756 upvotes
Calgary

Iphone XR - roughly $520 + tax - Tab Large

Deal Link:
Savings:
50%
Retailer:
wowmobile
Wow Mobile has the Iphone XR at what I think is a new record low price.
NOTE: This is only a deal if you plan on cancelling after signing up just to get the phone.

Right now, WowMobile has the Tab Large ($80 tab... blah) for $200 down on iphone XR.
Tab large is $480.
So that's $680. Plus a $35 activation fee... plus a few days service before you cancel.

However! There's a $200 gift card with new activation right now.

So that's:
(($480+$200+$35)*Tax) minus $200.
In Alberta that's $715 + tax. = $750.15
Minus $200.
Results in $550.75
And then maybe $1 for a Bell simcard on ebay. (to port out to cancel) And then maybe 1-2 days of service.

This is pretty hot. Assuming you're comfortable with signing up just to port out and cancel. $550 for a iphone xr after tax in alberta.
Roughly half price.

Link: https://www.wowmobile.ca/en/smartphones ... iphone-xr/
36 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
1665 posts
360 upvotes
Toronto
I am really confused with this approach. You are saying that you can sign up for a cell plan, pay off the phone and then cancel and keep the phone? Is that legal? Sounds pretty shady. I assume, even if you can technically do it, they will ban you forever from their services. It may not be theft but it must be the closest thing to it.
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2004
1013 posts
210 upvotes
Are you new here?

No, it’s not theft, it’s not illegal and no, you won’t get banned “forever.” This isn’t a new process, there are hundreds of threads about how to do this.
Aug 17, 2018
263 posts
116 upvotes
pmcd wrote:
Jun 16th, 2019 11:40 pm
I am really confused with this approach. You are saying that you can sign up for a cell plan, pay off the phone and then cancel and keep the phone? Is that legal? Sounds pretty shady. I assume, even if you can technically do it, they will ban you forever from their services. It may not be theft but it must be the closest thing to it.
Been going on for a while.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2017
1387 posts
756 upvotes
Calgary
85matt wrote:
Jun 16th, 2019 11:57 pm
What gift card is it?
Wow mobile does vanilla MasterCards.
So you can use these anywhere MasterCard is accepted. It's basically cash.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2008
2350 posts
1517 upvotes
pmcd wrote:
Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Fanatic
Oct 21, 2015
6181 posts
32004 upvotes
pmcd wrote:
Fate wrote:
Jun 16th, 2019 11:47 pm
Are you new here?

No, it’s not theft, it’s not illegal and no, you won’t get banned “forever.” This isn’t a new process, there are hundreds of threads about how to do this.
95thRiflesOCI wrote:
Jun 16th, 2019 11:49 pm
Been going on for a while.
pongster wrote:
Jun 17th, 2019 12:14 am
Face With Tears Of Joy
YES! IT IS ILLEGAL and it is bad! Just don't do it guys and girls. And the store can blacklist you at anytime.

*If you live in Vancouver, just don't do it. Thanks*
Cellphones: Rogers, Telus, Koodo, Freedom, Public Mobile Special Deals

Shaw Internet 300 = $50/month + $250 credits
Telus Internet 150 = $55/months + $400 credits + Pik tv
Aug 3, 2018
89 posts
17 upvotes
How is it illegal you sign up on a contract and you have the right to cancel anytime by paying off your remaining device balance. I dont know wtf world you live in
Nov 5, 2004
24 posts
37 upvotes
Thatdealguy wrote:
Jun 17th, 2019 12:40 am
YES! IT IS ILLEGAL and it is bad! Just don't do it guys and girls. And the store can blacklist you at anytime.

*If you live in Vancouver, just don't do it. Thanks*
It's one thing to say it's not ethical, another to say it's illegal which it is not.
Quote the law or you are plain LYING.
Aug 3, 2018
89 posts
17 upvotes
You should check the terms and conditions of your contract to find out what your cancellation rights are. You’ll probably have to pay a fee to cancel a contract if you've decided you don't want it anymore.

However, you might be legally entitled to cancel the contract without a fee if either:

you signed up less than 14 days ago (ie you’re within a ‘cooling off period’)
the price of the contract has gone up
Oct 7, 2017
366 posts
348 upvotes
lalala wrote:
Jun 17th, 2019 1:10 am
It's one thing to say it's not ethical, another to say it's illegal which it is not.
Quote the law or you are plain LYING.
Your sarcasm metre is extremely broken, dog...
Feb 17, 2017
850 posts
530 upvotes
Calgary
ClarkZuckerberg wrote:
Jun 17th, 2019 1:22 am
Your sarcasm metre is extremely broken, dog...
Haha indeed. In all seriousness though, is it even possible to be unethical towards a Canadian telco (especially the big 3)? They all screw us on a daily basis, we’re just returning the favour.
Oct 7, 2017
366 posts
348 upvotes
CanadianSpruce wrote:
Jun 17th, 2019 1:29 am
Haha indeed. In all seriousness though, is it even possible to be unethical towards a Canadian telco (especially the big 3)? They all screw us on a daily basis, we’re just returning the favour.
Probably some way, though I see where you're coming from. But I don't see how OP's deal has anything to do with ethics. Who are you screwing over here? Companies don't setup deals like this unless they're still making a profit. This is all in THEIR OWN CONTRACTS THAT THEY DREW UP. No one is "pulling one over" on someone. It's all as clear as day. They set the deal, not us. This isn't some price error. There's some argument for ethics there; not here.