Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Sep 19, 2005
113 posts
Ottawa
But on the eve of Canada Day we have to at least feel a bit bad about it....
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2001
3785 posts
269 upvotes
Kitchener
Brian2k1 wrote:so glad to hear this. I like many other people realize that with the large decline in the dollar companies have been taking advantage of canadian customers by maintaning the current price structure instead of adjusting to the new currency exchange rates. It's not like the decline happened overnight, the U.S. dollar was been weak for a long time.

Fundementally, there is a problem with importing from the U.S. Whether you buy in the U.S. or Canada the company still makes a sale and collects revenue, inevitably this hurts our domestic market, and the economy which we rely on, IF enough people did this. Theorhetically, the low US dollar should correct itself with greater U.S. exports to countries like Canada who realize the advantage. Also theorhetically, Canadians should realize lower prices on imported products, but multi-national corporations don't exactly play by the rules laid out by Adam Smith, they don't have to rush to re-adjust prices on currency fluctations, especially when we are accustomed to buying at higher prices.

At the end of the day, whose interests are we to protect, our own or our country's? In the end, the company earns their bucks, we as consumers choose where they are spent, in Canada or the US.

Something to think about.
And the point is ?
I don't think is right to encourgae the dealers and importers to rip us of just because we love our country.....
I agree , buying domestic cars or cars made in Canada helps the economy but when you buy Honda or BMW how to you help your fellow canadians ?

It is not worth getting irritated, it is not worth it.... Wish everyone happiness, and you yourself will be happy.
Aug 29, 2005
70 posts
1 upvote
If the automobile is assembled in North America, no matter who the manufacturer is, there is no 6.1% duty, otherwise there is.

You can tell where it's manufactured by looking at the first digit of the VIN. If it is a 1-5 it was built in NA. W=Germany, J=Japan
Oct 1, 2004
262 posts
1 upvote
Mississauga
look30 wrote:And the point is ?
I don't think is right to encourgae the dealers and importers to rip us of just because we love our country.....
I agree , buying domestic cars or cars made in Canada helps the economy but when you buy Honda or BMW how to you help your fellow canadians ?
Listen here jack, I armed you with information you take it as you will, thats the point since you obviously are not intelligent enough to figure out the position. There are consequences to everything short and long term, let me spell it out again for you for the simple people.

Buy imported products save your own money in the short run, in the long run this CAN hurt the domestic economy.

Buy domestic, spend more of your own money in the short run, in the long run this HELPS the domestic economy.

TAKE IT AS YOU WILL
Apr 2, 2004
677 posts
67 upvotes
johnsa wrote:Much mixed information out there..I recently researched this topic and found the following: You CAN import a new vehicle but many dealers will not sell to you as they may jeopardize their dealership franchise with the manufacturer by doing so.(this was discussed at length in the STAR)

The warranties DO vary from company to company. Most will repair your car if you are a Canadian visiting the US and need warranty work but many will not if you have imported it out of the USA..or the warranty may be different. As discussed in the Star, Ford will honour the 3 yr warranty as it offers in the USA but you will not get the 5 yr power train as it is not offered in the USA.

RIV just increased to about $220 in Canada..GST at the border, PST once you register it in your province.

Many vehicles indeed do require some modifications as our Transport Canada standards are different. Daytime running lights is most common..Another one that sucks is the 5 mile per hour bumper. A fellow I know brought over a Porsche Boxter and had to replace the entire bumper! This is the reason the Pontiac GTO and Mitsubishi EVO are not sold here...they do not meet the 5 mile per hour bumper test and the manuf. does not want to spend the money for the mods for such a small market.

Moral of the story..do your homework and do your research..Treat each vehicle differently and also each state differently ..In some states, if you buy from a dealer, you have to pay the state taxes even thought you are exporting the vehicle. Then pay PST/GST up here! that would suck!
Might be out of topic, but does anyone know how to get a EVO imported to Canada...Toronto more specifically. I know it must be possible some how...I saw 2 of them EVO VII & EVO VIII when I went to Vancouver earlier this month.

Don't ask me why I like the EVO and not just get the STI instead...but I just want one. I want a left steering ones only...and not a Japanese imported right handed ones.
May 26, 2006
189 posts
28 upvotes
Brian2k1 wrote:Listen here jack, I armed you with information you take it as you will, thats the point since you obviously are not intelligent enough to figure out the position. There are consequences to everything short and long term, let me spell it out again for you for the simple people.

Buy imported products save your own money in the short run, in the long run this CAN hurt the domestic economy.

Buy domestic, spend more of your own money in the short run, in the long run this HELPS the domestic economy.

