Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Mar 27, 2006
90 posts
1 upvote
michelb wrote:Thanks for the info. Sounds like you got your bank in Canada to finance your purchase in the US which isn't really what the others were asking. I believe they were asking if you could get financed through the US dealership and/or US bank.

Good to know that CND banks will finance US purchases though - thanks again for the info.

Mike

I found out that finacing from the US banks can be a lot easier, faster, competitive, plus sometimes you get better rates. This is for property or business. Don't know about cars but I don't see why not. They will just put a lien on it like anything else.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2004
1464 posts
15 upvotes
Bigbob85 wrote:I showed an original title (had it UPS'd to me), bill of sale and proof of insurance. I was worried about the safety but it can't be done since Florida has no safeties when they transfer. It is based on clean title (or rebuild or salvage)

Now this transfer I did was for a used car not a new purchase.

so you bought the car without inspecting it? you paid for it and then went down there to get it? isnt that pretty risky?

My howardforums Feedbacks

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread. ... did=156877

Just made a Heatware account
http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=18988
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2004
2105 posts
27 upvotes
Calgary
Can you bring back a car with a SALVAGE TITLE??
MY HEATWARE - Available upon request
MY EBAY - Available upon request
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2004
3391 posts
184 upvotes
Ottawa
kaddy69 wrote:Can you bring back a car with a SALVAGE TITLE??
You'll need to do a bit more research on this. Technically, you can import them but it depends on how exactly it was branded (different states put different titles on them). See here (http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pub/cm/cn427/cn427-e.html) for more information on actually importing them. Once you have it imported, to get it licensed requires a bit more work which depends on the province you are plating it in. E.g. in Quebec, an inspector needs to look at the car BEFORE AND AFTER it was repaired so you cannot re-register a car that has been fixed but still has a salvage title (I believe this is to prevent 'title-washing' (or whatever you call it) (i.e. stealing a car and using the VIN / title from a crashed car to sell it)) and they have to go through a very thorough inspection. In Ontario, it sounds like it's quite a bit easier but I was never able to get a straight answer when I looked into it a few years ago.

Good luck and let us know what you find.
Oct 26, 2002
96 posts
5 upvotes
London
mack wrote:so you bought the car without inspecting it? you paid for it and then went down there to get it? isnt that pretty risky?
Mack you sound like my wife. :lol: But short answer is Yes. You have to have faith in the seller thats for sure. Made a decision. Lived with it. Truck drove 1300 miles with no problems. I knew any issues before buying it. Had it Carfaxed (which does not tell you everything). Just waiting to get it safetied. The money I paid saves me more than enough for the safety (I have planned on putting on new brakes) and still saving a few thousand after all expenses.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2004
1464 posts
15 upvotes
Bigbob85 wrote:Mack you sound like my wife. :lol: But short answer is Yes. You have to have faith in the seller thats for sure. Made a decision. Lived with it. Truck drove 1300 miles with no problems. I knew any issues before buying it. Had it Carfaxed (which does not tell you everything). Just waiting to get it safetied. The money I paid saves me more than enough for the safety (I have planned on putting on new brakes) and still saving a few thousand after all expenses.

LOL...sorry i dont mean to sound like your wife..but i can just imagine how she reacted when you bought the car without seeing.....anyways...i was just curious of peoples experiences

btw...where is the best place to get a car? i prefer a place without winter? i've been searching Florida and they seem to have a lot.

My howardforums Feedbacks

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread. ... did=156877

Just made a Heatware account
http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=18988
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2003
1164 posts
70 upvotes
Toronto
Mike71 wrote:I'm thinking of importing this car into Canada. What do you guys think?

