Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Jan 20, 2006
613 posts
25 upvotes
Montreal
scrolllock wrote:
Oct 30th, 2007 12:49 pm
ymlccc wrote:
Oct 30th, 2007 12:35 pm
Guys,

I got back yesterday with my new baby 2008 Subaru outback limited with VDC from Xan Perterson Manchester, NH.

Congratulations.... do you have a immobilizer in the car? If the car was built before September it should not be a problem. If not does it meet the Canadian Standard?
answer: according to cars 101, all the 2008 Outback has immobilizer keys. I got exactly the same one on the pic.

quoted from JOE (cars101):
new 2008 New one piece key and remote for Outback, Legacy, Tribeca.
New: all Imprezas have Immobilizer keys, and new for any Subaru, a Laser cut key.
Chipped immobilizer key now standard on all Legacy, Outback, Tribeca and Impreza models, and on the Forester XT and XT Sports. Not on Forester X, X Premium or LLBean
Symcrapico wrote:
Oct 30th, 2007 1:16 pm
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee....Congrat man!
Thanks man, without you, none of this can be done!
lake600 wrote:
Oct 30th, 2007 1:31 pm
Congras!!! :)

Will they sell to international student study in Canada? I'm a chinese student in Halifax NS, and I have both Chinese and Nova Scotia driver license.
Do they have a website I can check?
Thanks in advance!
NOT sure, you have to make sure you're ok with Canadian government.
Bullseye wrote:
Oct 30th, 2007 1:37 pm
wqdfsffsd
see the answer above and below
scrolllock wrote:
Oct 30th, 2007 12:49 pm

I don't get all this immobilizer stuff, my 2008 Outback 2.5i has one, and it was built in Sept. Riv just e-mailed my Form 2, does that mean I'm okay? Or will I have a problem with the Cdn Tire inspection?

I'm a little confused on this one...
no worry, 2008 outback is fine, I BELIEVE. Coz mine is manufacturer in June 07.
Deal Guru
Jul 16, 2003
10049 posts
370 upvotes
Toronto
flaming homer wrote:
Oct 30th, 2007 1:45 pm
My father's 2008 Tribeca was finally plated today, delayed by the fact that the RIV office didn't accept dealer letter of clearance and wanted a "print-out" that the dealer could not generate. Subaru of America responded with a faxed letter within 1 business day, they must be loving all these extra Canadian business.

The dealer was Doyle Subaru in Rochester. They had the 2008 Tribeca on-lot and came close to Van Bortel's prices, not like those Subaru robbers in Buffalo. Incidently they are attached to a larger Chevy dealership, and the salesman claims they sell Chevy to Canadians too.
did you go with your dad to get the car? or did you buy it for him? I'm just trying to figure out how the insurance and ownership would work....

i'm looking to pay the deposit, pay via bank draft and bring back to canada.. but i would want everything under my dad's insurance and his ownership as it would be his car..
Follow me on instagram to see Toronto https://instagram.com/kennyk3n/
Feb 23, 2007
3 posts
james-007 wrote:
Oct 30th, 2007 11:37 am
I am also thinking about importing Tacoma, I called RIV last Thursday and they said all 2008 trucks, suvs and vans are admissible because they fall under section 5 of the RIV document. Of course stay away from the onces on the inadmissible column.
Thanks for the response, I feel a little better now.
Nov 26, 2003
162 posts
32 upvotes
Trexim wrote:
Oct 30th, 2007 10:33 am
Hertz Web quoted $725.64 for a one way trip from Montreal airport to Manchester Airport :-0 Did you get a (much?) better deal?

Thanks,
I ended up renting a one-way with Avis (single day), and had a relatively good experience with them.

- Compared to other rentals for where I was headed, most other rentals only gave me an option of dropping off in the US at an airport location (which wasn't the ideal dropoff for me). By dropping off at the location I wanted it saved me a good 40 minutes (I had the salesman pick me up from there)

- Pricing appeared to be the best I could find (plus there was either a 20 or 25% costco coupon that anyone could apply).

