but seems a bit confusing to me and will be confusing for California dealer for sure who will see canuck maybe for the first time in his life :-D

Another option as far as I understand would be to arrange complete shipping/customs service with some broker to let them do everything and get delivered to Ontario for me. Might be OK, but have to find good broker then.
Nov 13, 2009
405 posts
52 upvotes
Somewhere N of 49th …
ValenP wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2018 12:52 am
In case somebody's still reading this :)

How would exemption work if I purchase new car in California (shipping out surely) to Buffalo and then drive myself from Buffalo?
I mean this should work, but seems a bit confusing to me and will be confusing for California dealer for sure who will see canuck maybe for the first time in his life :-D

Another option as far as I understand would be to arrange complete shipping/customs service with some broker to let them do everything and get delivered to Ontario for me. Might be OK, but have to find good broker then.
I've been down this road, and it's a whole lot harder than you might think, even for a brand new car. First make sure the make/model you want, can infact be imported into Canada. I could go down the list but here read up on it. https://www.coleintl.com/importing-vehi ... canada.php

BTW, why on earth would you want to import a California emissions vehicle, unless you already had the car and was moving to Canada ???
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2004
4004 posts
419 upvotes
Ottawa
If by exemption you mean "CA tax exemption on a car bought in CA but shipped out of state", it's not quite simple because you'll likely need a temporary plate to drive the car once you receive it wherever you are getting it shipped to. I don't believe you can get one from whichever state you are receiving in (e.g. NY will only give you a temp permit if the car is coming into NY or leaving NY (or staying in NY) but they won't issue one for transit). I know that Ontario will not give you a temporary permit until the vehicle is in Canada so that doesn't help (not sure about other provinces but I suspect they are the same). Technically, you need to get a temp permit from CA which means paying CA taxes.

If it was me, I'd probably just stick a plate on it from my current car just to get it into Ontario (but that is illegal and you could get a fine for driving unregistered vehicle (I tend to think that if you have insurance on the vehicle and show them proof that you just bought it and are in the process of getting it properly plated, they might give you a break but it is breaking the law). In theory, you'd probably be better "more legal" driving with insurance and no plates at all but in reality, I think you'll attract less attention by having a plate from another vehicle. To do it completely legally, you could certainly rent a dolly or flatbed and tow the vehicle to Canada.

As far as the process, it's really not that complicated but you do have to do your homework. The thread is a few years old but the information still applies so read the first post. The only thing that's really changed is the US Customs Export process (AES) - easiest thing for that is find a company to submit it for you (I think you should be able to find it for $30-$50). www.riv.ca has most of the information.

It's true that some vehicles are not admissible to Canada but I think it's the minority (offhand I can only think of Tesla, some exotics and rare models that can't be imported). Having said that, many cars do require some modifications (e.g. DRLs, child seat anchors, etc). Warranties are entirely different and you really have to look at each manufacturer but the warranty will become void for many manufacturers.
Jul 5, 2016
11 posts
1 upvote
Techmann wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2018 2:32 pm
BTW, why on earth would you want to import a California emissions vehicle, unless you already had the car and was moving to Canada ???
I might be missing something here :)

Thanks michelb for considerations. With all of that seems the only option I have is to use broker who will deliver car directly from California to Canada (which means more money spent again).

BTW, at the end I've decided to drop it all since dealer in California couldn't provide more incentives while Canadian added some rebates so at the end getting car in Canada would become $700 cheaper than from California (with transportation and other fees included). No miracles here :)
Nov 13, 2009
405 posts
52 upvotes
Somewhere N of 49th …
ValenP wrote:
Apr 24th, 2018 4:18 pm
I might be missing something here :)

Thanks michelb for considerations. With all of that seems the only option I have is to use broker who will deliver car directly from California to Canada (which means more money spent again).

BTW, at the end I've decided to drop it all since dealer in California couldn't provide more incentives while Canadian added some rebates so at the end getting car in Canada would become $700 cheaper than from California (with transportation and other fees included). No miracles here :)
More than $700 cheaper..a whole lot more. Most states, and most all of Canada, have a set of regulations in place for emission standards on vehicles. However states such as California, New York, New Jersey along with 10 other states as well as DC have adopted the California emissions standards, which are very strict and include provisions in the computer programming, fuel mileage and parts, which can get more expensive. Unless I was living in 1 of those states, I would not buy a new vehicle from there, and would look very closely at any used vehicle coming from there. Also don't forget, you can get a broker to get the car up here, but it's your due diligence to make sure that car can legally be brought into Canada (although some brokers are helpful) AND you must pay the fee/ register/ have the car inspected for Register of Imported Vehicles.
Nov 13, 2009
405 posts
52 upvotes
Somewhere N of 49th …
michelb wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2018 11:52 am
If by exemption you mean "CA tax exemption on a car bought in CA but shipped out of state", it's not quite simple because you'll likely need a temporary plate to drive the car once you receive it wherever you are getting it shipped to. I don't believe you can get one from whichever state you are receiving in (e.g. NY will only give you a temp permit if the car is coming into NY or leaving NY (or staying in NY) but they won't issue one for transit). I know that Ontario will not give you a temporary permit until the vehicle is in Canada so that doesn't help (not sure about other provinces but I suspect they are the same). Technically, you need to get a temp permit from CA which means paying CA taxes.

If it was me, I'd probably just stick a plate on it from my current car just to get it into Ontario (but that is illegal and you could get a fine for driving unregistered vehicle (I tend to think that if you have insurance on the vehicle and show them proof that you just bought it and are in the process of getting it properly plated, they might give you a break but it is breaking the law). In theory, you'd probably be better "more legal" driving with insurance and no plates at all but in reality, I think you'll attract less attention by having a plate from another vehicle. To do it completely legally, you could certainly rent a dolly or flatbed and tow the vehicle to Canada.

As far as the process, it's really not that complicated but you do have to do your homework. The thread is a few years old but the information still applies so read the first post. The only thing that's really changed is the US Customs Export process (AES) - easiest thing for that is find a company to submit it for you (I think you should be able to find it for $30-$50). www.riv.ca has most of the information.

It's true that some vehicles are not admissible to Canada but I think it's the minority (offhand I can only think of Tesla, some exotics and rare models that can't be imported). Having said that, many cars do require some modifications (e.g. DRLs, child seat anchors, etc). Warranties are entirely different and you really have to look at each manufacturer but the warranty will become void for many manufacturers.
Also do not forget the EIS update between Sept 07-Jan 09..those cars that did not have Electronic Immobilization System in place, needed that done as well, and if you brought in a Mercedes or a few other makes/models, all modifications have to be done at 1 of their dealers.
And yes he could get a trip permit in California to drive it home:
25.010 One Trip Permit (CVC §4003)

A One Trip Permit (REG 402) is available from the department and may be used in lieu of California registration for movement of any vehicle except a crane.

The permit must be posted on the windshield or other prominent place and must identify the vehicle being moved.
The permit must be obtained prior to any movement of the vehicle that would require it to be registered.
The permit is valid for movement of an unladen vehicle for one continuous trip from a place:
within California to another place within or outside of California.
Proper proof of insurance must be provided.