Wrecked car - what can I do with it?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 25th, 2018 5:47 pm
Tags:
Feb 7, 2015
16 posts
Scarborough, ON

Wrecked car - what can I do with it?

I was in a rear end collision and the front of my car was wrecked. I wasn't covered by my insurance so they just told me to dispose of it myself. I've attached a picture.

It's a 2008 Nissan Versa SL Hatchback. 80,000km. Not in driving condition at all but engine still starts, airbags deployed, front is very severely damaged, bumper of course detached. Insurance wrote it off. I was thinking of just calling a scrap company and have them pick it up but it feels like such a waste considering my tires are almost new.

I've never dealt with this before so I'm just wondering what my options are to maximize the money I'd get. If anyone has any advice or an estimate as to how much I can expect to let it go for, that would be great. Thank you
Images
  • IMG_20180222_152356.jpg
Last edited by machetene on Feb 24th, 2018 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
17 replies
Apr 29, 2017
446 posts
541 upvotes
To get the most out of it you need to part it out, strip everything out until it's a body in white then scrap it, and post all the parts online but it's not an enthusiast type of car so demand will be low, and you'll be sitting on the parts for years and will end up throwing out most.
Feb 7, 2015
16 posts
Scarborough, ON
Yeah that makes sense about the low demand for the parts. I'm not exactly willing or knowledgeable enough about cars to be able to strip all the parts. I'm guessing then my best bet is to just sell it as a whole to a scrap company? One guy told me I'd only get about 200 bucks max.

Thank you for the reply.
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3878 upvotes
Save the tires and sell them separately. You can get a significant amount (probably more than the car's worth) if they are brand new. Or if you buy a new car that uses the same specs, you can use them there.

Would be silly scrapping your car with the tires. You will lose a lot on it (when I scrapped an old car because it wouldn't start and didn't wanted to put any more money, I got 120$ for the car, but 250$ for the tires and rims as I told the scrapper I wouldn't give him the car with tires. he ended up taking it on hubs only.
Feb 7, 2015
16 posts
Scarborough, ON
That sounds like a good idea since the tires are easy enough to take off myself. I just assumed the scrappers wouldn't take it without tires. I'll probably do this.

Thank you for the reply
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5909 posts
2223 upvotes
Space
What’s the mileage? You might be able to find someone to buy it whole. I’ve repaired far worse.
Feb 7, 2015
16 posts
Scarborough, ON

The mileage is only about 80,000km lol. Very low considering its age. If you know any buyers that would be great Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Cold Sweat it's located in Scarborough (Toronto)
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7407 posts
2998 upvotes
Whitby
Put an ad on kijiji, parting out the 08 Nissan with pics and mileage. You might get lucky and connect with someone that wants the engine and/or tranny.
Put a seperate ad listing the engine with year/mileage, and another kijiji ad for the tires. I wouldn't waste time removing parts unless you have a buyer, tell them to remove parts themselves.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2869 posts
2130 upvotes
The engine/Tranny may be hard to pull in someones driveway. I'd also be worried about liabilities. If you really needed the money, experience, etc and had the time, Start pulling parts and listing on kijiji, ebay, nissan forums. Unfortunately I dont think the fruits of your labour would be worth it.
Smash that like button!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7407 posts
2998 upvotes
Whitby
6mthatch wrote: The engine/Tranny may be hard to pull in someones driveway.
Agree....someone wanting engine & tranny would pay $500 plus and take the car home.
Feb 7, 2015
16 posts
Scarborough, ON
Based on what everyone is saying, I'm going to take my time listing the car on Kijiji until I'm satisfied with an offer. Not going to bother with a scrap company (I was quoted only $150 today). I don't have the knowledge and experience to pull it apart so I'm just going to try to find a buyer for the whole thing.

Thank you all for your replies. The estimates you gave are especially helpful.

I'm going to research it myself, but if anyone has any input on how to properly sell the car so that it removes me of any liability once it's sold, I'd appreciate it. Thanks again everyone
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22438 posts
3065 upvotes
If insurance wrote it off, you get a cheque and sign the car over to the insurance company... 9/10 they won't let you buy back the car.

You should also provide poof the tires are recently bought
Feb 7, 2015
16 posts
Scarborough, ON
george__ wrote: If insurance wrote it off, you get a cheque and sign the car over to the insurance company... 9/10 they won't let you buy back the car.

Maybe written off was the wrong term for me to use as my insurance didn't cover me at all. They didn't write me a cheque. Just told me to dispose of it once the paperwork and everything was done. I didn't have collision coverage at the time. Terrible lapse in judgment.

That's a good tip about the tires. Thanks
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
7579 posts
5273 upvotes
Toronto
george__ wrote: If insurance wrote it off, you get a cheque and sign the car over to the insurance company... 9/10 they won't let you buy back the car.

Insurance wrote it off but he don't have collision on his policy and he caused the accident, so they aren't giving him anything.

OP, I agree with majority here, try to sell the car as is and take anything greater then $150.
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22438 posts
3065 upvotes
machetene wrote: Maybe written off was the wrong term for me to use as my insurance didn't cover me at all. They didn't write me a cheque. Just told me to dispose of it once the paperwork and everything was done. I didn't have collision coverage at the time. Terrible lapse in judgment.

That's a good tip about the tires. Thanks
Ah so you had liability only insurance..

In that case you can try Kijiji but have that car moved to your property so you aren't paying for storage fees!!
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2869 posts
2130 upvotes
machetene wrote: Based on what everyone is saying, I'm going to take my time listing the car on Kijiji until I'm satisfied with an offer. Not going to bother with a scrap company (I was quoted only $150 today). I don't have the knowledge and experience to pull it apart so I'm just going to try to find a buyer for the whole thing.

Thank you all for your replies. The estimates you gave are especially helpful.

I'm going to research it myself, but if anyone has any input on how to properly sell the car so that it removes me of any liability once it's sold, I'd appreciate it. Thanks again everyone
Call standard. I thought they pay roughly 300?
Smash that like button!
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2014
1399 posts
957 upvotes
I'd sell it for parts, you could make easily a few hundred if not a few thousand. Engine, transmission, suspension, interior trim, doors, seats, hatch, wheels, tires, exhaust, etc.
Banned
Oct 28, 2015
2166 posts
1229 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
how do you disassemble "engine, transmission, "?