Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
wowmobile

Iphone XR - roughly $520 + tax - Tab Large

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 19th, 2019 8:24 am
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2017
3320 posts
2372 upvotes
Vic00002 wrote: You should check the terms and conditions of your contract to find out what your cancellation rights are. You’ll probably have to pay a fee to cancel a contract if you've decided you don't want it anymore.

However, you might be legally entitled to cancel the contract without a fee if either:

you signed up less than 14 days ago (ie you’re within a ‘cooling off period’)
the price of the contract has gone up
I mean how ethical this is is all up to you to decide, some may be more willing to go this route for cheap phones than others. Now cancelling and keeping the phone doesn’t apply under the trial period, which is mandatory to be offered by carriers. How people get out of the contract is just by the cancellation clause on the contract. Here’s information on what your charged when cancelling with Koodo.
What charges am I responsible for when my service ends with Koodo?
If you cancel your service or if Koodo cancels it for any reason, you remain responsible for your Koodo Tab and for all amounts chargeable to your account up to the time the service is cancelled. Any recurring charges that were billed at the beginning of your billing cycle will be partially refunded so that you are only charged for the portion of the month in which your service was active.
Nothing said cancellation fees right? That’s illegal so your only on the hook for the tab amount and usage charges and any other fee that Koodo would otherwise typically charge anyway.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2017
3320 posts
2372 upvotes
drsnikerfreak wrote: What do you mean by port out when you cancel?
What people like to do is get a Bell or Virgin SIM from eBay for a dollar and activate the SIM as a prepaid account without any balance and transfer the number in from Koodo. When the number gets transferred, the account get closed automatically.
I recommend Virgin over Bell just for the BOGO Cineplex codes that are offered from time to time and you get them from Virgin without maintaining any rate plan or anything. You also get receive text messages with your number for free, great for verifying online services.

I ported to Public Mobile the last time I did this because I needed a new number anyway and Public Mobile doesn’t have 604 area codes, only 778 or 236 and I don’t like those. So it worked out well for me better this way.

It depends on you, would you rather open a Bell/Virgin account and spend one dollar to do so or spend more time ignoring whatever the call center agent tells you so you can close the account with them.
Deal Guru
Oct 21, 2015
12851 posts
135818 upvotes
888888 upvotes
IEpicDestroyer wrote: This is completely legal and your not breaking your contract with them at all, your just exercising the cancellation clause in their contract with you.

I personally have done this with the very IPhone 7 that I’m typing this post with. If you want the pros and cons on this, here it is:

Pros:
  • Cheap or free phone (after all associated fees)
  • You can still use Koodo in the future if you like
  • Easy to do, just sign up in person and cancel (port out easiest)
Cons:
  • May be difficult to spend gift card (does not apply to this case, it’s a prepaid MasterCard). However, the solution to this is just buy a prepaid MasterCard from that retailer, but ymmv if the retailer will let you.
  • May have difficulty cancelling if you call to cancel because call center might give you grief and lie to try and keep you but perfectly legal and allow under the contract.
  • Retailer may ban you because they lose their commission that they should have got when signing you up. You are not banned from Koodo or any other chain of third party retailers, just with the chain you signed up with if you cancel within 90 days.
please don't promote this behaviour to the new/ common rfders. I don't want the promo phones to go OOS within 5 hours :D
Costco West: BC, AB, SK & MB
Costco East: ON, Québec , NB, NS & PEI
Deal Guru
Jun 18, 2012
10924 posts
5459 upvotes
Toronto
I bought an Iphone XR outright off Kijiji for $620 recently, didn't have to deal with a provider
Dec 19, 2006
875 posts
901 upvotes
Vancouver
CanadianSpruce wrote: Haha indeed. In all seriousness though, is it even possible to be unethical towards a Canadian telco (especially the big 3)? They all screw us on a daily basis, we’re just returning the favour.
The ethics are questionable if you look at how it affects the employees and the lower management in terms of the commission they rely on to supplement their shitty wages and the shit they can get from the corporate guys above. It is within your legal right based on the contract you sign though.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2017
3320 posts
2372 upvotes
Thatdealguy wrote: please don't promote this behaviour to the new/ common rfders. I don't want the promo phones to go OOS within 5 hours :D
Fair enough, I’ll go visiting Metrotown in Burnaby instead okay? You said no Vancouver right? :p

But to be honest, these things are probably sold out at this point anyway, always RFD effect no matter how small or big the crowd is.
Deal Guru
Oct 21, 2015
12851 posts
135818 upvotes
888888 upvotes
IEpicDestroyer wrote: Fair enough, I’ll go visiting Metrotown in Burnaby instead okay? You said no Vancouver right? :p

But to be honest, these things are probably sold out at this point anyway, always RFD effect no matter how small or big the crowd is.
i meant in the future. 50% off is still not a good price for me XD. I want cheaper deals like the $300 iphone 8 deal
Costco West: BC, AB, SK & MB
Costco East: ON, Québec , NB, NS & PEI
May 31, 2019
197 posts
1033 upvotes
ManCaveGamer wrote: I bought an Iphone XR outright off Kijiji for $620 recently, didn't have to deal with a provider
Too bad, you could have bought this one for $550 brand new and not have to deal with Kijiji.
Sep 27, 2003
941 posts
336 upvotes
Earth
Looks like only Black or White are the only colour available? Is this true in store as well?
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2003
1564 posts
146 upvotes
What is the difference in calculation in choosing medium tab large tab (prepaid visa &150 vs $200)
Apr 22, 2010
310 posts
240 upvotes
Markham
It looks like the Wow-Koodoo offer changed to a $100 pre-paid credit card.
Nov 8, 2018
27 posts
14 upvotes
Halifax, NS
Think you can get the $200 offer in store still?
Oct 10, 2016
215 posts
224 upvotes
I've done this before but i dont know how to change the province to alberta to get less tax. Any experts know how to do it?
Nov 25, 2014
539 posts
727 upvotes
Toronto, ON
GarenSavel wrote: Think you can get the $200 offer in store still?
The GC amount has got reduced since the time of posting.. its now $100.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
2018 posts
465 upvotes
Toronto
ocisnicola wrote: The ethics are questionable if you look at how it affects the employees and the lower management in terms of the commission they rely on to supplement their shitty wages and the shit they can get from the corporate guys above. It is within your legal right based on the contract you sign though.
In a civilized society there are unstated, commonly accepted modes of behavior. When people start thinking that any activity that they can get away with is ok then society breaks down. You end up with fewer and fewer freedoms, more regulations in order to prevent unethical behavior and a corrupt society with people doing everything they can to get around the system. A lot of people left corrupt countries in order to move to Canada which, while not perfect, is still not a lawless, uncivilized place.The end result of people abusing return policies will affect everyone, consumers and employees. I don’t think the ethics are questionable here. It is unethical. If people’s ethics have become so flexible as to not see that there is something wrong here, then we are headed towards the law of the jungle.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2012
3267 posts
1436 upvotes
Is it ethical for a huge corporation to exploit its customers with inflated prices and locked in contracts? Is it ethical to continue to try and increase revenue every year for shareholders?
If I have answered your question, Hit the Ol' THUMBS UP❗