- I intended on renting a compact, was quoted at $90 (after discount). They noted that they had a US vehicle (minivan) in their lot, and automatically upgraded that to me, plus further reducing my rental charge down to $70. (renting a minivan normally would've cost ~$150)
Oct 14, 2007
109 posts
Pierrefonds, Quebec
J233 wrote:
Oct 29th, 2007 9:28 pm
Yeah..I saw that too. It's not the specs but anyway...the interesting part is that it looks like the CMVSS 144 amendment is based on some standard from 1998 ! I have a hard time following the logic that the immobilizer system installed in a 2008 Acura does not conform to a 1998 standard....
The immobilizer on the Honda Civic 2008 is not the issue! Just go to the www.IBC.ca and call one of the companies that install immobilizers. They will not take your old one out( if there is one) but they will just install one on top of the existing one at a cost of around $400.00. The one they install will be certified to meet the spec. Reason you can't get it done at CT is that all personnel doing this work must be ULC approved and have passed police checks etc...etc.. So now what is the real reason the Honda Civic 2008 has not been approved???? Please don't start any rumors until someone from the Transport Canada let us know, unless you know for sure!
Standing Up for Consumers / Fair Automobile Pricing For Canadians
Please visit our site, sign our petition advocating Fair Pricing For Canadians, keep up with the latest import news, join our forum and team of members located all across Canada and 123 countries. All for free.
CarsWithoutBorders.com
http://www.carswithoutborders.com/CWBlogowithwords.jpg
Sep 28, 2007
12 posts
Ontario
Just want to let everyone know that our car experience is still not over but have heard that Toyota has sent the paperwork releasing 2008 Toyotas for import into Canada to RIV last Thursday Oct 25th.
Our friends had purchased a 2008 Avalon Limited 3rd party in the states and we picked it up last Tuesday Oct 23rd. in the states. We had to leave it in the states as it was not on the RIV list. They called Toyota Canada re: their letter of admissability and were told that it would not be sent out because of the release to import Toyotas was sent to RIV. Our friends then called RIV and the girl said yes the paperwork is there but it was not on the list yet as they only update every 2 weeks. They asked about bringing the car into Canada and RIV suggested do it and just have customs call RIV. I think because our friends had been storing the car and already had it in their possession RIV suggested calling. They showed up at our front door this morning just before lunch with their new Avalon...things are looking up for toyota lovers - I think the next official update will be around Nov 9th. Good luck to all you importers!!!
Oct 9, 2007
71 posts
Montrea;
james-007 wrote:
Oct 30th, 2007 11:37 am
I am also thinking about importing Tacoma, I called RIV last Thursday and they said all 2008 trucks, suvs and vans are admissible because they fall under section 5 of the RIV document. Of course stay away from the onces on the inadmissible column.
I am confused also.I called RIV this am about a 2008 Honda CRV. They told me they have no info on the 2008's. I told them that their list was updated yesterday and that the CRV was a SUV and should be covered under section 5.3. She then told me that it was "probably ok to import" but I should check with Honda USA to be sure.

Can you imagine that is like asking wolves if the the hen house security is OK!
Jul 8, 2007
11 posts
Toronto
Thanks for all the informations here. I successfully imported a 2007 Audi Q7 from New Jersey. The vehicle is slightly used with 5,000 miles but the savings are more that 20K :) .

Just want to share my experience regarding the recall clearance letter. Visited the RIV office yesterday morning when I drove the vehicle back with the dealer provided recall clearance letter following exactly the instruction posted on the RIV website how to prepare the dealer recall letter. But the clerk at RIV just said the letter is not acceptable and refuse to listen to my explanation. I had to call Audi USA head office and got my recall letter from them in two hours and faxed over to RIV. When called RIV office later, they said it will take at least 72 hours for them to put my recall letter into their system since the fax volume is extremely high.

Lesson learned, if possible, always get your recall clearance letter from the manufacturer instead of dealership. Do not trust what RIV website and the customer service people said on the phone (I called them three times before I head down to US and they said dealer recall letter is okay but was plainly rejected by the clerk in the office without properly explanation :( ).
Jul 24, 2007
545 posts
1 upvote
cybermat wrote:
Oct 30th, 2007 1:38 pm
I have been lurking around for a while. Yesterday, I successfully imported a Subaru Legacy from the US. Thanks to this thread, there were no surprises. Everything was as expected.

I just want to take some time to thank diigii, Monsieurmaggot, and everyone who have contributed to this thread.

For all the new people, everything that you need to know is in this thread, just take some time to read through it. If you still have questions afterwards, feel free to PM me. I will be happy to assist you.

Cheers
CONGRATS to Cybermat, ymlccc, scrolllock! Enjoy your new cars!

Cybermat, you're welcome. I'm just doing my part and helping out because I was in the same situation as you guys before. I'm happy to return the favor. Monsieurmaggot deserves all the accolades. We should all get together soon.
Jul 16, 2005
305 posts
2 upvotes
Oshawa
flaherty is a dumbass - 20 out of 20 economists agree. rather than cutting income taxes as much as possible, he's pushed up the gst cut.

the upside - now you can save another 1% if you wait until january to import your american cars.

the downside - in effect, a 1% surtax on all consumer products purchased between now and december 31st. i wonder if it will have a negative impact on the retail economy for the next 2 months...
Oct 29, 2007
2 posts
Toronto
I have successfully completed import of new MDX sport - for those waiting reg admissibility - I can confirm it is admissible, it falls under section 5. The immobilizer is not an issue - CT will walk around the vehicle and will not bother about it. If you live in the GTA try CT at East Mall Ave and Queensway.

