Ongoing Deal Discussion

Always

WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Jan 21, 2004
328 posts
4 upvotes
if u import a used car, would u still have to pay GST/PST?
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2003
4289 posts
679 upvotes
Toronto
sstackho wrote: Has anyone contacted Volkswagen regarding the transferability of the warranty?
I have, and they said the warranty is transferable.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2005
3122 posts
909 upvotes
North Vancouver
McLaren wrote: I have, and they said the warranty is transferable.
so 4 Years or 80K Kms, go for Passat!!!!!! :) USD 21K in US
Dec 5, 2002
326 posts
236 upvotes
ecgz88 wrote: so 4 Years or 80K Kms, go for Passat!!!!!! :) USD 21K in US
I was looking into that, but it doesn't appear to be worth it for the Passat wagon, at least. Starts around US$26K and will be subject to the 6.1% import duty.

On the other hand, it looks like you can bring a base Jetta back over the border for C$23k after all taxes, whereas it will cost you around $30k to buy up here.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2005
3122 posts
909 upvotes
North Vancouver
So Passat Wagon is made in German? and Passat& Jetta made in Mexico?

I don't know howmuch you can get in CA for below MSRP, in US normally you can get Passat Below Invoice.
TE]
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2003
4289 posts
679 upvotes
Toronto
All Passat's are made in Germany. Rabbit and GTI are made in Germany for the time being as well. Only Jetta's are made in Mexico at the moment.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2004
5156 posts
616 upvotes
in a plane
ecgz88 wrote: I don't know howmuch you can get in CA for below MSRP, in US normally you can get Passat Below Invoice.
Below MSRP or below invoice, 'cause that's a big diff - below invoice the dealer would be selling it at a loss, while below MSRP still means he makes at least some money.
Doko ni itemo... hito wa tsunagatte iru.
  • Get an Amex - get lots of points - get good karma! :)
  • wandering amphibia – a travel blog for the non-frequent traveler
Jun 1, 2005
799 posts
5 upvotes
Pseudo Nim wrote: Below MSRP or below invoice, 'cause that's a big diff - below invoice the dealer would be selling it at a loss, while below MSRP still means he makes at least some money.
Below invoice doesn't mean a dealer would be selling at a loss..it means the dealer won't make as much money..if you buy a car at a dealership and it's below apa price or invoice..generally, the dealer does not lose money..they actually gain due to holdbacks and everything from the car manufacturer...if they were to sell 2g less then invoice, yes they probably will be losing money..but 100 below..not the case..
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2005
3122 posts
909 upvotes
North Vancouver
In the middle of this year, I 'm in Edmunds forum watch Passat price every day, they do have around $2000 manufacture to dealer rebate, so dealer are not losing money

Car dealer will never losing money, they are not charity,don't believe what they say.

I know in BC Toyota you'll get MSRP Price, I don't know how VW works?
Pseudo Nim wrote: Below MSRP or below invoice, 'cause that's a big diff - below invoice the dealer would be selling it at a loss, while below MSRP still means he makes at least some money.
Feb 25, 2002
56 posts
Question.. This might be addressed before but I would like to clarify related duty charge.

If i import a "non-american" brand car but the car is actually assemble in North America. Do I need to pay duty at custom?

For example, Acura MDX and Mercedes ML SUV are assembled in USA. Their VINs start with 2 and 4 respectively.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks! :confused:
Dec 5, 2002
326 posts
236 upvotes
icetea168 wrote: If i import a "non-american" brand car but the car is actually assemble in North America. Do I need to pay duty at custom?
If it is assembled in the US, it won't be subject to duty. The brand name makes no difference.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1356 posts
220 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
There are many similar vehicles that vary in their country of origin.

I know the Mazda6 is considered a NAFTA car whereas the Mazdaspeed is made in Japan and subject to import duty.

Here's an interesting link.

Sadly it only shows the UAW unionized plants but gives you an idea of the diversity.

http://www.uaw.org/uawmade/cartruck2006.cfm
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2005
3246 posts
1807 upvotes
rtto5588 wrote: Below invoice doesn't mean a dealer would be selling at a loss..it means the dealer won't make as much money..if you buy a car at a dealership and it's below apa price or invoice..generally, the dealer does not lose money..they actually gain due to holdbacks and everything from the car manufacturer...if they were to sell 2g less then invoice, yes they probably will be losing money..but 100 below..not the case..
Check this out all...

http://www.carbuyingtips.com/car4.htm
Nov 1, 2006
58 posts
3 upvotes
Pickering
icetea168 wrote: Question.. This might be addressed before but I would like to clarify related duty charge.