TAKE IT AS YOU WILL
Brian lets get back on topic, I think we've all had enough preaching for today!
Deal Addict
May 10, 2003
2553 posts
1 upvote
GTA
Casper wrote:I also bought a bike in delaware and imported it a couple months back. No duty, just the RIV charge. One note...a copy of the ownership must be presented/faxed to US customs at your border crossing 72 hours before importing the vehicle. They check on liens, against stolen lists etc. You then present the original when you cross with the vehicle, and they stamp it. There's no charge from US customs.
what was your RIV cost for the bike?
Oct 18, 2003
187 posts
15 upvotes
Winnipeg
Regarding warranty issues. If you ask a local dealer DUH of course they will *say* they won't honour it. They want to instill some FUD so you'll buy it from them! Sadly for them, it isn't their decision. Talk to the manufacturer themselves and you'll find most will completely honour the warranty.

This is a common practice for those that move from Canada to the USA or vice versa for work. And no they don't ask for proof that you moved. Numerous lawsuits in the states have re-affirmed this (though I no of none in Canada) arrangement, and some even dealt with those purchasing in Canada.

Basically you don't walk into the dealer and brag how you saved a huge amount of money by going to the states, you nicely pretend you got transferred here, and go from there.

At the end of the day the dealer might be a little bitter they didn't make the $$$ on the commission but I'm sure they'll get over it once they make all the money on the warranty work.

Rich...
Jun 27, 2006
421 posts
74 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
I recently took a night course with a guy who works full time driving new cars from the Seattle to Vancouver. First stop it to have the speedo changed and the DT lights installed. I don't know what cars they
Mar 27, 2006
90 posts
1 upvote
Brian2k1 wrote:Listen here jack, I armed you with information you take it as you will, thats the point since you obviously are not intelligent enough to figure out the position. There are consequences to everything short and long term, let me spell it out again for you for the simple people.

TAKE IT AS YOU WILL
That is a load of crap.

First off domestic does not equal made in Canada. Made in the US domestic has nothing to do with us.

I'm sure we will all only buy products made in Canada and nothing else. So why don't you start. Good luck.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2003
1006 posts
147 upvotes
Toronto
eltonkk wrote:Might be out of topic, but does anyone know how to get a EVO imported to Canada...Toronto more specifically. I know it must be possible some how...I saw 2 of them EVO VII & EVO VIII when I went to Vancouver earlier this month.

Don't ask me why I like the EVO and not just get the STI instead...but I just want one. I want a left steering ones only...and not a Japanese imported right handed ones.
Can't import it. This link (PDF) has the list of what cars you can/can't bring into Canada, no matter what. Unfortuately, the EVO is on there. I believe it has to do something with the bumper specs. Trust me, I've looked into it already =(
Oct 6, 2004
872 posts
215 upvotes
Also as a heads up to anyone planning to import a vehicle from the USA or anywhere else...FEDERAL rules apply to whether you can import the vehicle and PROVINCIAL rules apply to whether or not you can actually liscence, insure and drive the vehicle on the road. I have imported a number of vehicles so I know this as a fact.

Earlier posts mentioned no need for Daytime Running Lights. Well that might be true for the actual importation but if you want to drive that car you better check your provincial regulations. In BC and many other provinces you REQUIRE daytime running lights (among other things) from 1990+.

You might say BS my imported car passed inspection and is fully insured...well that just means that that was overlooked as enforcement in the past was pretty lax. The posibility is remote but if the CVSE (Commercial Vehicle Safety Enforcement in BC) notice and pull you over, you WILL get a notice of re-inspection and will not pass until the required work is done and it doesn't matter how long ago you originally imported the car.

BC is currently the under fairly heavy enforcement of all BC Motor Vehicle Act requirements as of late due to the HUGE increase in the import of Japanese vehicles under the '15year rule' over the last couple years. Most other provinces are not as harsh right now but are moving in that direction.

That said...DRL conversion kits are like $25 at Canadian Tire.... :)
Jun 21, 2004
86 posts
Montreal
When you buy the car in the US, what about the license plate? Do you get a temporary State license paper? Also, what about insurance? When I imported my car, I had to have it towed since no insurance company would insure a car not registered in my province.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2005
1846 posts
202 upvotes
North Vancouver
Hi, Thanks for your awesome work. It makes me clearly for the manufacture policy.

It seems like Toyota allowed you take the warranty in Canada, Right?
I am not sure if Toyota allowed their USA dealer to sell vehicle to canadian. :)

I lived in BC, there is 20% price difference for the 2007 new Camry.
Rehan wrote:That is the case for Subaru, but not for all other manufacturers (Honda/Acura and Daimler Chrysler, for example).
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... ost1089211