Some observations:
* US customs did not call back after two tries, I believe too busy to call back these days - there were 10 buyers ahead of me at around 8am. They won't bother to check the car as long as they can see it from their window
* At Lewiston crossing you fill your own Form 1 and they do not fax you recall letter for you. Also no one will inspect the car. Once you pay GST (long line - 30 minutes) you are on your way
* At RIV office you pay and wait around 30 minutes to get your Form 2 - no need to wait 2 days.
* At MTO you can easily have the car registered on someone else's name (I wanted my wife's name on it). I went to Cloverdale mall, familiar with the process, but be prepared to line for 40 minutes.

All can be done within a day.

Many thanks to everyone in this thread for the invaluable assistance - phone/fax number (Lewiston), drawing and pics of US customs office (at Lewinston), and the many others who provided tips and info.

Sad to say my dealer has been requested not to sell to Canadians anymore - used cars are not a problem.

cyber007 - I think we meet at the RIV office, glad to hear you solved your recall letter issue. Great car - congrats.
Jan 25, 2006
268 posts
25 upvotes
Kamloops wrote:
Sep 21st, 2007 7:57 pm
Not sure about mods but you will get a 6.1% extra dutie, they are made in Japan. Still save a ton.

The 350Z has a base price of about $28,000 in the US. In Canada, the base price is $49,800 (though it does come with a bit more standard equipment - not much). That's a 56% mark-up!
Simply put, the Canadian market gets SCREWED when it comes to low volume and /or performance cars. Screwed. It's not like changing the speedo in the dash and giving people the option of French labels costs $10,000. Why would a person pay $50,000 Cdn. for a new 350Z when they can go across the border and get one for $35,000 after duty and exchange?!

$28,000 is for the lowest 350z model - Canada sells the GRAND TOURING model only which has a tun of extra stuff, the traction control, cruise control, in car speaker phone, subwoofer/ upgraded stereo etc. etc. GRAND TOURING is more like 38k USD new.

To import it is 6.1% duty + GST (5% come january) + $150 A/C fee. It's still worth while though. The main thing holding me back is I don't have a garage and it's winter coming up!
Oct 15, 2007
5 posts
Calgary
Q8888 wrote:
Oct 30th, 2007 4:48 pm
I have successfully completed import of new MDX sport - for those waiting reg admissibility - I can confirm it is admissible, it falls under section 5. The immobilizer is not an issue - CT will walk around the vehicle and will not bother about it. If you live in the GTA try CT at East Mall Ave and Queensway.

Some observations:
* US customs did not call back after two tries, I believe too busy to call back these days - there were 10 buyers ahead of me at around 8am. They won't bother to check the car as long as they can see it from their window
* At Lewiston crossing you fill your own Form 1 and they do not fax you recall letter for you. Also no one will inspect the car. Once you pay GST (long line - 30 minutes) you are on your way
* At RIV office you pay and wait around 30 minutes to get your Form 2 - no need to wait 2 days.
* At MTO you can easily have the car registered on someone else's name (I wanted my wife's name on it). I went to Cloverdale mall, familiar with the process, but be prepared to line for 40 minutes.

Many thanks to everyone in this thread for the invaluable assistance - phone/fax number (Lewiston), drawing and pics of US customs office (at Lewinston), and the many others who provided tips and info.

Sad to say my dealer has been requested not to sell to Canadians anymore - used cars are not a problem.

cyber007 - I think we meet at the RIV office, glad to hear you solved your recall letter issue. Great car - congrats.
Great news but can you confirm the manufacture date of your 08 MDX? The concern I have is for vehicle manufactured after Sept 1, 2007 that RIV will require a immobilizer that meets CMVSS 114 requirements. Thanks.
Jul 8, 2007
11 posts
Toronto
Yes. Audi USA send me recall letter less than 2 hours. But RIV told me I had to wait at least 72 hours before they can get my recall letter into their system. Oh well, like we both experienced at the border, even at 8:00AM in the morning there are lineup at US export office, I am sure now RIV office have huge piles of import requests coming in...

You MDX looks great too. Congratulation for your savings as well. Hope more people will benefit from this great site and great people helping out :)
Q8888 wrote:
Oct 30th, 2007 4:48 pm

Some observations:

Oct 22, 2007
14 posts
Ontario
Four questions:

1) Where do I get French air bag stickers that comply with the RIV guidelines?

2) Has anyone had any problems getting a Lexus-issued recall letters?

3) Does anyone know when Lexus will have its 2008 models on the RIV site?

4) I heard that the Lexus IS 250/ 350 need no modifications, except for the French stickers. Is this true?