If i import a "non-american" brand car but the car is actually assemble in North America. Do I need to pay duty at custom?

For example, Acura MDX and Mercedes ML SUV are assembled in USA. Their VINs start with 2 and 4 respectively.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks! :confused:

If it is manufactured in North America - no duty.
How will you know that? If VIN starts with 1-5 - no duty.
If it starts with W, J or something else - 6,1 % duty.

Will you be charged a local tax in US, and how to avoid it? (page 21)
Why you need to tell to US dealer that you are exporting the car? (page 22)
What is the only charge in US you need to pay? (page 22)

How to transport it to Canada - drive it by yourself or shipping? (page 23)
When is the shipping a good option? (page 24)
What are the three options you have? (page 25)

PM me for website where you can get this book as member of this forum with over 60% of saving!
Jan 17, 2005
621 posts
2 upvotes
0302alen wrote: If it is manufactured in North America - no duty.
How will you know that? If VIN starts with 1-5 - no duty.
If it starts with W, J or something else - 6,1 % duty.

Will you be charged a local tax in US, and how to avoid it? (page 21)
Why you need to tell to US dealer that you are exporting the car? (page 22)
What is the only charge in US you need to pay? (page 22)

How to transport it to Canada - drive it by yourself or shipping? (page 23)
When is the shipping a good option? (page 24)
What are the three options you have? (page 25)

PM me for website where you can get this book as member of this forum with over 60% of saving!
(PG 21) dont need to "avoid" it because you are EXPORTING
(PG 22) see pg 21
(pG 23) up to you
(PG 24) the gas plus the flight cost more than the shipping

Don't need to buy a book on exporting just go check www.car101.com for more info on exporting
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1356 posts
220 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Why would anyone pay for a book outlining these details when we are collectively providing the information to RFDers for free.

If you don't tell a US dealer you are exporting the car, HE IS REQUIRED to charge you sales tax (unless you work for the US military).

There are no "extra" or "hidden charges" when buying a car in the US.

If you're driving the car, you will need to pay for temporary plates for EVERY state you drive through.

Legally you can't use US temporary plates in Canada and are required to purchase Canadian provincial transit plates. I confirmed this with both my insurance carrier (State Farm) and my provincial transportation office (MTO for me).

If you want to PM me and feel compelled to share in your savings by giving me money for providing this information to you, that's entirely up to you.

Since Christmas is coming up, why not make a donation to a local kids hospital or hospice instead in the name of RFDers everywhere.

Thanks for all your PMs guys. Shame on the car dealers (you know who you are) who insist on telling me this blog is full of misinformation.
Sep 18, 2005
523 posts
46 upvotes
Well said Monsieur! Why not just spend the time to inform yourself using this thread? Charging for a book is hardly a RFD!
Monsieurmaggot wrote: Why would anyone pay for a book outlining these details when we are collectively providing the information to RFDers for free.

If you don't tell a US dealer you are exporting the car, HE IS REQUIRED to charge you sales tax (unless you work for the US military).

There are no "extra" or "hidden charges" when buying a car in the US.

If you're driving the car, you will need to pay for temporary plates for EVERY state you drive through.

Legally you can't use US temporary plates in Canada and are required to purchase Canadian provincial transit plates. I confirmed this with both my insurance carrier (State Farm) and my provincial transportation office (MTO for me).

If you want to PM me and feel compelled to share in your savings by giving me money for providing this information to you, that's entirely up to you.

Since Christmas is coming up, why not make a donation to a local kids hospital or hospice instead in the name of RFDers everywhere.

Thanks for all your PMs guys. Shame on the car dealers (you know who you are) who insist on telling me this blog is full of misinformation.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1356 posts
220 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I'm curious to know, is it possible to get an idea of how many people out there have actually followed our advice and purchased from the US SINCE seeing this post?

I received a note from a person (dealer I bet) today saying that the impact I am making is relatively insignificant to the Canadian marketplace.

Maybe true, but I must imagine that the dealers are also reading my posts diligently.

With 130,000+ reads and close to 1000 responses, I must imagine at least a couple of dozen RFDers have taken my advice.
Mar 5, 2003
347 posts
18 upvotes
Ottawa
Just a note on the Alexandria Bay crossing, it looks like they may have woken up, and realised that the old procedure is wrong:

http://www.siennaclub.org/forum/index.p ... 1877&st=80

"BE CAREFUL! Bro...

Called Alexandria bay and they said you have to MAIL/UPS the org-MSO( they said, title)(NOT COPY/FAX) to them and you just keep the copy one. Make sure you done that before 72 hours. Dog_Man crosed Queenstone border."

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)