About This 350Z
Mileage: 15,000 Exterior Color: Black Stock #: 606255 Engine: 3.5L Transmission: 6-Speed Manual

2005 NISSAN 350Z 15M, 3.5, air, pw, c.c., premium sound, all black color, allloys, rear spioler, 6 spd manual, xlnt shape, must see - 818-349-9782, #606255 BEST PRICE, $18,600

This is by far the best price I have seen for a 350Z, especially a 2005 one. They list for about 42+ in Canada, and this would end up being about 21000 + GST plus RIV and inspection fees. And none of you clowns try to steal my car cause I found it first!! :D
Which model is it? Base, Enthusiast, Touring, Grand Touring...?

That's an amazing price. As another poster said you might want to check to see if it has been in any accidents.
Which website did you use to look up used 350Z's?

818 is a California area code right? Are you flying all the way down there to drive it back up?

I'm looking into importing a new one from Buffalo. I've confirmed that Buffalo dealers will sell new 350Z's to Canadians.
May 8, 2006
19 posts
if those cars have a rebuilt/ salvage title.. should be cheaper ;)
Jul 23, 2003
829 posts
4 upvotes
Lindsay
Avoid it if Salvage Title ..I looked into it and is near impossible in Ontario, anyways...Otherwise great deal...or consider importing a new one...Dealer invoice is about $25k on a new base model 350Z
Nov 18, 2004
226 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
How did you guys get a buffalo dealer to agree to sell to you? I'm trying to buy a Scion xB and the dealers I contacted would not sell to a Canadian. Would I have to walk through their doors (as opposed to emailing/calling them from Toronto?)

Thanks
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2002
1294 posts
279 upvotes
Mississauga
barold wrote:How did you guys get a buffalo dealer to agree to sell to you? I'm trying to buy a Scion xB and the dealers I contacted would not sell to a Canadian. Would I have to walk through their doors (as opposed to emailing/calling them from Toronto?)

Thanks
FYI, from a friend who works at Lexus, no Ontario dealers are touching the xB for service as they don't have the shop manuals for them.
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2003
1164 posts
70 upvotes
Toronto
barold wrote:How did you guys get a buffalo dealer to agree to sell to you? I'm trying to buy a Scion xB and the dealers I contacted would not sell to a Canadian. Would I have to walk through their doors (as opposed to emailing/calling them from Toronto?)

Thanks
I emailed one of the buffalo nissan dealers and they called me back on my cell.
Dec 10, 2003
133 posts
12 upvotes
As my car died on the weekend, I'm now looking at buying another one. I've been talking to one of the Buffalo Subaru dealers mentioned here. If anyone wants to compare Subaru notes, PM me.
Mar 12, 2005
987 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
This would be a great topic for the next RFD Article (save us all from reading 20+ pages of posts, not to mention the innumerable links)

Any takers?
Winner of an XBox 360... Wednesday October 26th

On December 24th 2005, Trolldealhunter wrote "i dont want to see this year going to waste, last year the Tsunami made me miss the deals" ... talk about perspective when it comes to Boxing Day deals...
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
15906 posts
1814 upvotes
bibison wrote:if those cars have a rebuilt/ salvage title.. should be cheaper ;)
Apparently a flood of those cars due to Hurricane Katrina last year - dunno if I'll take a chance with a salvage car. For all you know, the base of the car could have been immersed in water.

THIS APPLIES TO NEW CARS TOO! Shady dealerships are reselling flood damaged cars as new... :(
mack wrote:btw...where is the best place to get a car? i prefer a place without winter? i've been searching Florida and they seem to have a lot.
Hot places like that have other problems ... i.e. flooding. So check underneath the seats, in the spare tire comparment, etc to look for water stains. If possible try checking underneath the carpet/upholstery ... they may have refinished the car - but the body may still be wrecked ;)

Check even if you're buying the car in Buffalo ... after natural disasters in the US - cars just go "missing". Basically cars were getting towed to places like Cali, Northern US, etc and being sold of to people who would not expect a flood damaged car:

http://kdka.com/consumer/local_story_272170518.html
http://www.carfax.com/car_buying/flood_damage_cars.cfm
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel